Black Mirror

Perri475 said:
To me, without spiritual development (or however you wish to define it), any technological advance only creates greed as well as a larger thirst for it. I haven't really discussed the show with anyone who pursues a materialistic life style. I could see someone disassociating and maybe just seeing each episode (I would almost say parable) as the genre it chooses to tell its story. Each episode is jarringly different in terms of genre and (to me)the points being made are really *in your face*. So really without seeing the social comentary aspects , maybe it would seem like a collection of short films?

Yeah i agree the points are really layed down in your face.. i'll have to take a second breathe to watch the second season hehe... And yes, u may like what Rushkoff talks about :)

Oh if you haven't seen the second season yet.... That first episode wrecked me on the inside! Very thought provoking imo. (watching the link in t-minus...NOW!!)

I'll put it in my to watch list for tonight hehe, let me know what your opinions on Rushkoff are :D

Padme90 said:
I'll put it in my to watch list for tonight hehe, let me know what your opinions on Rushkoff are :D

Me and my room mate watched it together. We both enjoyed it a lot. I really love what he said about how society is trying to make information excess.human development. It really expanded on what we were discussing about the stunt in spiritual development. I'm very interested in the what his book has to say! Does it further expand on the social commentary of our technological age? Oh jeez the bit about trying to bring aspects of the industrial age into the digital age was brilliant as well! It takes me a little while to contemplate on information (I also just finished an EE session that really had me drifting haha). I'm going to watch it again, very insightful imo. Thank you for sharing, Padme :)

I'm not a huge fan of NYtimes as well, but I have noticed lately (through my fb feed and what not) that a few good articles slip through here and there. Otherwise I try to get my news from better, alternative news sites. It's really hard to read an article and take it for face value so I try my hardest to compare sources and see what fits the most. Thankfully, SOTT exists and does a great job of doing just that.

Very interested in the book!

I just watched Season 4 which just came out recently.
Season 3 wasn't mentioned either, so I will talk about that too.

Season 3 addresses these issues:
-Social Media and it's Ranking system for society
-Virtual reality gaming in the brain and it's possible shortcomings
-Blackmail due to spying through electronic means
-Facing death - whether one wants to live 'forever' inside virtual reality
-Augmented reality impants and how they can be used to influence people's opinions of others in war/society
-Nanotech/robotic replacements for bees and the possible issues

Season 4 goes a bit deeper in some issues from the previous seasons:
-Cloning consciousness into a virtual world (Like the Christmas special- makes you think about this reality and why it is so cruel and cold!)
-Implant technology for children tracking/watching and censorship from "harm" and how it can affect the growth of the child.
-Memory retrieval technology and the implications on privacy
-How simulations can be run to determine probabilities- the question of the virtual consciousnesses having to go through the struggle much like the consciousness cloning in the Christmas Special (also makes me wonder if 3d is sort of a "simulation" from 4d - matter/laws of physics being the "constants" for the simulation)
-Weapons/protection technology and how it could destroy humanity, sort of like Skynet from The Terminator movies
-Consciousness transfer and the ability to "read/feel" what other people feel and it's possible dangerous side effects

Season 4 was not as well done as Season 3 or the previous ones but it does make you think about the dangers of upcoming transhumanist technologies!

Divide By Zero said:
Season 4 was not as well done as Season 3 or the previous ones but it does make you think about the dangers of upcoming transhumanist technologies!

I haven't watched the series, but heard coworkers talking about it. Their impressions were that the series was very intense and barely watchable at times due to a great shock factor. One coworker even commented that she didn't want to continue watching because the show caused her to "long for a noose to hang herself with"! :shock:

To be honest, it kind of put me off completely from wanting to even try watching it. I think there are some things that should remain unseen. But perhaps, since you watched it, you saw some redeeming value in it?

The most disturbing episode for me so far.
was "White Bear"
Where a woman who tortured and murdred a young child, is subjected to a justice system that doubles as a form of Revenge Entertainment.

A sort of jeremy Kyle meets G4S.

My son recommended me to watch this show but I couldn’t, because it makes me so irritated by too much F words.
My son ask me saying “can’t you handle that?”.
My answer was “I don’t gain anything by watching this kind of show and make me very irritating and upset, and anyway I don’t care, it’s not that important enough to watch”.

So, lots show I don’t watch because that problem, even books.
Sometimes I wonder, should I watch these kind and overcome my feelings?
But I know by my heart, I never would do that.
Maybe I lives in just my small reality?

I'm a sucker for the genre of Twilight Zone-type shows and with this being pretty much the current modern embodiment of such, I can't help but watch and enjoy. But yes, it is dark for the most part. I mean, it's right there in the name, "Black Mirror". (which, is that meant to refer to electronic screens? I've started to see that term being used.) There was one episode out of the six this season that I though wasn't particularly dark and actually kind of nice: Episode 4: Hang the DJ (and it does refer to The Smiths' song, no DJ is actually hung) which DBZ referred to above as being a possible metaphor for how 4D and above might interact with 3D. So if this show seems like the kind of thing you might not be able to stomach but you are still curious, maybe that one is worth a try.

The other thing that stands out to me about this show is that, with the possible exception of Season 4 Episode 4 above, the one thing all the episodes have in common is the technological materialism that sometimes veers towards transhumanist. There is not really any hint that a reality beyond our observable one exists unless it is somehow created by technology. As darkly as things are portrayed in most of the episodes, it does not appear to be advocating a recklessly pro-transhumanist worldview, but I wonder, are they maybe advocating some sort of more ethical, balanced, materialist pro-transhumanist worldview? As with any show like this, the interpretation is ultimately left up to the viewer, and it can certainly be seen as a satire of materialism, but are the creators of the show firmly rooted in materialist thought and promoting it in a warped way? It's not really clear.

Kay Kim said:
My son recommended me to watch this show but I couldn’t, because it makes me so irritated by too much F words.
My son ask me saying “can’t you handle that?”.
My answer was “I don’t gain anything by watching this kind of show and make me very irritating and upset, and anyway I don’t care, it’s not that important enough to watch”.

Do what ? Watch ? Not watch ? Say F words ? Overcome your feelings ? :)

Hello Matt,

I trying to say that I cannot watch because I don’t enjoy anything that cussing in the drama.
Even though in this reality, lots young people used in every days but I don’t need to bring it into my life.

It's indeed up to you. But since you're aware of it, it won't corrupt you that much. You just watch. And yes, it could cut you off some things, but maybe these are not so important for you.

Anyway, I can relate to what you say. For example, I like Games of Thrones but all the sex scenes and some gore scenes really bothered me (and I really was an horror movies adept when I was younger!)

And to come back to the topic. I've seen the first season of Black Mirror (in French), but I don't remember there was so much F words (lost in translation or what ?). But I do well remember all the messages which were conveyed. All the insanity of our world, and much more to come if we follow this path with "unconscious" technology. And it was even cathartic in a sense.

And that's what your son was talking about, I guess.

Kay Kim said:

If it bothers you a lot, I don't think you need to force yourself to watch them, Kay Kim. Personally, I'm okay with a bit of swearing here and there, but too much, then I won't like it either (haven't watched Black Mirror though!). Maybe you'll like the show Stranger Things or Cranford.

Back
Top Bottom