Civil War in Ukraine: Western Empire vs Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny thing happened the other day. Chris Parry is a former senior UK Naval Officer (Rear Admiral) (wiki entry here)

He was interviewed on the UK's Talk Radio show, where he referred to the Ukraine situation and Russia as "the Eurasian Autocracies arranged against the Maritime Democracies, this is the new world order, and Afghanistan and Ukraine are in the borderland, that rimland between those two blocs right now, and we're gonna see constant fights over the self-determination of the countries in that area."

These comments from him are in the 2nd half here;

Those particular comments stood out for me given our long term understanding of the reality of geopolitics going back to at least post WW2 and arguably before, so I decided to try and draw him out, although perhaps a little too aggressively:

To no avail.

Niall then tried with this response to him:

Still no answer.

So Niall tried something a bit more pointed:

And he bit! And revealed what we knew all along:

So Niall followed up with:

Capture.JPG

https://twitter.com/Niall_Diarmuid/status/1483814738429624321

His lack of response spoke volumes. For him to say any more would have probably revealed too much.

Anyway, it's just a confirmation of, as I said, what we've know for a long time: the Western stance on Russia has changed very little over the last 180 years since the First Anglo-Afghan war. And it has never had anything to do with freedom, democracy, human rights, or any other spurious narrative.

Last edited:
I guess Admiral Parry couldn't help himself with a little 'name-dropping'! By linking the US-Russia stand-off over Ukraine with the Afghanistan War, along with the keyword 'rimland', he divulged that the two issues are/were but two 'theaters' in one single military-strategic endeavor.

Geopolitics is taught in 'select circles' in the West, the British admiralty being one of them. But you rarely hear it referred to like this in the media - and it certainly isn't taught at most UK universities.

The very term geopolitics was coined by Halford Mackinder 120 years ago, and has informed both British and American imperial and post-WW2 military strategy. I wrote about it here when the coup in Kiev in 2014 'initiated' me into it:

In Putin's Russia, by contrast, the government has been actively informing the general public about all this for many years now. Geopolitics, the 'Great Game', the 'encirclement of Russia', 'land vs sea power' is all regularly discussed in Russian academia and media.

That's why ordinary Russians know what's up, while Westerners are still floundering in self-deceptive illusions about spreading freedom and democracy.

Anyway, it's just a confirmation of, as I said, what we've know for a long time: the Western stance on Russia has changed very little over the last 180 years since the First Anglo-Afghan war. And it has never had anything to do with freedom, democracy, human rights, or any other spurious narrative.
I'll just put my 2 cents to your last paragraph.

For me personally, what opened my eyes to the fact that there was no getting in bed for Russia with the West was,
1) Learning about the American journalist Anne Williamson's work. I read her stuff after 2001. Her work connected a lot of lose dots that I did not quite understand how they related.
2) The sinking of Kursk

1) showed me that "assistance" was just a word used to try bring Russia to it's knees. 2) showed me that there were few boundaries to action by the West short of direct war.

What is happening today in Ukraine is what has been happening in many places around the Globe when the western dim-o-cracy appears. Destruction and poverty. That's why they had to open the border to Ukrainians into the EU as otherwise that place would have blow up without Russia's help. The raping of the economy by the Ukrainian oligarch would have been the detonator. The detonation didn't happen because the Ukrainians had a way out, go West and make money while the oligarchs are stripping Ukraine.

Since I've given so much time to Djokovic I'll just share my thought on that country as it parallels that of Russia in a certain sense.

In my opinion Serbia as a people are in the same category as Russians in the minds of those in the Elite Club of the West, namely second class. Even though we see this,

1642701333000.png
it is safe to believe that those are just optics much like those of Clinton and Yeltsin.

1642702198046.png

If I was a Serb I would safely ignore those nice smiles from Klause Schwab and others as they mean nothing. Clinton/NATO bombing of Serbia was the real lesson of why that is true. Another is the justice Milosovic obtained in the Hague.

Now why did Vucic get to sit so close to Schwab and von der Leyen at the 2020 Davos forum, as seen above? Surely it must have been because they want something from Vucic. Perhaps some business. Which business ? Maybe lithium business.

Moral of the story, when you have nothing they don't know you. If you do have something, they'll kill you to get it if you are weak.

1642702610724.png

An interview conducted by Greg Hunter with Dr. Paul Craig Roberts.

Dr. PCR says, “The Democrats have blown it, but if they can get away with blaming the unvaccinated for all the problems . . . they may be shielded. Democrats may also be shielded if they can force Russia to take some sort of decisive action. Then everybody has to rally around the President. . . . It’s very, very unstable, and there are reasons to leave the dollar if inflation is high.”

I think Russia has done all it can to get their message across. I'd like to think that something like this would wake some people up, but I doubt it. This is a dangerous game.

Have a look at this speech which was given in 2007 when Putin still felt (I think) that it is possible to talk sense to the West.

Notice Mc-Stain's (McCaine) behavior !!!!!!

I think Russia has done all it can to get their message across. I'd like to think that something like this would wake some people up, but I doubt it. This is a dangerous game.

This seems constructed from info we knew already. It is implausible for Putin to threaten with an action they would not take. The nukes have quite enough range already. Transport is difficult, guarding is expensive. It would weaken Russia.

Last edited:
This seems constructed from info we knew already. It is implausible for Putin to threaten with an action they would not take. The nukes have quite enough range already. Transport is difficult, guarding is expensive. It would weaken Russia.
Good points. I still like that it has been suggested though. Putin and his team are probably shaking their heads wondering how to get their point across.

The Russian government does seem intent on doing something in the coming days/weeks.

Russian delegation declares start of ‘countdown’ in wait for adoption of Russian proposals​

TASS, 20 Jan 2022

The West faces the moment of truth, which has started the countdown in wait for the adoption of Russian proposals on security guarantees addressed to the United States and NATO, Konstantin Gavrilov, the head of the Russian delegation at the Vienna Negotiations on Military Security and Arms Control, said on Wednesday.

Gavrilov spoke at the meeting of the OSCE Forum for Security Cooperation, which is first in 2022.

"There arrives a moment of truth when the West either accepts our proposals or other ways will be found to safeguard Russia’s security," Gavrilov said. "I am convinced that with goodwill and a willingness to compromise in any situation, it is possible to find a way out to mutually acceptable solutions. We are running out of time. The countdown begins."

The Russian diplomat believes that what is at stake is to minimize military spending and to resolve the security issues, which are not pressing for Russia alone, but for all the nations in Eurasia and the Euro-Atlantic area as well.

Gavrilov pointed out that the NATO actions had resulted in fragmentation of the pan-European space and inflicted huge damage to the authority of the OSCE, which has turned into a hostage of the narrow agenda of the "collective West."

In these circumstances, the Russian delegation will henceforth be coming up at the OSCE Forum for Security Cooperation with just the issues that meet its own national interests, the head of the Russian delegation stressed.

On December 17, 2021, the Russian Foreign Ministry published a draft agreement with the United States on security guarantees and another one on measures ensuring the security of Russia and NATO member states. Russia-US consultations on these issues were held in Geneva on January 10. A Russia-NATO Council meeting was held in Brussels on January 12. On January 13, Russia’s Permanent Representative to the OSCE Alexander Lukashevich presented these proposals at a meeting of the OSCE Permanent Council in Vienna.

Thank you @Joe and @Niall for inviting Admiral Parry to spell it out a bit more than usual. I tried to look up the names in the statement:
"Mackinder, Mahan and Spykman if you want to be accurate."
And found they occured in:
GEOPOLITICAL REALISM from Katehon.com Dec 2019
Geopolitics: Mahan, Mackinder, Spykman, Kennan, China, Climate Change, and Current US Strategies from NSIteam.com Sep 2019
Back in the (Great) Game: The Revenge of Eurasian Land Powers from Consortium News, Aug 2018 See Revenge of Eurasian land powers - the Great Game updated -- Sott.net
Here one finds a map of the Rimland:
1642719295819.png
Perhaps the one above is ready for a flashback on Sott?
This article in Asiatimes deals with the same subject but does not have all the names: Why Russia is driving the West crazy by Pepe Escobar from Feb 2021

Apart from power struggles heating up for the sake of power and money, there is from what is said in the sessions also the strategy of depopulation, which then is another layer.

A third layer is the perspective of the soul. A few excerpts that one can think about could include:

Session 25 January 1997
A: [...] There are no countries, only souls.
A: Close. You must never forget that this is a real war at the deepest levels, a war for souls and the future. All of you here are crucial to the successful outcome. All sorts of ploys will be utilized to destroy your unity. This was begun at your births and includes early childhood torture at the hands of those most susceptible to control in your lives. This was intended to make dysfunctional traits that would interfere with the successful completion of your respective missions. It is a great challenge. But you knew it beforehand and were strengthened for the task.
A: These are the times that try men's souls. And perhaps now you can understand the full meaning of that statement. Some souls do not do well under stress and pressure and the human system is constructed to alleviate stress by whatever means necessary.
A: Please be very aware that these times are crucial not only to the development of your souls, but also to the future of your realm and your place within it. Be AWARE, support each other, and most important, NETWORK!!! Goodbye.
Those who are close in some way to the current tension being played out, may feel it more.

Anna Shafran, a Russian journalist, wrote the following for RT. Here's the original, and here's the translation using Deepl:

The meeting between Lavrov and Blinken begs for some basic observations.

The ancient Greek historian Thucydides, of whom American political scientists are so fond, wrote that nations go to war because of three fundamental passions: fear, interest or pride.

Today, only the United States has a certain interest in going to war. This is their main, life-defining interest - the struggle for hegemony, for resources, for control of capital flows. In this case, Russia, which defends its sovereignty and has no claim to someone else's, is a natural opponent of the collective West.

We do not have the slightest reason to start a war, because Russia is not afraid of anyone, as our Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov noted. Likewise, we have no pride. We don't have the slightest interest in taking over the oligarch-ridden, unstable Ukraine. Let them sort it out themselves, but on one condition - not at our expense.

Under these conditions, our main objective is to explain to our U.S. colleagues that their national interests are not only in the interests of Russia, but also in those of the post-Soviet countries and Europe as a whole. For us, Ukraine and Europe are neighbors with whom we need to build up our relations one way or another. As for the US, both Ukrainians and Europeans are just tools in the geopolitical game against Russia.

In case the Americans do not understand, our diplomats have said it all. Firstly, "Russia will make serious decisions if it is disappointed by the West's response", and secondly, "Moscow can go for a military and military-technical response", as Ryabkov said all the same.

The Americans so far have not been able to overcome this habitual urge to dictate their will to "partners", or rather satellites, and continue to bend the line. But they may not like what will come out of it, because this time they will have to pay for everything themselves. And Americans do not like to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom