Brain Waves and Attention

Buddy said:
Yes, it so happens that I am particularly sensitive to conclusions related to AD/HD and ADD due to past efforts researching the subject and dealing with hateful people encouraging me to drug or beat my kids into submission to make them acceptable in school, as just one reason (I'm describing reasons for sensitivity here, not implying anything about you).

Buddy, it must have been a very trying experience. I suspected that you were sensitive to the topic of ADD but did not want to lead in that direction.

[quote author=Buddy]
It makes me sad to have to suggest that it's ok to suspect better motives of me, but I know my own history and can understand why other thoughts may prevail. I'm sorry to derail your topic. I'm embarrassed and really tired of feeling like I keep messing up on here.
[/quote]

Buddy, what you wrote in the earlier post seemed a bit off-topic considering the discussion in this thread (if you read it when you are in a calm state, you will see it - osit). I can speak for myself that I did not suspect any sinister motives on your part - but it seemed something needed to be looked at in this context. You did and it looks like you had an emotional reaction to the subject of ADD which drove your thoughts. We had a discussion earlier on acknowledging what we feel and how misunderstandings can arise when we intellectualize the emotion and tend to go off on tangents. It is easier said than done all by oneself - that is why a network is needed. To me, this interaction seems like a learning opportunity on a very basic human issue which we share.

Laura said:
Buddy, have you tried dietary changes with your kids?

Well, they're all grown now and have their own businesses and art endeavors and lead busy lives. None of us ever cared for milk (white cow blood) and cheese (jeez at the bacteria), love meat, especially fatty pork chops and bacon and do low carb. We've all been mostly paleo by nature for many years - me even more than them. Sorry to say we're not gluten free yet but that goal is on my list and I think about it every day and often send the kids info on diet.

obyvatel said:
We had a discussion earlier on acknowledging what we feel and how misunderstandings can arise when we intellectualize the emotion and tend to go off on tangents. It is easier said than done all by oneself - that is why a network is needed.

I guess I'm not as good at spotting the arising as I thought I was. I mean, sometimes my emotion catches me by surprise and I find myself in the middle of it without having caught the beginning, so I guess I have to admit you've tagged that one just right.

obyvatel said:
To me, this interaction seems like a learning opportunity on a very basic human issue which we share.

I feel much gratitude ATM, thanks for this feedback.

Buddy said:
Laura said:
Buddy, have you tried dietary changes with your kids?

Well, they're all grown now and have their own businesses and art endeavors and lead busy lives. None of us ever cared for milk (white cow blood) and cheese (jeez at the bacteria), love meat, especially fatty pork chops and bacon and do low carb. We've all been mostly paleo by nature for many years - me even more than them. Sorry to say we're not gluten free yet but that goal is on my list and I think about it every day and often send the kids info on diet.

Since gluten has been so strongly implicated in a number of brain chemistry issues, I think eliminating that totally might be a top priority and just might surprise you. You (or your kids) may not have a "disease" but rather an allergy... or sensitivity to a substance that has been affecting you all your lives.

I was surprise when I experienced the changes myself. My kids, too. And one of them was diagnosed - AT THE AGE OF TWO - with AD/HD and the doctor recommended medication. I refused and a lifelong search for the answers more or less began there. It took a long time and a lot of hard work and help from others, so I don't think you should sell yourself short and deprive yourself of all that network support.

Laura said:
Since gluten has been so strongly implicated in a number of brain chemistry issues, I think eliminating that totally might be a top priority and just might surprise you. You (or your kids) may not have a "disease" but rather an allergy... or sensitivity to a substance that has been affecting you all your lives.

I was surprise when I experienced the changes myself. My kids, too. And one of them was diagnosed - AT THE AGE OF TWO - with AD/HD and the doctor recommended medication. I refused and a lifelong search for the answers more or less began there. It took a long time and a lot of hard work and help from others, so I don't think you should sell yourself short and deprive yourself of all that network support.

Thanks for sharing that. I've been feeling like gluten issues might be a next threshold for me.

Buddy, I definitely agree with Laura. I don't always have the means to live off of just beef and tallow, but it's hard to consider myself of sound mind when I'm not eating well. We've just run out of tallow and haven't been able to afford grassfed beef for a few months now due to moving house and winter heating costs.

It is pretty obvious when I'm getting more than 5g of carbs, or when I eat more than 40g of protein in a meal.

From the bottom of my heart Buddy: :)

Betwixt and between intense focus and distraction
Lies in wait the trickster gluten
And his chemical reactions

Sometimes he makes me manic
Sometimes he makes me sad
It took a lifetime to suss him out
And that just makes me mad

He tells me lies -
Just a little
Surely cannot harm
But I must make sure I never fall
For his sweet lying trickster charm

For now that he's been banished
Equilibrium has been found
So please do not entertain
that lying trickster clown

Wonderfully uni-phasic Philo-pragmatic Sophic esthetica, Cyndi. Thank you!

And thank you, monotonic. I've noted what appears to me to be a positive difference in your posts since you first started posting. If you attribute that to diet, then I believe you.

Buddy said:
Wonderfully uni-phasic Philo-pragmatic Sophic esthetica, Cyndi. Thank you!

And thank you, monotonic. I've noted what appears to me to be a positive difference in your posts since you first started posting. If you attribute that to diet, then I believe you.

Yup, we have a few on the forum who have made huge strides once they changed their diet. Monotonic is our poster poster!

Laura said:
Yup, we have a few on the forum who have made huge strides once they changed their diet. Monotonic is our poster poster!

Wow, I didn't realize that. Congrats, monotonic. I've just organized my neural net to give increased weight to your input. :D

Buddy said:
Laura said:

Thanks for sharing that. I've been feeling like gluten issues might be a next threshold for me.

Hey Buddy, this my give you some motivation to the gluten dilemma, for the next time you reach for the bread basket.

I see now, and how (from the hard work of our forums member's) that gluten has always been a slow death sentence. It has done so much damage over the years, and as a resolute I've become stronger in the resistance in the temptation to go backwards.

This may have some holes in it, but it's premise is short, and sweet. "Chemistry" is everything. FWIW

Wheat Belly: Lose the wheat lose the weight
_www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAAn4eCiAaM&list=TLrfWhrgkHqU2H0pZ2f8DWMfxri-HrDoNv

Buddy said:
Wow, I didn't realize that. Congrats, monotonic. I've just organized my neural net to give increased weight to your input. :D

Well, I thought that Laura was mostly being humorous, but gosh. I thought my posts had the right weight already! :D

(IE not too much)

Back
Top Bottom