Dental Health

Re: Teeth Health

I recently finished "Cure tooth decay: heal and prevent cavities with nutrition" by Ramiel Nagel. Another forum member had already written a resume on this book (based on a promo web site) http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,10754.msg76723.html#msg76723, so I just want to pinpoint some ideas.
  • Brushing cannot directly help your teeth health. Australian natives had perfectly white teeth before they got access to Western style food, and they never brushed it. There are several recipes of toothpaste in the book including very simple ones like charcoal and baking soda.
  • Author didn't do his homework, considering price of his book, when he wrote about magical Activator X substance. W.Price didn't had access to scientific information we have access now, but Mr.Nagel should have found out that it is essentially a K2 vitamin. Here is a post by Psyche about K2 http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,22916.msg330533.html#msg330533
  • Probably something not covered here is bite and TMJ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporomandibular_joint_disorder). Author writes about different problems including tooth decay that can popup when your bite is not optimal. Also he reviews treat methods: orthodontics vs functional orthopedics and other methods. He says that mainstream orthodontics causes more damage than it helps, while "marginal" doctors like functional orthopedists and craniopaths try to help body rebuild itself natural way. Mr. Nagel undergone TMJ healing himself.
  • Besides topics mentioned, it's all about diet. Following threads about diet and detox should make your teeth healthy.

Re: Wisdom teeth. To pull or not to pull. That is a question...

Heimdallr said:
My guess is that some food has gotten stuck in the cavities where your wisdom teeth used to be. After my surgery I was given a simple syringe so I could plunge water into those cavities to clean them out. I would go to your dentist and ask him to clean them out for you and give you something to deal with it in the future. Hopefully that reduces the pain you are feeling.

The doctor didnt give me any syringe so I didnt know that, my next appointment with the dentis is tomorrow today I feel better that the last days, today I have no pain ;)

agni said:
How about substituting sodium bicarbonate mouthwash with saline rinse ? Not sure if it is correct or not, but my dentist advised against sodium while sockets are healing, and said that salt provides more healthier environment for healing. It must be lukewarm water and not too concentrated, also do not woosh your mouth too hard, so you do not dislodge sockets. I did saline rinse after every single food intake.

I hope it heals soon!

That was I did yesterday and today my wound is in better condition, I dont have that smell and it seems to be clean ;) thanks for your advice !!! :hug2:

Re: Wisdom teeth. To pull or not to pull. That is a question...

Glad you're feeling better, zim. Continue with the saline rinse should keep things on the right track. :)

Re: Teeth pain mystery

Hi All

I was wrong. It did not solve the issue. It came back again last week. After visit to dentist, there seems to be infection going on, dentist said nerve is dying and pushing it's way through the inner side of a gum (I have observed with a tongue something akin to small hole or splinter on a gum line that has been there for 6 months or so). So, when I am lying down, blood flow increases to the area and apparently responsible for pain. For last couple of days it's been quite an experience, pain was so intense that I got sweats, felt dizzy, felt some strange euphoric rush going through veins, and felt like vomiting. Dentist recommends to have root canal done, I have voted for extraction. It's upper right last tooth, one is right before where wisdom tooth was.

What do you think root canal or pull that tooth ? I lean towards pulling. I am thinking long term, if one day dental help is not available, what makes more sense ? Is tooth extraction going to mess up / shift my other teeth ? Would my meat chewability will be impaired ? One of other concerns of root canal is that roots of my teeth are too close to sinuses, if anything goes wrong I'd rather not have my sinuses affected.

I have about 1.5 days if / to change my mind

Thank You

Did your dentist give you antibiotics? You have to really be careful with infections in the gum, they can go south pretty quickly. I kept my dying nerve root under control with antibiotics dissolved in 50% DMSO, applied topically to the gum for 3 weeks before I could get a root canal scheduled.

If you can save the tooth with a root canal, I would. Then you can decide on an onlay or a crown. I think the onlays are better because they preserve much more of the tooth. Although, some dentists do not agree with me on this (old timers who only learned how to do crowns in dental school).

My two cents. :)

Hi agni,

Since you seem to have an infection issue, I would like to suggest coconut oil. I brush my teeth, then use coconut oil as a mouth wash for approximately 30 seconds. Since coconut oil is purported to have antimicrobial properties, it may help, fwiw.

Lilou said:
Did your dentist give you antibiotics? You have to really be careful with infections in the gum, they can go south pretty quickly. I kept my dying nerve root under control with antibiotics dissolved in 50% DMSO, applied topically to the gum for 3 weeks before I could get a root canal scheduled.

Yes. I was given Amoxicillin 250mg (2 tablets 3x daily), and I am taking ibuprofen 600mg to keep pain at bay for the moment. Was given tylenol-3 originally, but I have refused that.

From what I understand, if nerve stops dying and causes infection, it's pretty much a goner, no ? Is there still a chance it can be restored ? Just FYI, the tooth has a filling in it.

[quote author=Lilou]
If you can save the tooth with a root canal, I would. Then you can decide on an onlay or a crown. I think the onlays are better because they preserve much more of the tooth. Although, some dentists do not agree with me on this (old timers who only learned how to do crowns in dental school).

My two cents. :)
[/quote]

I do not like either options. Both have it's own array of side effects that can potentially be not so pleasant.
How about this issue as far as root canals: Root Canals Destructive to Health - Why Would You Want A Dead Tooth in Your Mouth for Life? .

But then, with extraction, there is a potential for teeth shifting, TMJ, bone loss, and sinus wall collapse(?)

It's catch 22. I am inclined towards working along with natural body processes instead of going against it. If body gives symptoms to get rid of something would not it make more sense to go along with it instead of forcing solution by disable nerves that responsible for pain if healing is not possible ?

But with thinking like that, I just might get toothless in no time, I can drink fat no problem, but how I am going to chew meats ? lol

bngenoh said:
Since you seem to have an infection issue, I would like to suggest coconut oil. I brush my teeth, then use coconut oil as a mouth wash for approximately 30 seconds. Since coconut oil is purported to have antimicrobial properties, it may help, fwiw.

That's a pretty good idea. I heard some doctors say to ditch toothpaste and use saline solution and rinse, then finishing it off with oil rinse to have teeth in good health. I'd have to test coconut oil for mouth wash. My body does not take well internally, but externally might be whole another story.

Thank You for your time and suggestions !!
Cheers !

Brushing your teeth with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda might help with current and future infections.
I have been doing this for almost ten years and am told when I get my teeth cleaned that there is hardly anything to clean.
Be careful to brush gently as baking soda is abrasive.

Re: alternative to amalgams

Herr Eisenheim said:
Its the long time since you last posted but I only noticed this thread now.

Doing some dental work myself and I have been researching into this. It looks like the best solution indeed is to pull out the teeth. And possibly put implants, although this is not an option for many because of the costs.

Just wanted to give an update to this thread. Have been on the road for some months now and am just getting reconnected and catching up on the forum.

Had all of the amalgam fillings removed last year and I have to say how glad I was to do it. Having had five fillings I did not want to pull them. The one that was pulled I chose to remain uncrowned and still am sensitive around the gum after a year. The cost is very high, around $1000.00 US just for one crown.

One thing I found is that my mouth feels lighter in weight.

Endymion said:
I had all my amalgam fillings replaced with white composite fillings about a year ago. I can't comment on the toxicity of the composite, but I can say that the horrible metallic taste in my mouth from the amalgam fillings completely disappeared once they were gone.

Noticed this as well. The amalgam fillings that I had were over thirty years old and were a greenish grey color.

Herr Eisenheim said:
One thing is certain. Only one day after I had big amalgam filling removed I got a cold and this is after literally not being sick for last two years ( every since I went gluten and casein free).

There could be many factors as to why you caught a cold. Did your dentist follow safety measures while removal, i.e. cover your nose with a respirator type machine so you would not breathe in any toxic fumes? And make sure you did not swallow any amalgam?
Maybe even the dentist was getting or just got over a cold and the close proximity...

In conclusion there seems to be three choices;
-remove amalgams and replace with composite or ceramic
-pull tooth
-leave them alone

Re: Bruxism (teeth grinding)

The other day I was explaining to one of my students the importance of a loose jaw while singing. After the lesson I looked up some video clips, and while learning more about TMJ and related things, I slowly realized that I might be suffering from something called a posteriorized jaw. Now, I haven't had any actual pain or headaches, which would indicate TMJ and teeth grinding, but I've always had trouble opening and relaxing the jaw, especially while singing.

The videos posted by Hiker earlier in this thread were helpful, and I also found another good one with clear explanations of the process. Have a look:

TMJ 101 - Normal Jaw Function
http://youtu.be/8MKx5c0BRrQ

TMJ 102 - Myo-Facial Pain and Headaches
http://youtu.be/uBkXFuUQeNA

TMJ - 103 The Clicking and Popping Joint
http://youtu.be/3-7albLzIJE

TMJ - 104 Closed Lock
http://youtu.be/J4qKwSso89Y

I've never felt quite comfortable with the occlusion of my teeth. For instance, when doing an EE session my jaw sometimes starts to 'protest' and seeks a more frontal position. Until now I've dismissed this as not important, but now I've come to realize that it might have had an effect on my posture, neck pain, singing problems etc. Plus, as the evidence seen in the post below, the edge-to-edge bite of the incisor teeth IS anatomically more correct and natural (not endorsed by the modern dentists).

As i did the 'fingers in the ear' test, as described in the second video, I could clearly feel the ear canal closing. The thing that was a bit of a shocker, and made me a little bit sad, was that it seems like the process of 'pushing back my jaw' started when I was treated for overbite as a kid.

_http://www.realself.com/question/bicuspid-extraction-tmj

Extracting bicuspids is RARELY the best treatment option

Extracting teeth would only be recommended if crowding is a major problem. However, extracting four bicuspids almost always creates excess space that requires upper front teeth to be pushed too far back and arch width to be decreased in order to close the excess space. You must also remember that your face covers the teeth so if you pull your upper front teeth back too far your lower face goes with it. This will often cause your nose to appear large. The doctor who moves your teeth must pay close attention to how it will affect your face.

Brad Lockhart, DDS
Tustin Cosmetic Dentist
---
Bicuspid extractions can cause TMJ

If orthodontic extractions are recommended, it typically is because of either an overbite or crowding is present. Both crowding and overbites are the result of the upper jaw being too narrow. This also sets up the trapping of the lower jaw into a retreated position which is the primary reason for a TMJ Dysfunction to occur. If it is not corrected at the time of orthodontics, then the TMJ problem can surface later, potentially even years after the finishing of orthodontics. A non-extraction approach is the safest as that approach lets the lower jaw naturally come forward as development occurs allowing healthy TMJ function for the future. . My advice is to go with an orthodontist who avoids extractions, uses functional orthopedic treatment with a non extraction approach and pays attention to proper TMJ function.

Kent Lauson, DDS, MS
Denver Orthodontist
www.aotmj.com
---
_http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100401054155AANs0Gm

Braces can definitely cause TMJ. Whether it did so in your case depends on exactly what was done. The most common cause of orthodontically induced TMJ is having bicuspids (aka premolars) extracted and the excess space removed by retracting (pulling back) the front teeth. This causes the lower jaw to be forced back too far whenever the teeth come together. Likewise, any procedure that tries to push the lower jaw back tends to do the same.

Grinding can cause a secondary TMJ condition and/or aggravate a primary TMJ condition. To treat a secondary TMJ the causative factor just needs to be eliminated or made less harmful. In the case of severe grinding, a mouthguard or biteplate can help resolve the secondary TMJ condition.

When TMJ is orthodontically caused, the bite will need to be changed or the position of the lower jaw will need to be changed to resolve the problem.

TMJ disorders do not usually pop up overnight but rather creep up on you slowly over time. It will give you plenty of warning signs so if your symptoms appeared suddenly over a few days, then it is unlikely that you have a primary TMJ condition.
Source(s):
functional orthodontist; treated TMJ since 1984

This is exactly what was done to me - many teeth were extracted, and I had to use a contraption every night, for years, in order to pull my upper teeth backwards (and subsequently my jaw, too). And all this was done in good faith, to "fix" my teeth. And then my teeth were drilled and honed in order to get the "perfect occlusion".

As an experiment I bought a sports mouthgard yesterday, just to see if it makes any difference. And yes, after having it for the night and on occasions during the day, I can now feel the TMJ relaxing, and my upper spine and neck are more relaxed, too. There's actual sound coming from my neck as the muscles have started to relax! My larynx is also relaxing more than previously, and I'm eager to see how this will effect my singing.

I've also tried to find the right procedure of opening the jaw, as explained in the first video clip above - rotate back, then down (translation). Wow, finding the correct motion feels very liberating! I might need to see a qualified dentist to fix this permanently, but I suspect it might be a big and expensive procedure.

While looking up things, I found an interesting article. However, it doesn't take into account the mutagenic effects of e.g. grains and gluten (other than when talking about 'chewing stress'). All emphasis mine.

_http://www.uic.edu/classes/osci/osci590/7_1Anthropology.htm

7.1 ANTHROPOLOGY AND MALOCCLUSION

The practice of orthodontics probably began with the Etruscans in the 8th to fourth century BC. In their practice, wires were used for closing the space left by a tooth lost in life. Today the practice of orthodontics flourishes around the world, as witnessed by travelers to any large city, even in the Third World. It is estimated that at least one-half of American youth could benefit from orthodontic therapy. In the U.S., it has become the largest single precollege line item expense for families with children.

This article discuses occlusal variation, malocclusion, and a proposed explanation of its high prevalence in modern commercial societies.

The term occlusal variation is roughly synonymous with malocclusion. The definition of malocclusion is a clinically unacceptable arrangement of the teeth. Occlusal variation includes malocclusion and the many lesser deviations from a rarely attained ideal arangement of teeth that do not cause functional problems.

The first comprehensive inquiry into malocclusion and its causes was by Weston Price. Inn the 1930s, he travelled the world to document the nutritional habits and physical degeneration of people living on contemporary 'civilized' diets. He found a significant incrase in malocclusion in societies living on contemporary diets of prepared foods from domesticated crops.

His work is ignored today, dismissed for its association with alternative medicine and lack of academic rigor demanded now in scientific literature. His evidence was largely anectodal. Yet, read carefully, Price reveals himself as a perceptive. thoughtful, and penetrating thinker.

What he observed about dental degradation is not in dispute. The core of his observations is this: The incidence of malocclusion amongst aboriginal peoples increased after contact with commercial societies. He examined both living populations and many collections of archaeological material.

Relatively little study has gone into probing the underlying causes of occlusal variation as compared with research into correction of orthodontic problems. The emphasis on clinical correction is understandable: in the United States, some 40-60% of youth have malocclusions, with orthodontic treatment either rated highly desirable, mandatory, or already under way. Such prevalence of occlusion that varies from the ideal is considered normal in our Western population. It is the the only epidemiological pattern familiar to American orthodontists.

An important consideration in understanding occlusal variation is this: there is a tendency amongst non-technologic human societies for virtually all individuals to show a nearly ideal occlusion. This observation gives rise to a theory widely favored among anthropologists which may be stated as follows:

Malocclusion arises from the lack of chewing stress with the modern processed diet. This disuse has reduced jaw growth and increased the incidence of occlusal variation.

Price (1989) in the 1930s vividly documented dental degradation across the globe with photography and description in his remarkable text, first published in 1939. He correlated dental problems with the adoption of modern processed foods.

Numerous studies are documented by Corrucinni (1991) which confirm and extend the findings by Price, but much of the cause is now attributed to functional disuse of the masticatory system. The reader is referred to the Corruccinni article cited and to his extensive literature on the subject.

Recall our unit on What is Science? This is an opportunity to look at a hypothesis to see how it ties together existing evidence and how it can suggest additional inquiry.

Numerous examples of increased incidence of malocclusion with modern dietary habits are cited in Price (1989) and Coruccini (1991), which lend support to the theory. Some will be cited here. This article is largely based on Corrucinni. The reader is referred to this excellent article for additional reading. Corrucinni articles are interesting and well written.

I. COMPARISON IN AN ISOLATED RURAL COMMUNITY IN TRANSITION

A rural community in the Mammoth Cave region of central Kentucky was surveyed over a 25 year period as it made the transition to industry and mechanized farming. The diet at the outset was home-produced foods (especially dried pork and fried cornbread) which provided consistently stressful chewing. The transition was from this to a diet of purchased supermarket foods. This study was of special interest since diet changed but residence did not. Furthermore, these are people in the same society--it is not a cross-cultural study with its inherent problems of different genetic constitutions.

Arch breadth was smaller and significantly more variable in younger individuals. Bigonial breadth, measured from an area affected by the medial pterygoid and masseter muscle action was considerably smaller in the younger sample. This study tends to suggest that there is a genetic predisposition or susceptibility to be diverted from programmed oral growth pathway by environmental factors. Lack of function, therefore, led to a different phenotypic expression--one with more occlusal variation. (My note: physical anthropologists who have compared pre-contact Eskimo lower jaws with living peoples today comment are the robustisity of the ancient peoples who used their teeth for many paramasticatory purposes such as softening animal skins.

II. OCCLUSAL VARIATION IN NORTHWEST INDIA

Children of similar genetic heritage, but differing lifestyles have been studied side-by-side in India. The Punjabi communities studied included children born into a higher socioeconomic urban class and children from rural communities with its traditional dietary and residence habits. Neither group had access to significant amounts of orthodontic care. Significant differences were found in the samples. The lowest socioeconomic group had less variation from ideal occlusal relations and had wider (broader) maxillary arches. Lack of functional stimulation could explain occlusal changes that were observed: small jaws with normal-size teeth (not normal arches burdened with excessively large teeth), resulting in crowding plus maxillary narrowing.

III. THE BEGG HYPOTHESIS AND THE EPIDEMIOLOGY OF MALOCCLUSION

An Australian, P. R. Begg has studied both living and deceased Australian Aborigines and has used them as a model for Stone Age man.

In 1954, Begg reasoned that the relatively low incidence of malocclusion in Stone Age Man is due to the reduction by more than half an inch in the total length of each of his dental arches. This was caused by tooth attrition so that the smaller crowns (in mesiodistal diameter) could be more easily accommodated into the jaws. The theory has been widely cited since its publication. Begg also argued that retention of unworn occlusal-cusp was not a feature of non-modern societies. Since the cusps wear flat relatively early in life, it is argued that the function of cusps is to guide erupting teeth into proper position and occlusion.

What he is saying is this: the function of cusps is transitory: in their brief functional life, they establish mandibular and condylar position. The argument might continue like this: a flat plane occlusion allows protrusive and lateral movments without cuspal interferences and is therefore less susceptible to TMJ disturbances (especially with shallow condylar fossae). Our orthodox viewpoint, so deeply entrenched in dental education, holds that cusped teeth in adulthood is the proper functional form of teeth. This contrasting view argues that a flat-plane occlusion is the true normal state of adult occlusion.

[...]

IV. ANIMAL EXPERIMENTS AND THE DISUSE THEORY

Various experimental attempts to induce developmental change in the mammalian masticatory have been made. These have included mouth breathing induced by nasal passage blockage, stress to the masticatory apparatus or altered occlusal relationships, and calorie-deficient diets. Various studies have examined the influence of hardness or softness of the diet on the masticatory system experimentally. Rats were fed either pelleted rat chow as hard diet or crushed water-softened chow as a soft diet. The soft-diet animals had smaller mandibles, with condyles smaller and radiographically less dense, they had less width of the maxillary arch, and had smaller masseter and temporalis muscles.

A small population of rhesus macaques which spent a short period during adolescence on a soft instead of a hard diet revealed a significant narrowing of the maxillary arch in the soft-diet monkeys. In the squirrel monkey, occlusal and craniofacal development on a soft diet was analogous to common human malocclusions--mesially narrow and disproportionately long maxillary arches leading to incisor overjet and occasional overbite. There were impacted malerupted premolars and second molars, malaligned premolar rows, and crowded and rotated incisors. In contrast, mediolateral arch breadths were significantly larger in hard diet animals.

Baboons fed a very soft atherogenic diet consisting of cholesterol-rich foods, lard, butter, egg yolks, and powdered chow were compared with hard diet controls. The various occlusal anamolies were restricted to the soft diet experimental animals, some being quite typical of human malocclusions. These studies suggest that a diet of foods requiring chewing is important in coordinating occlusofacial growth and reducing occlusal variation. Should our children eat beef jerky instead of Twinkies?

V. THE ETIOLOGY OF THIRD MOLAR IMPACTIONS

Humans evolved in a high dental attrition environment. At the same time, excessively large teeth may have been a selective disadvantage to an individual. Mastication of tough foods not only involved wear of the occlusal surfaces, but also movement of each tooth within its alveolus, constrained by the periodontal ligament. This movement of teeth within the dental arch also resulted in wear on the interproximal surfaces. This resulted in reduced tooth diameters in the mesio-distal dimension. Combined with physiological mesial drift, humans would effectively achieve an increasing retromolar space as they age. The delayed eruption of the third molar seems to be an evolutionary adaptation to interproximal wear of the cheek teeth. It seems that the size of teeth were selected in anticipation of the wear and migration of the dental arcade to create sufficient room for the third molars.

The recent secular trend in increasing impactions does not seem to be a genetic change in humans. It is, instead, merely a response to a soft food diet. Without interproximal wear of the teeth, there simply is not enough room for third molar. Other factors at work with modern soft diets is dental arch width: narrower dental arches that result from disuse also contribute to shorter dental arches with less space available distal to second molars. (My note: for further discussion on these issues, see Mucci below.)

VI. CONCLUSION

The disuse theory for occlusal deterioration says that we no longer use our masticatory apparatus vigorously and therefore it does not grow properly. This notion is quite old. Disuse theory was always included in the original etiological lists in Angle's and other early textbooks. It disappeared from them in the 1920s.

Now, there is much additional evidence to suggest a relationship between occlusal anomalies and softness of diet. Some evidence comes from comparison of older and younger generations where the younger generation has taken on a more Westernized lifestyle involving a softer diet. Another approach has been to compare living groups with younger and older generations of recent aboriginal Australians with museum specimens of pre-European contact aboriginal peoples. The pre-contact people show the fewest malocclusions and the younger generation the most. The implication is that functional stimulation of the developing jaws by a harder diet produced a larger dental arch which in turn would accommodate the teeth more readily. (My note: the comments by Mucci are especially significant: he notes that modern people on processed diets have less jaw robusticity and less proximal wear. Both factors contribute to third molar impactions.)

Let us here conclude with a summary of the critical issues discussed in this article. Polygenic traits (such as teeth and jaw features) are polygenic and thus are vulnerable to environmental influences. Price (1989) and Corrucinni (1991) correlate increased occlusal variation with a change from primitive to modern diets. Corrucinni (1991) suggests that the increased occlusal variaton is associated with a lack of functional use. Mucci (1981) relates diet, jaw robustisity, and proximal wear to the third molar impaction problem.

Should young children chew more?

..... CJ '98 (My note: Be sure to examine the figures at the end of this page.)

Resources

Begg, P. Begg Orthodontic Theory and Technique. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders, 1965.
Corruccini, R. "Anthropological Aspects of Orofacial and Occlusal Variations and Anomalies" in Advances in Dental Anthropology New York: Wiley-Liss, Inc., 1991 pp 295-323.
Hilson, S. Dental Anthropology. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1996.
Mucci, R. The Role of Attrition in the Etiology of Third Molar Impactions: Confirming the Begg Hypothesis. Master's Thesis, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1982.
Price, W. Nutrition and Physical Degeneration. New Canaan: Keats Publishing, Inc., 1989.
Ring, M. Dentistry, an Illustrated History. St. Louis: C. V. Mosby Company, 1985.
Weinberger, B. History of Dentistry. St. Louis: C. V. Mosby Company, 1948.
Comment on the sources shown above: There is an extensive literature on this subject. Corrucini has quite a number of articles and they are intriguing. Begg seems to have been influenced by T. D. Campbell, another Australian with an extensive literature on Australian Aborigine teeth. Sim Wallace in 1904 influenced Campbell when he wrote that a lack of functional tooth use contributes to modern tooth irregularities unknown generations ago.

Occlusion in Modern and Stone Age Man

p-7.1-1.gif

Figure Two Left: Lateral view of occlusion described as a normal occlusion with good facial relationships of maxillary and mandibular teeth from a current textbook of dental anatomy.* Note the anterior overjet and the acute angle formed by the incisors.

Figure Two Right: Lateral view of a dentition considered "normal" and a proper orthodontic treatment goal for modern man by disciples of the Begg technique. Observe the reduced overjet and the more upright inclination of the incisor teeth, from Graber.**

p-7.1-2.gif

Figure Three

Adult Australian aboriginal skull with what is described by Begg as an anatomically correct attritional occlusion, including the edge-to-edge bite of the incisor teeth, adapted from Begg***

p-7.1-3.gif

Figure Four

Adult Australian aboriginal skull with marked attrition of the teeth that has extended well into the dentin, adapted from Begg***

* Ash, M. Wheeler's Dental Anatomy, Physiology, and Occlusion. 7th ed., Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders Company, 1993.

** Graber, T. Orthodontics Principles and Practice. 2nd ed., Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders Company, 1966.

*** Begg, P. Begg Orthodontic Theory and Technique. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders Company, 1965.

It is shocking to realize, that what todays dentists are basically doing is that they are destroying the naturalness of the occlusion (drilling and honing), and forcing the jaw into an unnatural position. Guess that's good business, too.

Thank you, Aragorn, for posting the videos and the article, excellent stuff and expands on the subject.

Yes, it seems to be that the classical way of viewing the occlusion and its effect on the joint (and further), is unfortunately quite one dimensional. The "orthodoxy" at the moment sees that there is no relation between the two and also that the dimensions of the upper and lower jaw can not necessarily be developed (especially in adults). However, this view is actually incorrect, as has been noticed on the field by the practitioners of "functional orthodontics".

If looking for a nearby dentist knowledgeable about the methods, perhaps some information could be found here:

www.cfoo.com
http://www.jawache.com/

My girlfriend has had this problem all her life, she has never had root canals or any type of dental work.

She recently tried out this type of treatment.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1163679/How-stop-teeth-grinding---little-help-Botox.html

Here is a clinical trial but no results posted:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00908050

The jaw clamping isn't her main issues, she gets lots of neck pain, headaches/migraines and doesn't sleep well because of this, but has learnt to live with it.

She says the botox has definitely helped, though we will keep observing over the next 3 months.

She did quite a lot of research and this definitely solves the problem for a lot of people and has no known side effects yet.

The surgeon she went to said it works for most of his patients, sometimes you have to come back if the first dose was too low.

Franco said:
The jaw clamping isn't her main issues, she gets lots of neck pain, headaches/migraines and doesn't sleep well because of this, but has learnt to live with it.

These are all symptoms of magnesium deficiency as well, including teeth grinding. Has she ever tried it in max doses?

Please forgive my sloppy response I am replying from my cell. Thank you all for this information. I have been suffering from an overbite/grinding my whole life and I have HUD mi grains, and even to this day at 35 years old I have painful earaches. I do believe my teeth are and have been the cause to these problems because I do know my "machine" well or should I say Iam more in tune with my elf?. I

Back
Top Bottom