Canning meat/what Equipment is needed, how much canning is necessary

Canning is a lot of fun. I really enjoy it. In fact, my birthday is this Sunday, and my family asked what I wanted to do for my birthday, and I said can!! So that's what I will be doing for my birthday :)

I find canning relaxing and gratifying...wish I would have learned how sooner

Well, I've been successfully canning for a few months using a Presto 23 quart and Ball wide-mouth quart jars. I've been leaving the bands on the jars for fear of the tops coming off, but the lids are sealed quite nicely so I'll be taking them off, washing, drying, and setting them to the side to prevent rusting.

Something I've noticed is that some of my bands have been coming out of the canner already rusted. I give everything a thorough cleaning before use and discard any bands that I see that have potential problems, but it still hasn't solved the issue entirely.

I've bought some extra lids just in case I run into problems with the ones that come with the jars, and I'm considering tossing the contents of the jars that had the rust problem.

Is anyone else having/had similar problems? :huh:

A Jay said:
Well, I've been successfully canning for a few months using a Presto 23 quart and Ball wide-mouth quart jars. I've been leaving the bands on the jars for fear of the tops coming off, but the lids are sealed quite nicely so I'll be taking them off, washing, drying, and setting them to the side to prevent rusting.

Something I've noticed is that some of my bands have been coming out of the canner already rusted. I give everything a thorough cleaning before use and discard any bands that I see that have potential problems, but it still hasn't solved the issue entirely.

I'm also using a Presto 23 quart pressure cooker and Ball wide-mouth quart jars and I haven't yet come across this problem. Is it possible that what you are seeing is actually a form of water staining and not rusting? I ask because one of the things that is recommended in the instructions is to add a few table spoons of vinegar to the water in order to avoid staining. Also, is it even possible for rust to accrue in such a short space of time as it takes to do one canning session, I'm not sure.

Ennio said:
A Jay said:

I'm also using a Presto 23 quart pressure cooker and Ball wide-mouth quart jars and I haven't yet come across this problem. Is it possible that what you are seeing is actually a form of water staining and not rusting? I ask because one of the things that is recommended in the instructions is to add a few table spoons of vinegar to the water in order to avoid staining. Also, is it even possible for rust to accrue in such a short space of time as it takes to do one canning session, I'm not sure.

I've encountered this "rusting" a couple of times while canning. On both occasions, the cooker/canner was operating on too much pressure - closer to 15PSI. So, what I'm saying is that having more than the recommended ca 11PSI could be causing this. Using the Presto myself, I HIGHLY recommend getting the 'pressure regulator set' (I'm using it, and haven't had this problem since).

See here:

Presto Pressure Canner Pressure Regulator
by Presto
Link: http://amzn.com/B000HMBVQ8

Aragorn said:
Ennio said:
A Jay said:

I've encountered this "rusting" a couple of times while canning. On both occasions, the cooker/canner was operating on too much pressure - closer to 15PSI. So, what I'm saying is that having more than the recommended ca 11PSI could be causing this. Using the Presto myself, I HIGHLY recommend getting the 'pressure regulator set' (I'm using it, and haven't had this problem since).

See here:

by Presto

Excellent. Thanks. From the description it saves one the trouble of having to constantly monitor and change the burner/heat to achieve the necessary pressure level.

A Jay said:

I've bought some extra lids just in case I run into problems with the ones that come with the jars, and I'm considering tossing the contents of the jars that had the rust problem.

Hmm I can see how that might happen as a high pressure steam environment would speed up the rust reaction (oxidation of the metal because the oxygen in the steam is more energetic). After doing a quick search it turns out that steam turbines do have to take precaution against this sort of thing either by altering the metal composition or altering some other variable. Now that I think about it that's actually quite interesting though seeing as how lids are only in that environment for a few hours or more.

Another cause of erosion is the use of higher steam pressures without a corresponding increase in the exhaust pressures. As a result more water is present in the steam, and a greater part of the turbine operates on wet steam

_http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1559-3584.1925.tb02541.x/abstract

With that being said I haven't noticed it on mine and tend to run it around 15 psi but maybe adding vinegar will do the trick for you? What's your altitude if you don't mind me asking?

Aragorn said:
Ennio said:
A Jay said:

See here:

by Presto

The canner that I purchased came with the 'pressure regulator set' you recommended. I've used it every canning session, and I only use one weight to create the 10 lbs of pressure suggested in the instruction manual for my altitude.

trendsetter37 said:
A Jay said:

Hmm I can see how that might happen as a high pressure steam environment would speed up the rust reaction (oxidation of the metal because the oxygen in the steam is more energetic). After doing a quick search it turns out that steam turbines do have to take precaution against this sort of thing either by altering the metal composition or altering some other variable. Now that I think about it that's actually quite interesting though seeing as how lids are only in that environment for a few hours or more.

A few months back my house was without air conditioning, so we opened the windows and had our attic fan pulling in the hot and humid air from outside to try and cool the house. It was raining constantly at the time, so I'm wondering if the humidity had started the rust reaction that was accelerated and exacerbated by being put in the pressure canner. When cleaning and prepping the lids before use I found that quite a few of them already had already begun to "rust," so maybe this is the 'culprit'?

trendsetter37 said:
With that being said I haven't noticed it on mine and tend to run it around 15 psi but maybe adding vinegar will do the trick for you? What's your altitude if you don't mind me asking?

I've been adding approx. 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to my canner, so maybe I should use another type of vinegar? I'm at ~397 feet above sea level.

Correction: I have a 16-quart Presto Canner, not a 23-quart. I didn't double check before I posted. :oops:

hi all,
I'm very confused. Didn't the C's explicitly say that canning food, storing a lot of it, is NOT the right way to do it?

etezete said:
hi all,
I'm very confused. Didn't the C's explicitly say that canning food, storing a lot of it, is NOT the right way to do it?

I don't recall anything like that being transmitted. Do you have a quote from the transcript you refer to?

In any event, with the food shortages all around the globe due to the climate changes, which causes the food prices to go up, canning and storing and preserving food in any way is the logical step for those who are aware of the reality, yes?

Alana said:
etezete said:
hi all,

I don't recall anything like that being transmitted. Do you have a quote from the transcript you refer to?

In any event, with the food shortages all around the globe due to the climate changes, which causes the food prices to go up, canning and storing and preserving food in any way is the logical step for those who are aware of the reality, yes?

I can't fully remember the particular session, but I think the context would be that of regular "preppers." The ones who envisage some sort of stand-off against the authorities, and are typically stockpiling weapons.

etezete said:
hi all,

There was a session (and I will try to find it) where they said when the topic of storing food came up: "This is third density thinking". Maybe you remember this? It must have been first half of 2013, because I remember reading it in a flat I was living at that time, and I only lived there for six months :) If I remember correctly, it was one of these "sheet of rain" sessions.

Meanwhile in later sessions, it seems, that they put it into perspective, look here for example:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,34626.0.html

M.T.

yes, i agree, it was something about 3rd density thinking.... and your reference to the C's "useful things" quote... i had that in mind, too. but in another way. I strongly doubt that they meant anyone to change money into gold or silver(or objects that can be bartered). Why? good question, but as i understood the whole STS/STO thing having properties is STS in the same way that wanting to keep/save money for future "systems" or building a fortune is.

I hope i can make myself clear here, english is (obviously) not my mothertongue. Maybe my point is better to understand when I tell you that i just read Jack Forbes "Columbus and other cannibals" and am now reading Paul Levys "Dispelling Wetiko". I recall several Sessions where the topic of a disease of mankind is brought up. Not all are infected, but the very most of us all are carriers of this disease. I think they were talking about the wetiko mass psychosis.

typical wetiko thinking goes like: this is mine! I want more! What's in there for me? How can I be somehow better off than others? So this is why i doubt, that the C's meant: store food (and maybe/supposedely exclude others from eating it later on when it is needed). I think they more likely thought of tools or stuff like that. Please dont kill me now... ;) I'm just sharing thoughts. Maybe I'm totally wrong.

Hello etezete. No one will kill you here! ;)
I would like to understand better. Could you explain a little more?. English is not my mother tongue either and maybe that's why I do not quite understand what you wanted to communicate. Why you associated Wetiko and storing food?. The store food and save some gold / silver is a way to adapt in order to survive in this great changes of the times. There exist diverted and psychos that want keep just for them, yes. But here, where vital information about the reality in which we live is shared, these programs are fought (as well programs like believe that we can save others and give everything because that makes us feel good). And besides, if you have something, then you can share voluntarily. If you do not have anything (knowledge, food, medicines, etc), what can you share then? In that case you can only be a kind of mendicant of the work that others have done. And not preparing, having access to the information, that would not be part of Wetiko or mass psychosis?.
I hope that you understood what I wrote.

maybe I'm overthinking it... but I can't help asking myself: What if it really comes to the situation, that there is no longer food available, not in the supermarket, no possibility to grow your own food (maybe because the soil is poisoned), in what form does it help me, to have stored canned food? It will only shift my fate some days into the future. This is the first point. second: what if people come and ask me for food? In that very dramatic situation i described. Of course I will give them. At least that is what I am thinking now. but I was never in an situation like this before, I cannot know how I will re/act ... and that is the point where wetiko comes in. Maybe in that situation I will think: "Wait a moment, I have only this much food stored, when i give away this or that amount of it, i will last much shorter. And why didn't the others prepare themselves anyway? - Or maybe "they" don't think of even asking, they just kill me an steal my stored food.

I know that sounds extreme, but i cant help thinking that a situation that requires preparations like this to survive for - be honest - only a little more time seems to be the best breeding-ground for evil behavior to take root. and maybe that can influence the frequency of the earth when the wave comes.

Do u understand what i mean?

Back
Top Bottom