"Crisis" In Israel/Palestine/Lebanon/Syria

Well, this is turning out to be very serious.
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3275229,00.html
Several missiles were launched toward Haifa and Naharia (Haifa is a "Capital of the north"). Strangely enough, in Hebrew version of the article said that Hezbollah denies that they were the one who launched the missile that landed in Haifa. Another frame up?

Breaking news (according to Sky): US vetoes UN resolution condemning Israeli military action in Gaza.

Also:

http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs//2006/sgsm10566.doc.htm

Secretary-General dispatches Team Led by Special Adviser to Middle East

The following statement was issued today in Rome by the Spokesman for UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan:

The Secretary-General has decided to dispatch a three-person team led by his Special Political Adviser, Vijay Nambiar, to the Middle East to help defuse the major crisis in the region. The other members will be senior United Nations officials Alvaro de Soto and Terje Roed-Larsen.

The team will first visit Cairo to meet with Egyptian officials and consult with Arab League foreign ministers, who will be meeting there on Saturday. Mr. Nambiar and his team are also expected to travel to Israel, the Occupied Palestinian Territories, Lebanon, and Syria. Other stops will be added, as needed.

Mr. Nambiar will emphasize to all parties the Secretary-General's call to exercise restraint and to do whatever possible to help contain the conflict. He will also reiterate the Secretary-General's message to respect international humanitarian law and to protect civilians and civilian infrastructure.

PS: the local fuel prices jumped by 3p to 95.9p per litre, elsewhere by 2p to 97.9p overnight.

paulnotbilly said:
PS: the local fuel prices jumped by 3p to 95.9p per litre, elsewhere by 2p to 97.9p overnight.
and gold jumped from a relatively stable 335 to 358 (gbp), starting a couple of days before this all kicked off.

sleepyvinny said:
paulnotbilly said:
and gold jumped from a relatively stable 335 to 358 (gbp), starting a couple of days before this all kicked off.
The gold bug bunch tends to be a bit apocalyptic in their view. The uptick in gold happened after it became obvious that Israel was "going non-linear" in their response to the first "kidnapping". If you have the world view that "it is all turing to crap and I had better buy gold bullion", the current level of crisis was "obvious", if not in its details, at least in the inevitability.

sleepyvinny said:
paulnotbilly said:
As one old salty trader I knew used to say - not news that matter, market REACTION to news that matter.

You must divorce market reaction to news from your expectation of how you think the market should react. Sometimes it does what you expect, but often enough it doesn't. And it does that just enough to take all your money.

Here's a theory. Market is reacting to news in the future, here in the present. Market doesn't react to the present news in the present. Whatever's happening on the news ticker, it was priced in weeks or months ago. Think about that for a little while.

Appollynon said:
Also notice the bombing of the Lebanons only International airport. Seems again like the Israeli Pathocracy is trying to shut off any form of International help/relations or mediation by destroying the very facility that may be the only link to the outside/international world for the Lebanese
Yes, this is how they work, separate from the world then destroy everything and kill everyone. This is something big, it's a war from one side, they're killing children and women and destroying the infrastructure, now Palestine and Lebanon, soon Syria and Iran,
Either "Israel" is stopped or we ALL die

Yesterday, before falling a sleep, I thought about distinct possibility that maybe I'll wake up in the middle of the night by alarm, and we all will have to go down to the shelters. Strange, when I was younger I thought that it would be fun, but hell, no, there is no fun in it.

There are lot of Israel bloggers who describe what is going on the north or near Gaza, but they all in Hebrew.
Here two I found that are in English
http://www.israellycool.com/blog
http://www.theviewfromhere.net/
They are both pro-Israel (as I understand from the writings) they do not represent the opinion of ALL Israeli people, but this particular text represent the opinion of the majority:

http://www.theviewfromhere.net/2006/07/enough-if-they-want-war-let-us-give.html
Israel needs to step up. What happened this morning is unacceptable. A line has been crossed. Lebanon, not just Hizbullah, needs to pay. No more talking. No more diplomacy. Just brutal force. They forced our hand. They, and only they, are responsible for the hellfire that will rain down on their country. Well, Syria too. I sense that a fly over of Assad's palace isn't going to cut it this time. Let's see if Olmert has what it takes. But with comments like "Israel's response will be restrained but very, very, very painful." I fear he doesn't have it in him.
And here, take a look at this Lebanese blog and description of the conflict from the other side.
http://lebanonheartblogs.blogspot.com/

This is the entry that made me think. The ARE people who are capable to see beyond psychopathic agendas or brain washing. And the thing is, I am sure that someone from Israel could (or had) write similar kind of post. Because it's easily can or will happen here.

http://lebanonheartblogs.blogspot.com/
Enough!!

"It's nearly 4:00 a.m. I hear the muezzin from afar. But I mostly hear the sounds of the Israeli warplanes all over Beirut. This time, Dahyeh is confirmed to be under attack. I can't sleep."
This is the post started by Eve before she lost her Internet connection.
She just sent me an SMS asking me to continue her post.
It's almost 4:30 am. I heard those warplanes too. And I started trembling and shaking. I can still hear them...
Yes, I live relatively far from Beirut. Yes, Israel doesn't care about little insignificant me and won't be hiding under my bed waiting to strike.
But I cannot help but feel terrified, a remnant of those childhood years spent in shelters, I reckon.
I cannot begin to describe the feelings of people around me, a lot of whom have posted their viewpoints here or on their blogs. All I hear is "It's all Hizballa's fault!", "It's Israel's fault!", "It's our government's fault!"
Well frankly my dears, I don't give a damn whose fault it is. When an innocent civilian or child or a whole family gets killed, it doesn't matter anymore. When our already agonizing economy receives a major blow when 12,000 tourists flee, it doesn't matter anymore. When a blockade is imposed on my country, it doesn't matter anymore.
The country is in a state of panic, people are lining up at gas stations and bakeries, just like the old days.
I refuse to discuss politics and enter the game of "whose fault it is".
I only join my voice to that of Bob's and a few other sensible individuals and affirm: We want peace and we want it NOW.

Thanks Keit for your continued posts with your observations from within Israel about the situation as it is progressing around you.

Ive read a little of the blogs both Isreli and Lebanese and found myself both moved and disgusted at the same time. I realise there are some in Israel who do not support this campaign of violence and are trying to do what they can to make a diffference from where they are. However it does worry me that a majority, as you say have similar views to the quote from the blog you highlighted. This is exactly the type of mindset and views that allow the Pathocrats to further their war and widen the conflict.

I think that the Lebanese blog "hit the spot" in the post saying there are those who do not care who started it, or for what reason, all they want is peace. If only there was a larger percentage of people from all sides of this conflict who sheared this view, then maybe there would be a chance to stop it.

I wish you well and hope that your thoughts about being woken up in the middle of the night to head to the shelters doesn't become a reality. Lets hope someone does enough to stop this lunacy before its to late and the entire region is embroiled in this new war front.

"Crisis" in Israel/Palestine/Lebanon/Syria

Robert Fisk, British journalist who lives in Beirut, wrote yesterday:

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article13975.htm

R. Fisk said:
Beirut waits as Syrian masters send Hizbollah allies into battle

By Robert Fisk

07/13/06 "The Independent" --- - It's about Syria. That was the frightening message delivered by Damascus yesterday when it allowed its Hizbollah allies to cross the UN Blue Line in southern Lebanon, kill three Israeli soldiers, capture two others and demand the release of Lebanese prisoners in Israeli jails.

Within hours, a country that had begun to believe in peace - without a single Syrian soldier left on its soil - found itself once more at war.

Israel held the powerless Lebanese government responsible - as if the sectarian and divided cabinet in Beirut can control Hizbollah. That is Syria's message. Fouad Siniora, Lebanon's affable Prime Minister, may have thought he was running the country but it is President Bashar Assad in Damascus who can still bring life or death to a land that lost 150,000 lives in 15 years of civil conflict.

And there is one certain bet that Syria will rely on; that despite all Israel's threats of inflicting "pain" on Lebanon, this war will run out of control until - as has so often happened in the past - Israel itself calls for a ceasefire and releases prisoners. Then the international big-hitters will arrive and make their way to the real Lebanese capital - Damascus, not Beirut - and appeal for help.

That is probably the plan. But will it work? Israel has threatened Lebanon's newly installed infrastructure and Hizbollah has threatened Israel with further conflict. And therein lies the problem; to get at Hizbollah, Israel must send its soldiers into Lebanon - and then it will lose more soldiers.

Indeed when a single Merkava tank crossed the border into Lebanon yesterday morning, it struck a Hizbollah mine, which killed three more Israelis.

Certainly Hizbollah's attack broke the United Nations rules in southern Lebanon - a "violent breach" of the Blue Line, it was called by Geir Pedersen, the senior UN official in the country - and was bound to unleash the air force, tanks and gunboats of Israel on to this frail, dangerous country. Many Lebanese in Beirut were outraged when gangs of Hizbollah supporters drove through the streets of the capital with party flags to "celebrate" the attack on the border.

Christian members of the Lebanese government were voicing increasing frustration at the Shia Muslim militia's actions - which only proved how powerless the Beirut administration is.

By nightfall, Israel's air raids had begun to spread across the country - the first civilians to die were killed when an aircraft bombed a small road bridge at Qasmiyeh - but would they go even further and include a target in Syria? This would be the gravest escalation so far and would have US as well as UN diplomats appealing for that familiar, tired quality - "restraint".

And prisoner swaps is probably all that will come of this. In January 2004, for example, Israel freed 436 Arab prisoners and released the bodies of 59 Lebanese for burial, in return for an Israeli spy and the bodies of three Israeli soldiers.

As long ago as 1985, three Israeli soldiers captured in 1982 were traded for 1,150 Lebanese and Palestinian prisoners. So Hizbollah knows - and the Israelis know - how this cruel game is played. How many have to die before the swaps begin is a more important question.

What is also clear is that for the first time Israel is facing two Islamist enemies - in southern Lebanon and in Gaza - rather than nationalist guerrillas. The Palestinian Hamas movement's spokesmen in Lebanon yesterday denied that there was any co-ordination with Hizbollah. This may be literally true but Hizbollah timed its attack when Arab feelings are embittered by the international sanctions placed on the democratically elected Hamas government and then the war in Gaza. Hizbollah will ride the anger over Gaza in the hope of escaping condemnation for its capture and killing of Israelis yesterday.

And there is one more little, sinister question. In past violence of this kind, Syria's power was controlled by the Hafez Assad, one of the shrewdest Arabs in modern history. But there are those - including Lebanese politicians - who believe that Bashar, the son, lacks his late father's wisdom and understanding of power. This is a country, remember, whose own Minister of Interior allegedly committed suicide last year and whose soldiers had to leave Lebanon amid suspicion that Syria had set up the murder of Rafik Hariri, Lebanon's former prime minister, last year. All this may now seem academic. But Damascus remains, as always, the key.
Today he writes:

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/fisk/article1174289.ece

R. Fisk said:
Robert Fisk: From my home, I saw what the 'war on terror' meant
Published: 14 July 2006

All night I heard the jets, whispering high above the Mediterranean. It lasted for hours, little fireflies that were watching Beirut, waiting for dawn perhaps, because it was then that they descended.

They came first to the little village of Dweir near Nabatiya in southern Lebanon where an Israeli plane dropped a bomb on to the home of a Shia Muslim cleric. He was killed. So was his wife. So were eight of his children. One was decapitated. All they could find of a baby was its head and torso which a young villager brandished in fury in front of the cameras. Then the planes visited another home in Dweir and disposed of a family of seven.

It was a brisk start to Day Two of Israel's latest "war on terror", a conflict that uses some of the same language - and a few of the same lies - as George Bush's larger "war on terror". For just as we "degraded" Iraq - in 1991 as well as 2003 - so yesterday it was Lebanon's turn to be "degraded".

That means not only physical death but economic death and it arrived at Beirut's gleaming new $300m international airport just before 6am as passengers prepared to board flights to London and Paris.

From my home, I heard the F-16 which suddenly appeared over the newest runaway and fired a spread of rockets into it, ripping up to 20 meters of tarmac and blasting tons of concrete into the air in a massive explosion before a Hetz-class Israeli gunboat fired on to the other runaways.

Two of Middle East Airlines' new Airbuses were left untouched but, within minutes, the airport was deserted as passengers fled back to their homes and hotels.

The flight indicators told the whole story: Paris no flight, London, no flight, Cairo, no flight, Dubai, no flight, Baghdad - from the cauldron into the fire if anyone had chosen to take it - no flight. Someone was playing "Don't Cry For Me, Argentina", over the public address system.

Then the Israelis went for the Hizbollah television station, Al Manar, clipping off its antenna with a missile but failing to put the station off the air. That might be a more understandable target - "Manar", after all, broadcasts Hizbollah propaganda. But was it really designed to find or recover the two Israeli soldiers captured on Wednesday? Or to take revenge for the nine Israeli soldiers killed in the same incident, one of the blackest days in recent Israeli Army history although not as black as it was for the 36 Lebanese civilians killed in the previous 24 hours.

An Israeli woman was also killed by a Hizbollah rocket fired into Israel. So, in the grim exchange rate of these wretched conflicts, one Israeli death equals just over three Lebanese; it's a fair bet the exchange will grow more murderous. (...)
The article is Pay Per View, so it's difficult for me to put the whole thing. I expect it to appear complete on alternative websites tomorrow, or maybe even later today, as if often happens. But I'll copy the last paragraphs:

R. Fisk said:
(...)
But it was the undercurrent of terror-speak that was particularly frightening yesterday.

Lebanon was an "axis of terror". Israel was "fighting terror on all fronts". During the morning, I had to cut across an interview with an Australian radio station when an Israeli reporter stated - totally untruthfully - that there were Iranian Revolutionary Guards in Lebanon and that not all Syria's troops had left.

And the reason why the Israelis had attacked Beirut's infinitely secure and carefully monitored airport, used by diplomats and European leaders, a facility as safe as any in Europe? Because, so said the Israelis, it was "a central hub for the transfer of weapons and supplies to the Hizbollah terrorist organisation." If the Israelis really want to know where the hub is, they should be looking at Damascus airport. But they do know that, don't they?

And so it is terror, terror, terror again and Lebanon is once more to be depicted as the mythic terror centre of the Middle East along, I suppose with Gaza. And the West Bank. And Syria. And, of course, Iraq. And Iran. And Afghanistan. And who knows where next?
In my opinion, if the Syrians are controlling Hizbollah, and they send it to capture Israeli soldiers now, it is because they are expecting to gain something out of the gamble, hoping that the Gaza situation will give them a better position, but I don't think they are hoping for a total war vs Israel, cause they know they will lose. Especially if the US gets involved. However, it seems to me that the other pathocrats, the ones in Israel, may actually be hoping for precisely that, given the language they are using and the disproportionate way in which they have responded.

As for those within the Israeli population who are supporting war: don't they realize that a total war will not only mean destruction for the Arabs but to themselves as well? The pathocrats realize, but they obviously don't care. And most people who care don't seem to realize. What a tragedy.

And as we wait for Syria to get directly involved, Gazans die, Lebanese die, Israelis die...

Appollynon said:
I wish you well and hope that your thoughts about being woken up in the middle of the night to head to the shelters doesn't become a reality. Lets hope someone does enough to stop this lunacy before its to late and the entire region is embroiled in this new war front.
Thank you. I also hope so.
And yes, the majority of the people think exactly like this blogger. They even angry that the response is not strong enough. They want them all burn in hell.
And it makes me wonder, those are the genes according to Cass, who carry a key for escape?
This is a nation of contradictions.

As for those within the Israeli population who are supporting war: don't they realize that a total war will not only mean destruction for the Arabs but to themselves as well? The pathocrats realize, but they obviously don't care. And most people who care don't seem to realize. What a tragedy.
No, the trust in Israel army abilities is extremely high. Also, it's important to remember the Jewish motto that comes from the Bible: "Tamut Nafshi Im Plishtim"
Translation: "I (My soul) will die with the enemies".
Meaning: "If Israel is attacked, all Arab enemies will be destroyed, and if we die, we take you with us."

This is the attitude.

Another thing to remember, are words by Martin Van Creveld
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_van_Creveld
"Our armed forces are not the thirtieth strongest in the world, but rather the second or third. We have the capability to take the world down with us. And I can assure you that that this will happen before Israel goes under."

looks like people (arabs, israelians, others) have been programmed via mythological prophecies (sorry) to accept or participate in a already-written tragedy. this war has been prepared and plans have been made for a long time now, that's the impression I have when I see how this war is starting. And excuse me to point something personal, but I find there's like an inexplicable obcession to kill children that hurts me or maybe it is an exageration. at it appears from the earliest news, the targets are more civilian then millitary as in most wars, isn't it?

MKRNHR said:
I find there's like an inexplicable obcession to kill children that hurts me or maybe it is an exageration. at it appears from the earliest news, the targets are more civilian then millitary as in most wars, isn't it?
It is easily explicable: computers use applied game theory and suggest scenarios how to achieve a given goal cheaper and with lesser loses. Civilians are then natural targets. Computers (and psychopaths that are much like computers) do not attach any special value to "civilians" - except when it comes to international condemnation - but nowadays it is very rare, as condemnation would imply retaliation, and again computers and psychopaths are in charge of manipulating the public opinion.

Back
Top Bottom