'Brexit' wins, UK to leave the EU?

Re: Brexit wins, UK to leave the EU

A few thinks have been on my mind since I heard the result of the referendum.

First:
Whether they are "happy" or "sad" about it, the majority of "journalists" I have heard or read act has if the vote was mandatory.
For the "happy" ones that seems to be like counting your chickens before they are hatched.
And what to think about the "sad" ones regarding this matter ?

Second:
Scotland and Northem Irland voted majoritarily no to Brexit and so they may want to leave UK to stay in the UE.

Third:
Someone have mention that there was a last attempt to make the yes wins, few hours before the end of the vote, with an announcement of the probable result to be 52% for the yes.

Aragorn said:
Reading all the articles and news bites it's really hard to say if the result was the "real thing" or not.

It would be interesting to know what the real result (without manipulation) was.

I watched the early part of the BBCs coverage as the first few results came in and noticed one curious little detail. When the results for Sunderland (the first big leave vote) were being announced (the returning officer's "I hereby declare that..." bit), as she began to give the number of votes for leave she was only able to say the first TWO numbers of the five digit total before a huge cheer went up, forcing her to stop and wait before starting again to read out the full number.

While we were still waiting for the full number to be given though, the BBC already had the final accurate five digit number being displyed in their on screen graphics.

So it went something like this: "I hereby declare the total number of votes for leave as 82 thousand..." - huge cheer here and she stops for quite a long pause, during which time the cut back to the studio shows a graphic with 82,394 - then cut back to returning officer who then continues to read the final number, exactly as the BBC already had it displayed.

Surely they should not have had acces to the final number before it was officially declared? This was LIVE coverage.

You can watch it on iPlayer in the first part of the coverage series, scroll to 02:19:00 (thats the time remaining number) it starts just after that when they cut the interview.

EU Referendum - The Result, Part One: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07h0zcc via @bbciplayer

Alada said:
I watched the early part of the BBCs coverage as the first few results came in and noticed one curious little detail. When the results for Sunderland (the first big leave vote) were being announced (the returning officer's "I hereby declare that..." bit), as she began to give the number of votes for leave she was only able to say the first TWO numbers of the five digit total before a huge cheer went up, forcing her to stop and wait before starting again to read out the full number.

While we were still waiting for the full number to be given though, the BBC already had the final accurate five digit number being displyed in their on screen graphics.

So it went something like this: "I hereby declare the total number of votes for leave as 82 thousand..." - huge cheer here and she stops for quite a long pause, during which time the cut back to the studio shows a graphic with 82,394 - then cut back to returning officer who then continues to read the final number, exactly as the BBC already had it displayed.

Surely they should not have had acces to the final number before it was officially declared? This was LIVE coverage.

You can watch it on iPlayer in the first part of the coverage series, scroll to 02:19:00 (thats the time remaining number) it starts just after that when they cut the interview.

EU Referendum - The Result, Part One: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07h0zcc via @bbciplayer
Interesting detail. Reminds me of 9/11 and how they announced that WTC 7 had fallen, while it was still standing. I think 20 minutes before.

The link you gave only works in the UK, apparently due to rights issues.

When I first came across the information I thought of it as being blackmail to EU backed by real deal, and from level of local communities to higher in all of EU and broader advisory referendums are not mandatory as said, but it is promulgated as a done deal which could be from people s lack of knowledge about law but because of media hype I am more inclined to think it came from the top maybe for economic reasons but we ll have to wait and see until the dust settles what it is all about.

I just want to ask the general, when soldiers become peacekeepers ??? Weapons = Peace ???

Si vis pacem, para bellum, "If you want peace, prepare for war", or if you want to protect your way of life....

Aeneas said:
Alada said:

Interesting detail. Reminds me of 9/11 and how they announced that WTC 7 had fallen, while it was still standing. I think 20 minutes before.

The link you gave only works in the UK, apparently due to rights issues.

That is a curious detail Alada, and I immediately thought of WTC 7 as well. I suppose it's possible the BBC was given an advanced copy of the numbers in order to already have the graphics made up ostensibly for 'better reporting', but it seems more likely that something fishy is going on.

In any case, I was not expecting the Brexit vote to hold up. Not sure how the PTB are going to navigate this, but it's still early and we have to wait and see where the dust settles to know which way the wind is blowing.

Brexit et al, faulty F-35 and warships - seems to me that beast has started to fake its wounds... :huh:

y

Like most people here, I was quite surprised to see the Brexit vote prevail. I was pretty confident that the Remainers would win.

It would definitely be interesting to know if the vote was legit or if there was any meddling with the results, and if so, understand the reason behind it. Last night, I went to a small meetup here in Luxembourg where the Italian secretary of state for European affairs was presenting his book about the EU. Of course, the debate was very much focused on the UK referendum and the whole issue around the European integration. However, one thing he said really caught me by surprise. He mentioned that some senior political figures from both the UK and other European countries, including former EU Trade Commissioner Peter Mandelson and former EU Commission President and Italian PM Romani Prodi, told him in the weeks and months preceding the vote that Brexit would win. This was unexpected given that, apart from the last couple of weeks, the Remain campaign was largely seen leading the polls.

Looking at the global picture, the EU has been largely dominated by Germany, in a way evening out the balance of power largely held by the anglo-american capital markets. The Brexit caused a big reaction in the financial markets and saw the European exchanges drop even more than the one in London. The markets are now more concerned about the potential breakup of the EU than the UK leaving the bloc and this plays in favour of the US which will now have a stronger hold on the UK, while at the same time weakening the European alliance.

Could this be a move by certain forces to curb the German dominance over European affairs? And how will Russia react to this? I guess time will tell.

I don't claim to understand all the details pertaining to "Brexit" and it's pro and con's but media coverage wise, there's the impression - someone wacked a hornet's nest? Yesterday, just as the news hit on the vote counts, the Global media was flooded with articles pertaining to Brexit. Just one website alone, Sputnik, posted 23 articles in a row on Brexit, the U.K. and leaving the EU - before any other coverage of World news? The last time I witnessed that type of media saturation on one topic - was the day 911 happened. Is Brexit - Britain's 911?

According to reports, negotiations will take at least 2 years and the process can be as long as 4, before Britain even exits the EU - so why all the hype and frenzy? It's like - the Panama Paper's started the ball rolling, and Brexit is blowing everything to pieces, as far as financial security and trade agreements are concerned?

I'm reminded, the elite just held their little secret meeting, which makes me wonder, if Brexit is just another ploy to further concentrate their "power" and consolidate their wealth - before NATO pushes all the buttons on Russia? I suspect, the American financial system will tank - just prior to NATO's last stand? And just like General Custer and his Army - the battle will be a "wipe-out"!

Brexit: 'Stay Calm, No Need to Panic', Talks Will Take
http://sputniknews.com/europe/20160624/1041899019/brexit-talks-policy-changes.html

The UK has voted to leave the European Union in a historic referendum with the Out campaign claiming almost 52% of the votes according to the results revealed on Friday.

The decision to leave the EU will at some point create a period of great uncertainty, certainly around immigration policy for business as well as individuals,” McCluskey said. She further said that it is important to remember that the negotiations will take at least two years so nothing will change immediately.

McCluskey spoke about the model that Britain will adopt after the Brexit. “The very first thing to do is to serve note to article 50 in the Lisbon Treaty. That will be the notice to inform of our exit. After that the period of two years kicks in.”

Britain Won't Be Able to Leave EU For Another Four Years
http://sputniknews.com/europe/20160624/1041918515/britain-eu-four-years.html

The results of a recent referendum show that Britain will soon withdraw from the EU. However, the process will be difficult and may take about four years, Süddeutsche Zeitung wrote.

The results of the referendum, which were revealed on Friday, saw the Leave campaign win almost 52% of the votes and prompted PM David Cameron to announce his resignation.

According to the newspaper, the country will eventually come out of the EU only in 2020. In the coming years, the UK and the EU are expected to discuss how their relations will look in the future.

According to experts, the UK is unlikely to immediately leave the European market and stop financing the EU funds. At the same, they are likely to immediately cancel control of the European Supreme Court over their national security as well as undertake decisive measures to limit immigration.

To leave the EU, the UK also needs to undergo a number of procedures. In particular, it must inform the European Council about its intention to withdraw from the Union. The European Council will then decide on the principles on the basis of which the UK's withdrawal will be discussed. After that the European Commission will discuss the details of the agreement on withdrawal, and finally the European Parliament and the majority of EU member states will have to approve the deal.

If later London decides that Brexit was a mistake, it may re-apply for membership in the European Union, but it will have to start from scratch, the newspaper noted.

Alada said:

Not necessarily. AFAIK the final result is first fed into a computer system to which the BBC (among others) has direct access and the declaration of it is read from a paper which is separately filled out manually or printed after the computer feed. So these two processes are dealt with separately from each other, I think. Nothing sinister there I presume. ;)

Interesting bit in the story below about the London market dropping $164 Billion in 10 minutes:

https://www.sott.net/article/320881-London-market-dropped-164-billion-in-10-minutes-after-Brexit

There is a solution that would still require the UK to comply with European rules.

"There is a precedent, it is the Norwegian model of European Economic Area, that would allow Britain to keep access to the single market, but by committing to implement all EU rules," he said.

So the UK could 'leave' the EU, but not really...

By the way, Citibank stopped all transaction activity (on the pedestrian/consumer level, at least) for 4 whole hours starting sometime in the afternoon/early evening yesterday. They informed customers of the 4 hour stoppage, which they claimed was due to system or technical problems.

.. I was reminded of those times the plug was pulled on the stock exchange for a similar time frame -- just time enough to "re-calibrate" things.

.. anyway, it occurred to me that this could be related to Brexit, and the fallout because of that.

Actually, one area of uncertainty to always keep in mind is infighting at the top. I've been meaning to write something about that topic since it does point to an area of vulnerability for the PTB.

.. surprises happen when certain agendas are upended by different interests -- at the very top. Anyway, I think it's useful to keep this in mind. Power isn't as seamless as it sometimes appears.

Oh: my husband is telling me as I write this, after his having listened to Jim Willie this morning [see: latest podcast on silverdoctors.com], that "the fix" in terms of these votes is usually 5-7%, which in this Brexit vote was not enough to get the result they were looking for.

The Scottish referendum, as no doubt has been discussed elsewhere on this forum, Willie says was fixed in this way.

.. as for Brexit, he said that the votes were in part hand counted, and so, even with the fix in place, it wasn't enough to achieve the desired result.

.. so.. as opposed to the infighting at the top I was just talking about, this goes to what the PTB still fears: turbulence at the bottom!

Eric Draitser had a quite interesting take on the whole Brexit-thing in one of his posts on FB. I will not copy-past it here, since I don't know if it's completely kosher thing to do. But those of you who are his friends, check it out:

https://www.facebook.com/EricDraitser1/posts/945175415591830

Basically, he fears that if the EU will shatter, the far right and fascist lunatics will take over, and that we shouldn't forget the long history of US-UK intelligence infiltration and control of fascist groups. Short quote:

"The dissolution of the EU does NOT equal the end of the Empire. It is not the US that controls the Empire, it is finance capital, and if you think they will somehow not be able to continue to rule with degenerate pro-banker leaders like Boris Johnson (likely next PM) in power, I believe you are so very wrong. It is very dangerous to underestimate the Empire and its ability to adjust to changing conditions."

ADDED: Sorry, I just noticed that his FB post is viewable even if you're not logged in on FB, or friends with him.

m said:
Niall said:
Even if, in the long-term, the UK may stay in some form or another, I should not have made a definite prediction about the referendum result! :-[

Maybe the vote went the way it did to discredit SoTT. Or maybe not. Just a thought that crossed my mind.

That thought also crossed my mind.

What made me slightly suspicious was the quote of mr Euro-group and Greece-destroyer (Dutch Minister of Finance) Jeroen Dijsselbloem who said that they should accept the 'new reality'. :huh:

Eboard10 said:
Could this be a move by certain forces to curb the German dominance over European affairs? And how will Russia react to this? I guess time will tell.

I thought about that possibility too. Germany is calling the shots in the EU; not the US' closest European ally, so "f*ck the EU", to quote Victoria Nuland. The Cs did say that Germany was a target, and we already know that one reason for that is that they fear their potential alliance with Russia. So I don't think it is beyond their thinking and means to get the UK out of Europe just to hurt Germany - and bring the UK closer to the other side of the Atlantic.

m said:
Niall said:
Even if, in the long-term, the UK may stay in some form or another, I should not have made a definite prediction about the referendum result! :-[

Maybe the vote went the way it did to discredit SoTT. Or maybe not. Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Not sure we have such influence!

Back
Top Bottom