Black Mirror

Thank you Oxajil,

I have watched Stranger Things some times ago but I didn’t know anything about “Cranford” and it must be good show, because Laura even recommended too. So, I am happy. Thanks again!!

[quote author= Kay Kim]So, lots show I don’t watch because that problem, even books.
Sometimes I wonder, should I watch these kind and overcome my feelings?
But I know by my heart, I never would do that.
Maybe I lives in just my small reality?[/quote]

I don’t think you have to overcome feelings that are perfectly natural Kay Kim. Not that I have watched Black Mirror! But when there is a lot of cursing involved, it get's on my nerves too.

Swearing sometimes can help bring the message across in a strong and better way. So you have to be tactful about it. And I think it can have it's uses whenever we are rightfully angry about something.

But swearing for the sake of swearing. Through throwing uncontrolled bursts of rage, or trying to look tough for the sake of it, etc. That’s not how a responsible, caring person should behave, or how caring human beings should communicate with each other. Nothing real\loving can be communicated in such manner. OSIT.

I watched the first episode of Black Mirror (the Prime Minister & the pig)- it was just too much. There's enough shock value in reading SoTT daily & the current state of affairs, so when I need some positive dissociation, I'm after something a bit more light hearted or otherwise entertaining. I've watched both seasons of Stranger Things -I thought it was pretty well done. I've never heard of Cranford, will check that out.

Arwenn said:
I watched the first episode of Black Mirror (the Prime Minister & the pig)- it was just too much. There's enough shock value in reading SoTT daily & the current state of affairs, so when I need some positive dissociation, I'm after something a bit more light hearted or otherwise entertaining. I've watched both seasons of Stranger Things -I thought it was pretty well done. I've never heard of Cranford, will check that out.

I'm along similar lines. I saw two episodes of the latest season of Black Mirror because my roommate was watching it, and it really was well done in how it portrays a dystopian future with technology, but really, I have no interest in watching any other episodes. It was really dark, and just judging from all the shows my roommate watches, there's a lot of killing, rape, violence, people with psychopathic tendencies. And sometimes it's so shocking that the images and scenes pop up in my mind afterwards. It's enough to turn me off from watching any new shows. So when I get a chance, I stick to classic 80's flicks or TV shows that are entertaining or thought-provoking without the added shock and awe factor.

Turgon said:
Arwenn said:

I'm along similar lines. I saw two episodes of the latest season of Black Mirror because my roommate was watching it, and it really was well done in how it portrays a dystopian future with technology, but really, I have no interest in watching any other episodes. It was really dark, and just judging from all the shows my roommate watches, there's a lot of killing, rape, violence, people with psychopathic tendencies. And sometimes it's so shocking that the images and scenes pop up in my mind afterwards. It's enough to turn me off from watching any new shows. So when I get a chance, I stick to classic 80's flicks or TV shows that are entertaining or thought-provoking without the added shock and awe factor.
Thanks for saying that. I feel that way sometimes too.

Added: for what it's worth, I think Cranford is a good show as well.

Yes, in some cases the series can be quite graphic, like many other things on TV.
But, I would say that the non graphic episodes do shock in another way- to see the danger of technology. For us, that is understood, but for the general public I find this helpful as they have a more naive understanding of how technology can be used by society (and psychopaths) in order to enslave us or trick us.

Here's a list of the episodes to avoid due to violence or other issues (small spoilers involved):

Season 1
Ep 1 "The National Anthem" - I think they did the man/pig sex as a joke to former PM Cameron?? (He did remind me of him) They tried to make it show how much social media matters.

Ep 3 "The Entire History of You" - Some violence as it follows an upset man who lashes out at those who lied to him. But the key issue is that with these memory recording implants, where is privacy?

Season 2
Ep 2 "White Bear" - Violence due to a survival situation. The key point is that if you erased the memory of a killer, are they still that same killer and does that justify torturing them over and over by wiping their memory?

Special Episode "White Christmas" - Suicide, but not done just to get views- but to give a reason to expose the legal issues of implant technology and those who watch others' implants. A good point of this episode is echoed in other later episodes. If you cloned your self into a virual world, is another "you" suffering in that world? It does make me wonder if 3d is sort of a 'simulation' of 4d.... much like a simulation, we are given restrictions and limits that repeatedly throughout history cause strife/war/suffering.

Season 3
Ep 2 "Playtest"- not violent but didn't really delve too deep into the issues. Mainly about how virtual reality could damage our brains. Not too deep, kind of a technicality- shallow ending.

Ep 5 "Men Against Fire" - Has violence, but also has a very good lesson on how reality enhancement can blind us to the truth. Nowadays it's done with psychology, but imagine if you could just project an evil look onto those that the establishment deems "evil"?

Season 4
Ep 3 "Crocodile"- Badly done examination of how being able to read memories could catch a killer. They went overboard focusing on the sociopathic character.

Ep 5 "Metalhead" - A survival horror, similar to Terminator series. I don't think it was overly violent like "Crocodile", but some may feel upset by it. Machines can destroy humanity, even in the smallest of intentions.

a roommate is following her and while he sees her I am close by doing anything while I hear her and see parts ... quite interesting the fact that it can (if it is not already done with different levels of advance) to experiment so carelessly with the mind and related things, for example it is already possible to connect the mind to the internet and that is only what we see ... the series itself shows, or at least the main danger that I see is that it is playing in a field that involves the brain, mind and consciousness ... could happen as many unwelcome events as we can imagine ... yes, if it is a bit dark and it is because dark levels can be reached and it has already arrived as history attests ... as I say what it has to be, it will be ... and the possibilities of something getting out of control are obviously there.

Divide By Zero said:
Yes, in some cases the series can be quite graphic, like many other things on TV.
But, I would say that the non graphic episodes do shock in another way- to see the danger of technology. For us, that is understood, but for the general public I find this helpful as they have a more naive understanding of how technology can be used by society (and psychopaths) in order to enslave us or trick us.

Here's a list of the episodes to avoid due to violence or other issues (small spoilers involved):

Season 1
Ep 1 "The National Anthem" - I think they did the man/pig sex as a joke to former PM Cameron?? (He did remind me of him) They tried to make it show how much social media matters.

Ep 3 "The Entire History of You" - Some violence as it follows an upset man who lashes out at those who lied to him. But the key issue is that with these memory recording implants, where is privacy?

Season 2
Ep 2 "White Bear" - Violence due to a survival situation. The key point is that if you erased the memory of a killer, are they still that same killer and does that justify torturing them over and over by wiping their memory?

Special Episode "White Christmas" - Suicide, but not done just to get views- but to give a reason to expose the legal issues of implant technology and those who watch others' implants. A good point of this episode is echoed in other later episodes. If you cloned your self into a virual world, is another "you" suffering in that world? It does make me wonder if 3d is sort of a 'simulation' of 4d.... much like a simulation, we are given restrictions and limits that repeatedly throughout history cause strife/war/suffering.

Season 3
Ep 2 "Playtest"- not violent but didn't really delve too deep into the issues. Mainly about how virtual reality could damage our brains. Not too deep, kind of a technicality- shallow ending.

Ep 5 "Men Against Fire" - Has violence, but also has a very good lesson on how reality enhancement can blind us to the truth. Nowadays it's done with psychology, but imagine if you could just project an evil look onto those that the establishment deems "evil"?

Season 4
Ep 3 "Crocodile"- Badly done examination of how being able to read memories could catch a killer. They went overboard focusing on the sociopathic character.

Ep 5 "Metalhead" - A survival horror, similar to Terminator series. I don't think it was overly violent like "Crocodile", but some may feel upset by it. Machines can destroy humanity, even in the smallest of intentions.

A Good summary,
Thanks'.
I think this series is an opportunity to open discussion on certain issues of New Technology.
Almost nowhere else in the main stream media ,do I see this level of intellectual input.

It can also be seen as a form of predictive programming,
but pointing that out to people, by expanding on the issues ,
can help to delay or divert their plans.

Underlying Concepts are the thing to watch for.

IE the use of implants,
and WHO has access to them,

I see this series as

Kay Kim said:
My son recommended me to watch this show but I couldn’t, because it makes me so irritated by too much F words.
My son ask me saying “can’t you handle that?”.
My answer was “I don’t gain anything by watching this kind of show and make me very irritating and upset, and anyway I don’t care, it’s not that important enough to watch”.

So, lots show I don’t watch because that problem, even books.
Sometimes I wonder, should I watch these kind and overcome my feelings?
But I know by my heart, I never would do that.
Maybe I lives in just my small reality?

This was also my reaction. -I pushed through a couple of episodes because it's so popular and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, but...

I find that I am exposed to so much darkness in the real world, deliberately seeking out the worst of the worst in order to know, (Knowledge Protects), but when it comes to fiction.., No Thank-You!

I much prefer fiction which shows decent people trying to do right by the world, who resonate on a more C's kind of level, trying to inhabit the best and wisest versions of themselves. It's why I couldn't bear to drag myself through Game of Thrones and the new Battlestar Galactica. They were just too yucky and dark.

However, I think perhaps the broad appeal of such things in the general population might stem from their subconscious minds trying to learn about hard reality because they avoid it in their day to day mechanical lives, and fiction makes it 'safe'. I think such works might serve a valuable purpose in this respect. GoT, for instance, shows the inner workings of the Psychopathic reality in terms of national power structures. That is important knowledge, but I really don't need it in my face. I get it already.

However, I wonder if the dissociative/hypnotic qualities of television might not have a powerful programming effect on unwitting people. -That is, if they spend hours every day drinking the psychopathic reality in, does that cause them to resonate and start mirroring those behaviors? Hmm...

Anyway, Black Mirror is largely on my "Nope" list in spite of some of the fascinating concepts explored. I may tune in from time to time to keep my thumb on the pulse of the pop culture world, but I definitely feel ill after exposure.

One show I was, however, impressed with was something called, "Travelers". -Smart and compassionate and intriguing. It carries a number of C-type themes. I'd recommend that to folks here and be curious as to their response.

My favorite was the second one, "15 Million Merits". Depending on how you interpret the last scene, I think it shows how misguided beliefs about how society should work create a hellish world, even though it doesn't have to be that .

Well, my son told me that this show in Black Mirror “15 Million Merits” already started in China and I have to watch how scary things might happening other countries near future too. So, I watched it. But who knows, it might become more scarer than tv show.

China's 'social credit' system bans millions from travelling

I just watches S01E03. Wow, that is a rather good simulation of the future. Can People live with complete Truth ? Answer: A bit conditional, "Not Yet".

Well, my son told me that this show in Black Mirror “15 Million Merits” already started in China and I have to watch how scary things might happening other countries near future too. So, I watched it. But who knows, it might become more scarer than tv show.

China's 'social credit' system bans millions from travelling
Yes, I very much enjoyed the second episode. The first one with the pig was OK I guess as an introduction to the series. But this episode I thought was very well put together.
I liked the twists and surprises. I liked the general idea of there being absolutely no escape. So even when someone thinks they have put themselves in a better position, they then have to do things that they never thought they would and in fact end up doing exactly the thing they were very vocally against and protesting about. Reminds me a bit of that English dude who made a few joky videos about 9/11 being an inside job and then the media got hold of him, sent him to the USA to meet "Official" researchers and then ended up doing a UTurn on his comedy theories, only to become a laughing stock in the ALT field for his treachery.
Makes me think of restarting a blog I used to have called dystechopia - I no longer have the domain but would doubt that someone has bought it. Will see on that since I am doing far too many different things at the moment that actually need technology to work.
I have only watched the first two episodes so look forward to seeing the future episodes.

I haven’t watched any other Black Mirror episodes, except 15 Million Merits.
Because I don’t like to watching anything that cussing, it gives negative energy.

While watching BM episodes , mostly I enjoyed with new ideas and realizations of ideas authors wanted to present to people. Sometimes it seems like they have some insight in their minds. May be they were reading some C's material for their inspiration? Or...?
Just a note that if I wanted to watch the episode but there were overstressing scenes I rewinded them. I do so when I feel that my reaction on some scenes in shows or movies become very stressful/sweating (and intellectualization doesn't help:lol:) due to suspens / disgust. "Ok. I'm done with it, thanks. Good job. >>> ."

I want to mention "San Junipero" (S03E04) where the story tolds about 4D STS human consciousness control after death (as I represented the fabula for myself). In lifetime people were proposed to transit to another "reality" to live wher they can choose some options to exist. The same was proposed as after-death state for those who wanted to staywith their loved ones because of fear of nothing and their feeling-tied life.

The last one episode (season 5) that is called "Bandersnatch" you can watch only on Netflix because it's based on inclusivity. i.e. you can participate in movie by choosing main character's next action. And it's quite interesting how they've represented people's "free will". While main character thinks it's his decisions. the programm says that he's just a puppet for you as a Netflix' viewer from the future. Just interesting idea for viewers to introduce idea of outer influence.

Just a speculation, -
September 21, 1996
Q: (T) There's more to all of this...were you referring to... Who are they? Thor's Pantheum. And they're subselect trainees...That's the group behind this movie; OK...

A: An army of Aryan psychic projectors.

Q: (T) Well, that explains a lot more than Thor's Pantheum of subselect trainees! An army of psychic projectors. (L) And what do they project?

A: Themselves... Right in to one's head.

Q: (T) Into one's head... this is better than 'Must See TV!' (L) Project right into one's head... is anybody subject to this projecting?

A: Yes.

Q: (L) And, when they project themselves right into someone's head, what does that someone perceive?

A: Inspiration.

Q: (L) Inspiration to what, or to do what?

Q: (L) Yes? To do what, to do something?

A: And...

Q: (L) To do something, and to understand or perceive something, is that it?

I haven’t watched any other Black Mirror episodes, except 15 Million Merits.
Because I don’t like to watching anything that cussing, it gives negative energy.
I just wanted to say thanks for sharing that Kay Kim. I think I, like many, are so used to expletives in popular culture that we almost forget its true meaning. I think the saying is Desensitised. I think it is brave of you to stand up against it and admit how it makes you feel.
You're not missing anything but it has become so pervasive in society that to me it seems unavoidable.

Back
Top Bottom