Dear Laura, whats going on?

Seems like you are simply dissatisfied with maybe what this network has to offer you, and perhaps what you think you have to offer

Why does it have to be a negative or a positive why can't people decide to try something else, do something else or do something in a different way? IMO it doesn't mean the former way is now negative and new way is positive.There are certain people in this world that have had such a positive impact on me that I could never truly be dissatisfied with them or negative toward them this network is an example of that.

kinda sounds like you're saying no one really truly cares about why you or others choose to pull back.

Actually it's the opposite it is evident that people do care. When I use the word care when I talk about dynamics or situations I mean focus or spend energy on I will replace the word care with focus.

shellycheval said:
clerck de bonk
Menna, I get the distinct feeling that You are legio.

I do not know what "legio" means, nor can I find it in a dictionary. Can you please translate it for me?
thanks
Should have been legion; a body of soldiers ( http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0059:entry=legio ). I get the feeling there are several people writing through Menna's account. I find his writings/comments mostly well written though I have to admit my understanding of them is mostly lacking. But sometimes, once in a while, they are sloppy and badly written. Of course this could all be explained with "having a bad day".

clerck de bonk
Quote from: shellycheval on Today at 06:24:21 AM
clerck de bonk
Menna, I get the distinct feeling that You are legio.
I do not know what "legio" means, nor can I find it in a dictionary. Can you please translate it for me?
thanks

Should have been legion; a body of soldiers ( http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0059:entry=legio ). I get the feeling there are several people writing through Menna's account. I find his writings/comments mostly well written though I have to admit my understanding of them is mostly lacking. But sometimes, once in a while, they are sloppy and badly written. Of course this could all be explained with "having a bad day".
[/quote]
my bold

Actually, most of the time I see spelling errors of ordinary words in Menna's writing. Given the fact that we have a spell-checker on our posting box, this implies something more than bad spelling ability alone and suggests accountability issues to me. Also, try as I might by reading Menna's posts slowly and carefully, I often have a problem understanding his points and evidence. I see some coherence issues as well as spelling errors.

I agree with you clerck de bonk that Mennas's posts often sound like different persons are writing them, but I suspect that these are different parts of his personality emerging into dominance. We all have multiple parts to our persona and they are more widely diverse and less integrated in some of us as we are all in different places in our growth and the work.

This thread has moved on but I just wanted to quickly say:

thank you for taking the time to respond, shellycheval and goyacobol. I hope by now passive-aggressiveness isn't one of my most outstanding features anymore either :-).

Actually, most of the time I see spelling errors of ordinary words in Menna's writing. Given the fact that we have a spell-checker on our posting box, this implies something more than bad spelling ability alone and suggests accountability issues to me. Also, try as I might by reading Menna's posts slowly and carefully, I often have a problem understanding his points and evidence. I see some coherence issues as well as spelling errors.

I agree with you clerck de bonk that Mennas's posts often sound like different persons are writing them, but I suspect that these are different parts of his personality emerging into dominance. We all have multiple parts to our persona and they are more widely diverse and less integrated in some of us as we are all in different places in our growth and the work.

Why choose to talk about me like I am not here?

Ysus
thank you for taking the time to respond, shellycheval and goyacobol. I hope by now passive-aggressiveness isn't one of my most outstanding features anymore either :-).

Not that I've noticed : )

Menna
Why choose to talk about me like I am not here?

I was responding directly to clerck de bonk's comments and expected that you would be reading and choose to respond to the observations we made about your writing--or not.

this implies something more than bad spelling ability alone and suggests accountability issues to me.

Would you rather inquire or imply? find out or suggest? Ask for truth or develop your own hypothesis?

Again like I stated in my previous post about 30hrs ago I use my phone to post the majority of the time. I have a computer at work where they monitor what websites you are on and I have a slow computer at home. I am also not a strong speller. I do go back and edit posts you can see when someone edits posts it says modified at the bottom. After I post I don't just walk away I read over and make sure my thoughts are in order. This forces me to modify 2-3 times on average I do focus on getting my point across in a clear way. The extent of my focus on this may not be up to your standards and I am ok with that right now. If the forum isn't ok with it as a whole then I guess that's a different conversation. Where is this spell check button is it the S with the line through it next to the Underline button?

Menna said:
Where is this spell check button is it the S with the line through it next to the Underline button?

The spell check is automatic. It will underline in red letters words you misspell in real time. Of course, like other spell checkers, it's not also grammar checker. The S with the line through it is "strikethrough", which you use when you no longer wish to convey some words or a line, but are keeping what you originally wrote for reference.

Hey Menna

I studied Applied Linguistics but find it really hard to spell. So I'm really glad for the spell checker. Took a photo of where to find the spell check button (just for info, not to patronise!)

Attachments

• Spell check.jpg
    Spell check.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 331
Menna
Again like I stated in my previous post about 30hrs ago I use my phone to post the majority of the time . . . The extent of my focus on this may not be up to your standards and I am ok with that right now. If the forum isn't ok with it as a whole then I guess that's a different conversation. Where is this spell check button is it the S with the line through it next to the Underline button?

I am sorry Menna--when I was posting, I forgot you said you posted mostly from a phone. I do not have a Smart Phone so I do not know if they have spell check or not, but here the spell check function is automatic immediately putting a red line under misspelled words. In addition, below the text box, next to the Post and Preview buttons, there is also a manual Spell Check button. It seems that if you are writing in the posting box, on our Forum, that this spell check function should work regardless from where or what kind of device you are using to access the Forum. Perhaps some other member who also posts from a phone can advise us on this.

ANYONE can and most will make spelling errors, especially when we are in a hurry. I have plenty of times and I thank the gods we have spell checker. But, when someone makes an error or two in a post, and the red line is there as soon as the word is written indicating a spelling error, it is difficult to understand why he or she would not correct it before posting the message. Choosing not to correct errors is a different process than making the errors. As stated, anyone can make spelling errors, but choosing not to correct errors before posting can add to noise and make it especially difficult for non-English speaking members to understand our posts.

Again, I apologize--I did not mean to come across as "The Grammar Police," but I did take the fact that you would post without correcting spelling errors, when given the choice by spell check, to indicate some issue with posting to others. It is just not polite. Sorry! Now I sound like the etiquette police. Menna--I am truly sorry, and at fault for not addressing my observations to you directly, even if I was responding to someone else's observations, I should have included you in my reply. That was not polite on my part and "my bad." :-[

I am glad you are posting regularly again--take care.
shellycheval

Ysus said:
This thread has moved on but I just wanted to quickly say:

Ysus,

I agree with shellycheval that I didn't notice you being passive-agressive in this thread. I guess it's like the saying "It takes one to know one". When we have made the same mistakes they stand out to us in others. But then sometimes we can just be projecting our own faults onto others too. I think we all are learning about our machines and programs and if we keep networking it kind of works both ways.

Menna,

I am for glad you are filling in some of the blanks for us and that you are still hanging in there. My previous comments were just speculations due to the silence but we all need to be silent sometimes ourselves. Sorry, if I hurt your feelings by speculating.

Just a general observation regarding the ongoing discussion: Menna has made clear what his goals and his desire to use this forum or not as a "Work tool" are. So, it is probably better to stop trying to give any feedback. He is not asking for a mirror at the moment, and wants to take things slowly and participate at his own pace. That wish should be respected, all the while he should do his best to be externally considerate when he does participate, and not write confusing one-liners. If he does that (and has already started), and we remember what he posted recently about what is comfortable for him, then we can all get along without any draining on either side. In the same token, Menna, you can try to avoid over-analyzing what happened in this thread, and not give "mirrors" either if you don't want them yourself.

I agree with Chu here. Another thing to consider may be that we don't always need to 'right' a situation immediately, to try to 'save' people and make the friction go away. I think sometimes it's useful to tolerate a little friction, let it sit for a while, and allow us some time to just observe and think. Patience and the ability to tolerate friction/frustration are important skills IMO that we can practice in such situations. FWIW

Back
Top Bottom