Children of Men

Children of Men - Extremely Good Film

Tigersoap said:
I'd be curious to know why Cuaron included this symbolism in his movie.
I think because its just mainstream symbolism that kind of anybody gets. It didn't scream in my face. If I didn't read your post I wouldn't even have noticed it (apart from Key's very funny joke).

All in all I felt the movie showed a world that we are already living in (apart from being childless). Most on the forum members are lucky because they (me included) live in a so called developed country where it is not that bad - yet.

Actually it is even worse today. After all, when Key caries her baby through the so very violent "uprising" one is shocked as to what the newborn is exposed to. Today however millions of small children go through that type of trauma all over the planet - all the time!

I did love the film. I loved its rawness, its honesty and brutality. Times are defiantly over to "make nice". At the same time an inspiration that ONE person CAN make a difference! All one needs to do is to not compromise one's humanity. I believe that to be true.

Highly recommended.

Thanks for the recommendation, good movie.
Brilliant actors and cool music, absolutely the best version of Ruby Tuesday ever, does anyone know the performer?

I think this movie is powerfull because it gives you a glimpse of what future holds for us, that is if wave is just a fiction or wishfull thinking, luckily something tells me its not

but a I didnt notice christian overtones in the movie, my impression is that they make mockery of all belief systems

the sceene where chubby is desperately trying to do some tai chi is priceless :)

all in all tumbs up

Also a very good movie to watch, slightly older though is Code 46
it has the same feel like this one, a bit more realistic version of Gataca

Deckard said:
Also a very good movie to watch, slightly older though is Code 46
it has the same feel like this one, a bit more realistic version of Gataca
I totally agree. That was a very special movie. First class acting and so realistic (probable) it gives you a knot in the stomach !!!!

found the name of dude singing Ruby Tuesday -its Franco Battiato

this version is much softer then the Rolling Stones original

I thought it was amazing in all aspects. A "dire beauty" - what juxtaposition of images! Visceral, gut-wrenching, and totally involving as well as simultaneously triggering instantaneous deep contemplation on the fears even the most comfortable of us feel within. I wonder about the effect of this and other similar films have on our collective consciousness. Sometimes I think its important to powerfully portray our scariest possible future (or one of many possible parallel realities), and grow our "NO! NEVER!" resolve. On the other hand, many see this reality and may feel weakened by the apparent inevitability, and increase their denial and clinging to escapism-strategies. Any thoughts?
DID ANYONE NOTICE THAT THE LEAD COUPLE'S KID DIED "IN THE 2008 FLU PANDEMIC"????!!!! Hmmmm...

Bholanath said:
Sometimes I think its important to powerfully portray our scariest possible future (or one of many possible parallel realities), and grow our "NO! NEVER!" resolve.
Agreed. If one has never experienced "the terror of the situation" in terms of seeing where things are going - then this type of film may be of help. But if one isn't already aware on some level of just how true the horror of the events depicted in the movie are, then it may just be dismissed as more escapism as you suggest it could be below.

On the other hand, many see this reality and may feel weakened by the apparent inevitability, and increase their denial and clinging to escapism-strategies. Any thoughts?
Hmm. Ever have a 'Children of Men' type dream that showed you just how bad it could be. You know, the kind of dream that leaves you shaking and with no appetite for a few days?? Everyone processes what we look at here differently, but some may allow themselves to feel temporarily weakened with REALIZATION, and that can ALSO be a result.

DID ANYONE NOTICE THAT THE LEAD COUPLE'S KID DIED "IN THE 2008 FLU PANDEMIC"????!!!! Hmmmm...
I kept thinking that in the film's timeline, the lead couple would have been going to protests that many folks we know of go to right now. It was as though the film was suggesting in a way that it was TODAY'S activist, that had lost the baby - and was given a second chance to help bring another safely into the world - twenty years into our future.

Btw, I see C of M very much as a kind of bookend to V. The two films have quite a lot in common I think. How many people are getting what's being said is another story though.

Bholanath said:
...of courser and I appreciated it as another very "real" detail. Not because I am scared of "some uncontrollable flu pandemic" but because I believe the PTB will pull all the stops to engineer such pandemic (see SOTT special on it) for population reeducation. By the way; nobody is talking about the disappearing biochemical scientists anymore, that still keeps occurring. What's the latest count now 30? 40? 50?

I also agree on Elan's "bookend" comment.

Somebody recently gave me a great book "Best Movies of the 70s" by Taschen. Looking through the listings gives you a good idea what a great movie making time that was (dark that is):

Straw Dogs
A Clockwork Orange
The French Connection
Solaris
Badlands
Papillon
The Exorcist
The Passanger (aka Profession: Reporter)
One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
Taxi Driver
All The President's Men
The Deer Hunter
Alien
and among many others, of course ...Apocalypse Now

Some how I am getting the feeling we are entering such a time again. As a filmmaker I find that quite encouraging. Keep in mind almost all of the movies above where very controversial at the time and are now on the BEST OF list!!!!!

For Deckard and all others who like "Ruby Tuesday", definitely check out the (also soft) version by Dick Gaughan. He is Scotland's Dylan/Ochs/Baez, one of the most well known "traditional" singers in Europe.
I'm pretty sure there are listenable and/or downloadable cuts on the web. From the album "Sail On".
(I just like all his work, and + he's a guitar monster, celtic stylie.)

Thanks for the tip, will look for it later

Very powerful movie. The juxtaposition of the grit of reality and the sacrifice for humanity was sublime.

I couldn't help but be reminded of Heinz's dilemma when Michael Cain euthanized his wife and dog.

That's all for now. Just saw the movie and it is still sinking in...

Just saw it as well. Very powerful movie. Did anyone notice: when in the refugee camp, there were lots of hints to our real world, like the funeral parade of a dead man by muslims. Found it an odd and unreal scene to see french as fugees, waving their flag, its colors standing off to the grayness of the housing...

what i found disconcerting was that the 'new world' she was being sent to was one that she and her collaborators had heard only by rumor that it would look after her and child. It seemed a bit of a gamble..?

Rich said:
what i found disconcerting was that the 'new world' she was being sent to was one that she and her collaborators had heard only by rumor that it would look after her and child. It seemed a bit of a gamble..?
I took this 'new world' as a group of people whose knowledge of existence was suppressed so that other people wouldn't want to join them.
You know, when the PTB consider something as a REAL threat they completely ignore it/them, do not acknowledge it/them. Same reason why you never find anybody referencing the SOTT pages or the Cassiopaeans. And why the SOTT's/C's google rating is always bad even though number of hits should result otherwise.
I thought it was right on.

fifth way said:
I took this 'new world' as a group of people whose knowledge of existence was suppressed so that other people wouldn't want to join them. [...]

I thought it was right on.
I thought it was a great film too. I just didn't know what to make of the ending. I like your interpretation - i was thinking that maybe it was a trap. Thought provoking in any event.

I think that was the intention
-unclear ending - just like in the real life

Back
Top Bottom