Canning meat/what Equipment is needed, how much canning is necessary

I am away from home, did not bring a canner, but wanted to do some testing of these silicone rings with used metal lids.
First I tried filling jars up to the usual level with hot water, setting the ring (groove side on glass), lid and ring, then setting into a hot crock pot filled with water and covered for an hour. When removing, I cranked down on the rings as one would do for Tattler lids, then set them into a freezer to get them good and cold. I did a standard and wide quart. Both lid buttons depressed, but the seals broke when I took the rings off.
These rings are a bit larger in diameter than the rubber Tattler seals, also kind of sticky against the rings.
I considered that since the water did not get extremely hot in the crock pot, like it would in a pressure canner, the vacuum might not be as strong.
I repeated the experiment with the very same lids, rings and jars, but this time I filled them with water to just over the shoulder of the jars (ca 7/8 full) to allow more air to expand and contract. When I was removing the rings, I pressed hard on the center of each lid to stabilize against torque. Both lids sealed very well.
These were the more expensive seals sold on Amazon/dozen.
I can't tell the difference in the inexpensive ones sold in a much larger package. I will of course repeat the experiment with those.

I know the subject here is canning meat. I know the shelf life is supposed to be one year. Just want to say that I have seen some stored foods (like pickles) eat right through metal lids in relatively little time.

I started canning in 2012.

The jars have been warp in paper and put in a wood box. The box have no top, I used cardboard as a top.
The jars are stored in a non-isolated room, However the room have no windows and is expose West and in front of trees. so not much exposed directly to sun rays,

People say it is best to stock food below 20°C. The room may have been at 30°C a few times (24 °C at the moment).
I guess that the box and paper works as an insulator for the jars.

In short, storage is not perfect.

I recently opened a jar of liver's paté from September 2012. It seems well preserved.

Not sure where to post this question. Some of you might know if its a good idea. Looking to buy powdered butter from china, anyone experience with powdered butter or buying it from china?? Wasnt talking to them yet, they advertise its from grass fed cows. Have some butter canned, might be good to have powdered aswell.

I also have a question. Last October I canned beef and chicken and then stored it in a cool room until the summer came then I placed them in the frig. How long can canned meat last? I've thought for awhile 1 year is the limit but can it last longer if stored reasonably well? Thanks

I also have a question. Last October I canned beef and chicken and then stored it in a cool room until the summer came then I placed them in the frig. How long can canned meat last? I've thought for awhile 1 year is the limit but can it last longer if stored reasonably well? Thanks

Probably no need to put it in the fridge. I have mine in the spare room in a wardrobe, gets warm in that room during the summer. But this is Ireland so probably not as warm as where you are. Opened one the other day canned last May, was fine. Longest I've gone I think was around 15 months, was fresh as the day it was canned. If canned properly, I'd say a few years it will last.

I discovered this Ytube channel, called Rain Country, she provides many useful ideas and information regarding good food storage and preparation. She has dehydrated meat, and uses a jar vacuum sealer to enable storage for long periods. Some of the jars of vegetables she dehydrated 5 years ago and on opening them were still good, the cans were left open on a storage shelf and they were still able to be used, she says over time they become a little stale. She mentions using a food saver to vacuum seal but prefers to use a vacuum sealer for wide mouth and regular jars.

Food Storage: What, How, Why​

Also this useful video

Botulism and Canning vs Vacuum Sealing​

Why I Dehydrate for Food Preservation​

Hello, I actually found out that All American 921 Canner Pressure Cooker is actually available on Amazon for my area but I did not buy before on Amazon, so I would like to know is it safe to buy from there, because almost 700$ is not small amount amount to get cheated. Please can you give me advice and help. Thank you a lot.

I am asking because I am really confused that All American meat canner is not available on their own page All American Pressure Canners - Free Shipping | All American Canner

but is available on the Amazon ? Please can you clarify this for me, thank you a lot.

To my experience canned meat lasts a long time. I have been eating beef that I canned 2014. No problem. Meanwhile I learned that the most important thing is to cover everything with a thick layer of lard. Lard seems to isolate the food.
What was not so successful was a beef pate I made - there was no lard on top and this one I had to put in the garbage.

Concerning the temperature. Although I try to keep my food in a cool place this is not possible due to weather conditions. But - to my experience - that does not make a difference. One should avoid sunlight of course, but at normal room-temperatures it should work. I would not put the glasses in the frig because I think changing temperatures often may not be good. Good luck!

Hello, I actually found out that All American 921 Canner Pressure Cooker is actually available on Amazon for my area but I did not buy before on Amazon, so I would like to know is it safe to buy from there, because almost 700$ is not small amount amount to get cheated. Please can you give me advice and help. Thank you a lot.

I am asking because I am really confused that All American meat canner is not available on their own page All American Pressure Canners - Free Shipping | All American Canner

but is available on the Amazon ? Please can you clarify this for me, thank you a lot.

One reason could be that it is a discontinued series that they don’t sell anymore. The easiest way to find out is to ask them. I’m sure you will find a contact E-Mail on their website. There you could also ask if they know any other places who sell their stuff in europe.

Back
Top Bottom