Comets and The Horns of Moses (Volume I) Available on Amazon!

Re: Comets and The Horns of Moses (Volume I) Available on Kindle!

Thanks Gawan, Patience and Don Genaro! Well, there certainly seems to be an issue with the tables. The weird thing is that it seems to happen randomly. I just tried opening and closing the document several times, and also moving forward a few pages from where the problem is, and then going back. Don't ask me why, but it worked. The text IS there! The reader just randomly "decides" to display it or not.

Anyway, we'll see what the techies can do. The tables could be converted into an image, but the text would be so small that the reader would have to zoom in each section, and I'm not ever sure that that would be enogh. I asked Mr Scott, and he also said it depends on they type of reader you have. The programming needed to produce a kindle file is so simple, that the disadvantage is that you can't always succeed at making "fancy" stuff, like a table.

If the techies find a solution, we'll upload the updated version and you can download it for free it you have bought the first one on Amazon.

Enjoy the reading! :D

Added: Another thing I tried, which worked, was to reduce the size of the displayed font, and change the general display too (horizontal or vertical). Moving forward a few pages and then going back did the trick. It's not ideal, but try it out and see if it works for you too.

Thanks for the quick reply. As I said, it's no problem for me personally. In terms of having a "slick" product, I thought you all would want to know. I don't like thinking in such terms, but a lot of people do think that way rather they want to or not. I have seen reviews on amazon of self-published works where the reviewer knocked off a star because of rough Kindle implementation.

:rockon:

Got it on my Android Kindle software. Not easy to keep up with all the releases but no matter - the money is going to a good cause. Keep 'em coming!

Patience said:
Thanks for the quick reply. As I said, it's no problem for me personally. In terms of having a "slick" product, I thought you all would want to know. I don't like thinking in such terms, but a lot of people do think that way rather they want to or not. I have seen reviews on amazon of self-published works where the reviewer knocked off a star because of rough Kindle implementation.

Yes, and thank you for letting us know. We do want to have it formatted as nice a possible. Amazon allows you to do a quick conversion, but it's pretty bad. In fact, Data created a program that allows for a much nicer work. For HoM, for example, 4 editors worked on it, checking all the details. fonts, links, etc. Atreides and Data did some extra programming to be able to include the tables. The end result is waaaayyy better than most kindle books you buy, at least compared to the ones I have. But this table business may have been a bit too ambitious. Anyway, as you said, if anybody becomes too picky and refuses to read the book because one or 2 tables don't display correctly, well, they are just not the readers who would appreciate all the work put into this book, anyway.

Ailén said:
Thanks Gawan, Patience and Don Genaro! Well, there certainly seems to be an issue with the tables. The weird thing is that it seems to happen randomly. I just tried opening and closing the document several times, and also moving forward a few pages from where the problem is, and then going back. Don't ask me why, but it worked. The text IS there! The reader just randomly "decides" to display it or not.

Anyway, we'll see what the techies can do. The tables could be converted into an image, but the text would be so small that the reader would have to zoom in each section, and I'm not ever sure that that would be enogh. I asked Mr Scott, and he also said it depends on they type of reader you have. The programming needed to produce a kindle file is so simple, that the disadvantage is that you can't always succeed at making "fancy" stuff, like a table.

If the techies find a solution, we'll upload the updated version and you can download it for free it you have bought the first one on Amazon.

Enjoy the reading! :D

Added: Another thing I tried, which worked, was to reduce the size of the displayed font, and change the general display too (horizontal or vertical). Moving forward a few pages and then going back did the trick. It's not ideal, but try it out and see if it works for you too.

Noticed this same issue last night, but it wasn't so bad I couldn't 'get' the points being made with the tables. I figure its a chance to monkey around with the enlarge reduce widgets on the Kindle. ;)

I do have problems retaining what I read without a book in hand. I think that's just a quirk on my end, and I'm getting the hard copy of the book when it comes out anyway. :flowers:

In the meanwhile, one can consider the following: The tables in chapter one do not display well when the text size is big. The first two table are readable even with a big text size. The table with four columns (in "A beautiful woman" section) can be viewed correctly if the text size is reduced. After reading this table you can return to a bigger text and continue reading :)
You can see an example from my PC-kindle reader:

Attachments

• Sin título.jpg
    Sin título.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 39

Ailén said:
Patience said:

Yes, and thank you for letting us know. We do want to have it formatted as nice a possible. Amazon allows you to do a quick conversion, but it's pretty bad. In fact, Data created a program that allows for a much nicer work. For HoM, for example, 4 editors worked on it, checking all the details. fonts, links, etc. Atreides and Data did some extra programming to be able to include the tables. The end result is waaaayyy better than most kindle books you buy, at least compared to the ones I have. But this table business may have been a bit too ambitious. Anyway, as you said, if anybody becomes too picky and refuses to read the book because one or 2 tables don't display correctly, well, they are just not the readers who would appreciate all the work put into this book, anyway.

Eventually it would be a lame excuse, but eventually adding a footnote ("we are sorry, but it appears that the tables ... follow this link for a corrected view" since it appears on computer software reader, people could follow the link) and a link to a website where it is correctly viewable, at least it would show that you guys did think about it and are concerned. However useful this idea is adding such notes.

Great news!

I'm going to get the Kindle reader for PC and download this and some of the other recent releases soon, as I don't have that much time to read right now and probably won't for another week or two. Still trying to keep up with the forum and SOTT (I'm way behind on SOTT especially) with the limited time I have.

The quirks with the Kindle displaying of certain text sounds like it's Kindle itself. Some of the weird things mentioned and the fixes by Ailen, I've run into with PDF/Adobe Acrobat Reader, as well. They seem random, and get fixed randomly by just fiddling around, etc. (Not to mention watching videos in different players and all the quirks there).

Pashalis said:
I wait for the physical version, and I don't think it will take all that long :)

The Kindle Versions are surely great, especially if you are not at home and you can read it on a electronic device in you hands without carrying a book around. But I think that a pysical book is always a good idea to have too, since you never know how the future might look like.

A physical book you can always read, share, hand down to next generation even without electrical power! When you only rely on electronic devises for you book collection you might loose your whole library when things get worse. Nothing can compete with the good old book IMO.

Just imagine what would happen if books finally die out and all that is left are recordings on electronic devices in the case of caraclysmic disasters in the future! A whole lot of knowlege would be lost pretty quickly, and there wouldn't be much physical knowlege in book or written form left to hand down to the generations, after the event. A book, if handled carefully, can survive for hundreds of years, even thousands....

Your thinking is very important because I think the same. :) Books are so important. I always remember, when thinking about books, about the story of Fahrenheit 451. In this terrible future that the PTB are making for us... books are not in their minds. So books are a treasure.

I don't know about the Kindles... but thank you Kaigen, Gertrude. I see them too small. I like the touch of a book, a real one. I have big hands, a Kindle is like a candy, I really don't know. It looks so fragile. A book is something very strong.

And thank you Ailén to remember about the Kindle option for the PC. But then reading in my computer I don't like it very much. I think that I will wait for the book. (Sometimes I like to kiss some books, or bring them in my bed and be surrounded by them... I can not imagine kissing my Kindle. I can not. ;D).

But I will think about Kindles or something else like kindles, it is always an option, a plus. Maybe, surely, there is another type of electronic book, something more robust, bigger.

I am waiting the printed version of the Laura's book.

Thanks for the information.

Kisito said:
Gandalf said:
Kisito said:
Very good news which Laura's work continues. But I have to wait for the French translation, my English is really too too bad :(

I think that you have a very good opportunity to improve your English before this book is available in French.
I thank you Gandalf of your optimism. I finish the book of Velikovsky and I put myself in English.

I think Gandalf is right.
Reading in English is like going to school. You learn so much! I started to read in English (without knowing English) with the diary of Virginia Woolf. Every word I was not understanding I looked in a dictionary. And my counsel is to used an English dictionary, not a French/English and vice versa. You will learn much better and fast reading the sense of the word directly in English.

Good luck! This is a fantastic occasion to learn (for me also) more with Laura! ;)

I just finished reading the sample available on Amazon and I can't wait for the printed edition (or debit cart that I can use to pay for internet purchases, whichever come first). It's exciting, engrossing, captivating and startling and this was only the first chapter! It seems that I can't stop salivating thinking about the rest of it :lol: .

loreta said:
Kisito said:
Gandalf said:
Kisito said:
Very good news which Laura's work continues. But I have to wait for the French translation, my English is really too too bad :(

I think that you have a very good opportunity to improve your English before this book is available in French.
I thank you Gandalf of your optimism. I finish the book of Velikovsky and I put myself in English.

I think Gandalf is right.
Reading in English is like going to school. You learn so much! I started to read in English (without knowing English) with the diary of Virginia Woolf. Every word I was not understanding I looked in a dictionary. And my counsel is to used an English dictionary, not a French/English and vice versa. You will learn much better and fast reading the sense of the word directly in English.

Good luck! This is a fantastic occasion to learn (for me also) more with Laura! ;)

I remember when I started to read "The Secret History of The World". Before it, I read pretty simple texts in English, even Wave was not that hard to read, but "the Secret History" with all those quoted excerpts, oh boy, there were words I didn't even know existed! Well it took me over three weeks to finish it, and the dictionary was my best friend (well still is :D). I learned enormously from this experience. It was very valuable and it still bears fruits to this day, so to say, both in the way of acquired knowledge discussed in the book and in a way of improving my English. It also tough me that when I learn something that interests me very, very much, the learning process is faster and smoother that in other cases (it's rather obvious but experiencing it on ones very own skin truly bring it home quicker and with greater force).

Kisito don't give up! Learning truly is fun, especially when you learn reading something sooo very interesting :thup:.

Thanks, mkrnhr for the screenshot.

Patience said:

Patience (or everyone else who sees layout issues), could you take a picture of the problem and attach it here to a post?

The thing is, the Kindle is basically a very primitive browser which interprets HTML and CSS. But its capabilities are extremely limited (with some annoying random elements) and one has to apply various hacks to get it to look right. If we can get more feedback, we can go in and improve our program for the next release.

But in the end, I believe, it would be best to get rid of tables, if the essential purpose of the book stays intact.

I'm enjoying the book but am itching for vol.3 with all the exciting teasers pointing to it. Tables for Data:

Attachments

• hom1.JPG
    hom1.JPG
    361 KB · Views: 27
  • hom2.JPG
    hom2.JPG
    294.1 KB · Views: 20

I'm so grateful for having the opportunity to read it! :wizard: :cool: :thup: Off I go with my copy, let the adventure begin :flowers:

Data said:
Thanks, mkrnhr for the screenshot.

Patience said:

Patience (or everyone else who sees layout issues), could you take a picture of the problem and attach it here to a post?

The thing is, the Kindle is basically a very primitive browser which interprets HTML and CSS. But its capabilities are extremely limited (with some annoying random elements) and one has to apply various hacks to get it to look right. If we can get more feedback, we can go in and improve our program for the next release.

But in the end, I believe, it would be best to get rid of tables, if the essential purpose of the book stays intact.

I found something:

Attachments

• degree.gif
    degree.gif
    35.4 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom