Collingwood's Idea of History & Speculum Mentis

Re: Collingwood's Idea of History, Speculum Mentis & Gurdjieff's Primitive Cosmology

I generally read with a notebook handy and when a phrase or an idea comes up that is really interesting for any reason, I jot it down and the page number where it is found. If there are words I don't understand, I write them down and look them up and write the definition. Also, if what I am reading causes me to make a comparison or reminds me of something else, I write that down too. I use the same notebook for several books and when I start a new book, I put the title, author, publisher at the top of the page so I don't have to repeat that with every subsequent note. I also jot notes in the margins of the book itself (if it is my book).

Re: Collingwood's Idea of History, Speculum Mentis & Gurdjieff's Primitive Cosmology

Merci Luc pour les liens...
Merci Laura pour votre méthodologie de lecture...

Thank you Luc for the links ...
Thank you Laura for your reading methodology ...

There's a thread talking about the reading thing: https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,35462.msg549956.html#top
An below a rapid video of Mortimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren's book: How to Read a Book.

https://youtu.be/E4p8JkI9lV8

I have just finished reading IoH. Wow! I found it difficult to follow at times, and like others have done, I stopped and took notes to help me to understand. As I went along, it did get easier.

I can see now the great worth of this book, to me it feels like it is "stretching my mind".

luc said:
Personally, it also helps me to visualize things. For example, when Collingwood talks about the different ways of looking at history such as the "scientific way" vs. the "I am a product and part of it" way, I imagine someone looking at a timeline like a scientist looks at an experiment; as opposed to a timeline as "historical mind", which my mind expands to and becomes one with it. Or a circle where I am at some point, trying to expand my viewpoint to engulf the whole thing. Or imagining an abstract concept that is outside the world of fact as two circles as opposed to a circle where everything is combined and intertwined and so on. Once you have such images in mind, you can always come back to them, refine them, check if they make sense in light of what you read and so on.

Very helpful Luc, that is a great example!

A real book is best but if you are using Kindle, you can put your finger on the word in question and a definition will pop up. I used that quite often while reading Collingwood. One thing I also experienced was that there were times when I definitely understood the train of thought being pursued and I was able to read remarkably fast. It seemed as though the quick pace allowed me to concentrate attention very well and get through that part of the material quickly. Other parts I had to slow down and sometimes re-read several times.

genero81 said:
A real book is best but if you are using Kindle, you can put your finger on the word in question and a definition will pop up. I used that quite often while reading Collingwood. One thing I also experienced was that there were times when I definitely understood the train of thought being pursued and I was able to read remarkably fast. It seemed as though the quick pace allowed me to concentrate attention very well and get through that part of the material quickly. Other parts I had to slow down and sometimes re-read several times.

I am somewhere in the middle of the IOH book, and I found myself in the exact same situations as you described. And I think that when I get in the thought train on some parts it feels like it is shifting my way of thinking and I perfectly understand what he wants to say even if I found some words that I cant understand. I have to translate their meaning so I could understand the word.
And there are some parts when I have to reread them 2-3 times. I know all words but still, it is difficult to get into that thought train. I am using google translate to try to translate some words and concepts. And when I finally succeed to pull out the meaning of that part I wonder how I could not understand the same thing when I read it the first time.
This book is a good thinking exercise.

I found that I had to read quicker or I would not be able to understand the narrative because I had already forgotten what he said on the last page.

monotonic said:
I found that I had to read quicker or I would not be able to understand the narrative because I had already forgotten what he said on the last page.

Same here. I can only imagine how much harder the book is for non-native english speakers!

I am still at only 25% of the Idea of History and I wanted to clarify something if that's OK. Maybe it will be clarified later on the book, so I'm sorry if this is a noisy post, but I'm very interested in reading what you think of this too...

There's one part where he's talking about human nature and it's conception as something constant or as a process... I'll paste just one excerpt but it's better to read that whole chapter, of course.

(1) Assuming human nature to be constant, they made it impossible for themselves to arrive at the conception of a history of human nature itself; for such a conception implies that human nature is not a constant but a variable. The eighteenth century wished for a universal history, a history of man: but a genuine history of man would have to be a history of how man came to be what he is, and this would imply thinking of human nature, the human nature actually existing in eighteenth-century Europe, as the product of an historical process, whereas it was regarded as the unchanging presupposition of any such process.

Collingwood, R. G.. The Idea of History (Kindle Locations 1555-1560). Albion Press. Kindle Edition.

This chapter on Human Nature is particularly interesting. I tend to think that there is some sort of human nature, but not so much limited or rigidly constant, more like a layered nature, so to say, where what we conceive as "human nature" nowadays is conformed of layers of carachteristics that were developed over time. I'm not sure if this is similar to what he says about conceving human nature as something that is formed throughout time, as a process. I think of it as similar to what Piaget described in his development psychology theory, that is, that we go through "stages" of development that build the structure over which the next "stage" is going to be built afterwards. Each stage is very important for the next and serves as a foundation for it, so to say.

The thing is that, if we are going to consider that human nature is non-existent, then we can fall into the idea of the "social constructs" put forward by the postmodernists. I suppose it's more nuanced. While there is a tremendous variability rate in human cultural, psychological expression, there are also some aspects of it that remain as bases for the variability to happen, aspects which are influenced by our biology, for example. But that doesn't mean this bases cannot change when there is an understanding of such or when something really important happens in our environment or ourselves that kind of resets some of these "foundations", it just means, IMO, that there is a strong influence of this historical "nature" in our psychological make-up, and, therefore, we can't exclude the understanding of this aspects if we want to understand ourselves, and our history too.

What do you think of this? And, is it OK to post this kind of reflections as I go through the book? As I said, I'm very interested in what you think about it because that can probably help me -and others- understand this things better. Thanks in advance!

Humans are required by nature to act, otherwise we die. In order for a human to formulate an action, they must have at least some basic assumptions about the world pinned down. Therefore I think one way to see human development is that at the beginning, almost any kind of idea that leads to action is acceptable. But over time we grow more selective about what kind of results we want, and as we move from being compelled to act by nature to compelling ourselves to act, we begin to think about how we think and so our assumptions upon which our actions are based begin to change and become more nuanced.

Okay... I guess that description is basically the skeleton stripped of all the meat. Back to reading...

For me reading Collingwood, I kept track of certain ideas even if they weren't entirely clear to me, by jotting in my notebook with page number. I kept reading in hopes that things would clarify and, usually, they did. But I would have to go back to the original idea and re-read it and think, "oh, so THAT is what he was getting at!" Because, very often, he will be presenting an idea not because he is promoting it, but because he is laying it out completely only to rip it to shreds. Initially, that was confusing to me.

It really is a tough read despite his clear writing!!! But that's what we want, I think, something that really exercises the brain hard!!!

Laura said:
For me reading Collingwood, I kept track of certain ideas even if they weren't entirely clear to me, by jotting in my notebook with page number. I kept reading in hopes that things would clarify and, usually, they did. But I would have to go back to the original idea and re-read it and think, "oh, so THAT is what he was getting at!" Because, very often, he will be presenting an idea not because he is promoting it, but because he is laying it out completely only to rip it to shreds. Initially, that was confusing to me.

It really is a tough read despite his clear writing!!! But that's what we want, I think, something that really exercises the brain hard!!!

Yes. In Idea of History I had to constantly try to keep in mind what he said many pages back and how it relates to what he is writing now. If one would have just read that new part, without the context he provided before that point, one could easily misinterpret what he writes, even though he writes very clearly. Reading Collingwood is a real brain exercise, indeed! His books are also among those I think you can read again and again and find new things you totally missed the first time. I kept marking parts that I initially thought were his points and the crux of the matter he wants to convey but later on realized that he only tried to explain this or that method or way of thinking and was actually trying to get to another point via clarifying those viewpoints. So I had to constantly go back, reread the context he was presenting (often many pages back) and delete marks that turned out later to be just explanations of certain ideas and modes of thinking. That is one of the reasons I think the discussions here about his work and in relation to other works is so helpful because many eyes can catch far more then one eye alone.

Recently came across what Peterson had to say about reading and taking notes and found it quite interesting, also in the context of Collingwood:

https://youtu.be/Y_d7DdNzkLw

I think one of the things Peterson is trying to convey there, pretty similarly, I think, to what Collingwood and Laura are saying/doing, is, not to try some sort of "rote memorization" kind of thing (a kind of memory that you have at your disposal externally, through external means, like notes and such) but rather to integrate and evaluate what you learn/read. For that to occur, you first have to carefully read/listen to what is being said and then you try to think about what was being said, in the sense of "what does it mean?" (as Collingwood points out "what does it mean?", is the real first question a historian must ask rather then asking what, why and how) and if and how it fits in the "history bank" or "knowledge bank". Here is were rethinking comes into play I guess. By that, you sort of build internal connections in your mind, like a giant web in which everything is connected with something else and thus that knowledge becomes a part of you, rather then remaining an external thing. I guess that is one of the reasons why people like Peterson and Laura can remember and connect so many dots, without necessarily needing an external means of reminding. It is a form of integrated knowledge I guess.

So, through trail and error, I noticed while reading Collingwood, that I really have to first listen closely and try to "rethink" what is being said, until the end of a part. Then I'm trying to think about it again and how it fits in with other things, and only at that point I try to go back and highlight the parts I think are the relevant points that need to be marked.

Laura said:

Yeah, I'm seeing that too... I'm making notes as I go, not just re-writing what he wrote but mostly what I understand and what are my own ideas about the subject (similar to what I wrote before about the human nature subject), and then I go back because I realize that he was leading to another thing. I think it's brilliant too because he can find positive things about an argument and then show you how that same argument has some flaws and how that leads to another argument that he's explaining.

I think that writing our own ideas about the subject can be very beneficial so that then we revisit what we wrote and see how our thinking changes or how we understand things differently afterwards... it's like a track record of our own thinking process and can show some of the assumptions we have.

Well, I'll keep on then...

Pashalis said:
Laura said:

Yes. In Idea of History I had to constantly try to keep in mind what he said many pages back and how it relates to what he is writing now. If one would have just read that new part, without the context he provided before that point, one could easily misinterpret what he writes, even though he writes very clearly. Reading Collingwood is a real brain exercise, indeed! His books are also among those I think you can read again and again and find new things you totally missed the first time. I kept marking parts that I initially thought were his points and the crux of the matter he wants to convey but later on realized that he only tried to explain this or that method or way of thinking and was actually trying to get to another point via clarifying those viewpoints. So I had to constantly go back, reread the context he was presenting (often many pages back) and delete marks that turned out later to be just explanations of certain ideas and modes of thinking. That is one of the reasons I think the discussions here about his work and in relation to other works is so helpful because many eyes can catch far more then one eye alone.

Recently came across what Peterson had to say about reading and taking notes and found it quite interesting, also in the context of Collingwood:

https://youtu.be/Y_d7DdNzkLw

I think one of the things Peterson is trying to convey there, pretty similarly, I think, to what Collingwood and Laura are saying/doing, is, not to try some sort of "rote memorization" kind of thing (a kind of memory that you have at your disposal externally, through external means, like notes and such) but rather to integrate and evaluate what you learn/read. For that to occur, you first have to carefully read/listen to what is being said and then you try to think about what was being said, in the sense of "what does it mean?" (as Collingwood points out "what does it mean?", is the real first question a historian must ask rather then asking what, why and how) and if and how it fits in the "history bank" or "knowledge bank". Here is were rethinking comes into play I guess. By that, you sort of build internal connections in your mind, like a giant web in which everything is connected with something else and thus that knowledge becomes a part of you, rather then remaining an external thing. I guess that is one of the reasons why people like Peterson and Laura can remember and connect so many dots, without necessarily needing an external means of reminding. It is a form of integrated knowledge I guess.

So, through trail and error, I noticed while reading Collingwood, that I really have to first listen closely and try to "rethink" what is being said, until the end of a part. Then I'm trying to think about it again and how it fits in with other things, and only at that point I try to go back and highlight the parts I think are the relevant points that need to be marked.

Thank you Laura and Pashalis, I have to admit that I have been struggling with Collingwood and to be honest without the great insights here on the forum I don't think I would have groked anywhere near as much of the book/concepts on my own. (I'm about 70% through IOH)

With that said, coming at it from the idea as both Laura and Pashalis have illustrated above, with taking notes and trying to put his ideas in my own words, so that I know I understand it, then re-reading it, I think I will be able to understand the text a lot better. It's been slow going, and adding this element will make it even slower, but, if it solidifies in my mind what he is saying then that's fine. I really want to take in as much as I can, so again my thanks :)

Yes when i start to read in spanish the book idea of the history, because that time i couldn't order the book i stay without non money and they kick me out from my job :D which i know when thay attack then it's not so easy sometimes.. then i have a feeling that i can't manage reading in spanish and english, because i have some dificults to understand, that's why i try to run from it, but this is not a answear, finally my iodine arrive which i stay without none, and i wait 3 weeks, because somenoe send to another place, i know this sneaky stuff which alaways happend to me and i know who is behind all this and i know is happend to All of You, because they hate Us, becuase we choose to see the truth. Finally i can start to read a book :) I even hear vioces saying you are not going to read a book :/ It's not possible to break Us right now, because we are group and that's what they were afraid....

Back
Top Bottom