Detoxification: Heavy Metals, Mercury and how to get rid of them

Skyfarmr said:
Here's an eat-your-medicine recipe I found years ago for heavy metal detox. Sorry I don't have the Dr's web address; I had it bookmarked on a computer that crashed a few years ago. but I recall he tested this pesto on his patients, taking UA before and after ingestion and testing urine for presence of heavy metals.
I recall that his results were very impressive showing that the post ingestion urine samples had markedly increased levels of heavy metals.
Parsley, which is also a great tonic for the kidneys, works well at chelating heavy metals, and could replace cilantro in recipe below, but of course, gives it a different taste.

Hi Skyfarmr - Interesting idea for mercury detox - sounds tasty. :) However, as you know, this forum is built and based on research. Please do an internet search and try to re-discover the website where you found this information. The more data forum members have, the better equipped we are to utilize information provided.

When I had my amalgam removed my dentist gave me activated charcoal tabs to take just prior to the work. This is meant to bind with any mercury that gets swallowed. He also had some powerfull vacuum suction contraption so deal with vapur/debris, if anyone is thinking of having work done it might be prudent to ask about protocols before deciding.

I did a post clean up with Cilantro as has been already been discussed.

1984 said:
Hi Skyfarmr - Interesting idea for mercury detox - sounds tasty. :) However, as you know, this forum is built and based on research. Please do an internet search and try to re-discover the website where you found this information. The more data forum members have, the better equipped we are to utilize information provided.

I do know; apologies for not backing it up. :-[
Anyway, I found it... surprised myself.
The article is titled The Poor Man's Chelation Therapy and highlights the work of Dr Yoshiaki Omura from the Heart Disease Research Foundation, New York, NY, USA (Acupuncture Electrotherapy Res. 96; 21 (2) 133-60 and Acupunct Eletrother Res. 1995 Aug-Dec. 20 (3-4) : 195-229 )
This was great to re-find. While I had recalled cilantro's chelating properties, I had forgotten what led to his discovery. Here's the link: http://home.earthlink.net/~jedcline/cilantro.html

Another article citing Dr. Yoshiak Omura's work is in this article: http://www.rawfoodinfo.com/articles/art_cilantroremheavymetals.html

(Black Swan also cites Dr. Omura's work in a forum on Dental Amalgams?:
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?action=search2 )

Stevie Argyll said:
When I had my amalgam removed my dentist gave me activated charcoal tabs to take just prior to the work. This is meant to bind with any mercury that gets swallowed. He also had some powerfull vacuum suction contraption so deal with vapur/debris, if anyone is thinking of having work done it might be prudent to ask about protocols before deciding.

I just had my amalgam fillings removed a couple of weeks ago at a holistic dentist. In addition to the vacuum device and active coal, I was wearing a mask over my nose and was given a strong dose (I forget how much exactly) of vitamin C.

The holistic dentists are more expensive for sure, but I prefer to shell out the extra bucks to having mercury poisoning my system...

Thor said:
Stevie Argyll said:

I just had my amalgam fillings removed a couple of weeks ago at a holistic dentist. In addition to the vacuum device and active coal, I was wearing a mask over my nose and was given a strong dose (I forget how much exactly) of vitamin C.

The holistic dentists are more expensive for sure, but I prefer to shell out the extra bucks to having mercury poisoning my system...

If you have finished with the removal of your amalgams, just as a suggestion, it could be quite helpul to do a detox in using DMSA. It will removed all the mercury and other toxins that you have in our body.

Gandalf said:
Thor said:
Stevie Argyll said:

If you have finished with the removal of your amalgams, just as a suggestion, it could be quite helpul to do a detox in using DMSA. It will removed all the mercury and other toxins that you have in our body.

I have thought about that and will definitely do it. However, I am unsure about the timing of the detox. :huh:

I am just about to begin the 6-week UltraMind Solution diet program and thought that I would do the mercury and heavy metal detox after that. Also, I intend to get a FIR blanket to aid the detox and hopefully help on my chronic back pain. I believe that I have read a couple of places that the detox is best undertaken when the diet is balanced but I am not sure where. What would you recommend?

Thor said:
I am just about to begin the 6-week UltraMind Solution diet program and thought that I would do the mercury and heavy metal detox after that. Also, I intend to get a FIR blanket to aid the detox and hopefully help on my chronic back pain. I believe that I have read a couple of places that the detox is best undertaken when the diet is balanced but I am not sure where. What would you recommend?

I would suggest to do the 6 weeks Ultramind Solution diet first and after that, you could do as you thought, the mercury detox. Buying a FIR blanket will help quite a lot for the detox.

Hi Thor,

Rather than the 6-week UltraMind Solution, I suggest you try this program: http://eiriu-eolas.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14 We have updated the dietary plan based on research that we've been collecting in this forum including the issue of lectins and the evils of dairy products and gluten in all cereals. The safe "grains" include buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth and wild rice. Other than that, the rest of the cereals contain gluten.

Make sure your gut is on a healthy state before doing a mercury detox. Often, there are candida issues when one detoxifies mercury, so it's best to be in good shape and making sure you are sleeping through the night before chelating heavy metals.

The timing for a mercury detox variates for each person. Doing the diet and treating candida can take a few months for some. But once you know which foods you can tolerate through the elimination diet ("ultrasimple diet") and if you don't have yeast overgrowth issues, you can give the mercury detox a try.

Psyche said:
Hi Thor,

Rather than the 6-week UltraMind Solution, I suggest you try this program: http://eiriu-eolas.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14 We have updated the dietary plan based on research that we've been collecting in this forum including the issue of lectins and the evils of dairy products and gluten in all cereals. The safe "grains" include buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth and wild rice. Other than that, the rest of the cereals contain gluten.

Make sure your gut is on a healthy state before doing a mercury detox. Often, there are candida issues when one detoxifies mercury, so it's best to be in good shape and making sure you are sleeping through the night before chelating heavy metals.

The timing for a mercury detox variates for each person. Doing the diet and treating candida can take a few months for some. But once you know which foods you can tolerate through the elimination diet ("ultrasimple diet") and if you don't have yeast overgrowth issues, you can give the mercury detox a try.

Psyche,

Thanks a a lot. I hadn't spent time on the EE forum but now there is even more to learn from :)

On a similar note, I am also getting vitamins and supplements according to the quizzes in The UltraMind Solution. In addition to the Essentials Kit (Multivitamin, Calcium/Magnesium, Vitamin D3, B-complex, Omega-3 fats and probiotics) I also scored self care on all the Key 1 Quizzes, which means that I should take the following supplents kits: Phospholipid (PC and PS), Serotonin (5-HTP, Melatonin), GABA (GABA and Theanine), Dopamine (L-Thyrosine and DL-phenylalanine) and Acetylcholine (PC and PS, which is the same as under Phospholipids).

In The UltraMind Solution, Mark Hyman recommends introducing one supplement per week in addition to the Essentials Kit. I am wondering whether this would make it more difficult for me to perceive reactions to the diet :huh: How and when would you recommend to introduce the supplements from the Essentials Kit and from Key1 - before or after starting on the diet?

I am hoping that the diet will give many of the results so many of you claim as I am a little bit anxious about letting go of so many of the things that I currently like :/

Thor said:
[I am hoping that the diet will give many of the results so many of you claim as I am a little bit anxious about letting go of so many of the things that I currently like :/

Researching about it will also make it easier. When you read how evil inflammatory foods are, you really find great motivation to stay away from evil foods.

You can start on the basic supplementation right away and re-introduce "calming" supplements right away as well, and then after 2 weeks, introduce the "stimulating" supplements. Calming supplements include 5 HTP and GABA, the stimulating ones include those ones for the dopamine imbalance: DL-phenylalanine and L-tyrosine.

Psyche said:
Thor said:
[I am hoping that the diet will give many of the results so many of you claim as I am a little bit anxious about letting go of so many of the things that I currently like :/

Researching about it will also make it easier. When you read how evil inflammatory foods are, you really find great motivation to stay away from evil foods.

You can start on the basic supplementation right away and re-introduce "calming" supplements right away as well, and then after 2 weeks, introduce the "stimulating" supplements. Calming supplements include 5 HTP and GABA, the stimulating ones include those ones for the dopamine imbalance: DL-phenylalanine and L-tyrosine.

Psyche,
Your advice is well heeded. There is much to read and to begin with it seemed daunting and I thought the "learning is fun" was a bit of a cliche as I would rather have the answer handed to me. However, as I have read the threads on the USD and got to know the research on gluten, casein, lectins, the working of the gut, etc. I must admit that not only is learning both fun and very interesting but it also makes it a lot easier to get ready to let go of current habits.

However, one thing I find difficult when I take in so much information is to prioritize and while there is much help to be found in reading the threads in their entirety to hear other people's perspectives, I still have a question that I am hoping you could help me with as I am unsure about what to do first.

When reading the thread on Leaking Gut Syndrome I came to the conclusion that I wanted to use the clay to help clean out my intestines and ordered it from iHerb right away. I thought this would be a good foundation on which to introduce the USD and supplements that will arrive shortly (I hope :)). I have been on Tramadol, Ibuprofen and Paracetamol on a daily basis for several years (although I have been off them for about six months, now) and have chronic lower back pains (with very high hopes for improvement once I switch to the USD) which could point in that direction.

When would you recommend I do the clay protocol - before switching to the USD, at the same time or after a while on it?

Thanks for all your relevant and illuminating input on the forum - it is really appreciated. :)

I am a bit uncertain if this question should be in the Leaky Gut Syndrome thread. If so, please move to its proper place.

Hi Thor,

It doesn't make much sense to take it when you eat unhealthy foods, but if you are already eating healthy, you can start taking it now. Otherwise you can take it when you start the ultra simple diet. Make sure you don't get constipated. Happy cleansing! :)

Hello Data. I am being slowly weaned off of methadone,(unnaturral opiate with a very long half life).
I was told that doing a detox might make me extremely uncomfortable, And i was curious as to weather those 7 day kits u see in health stores are any good?

Just back from a visit to a very interesting dentist today. He's not a holistic dentist but he's been beating a lonely drum about the dangers of 'silver' amalgams for over twenty years now. As I was waiting to be called I noticed a large poster on the wall full of scientific data about mercury toxicity from regular amalgams. During the assessment he measured the toxicity in my mouth using two instruments, one for testing the vapour, and another for testing the charge. My readings were low, which he said he expected since I have only four mercury amalgams. The other good news is that there are no complications with the amalgams so I'm all set to have the first two out in early November and the remainder by the end of November.
The dentist asked me why I wanted to have the amalgams replaced and I told him about the research I did on the internet. He said, "Thank God for the Internet!" :) He has noticed more and more people coming to him after doing their own research. I told him that the last time I was with my regular dentist he had a letter on the Waiting Room wall from the Head of the Dentists' Association in my country. It was intended to reassure patients that their silver amalgams were perfectly safe and that there is no scientific evidence to the contrary. Bill, my dentist today, had a look of disgust on his face and said, 'What would he know, he's no Toxicologist!'. They'll never own up, he said, the lawsuits would be worse than those against the commercial tobacco industry.
I've already started the Ultramind Solution diet and am near the end of my second week. Can't believe it's just a few weeks since I was still eating a lot of eeevil stuff:) My mind does feel sharper already but there's a long way to go, am backing it up with EE and yoga and am getting alternative calms and storms of emotions, but that's to be expected when detoxing body, mind and soul I guess, ain't pleasant at times, but I'm getting there and I hope to be ready to do the heavy metal detox early in the new year. Have my DMSA already:)
Thanks to all who've posted with good advice and data. I've known about mercury poisoning for a few years now but dragged my feet about doing anything until I joined the forum and read the threads. I got the kick I needed:)

Way to go Ageeva! :thup:
Just remember to take it at a pace you are comfortable at and don't over do things. If your emotions are too stirred up after the EE program, try cutting out the round breathing for a little while, or just do that part once a week.

davey72 said:
Hello Data. I am being slowly weaned off of methadone,(unnaturral opiate with a very long half life).
I was told that doing a detox might make me extremely uncomfortable, And i was curious as to weather those 7 day kits u see in health stores are any good?
Hi Davey72
Do you know what those 7 day kits contain? Its pretty hard to say how good they are without knowing what they use. fwiw
Have you looked up FIR saunas and the detox shake? :)

Back
Top Bottom