Color perception

I'm pretty sure we did something like this with a dress before, but I thought I'd check again with this.

Which colors do you see on first look? (note, just the shoe colors, laces included)

This is reEEaAAAllLLy funny, at the moment where Joe posted that, i first, second, umpteenth look, the color of the shoe was green and the rest was aquamarine color as the most of people here.
Then i put the picture in my mobile under the sun, then i could see the colors green/acquamarine pass to rose/white, and vice versa, when i put my phone in the shadow. So at this time i could see the "real" colors only under the direct sunshine.
Now after two days of car, i'm in Paris, and in reading the post of Keit, i decide to take a look to the picture again...And i see the shoe rose and white, no possibility to turn it to green and acquamarine! Rose and white!

Same here gold-grey and light-blue internal stripes. So if the photo filter is bluish, the real one could be still brownish or gold and white stripes, I guess...?

The following isn't directly connected to color perception (and maybe it does, who knows), but there is this curious "colors timeline".

And I wonder why and what changed?

Interesting article keit. My immediate association was an article on SOTT about sexual morality. Once a sexual revolution starts a culture normally collapses three generations later. According to Laura's post in the forum thread about the article, the Western sexual revolution "started in the 20s to build up steam in the 40s, and then burst out all over in the 60s".

The timeframes described by Laura largely overlap with the change in colours in the work of art.

Lethbridge and his work on the pendulum come to mind too. A hyperdimensional view of a pentagram was a triangle of fire, I guess colours may also manifest differently in different dimensions. And speaking of hyperdimensions, colours, and the sexual revolution, I now wonder if there's some deeper symbology behind the LGBT flag. Maybe that too at some level is a sign of the times, although it only became a symbol of that community in 1970s. The colour preferences in art changed from toned down shades to bright and vivid ones and the symbol of the sexual "liberation" is also colourful and vivid.

And come to think of it, colours of people's outfits are dictated by fashion that also promotes vivid colours these days too. The session where the Cs mentioned changing the modes of self presentation and self representation comes to mind too. Maybe it would be a good idea to dress in toned down and 'classic' colours?

Just a couple of loose thoughts :-)

Edit: clarity

Last edited by a moderator:
And I wonder why and what changed?

I am not certain, but maybe it has something to do with this notion present below by the questions and answers by the C's and what RA mentioned about the blue spectrum referenced earlier in the thread:

May 31, 1995
Frank, Laura, SV
[...]
Homer described the Mediterranean as the "Wine dark sea," and Aristotle said there were only three colors in the rainbow: red, yellow and green. Is this true, that the human race, in general, has only recently become able to see blue?

A: Yes.

Q: (L) Is this a reflection of the spirituality of the color blue?

Q: (L) Obviously there are colors beyond blue, and as we attain greater spirituality, we will be able to see them as well, is this true?

Q: (SV) When you look at a rainbow you can see a shimmer or haze on either side. (L) Could it be that as a result of constant straining to see at higher frequencies, some people's eyes suffer?

A: Maybe.

Q: (L) Could this be a problem with people in spiritual or personal development?

A: Maybe.

Edit: I noticed more blues in the picture in more recent times hence the association, but may be off regardless.

Last edited:
and aquamarine/gray/white shoelaces.
Huh? Now that is interesting. Do you see the shoelaces in three different colors from moment to moment, or at the same moment? If I am not mistaken, I think you might be the first individual to mention seeing the shoelaces in grey instead of just either aquamarine or so far the less commonly mentioned white.

Huh? Now that is interesting. Do you see the shoelaces in three different colors from moment to moment, or at the same moment? If I am not mistaken, I think you might be the first individual to mention seeing the shoelaces in grey instead of just either aquamarine or so far the less commonly mentioned white.

When I moved my eyes off the picture, it's a combination.
What does it mean anyways?

I looked at it again just now and I see gay shoe, bright green shoelaces. This didn't happen with the dress one.

odd

I have little digression about color perception. I was intrigued by connecting some knowledge and observations of the world general.

Cassiopaeans suggested that green color is the color that symbolizes Lie, however, I can't find these parts now :-/ I will add them when I finally find it.

The examples of this symbol were used in the Matrix movie. I do not know if you remember, but when you see the scenes when Neo and other characters are in the Matrix, everything is tinted green. While characters of the movie are in the real world, in the zion or in the space ship, then everything is tinted blue. It is easy to notice when you focus on that while watching. It was also noticed by others and Wachowskis gave explanations however I am convinced that there is more behind it.[ Why is The Matrix tinted green? ]

Also in the Wizard of Oz. When they are meeting the Wizard of Oz, green has a strong accent.

And something like that came to my mind yesterday. What are the main colors we are perceiving in life? Well, this is green and blue. Why? If you look around being in the raw environment, you see green because of the greenery of flora and blue of the sky. What else is in the sky? Sun -> yellow, clouds -> white.

And then I made such a conclusion our life happening between Truth and Lie, between Blue and Green. Alternatively, we can say between Blue/Yellow/White and Green.

Green is the color of the Earth, our World, our Matrix. Blue is the color of the Sky, Heaven; the yellowness of the Sun that's the source of life, the whiteness of Clouds that suggests the "world of those who walks on the clouds". Those are popular and common associations, I think.

Then we have Green on the one side and White, Blue, Yellow on the other. Just some of my insights about "color perceptions".

Okay, but what about Joe's picture. I would say that I am seeing grey and turquoise with the feeling that the photo is manipulated somehow. However, I would never notice that it is really pink and white. I am not much educated and skilled in this area to see through such kind of deception.

Also, I did a test proposed by @RedFox. Rather easy to achieve the top result, had to focus a bit more on a few occasions, however not much of such moments in this test.

I found the brighter colors during the maunder minimum interesting. It makes sense that people paint differently when life sucks (or when there is less sunlight). FWIW, I aligned the color timeline with solar activity (from wikipedia Maunder Minimum). It seems the colors are brighter during lows and peaks, or in other words, around the times of changes.
View attachment 39070
I see grayish pink with teal (a color popular in 90's and with hip-hop or early urban rap) laces.
Rap played a strange dance between inner city socio-political Marxist programming and the reality of inner city suffering.
That's interesting.
I used to be a melancholic lad.
I found a way to express and connect my emotions through bright dancing, celebration of colors.
It was like a synesesia of feeling in a dance of denial.
The challenge was to bring this dance closer to reality through tonal realism.
On a side note I recently painted an old RV.
I wanted to go with a retro landscape look; so I painted the base/ bottom storage area Kelly/pastel green, with trees that blended into a pastel desert blue 14" stripe.
In the middle was an obvious problem because I was to have a two inch blue stripe white stripe then inch wide green red and yellow, separated by an inch wide white stripe respectively.
But I didn't want to drive around with a dang rainbow to be sure or worse.
So I wanted a sort of sunset and the red is kind of a sienna darker than the other colors.
And it works. It doesn't look like a rainbow at all and I'm grateful because the focal color is the most beautiful blue.

Back
Top Bottom