Black Mirror

Yupo

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Is anyone watching Black Mirror?
Excellent series around the subject of human-screen interactions (phones, tv, internet, etc.).
It is kind of sick, but not really unimaginable with a slight advance in technology.

https://youtu.be/jROLrhQkK78

Edit=Video

I liked it a lot. It's like a modern Twilight Zone-style show. My favorite episode is "The Entire History of You", where every person has this chip implanted in their eyes that records everything and can then be played back and viewed later. The show does a good job of showing how technology can be used for disturbing and nefarious purposes. It's a dark premise, and that is played out in each episode, but also very interesting sci-fi storytelling IMO.

I liked that one too. Telling was the mass obsession with viewing things over and over instead of living in the now. Also interesting was the woman without the chip being treated as a real oddball for her decision to do without.
The one with the princess and the pig certainly reminded me of the recent story about PM Cameron.

Sounds really good!!

I'll have to put it in my "to watch" list. Im watching the 12 monkeys series, it's amaazing!! if you liked the movie I recommend it :D

My favorite was the second one, "15 Million Merits". Depending on how you interpret the last scene, I think it shows how misguided beliefs about how society should work create a hellish world, even though it doesn't have to be that way.

My faves were 15 million merits and the White Christmas special.

15 Million Merits was funny and depressing.
White Christmas special gets deep into what is consciousness and the dangers of technology involving it.

Those episodes were great. The Christmas one was particularly deep and disturbing for so many reasons. Great writing of a complex story.
The one with the widow was creepy in terms of how easily any of us might be faked by what we have volunteered to put out there.

Oh I forgot about the british politician who was 'bribed' to perform an act with a pig. When the news of David Cameron doing a similar thing came out, I had to wonder about the coincidence!

I binged watched this when it came out. I think if offers a pretty good road map of where society is heading.. Pretty scary stuff. What is everybody's favorite episode? Without spoiling mine would have to be s02ep1 ''Be Right Back''

What a freaking disturbing tv show that is heheh, i jwatched the first season, and the one that got me thinking a lot was "The entire history of you." The disturbing thing is how close we are to that kind of society, this episode was the perfect picture of overthinkers.. (we all have some of that.. hehe)

It is a good tv show but honestly I couldn't watch a full episode non stop I had to hit pause in some moments.. may it be cause it really scares me how close this is to our reality? and how shocking this cand be..?

Yeah it makes me feel the same way watching it. The title for the television show is sooooo fitting.. I wonder how the show effects someone who doesn't think about things like technology trumping emotional and spiritual development of am entire species. Sure we can keep making technological, but what was it all really for? The degradation of humanity.

Perri475 said:
Yeah it makes me feel the same way watching it. The title for the television show is sooooo fitting.. I wonder how the show effects someone who doesn't think about things like technology trumping emotional and spiritual development of am entire species. Sure we can keep making technological, but what was it all really for? The degradation of humanity.

I know.. that'll be interesting, do you think they'll just get lost in the tv show and watch it as some other dissociation method?

Yesterday i came across this video, it's interesting.. and i also looked for some info on his book and it's quite shocking too.. how inmersed we are in using technology for just the wrong reasons...

https://vimeo.com/65904419

To me, without spiritual development (or however you wish to define it), any technological advance only creates greed as well as a larger thirst for it. I haven't really discussed the show with anyone who pursues a materialistic life style. I could see someone disassociating and maybe just seeing each episode (I would almost say parable) as the genre it chooses to tell its story. Each episode is jarringly different in terms of genre and (to me)the points being made are really *in your face*. So really without seeing the social comentary aspects , maybe it would seem like a collection of short films?

I'm currently on my mobile, I will checkout the link you post later tonight! I'm looking for more reading material as well so maybe this will inspire to read his work!

Back
Top Bottom