Buckwheat Crepes and Pancakes

JonnyRadar said:
Odyssey said:
I might try them with just water next time like Gawan.

I've found that by using water and mixing 1 part brown rice flour, 3 parts buckwheat, and about 1/3 Cup milled flaxseed; and making the batter slightly runnier than I think it should be so the pancakes are thin - they cook through ok - and the flaxseed adds a bit of nutty flavor.

Hmm, that's something to consider as well. I'm still grooving on the buckwheat date bread so it'll be some time before I tackle the flapjacks again. I've never been big on bready things but it would be nice to have a buffalo burger every now and then.

Gawan said:
FWIW,

I did today some buckwheat pancakes, but just with purified water, salt and oil. So it's not a must to have or produce ricemilk, plain water does it too. Maybe some flavour gets missing but could get arranged with added spices and as Laura stated earlier wih onions, garlic or ghee.

After a month of practicing with buckwheat flour mixed either with rice flour and potato flour now I've sticked with buckwheat flour only. I'm adding warm rice milk (if you don't put it in the pancake's crust doesn't brown up), warm purified water - not much, marine salt, a spoon of olive/flaxseed oil. The chemical or gluten free backing powder works fine and mixing the ingredients for several minutes definitely plays a role for the pancake consistency.

Thanks for the suggestions, next time I'll bake smaller pancakes with garlic and... onions! Whoa, I love 'em :D If I am to try with spices I'd switch to buckwheat pizza directly! To the little I know pizza's practically a pancake mix with a double portion of olive oil, it has to be flat and crunchy at the bottom, and moist on the surface thanks to veggies or whatever releases a bit of water, like tomatoes or even sardines. The dry one version is usually with rosemary and onions only, and salt, the bigger the crystals are, the better the result.. and again a bit of olive oil to pour over after the baking. Don't know how it could turn out with buckwheat, but usually pizza needs an oven hot as hell. 250°C and up if possible and sometimes it's even quite impractical for standard house ovens, as the 'perfect' temperature would be around 450°C to bake it in less than 5 minutes :ninja:

Oh no! Say it ain't so! Just out of curiosity I just did a self test with my buckwheat flour (just organic buckwheat flour and nothing else) and I tested negative. :mad: I did it twice and tested the yummy buckwheat date bread I made yesterday and have been munching on. All negative. This requires further blind testing with a friend.

I am stopped up and headachy today. Sheesh. I see my dreams of buffalo burgers galloping off into the sunset....

Sorry to hear that Odyssey. Buckwheat is such a good food that it would be a nasty shock to realize it's not tolerated. We've all given up things and it's always not fun to give up the next thing, especially when you like it. If I couldn't do buckwheat, I guess I'd do rice flour for baking.

Quinoa and buckwheat top nutrition tables for gluten-free.
By Stephen Daniells, 10-Feb-2010
Related topics: Science & Nutrition, Cereals and bakery preparations, Health and nutritional ingredients

The polyphenol content of quinoa and buckwheat flours may enhance the nutritional profile of gluten-free formulations, and may be a better option than amaranth, says a new study.

The findings could lead to enhanced products for the blossoming gluten-free food market, worth almost $1.6bn last year, according to Packaged Facts, and experiencing a compound annual growth rate of 28 per cent over four years.

Sufferers of coeliac disease have to avoid all gluten in their diet, but diagnosis is not the only factor. Other sectors of the population, such as those who have self-diagnosed wheat or gluten intolerance or who believe gluten-free to be a healthier way of eating, are also strong drivers.

But against this backdrop of popularity, there have been concerns that some gluten-free products on the market made with rice, corn and potato flour and xanthan or guar gum to improve texture have sub-optimal levels of essential nutrients.

“Improving the nutritional quality of gluten-free products is essential, as the presently available gluten-free products in the market have been shown to be of poor nutritional quality,” wrote the researchers, led by Eimear Gallagher from the Ashtown Food Research Centre, Teagasc.

According to their results, published in Food Chemistry, bread made from quinoa and buckwheat had significantly higher nutritional content in terms of antioxidants and polyphenol than wheat bread.

“Therefore, these pseudocereal seeds represent feasible ingredients in gluten-free baking for increasing the antioxidant properties and phenolic content of gluten-free breads, and improving their overall nutritional quality,” they stated.

Study details

Gallagher and her co-workers examined the polyphenol and antioxidant content of extracts of amaranth, quinoa, and buckwheat, and compared them to wheat. They subsequently investigated how sprouting and baking affected the results.

According to their findings, buckwheat topped the rankings for phenol content, followed by quinoa, then wheat, and finally amaranth. Analysis of using chromatography showed the main pehnols were phenolic acids, catechins, flavanol, flavone and flavonol glycosides.

Baking (breadmaking) of all samples led to a reduction in total phenol content and antioxidant activity, but “all of the breads containing pseudocereals showed significantly higher antioxidant capacity when compared with the gluten-free control”, said the researchers.

Science grows

The study supports earlier findings from the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University in New York, which found that replacing standard gluten-free flours with those made from ‘alternative’ grains like oats and quinoa may improve intakes of protein, iron, calcium and fibre, according to researchers

“By adding three servings of gluten-free alternative grains, the nutrients (fiber, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, folate and iron) are improved,” wrote the researchers, led by Anne Lee, in the Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics.

Supply issues

In a review in the journal Trends in Food Science & Technology (2010, Vol. 21, pp 106-113) co-authored by Professor Arendt, it is noted that, despite the successful formulation of gluten-free products using these ‘pseudo-cereals’ “availability of these products in the market is still quite limited. More research is necessary to fully exploit the functionality of these seeds as gluten-free ingredients in the production of palatable products which are also nutritionally balanced,” they added.

Source: Food Chemistry
Volume 119, Issue 2, Pages 770-778
“Polyphenol composition and in vitro antioxidant activity of amaranth, quinoa buckwheat and wheat as affected by sprouting and baking”
Authros: L. Alvarez-Jubete, H. Wijngaard, E.K. Arendt, E. Gallagher

Your comments
Share: |More www.foodnavigator.com

Just a note that I've stopped using rice milk in my buckwheat batters and add, instead, a scoop or two of D-ribose which helps it to brown nicely. I'm adding even more oil to the mixture, either grape-seed or melted ghee, too. I notice that when I fry them in a nice layer of oil, they get very crispy, and if I fry them "dry" they are softer.

I'm going to try making fritters in the deep fryer next. Will be using duck fat. I'll try savory ones and sweet ones. We'll be filming.

I've got a couple videos already in the can that are being edited as we speak so should be released soon.

Laura said:
Just a note that I've stopped using rice milk in my buckwheat batters and add, instead, a scoop or two of D-ribose which helps it to brown nicely. I'm adding even more oil to the mixture, either grape-seed or melted ghee, too. I notice that when I fry them in a nice layer of oil, they get very crispy, and if I fry them "dry" they are softer.

When you say "fry them dry," do you mean with less oil in the pan and more oil in the pancakes or are you referring to the pancakes without rice milk?

And tangentially, I think "How Buckwheat Pancakes Changed My Life" would be a great title for a healthy cooking article.

Patience said:
Laura said:
I'm adding even more oil to the mixture, either grape-seed or melted ghee, too. I notice that when I fry them in a nice layer of oil, they get very crispy, and if I fry them "dry" they are softer.

When you say "fry them dry," do you mean with less oil in the pan and more oil in the pancakes or are you referring to the pancakes without rice milk?

I think she means less (or no) oil in the pan.

Odyssey said:
Oh no! Say it ain't so! Just out of curiosity I just did a self test with my buckwheat flour (just organic buckwheat flour and nothing else) and I tested negative. :mad: I did it twice and tested the yummy buckwheat date bread I made yesterday and have been munching on. All negative. This requires further blind testing with a friend.

I am stopped up and headachy today. Sheesh. I see my dreams of buffalo burgers galloping off into the sunset....

Oy! How do you self-tested that, Odyssey? Do you have a biofeedback machine? The only way to do a self test I know is using a pendulum :P , elimination diet apart, but don't know how reliable it would be...

dantem said:
Oy! How do you self-tested that, Odyssey? Do you have a biofeedback machine? The only way to do a self test I know is using a pendulum :P , elimination diet apart, but don't know how reliable it would be...

I used this.

Odyssey said:
If you're interested in doing a little experiment, try this. http://www.ladybarbara.net/html/self-testing.html
It's something like muscle testing or applied kinesiology but on yourself (do forum search). Hold a food/drink in front of you as in the intructions. Depending on which way your body sways you can tell if that food or drink is something that your body would think is good for you. Not exactly scientific but interesting and fun to try.

The date bread was the largest amount of buckwheat I've consumed (@ 3 pieces) and I had the same symptoms that I would have if I ate wheat. But I'm still gonna try double blind muscle testing on the arm with a friend to confirm.

Thanks for the link Odyssey. The first self-tests I've made with wheat/buckwheat/rice/pancake gave out bizarre results not worth to mention at this stage ;), anyway the leaning back and forward 'uncontrollably' is quite an experience to feel!

Have to try a kynesiology test with a friend, you named it, and having some fun with this new technique.

All in all, to me buckwheat is just a way to replace that dry brown rice I'm eating to replace bread

_http://www.prodotticereal.it/nutrizione_donna/gallette_riso.htm

horrible way to pick up food with :(
Have to eat both buckwheat and rice with moderation anyway, especially during those weeks of steady and stressful job with poor bowel movements and no chance of working out any physical exercises due to sleepiness. ..Just notice it to fight it!

Just had a high protein oven pancake for breakfast. Ref: The Mood Cure.

2 tbsp butter (or ghee used)
1/4 cup buckwheat flour (and I added a tbsp of ground flaxseed, next time it will be two tbsp)
1/4 cup milk or substitute
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs

This makes one oven pancake.

Place butter in a large (10-12ins) ovenproof skillet and put into oven heated to 400deg F/200deg C. Place flour, milk, and salt in a blender (I did it by hand). Blend to mix thoroughly, scraping sides with a spatula. Add eggs one at a time, blending after each addition. Pour egg mixture into hot skillet and return to oven. Bake until puffed and golden brown, 10-12 mins.

Delicious and nourishing. :)

Finally sorted out the seasoning of my small cast iron skillet, and the temperature to cook pancakes (or actually crepes, or dessert pancake). I reverted back to the classic ‘English pancake mix’, which would be termed crepe mix on this forum. I knew that I could make ‘plain flour pancakes’ with this mix.

110g flour (buckwheat used)
1 egg
225ml milk (or milk and water mix, enough to get a single cream consistency, I used less)
2 tbsp melted butter
a pinch of salt

From reading Jane Gregson’s English Food this is similar to a Harvest Pancake for the Poor, although that didn’t contain any butter. And used ½ tsp of ginger instead of salt.

The pancakes, sorry, crepes were a success, and made a good lunch with green lentils, salad and sliced turkey. The egg in the crepe ups the protein content.

Laura mentioned earlier about using more oil in her buckwheat pancakes. In Jane Gregson’s book I came across the recipe for Pancakes for the Rich, or A Quire of Paper (paper thin), which is a crepe or dessert pancake. However, the point being made is the quantities in the recipe:
125g butter
300ml single cream
90g flour
1 large egg
2 tbsp brown sherry
1 tsp triple-distilled rose water
½ grated nutmeg
Notice how high the ratio of butter is to the flour. Just commenting out of interest.

So, from a breakfast oven buckwheat pancake, though a high protein breakfast bar (recipe to follow when I’ve done the cups version) made with buckwheat flakes for my mid-morning snack to buckwheat crepes for lunch, and a Bara Brith cake bread, made with buckwheat and tapioca flour, planned for my mid-afternoon snack, what does dinner hold in store?

Well, tonight I tried my first batch of buckwheat pancakes... and they were basically a total failure but that's probably my own fault. :scared: I'm NOT a cook, I don't even own a mixer, but I found a little hand-held one.

Using this formula:

1 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup ricemilk plus a little water to desired consistency
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking powder
A little bit of grapeseed oil in the batter and the pan for cooking.

I didn't have rice milk so I used almond milk, and I didn't have grapeseed oil so I used olive oil. Maybe that had something to do with it.

I have a glass cooktop electric stove, the only kind of pans I can use are stainless steel bottom. I heated up a non-stick skillet (yeah, teflon is evil but this was my first time and I wanted to make sure they did't burn), on medium heat, and put some olive oil in it. The batter was really thick, I probably should have thinned it out, cause it ended up one big glob. I even melted the tip of the spatula trying to loosen it up from the bottom of the skillet, so I guess maybe the heat was too high.

Also, since the batter was thick, I didn't know how long to cook it, and I flipped it too soon and it broke up into pieces. I tried to thin out the next one, but pretty much the same thing happened. Finally I watered the last bit of batter down and made one that didn't quire fall apart.

I dunno, it just tasted like salty dough and my kitchen smells like burned toast. I thawed out some blueberries and sprinkled some xylitol on it and ate it that way.

The Mister is the cook in the family but due to our work schedules, we only eat dinner together on weekends. I'm going to let him try and make them and see if they come out any better. :/

Mrs. Peel said:
Well, tonight I tried my first batch of buckwheat pancakes... and they were basically a total failure but that's probably my own fault. :scared: I'm NOT a cook

lol, oh dear!

Olive oil should work fine. Not sure about almond milk, as I never tried it. But it sounds like the main problem was just that you had your mix far too dry. I use at least as much rice-milk as flour. So I do a full cup of rice milk, and then a nearly-full cup of flour.

Once you've got the magic formula down, they're worth it, trust me, and then you can get to feel like a 'real cook' ;)
And they're very nice with bacon and eggs on top, for breakfast. :cool2:

Back
Top Bottom