Diabetes

Re: "Diabetes Solution" by Dr. Bernstein

Laura said:
So, even Dr. Bernstein is not fully up to speed... typical. But you've found some good stuff there, nonetheless. Maybe you can end up writing your own book about it?

Well, an article is planned ;). And step by step, but something needs to be done however. Because in German, I haven't found something yet that even gets close in that direction, so that it would makes sense to overcome the language barrier and to work in that direction.

Gawan said:
Laura said:
So, even Dr. Bernstein is not fully up to speed... typical. But you've found some good stuff there, nonetheless. Maybe you can end up writing your own book about it?

Well, an article is planned ;). And step by step, but something needs to be done however. Because in German, I haven't found something yet that even gets close in that direction, so that it would makes sense to overcome the language barrier and to work in that direction.

I have to correct myself here, cause since several days I have opened a tab with an article about Diabetes type II and actually it is an article about a low carb book and a diabetes books (for type II), but haven't gone into that one yet, well till some minutes ago. ;)

I likely will have a look into the author and what she wrote about and maybe she has also some German references listed, what would be helpful for that study, article etc.

_http://www.press-release.in/diabetes-typ-zwei-muss-kein-schicksal-sein-65247

My 9 year old son was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five days ago while we were on our family vacation in Florida. We spent two days in the hospital. They gave us a crash course in diabetes so we could get back home to Ohio. I'm confused, frustrated, and left wondering what now? I follow the paleo diet, but what can I do for him? The doctor in Florida has him on a fixed carb diet until we can get in to see the endocrinologist in Ohio next week.

jen1221 said:
My 9 year old son was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five days ago while we were on our family vacation in Florida. We spent two days in the hospital. They gave us a crash course in diabetes so we could get back home to Ohio. I'm confused, frustrated, and left wondering what now? I follow the paleo diet, but what can I do for him? The doctor in Florida has him on a fixed carb diet until we can get in to see the endocrinologist in Ohio next week.

Hello jen, I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe follow a bit the Dr. Bernstein topic and since you are from America, maybe you can contact him too, or at least his book is worth a read. Dr. Bernstein mentioned also something like this:

Bernstein said:
p.50

Yet another approach to replacing lost beta cells has been used by two competing companies to cure diabetes in animals. The technique involves a series of ordinary injections of proteins that stimulate the remaining beta cells to replicate until the lost ones have been replaced.

A very promising new approach relies on the fact that most diabetics, even most type Is, have a few beta cells that still replicate. Their immune systems, however, make white cells called killer T cells that destroy the new beta cells as fast as they are made — or faster. If the culprit T cells can be isolated, they can be replicated and used to create antibodies that can be injected into diabetics to destroy all of their culprit T cells without impairing their overall immunity. A diabetic's few remaining beta cells would then be able to replicate, eventually curing the diabetes. It's possible that these new "former diabetics" would require antibody injections every few years to prevent the appearance o f more culprit T cells.

With respect to the replication of beta cells, the catch for me and other diabetics who no longer have any insulin-producing capacity is that the cells from which new beta cells would be replicated ideally should be your own, and after more than six decades I may have none. Had my diabetes been diagnosed, say, a year earlier, or had my blood sugars been immaculately controlled immediately upon diagnosis, the injected insulin might have taken much of the strain off my remaining beta cells and allowed them to survive.

Many people (including the parents o f diabetic children) view hav ing to use insulin as a last straw, a final admission that they are (or their child is) a diabetic and seriously ill. Therefore they will try any thing else — including things that will burn out their remaining beta cells— before using insulin. Many people in our culture have the notion that you cannot be well i f you are using medication. This is non sense, but some patients are so convinced that they must do things the "natural" way that I practically have to beg them to use insulin, which is as "natural" as one can go. In reality, nothing could be more natural. Diabetics who still have beta cell function left may well be carrying their own cure around with them — provided they don't burn it out with high blood sugars and the refusal to use insulin.

p.37

The causes of type 1diabetes have not yet been fully unraveled. Research indicates that it's an autoimmune disorder in which the body's immune system attacks the pancreatic beta cells that produce insulin. Whatever causes type 1 diabetes, its deleterious effects can absolutely be prevented. The earlier it's diagnosed, and the earlier blood sugars are normalized, the better off you will be.

Take care!

I finished some weeks ago the book and as I wrote the book is really helpful and contains many tips and explanations I was not aware of myself and also as I wrote Dr. Bernstein goes not in the direction, where the studies of the forum goes. Nonetheless and I can only write again it was very helpful to read it.

To give a minor gist and also in some following posts of what I found out.

Magnesium is really a miracle and helps to balance out the body reactions, when the body itself is more insulin resitant, that means in the morning, and the so called dawn phenomon:

Bernstein glossary said:
Dawn phenomenon:
An apparent reduction in the effectiveness of insulin in lowering or maintaining blood sugar due to rapid clearance of insulin from the bloodstream by the Liver. It may begin about an hour before arising in the morning and continue for 2-3 hours after awak ening.

To counter this phenomen magnesium is a great help. So far thorught the diet change, I take potassium citrate with magnesium citrate in the morning, and it helps that my body is more sensitive for insulin in the morning. Also before going to bed I take a high dosis of Mg-Chloride (transdermal), cause diabetics are prone to loose magnesium over the day as it for example Caroly Dean in The Magnesium Miracle wrote, beside other studies that have been done. Also Dr. Bernstein writes about the importance of Mg.

I'm myself using an insulin pump, which for the specific diet changes is a better tool to use imo. There are advantages and as well disadvantages. The advantages are for example, that I can balance out low blood-sugars (BG), cause I'm not eating any sugar and only complex (slow) carbs and maximal about 20 grs a day, in lowering the basal rate over one hour or longer with a rate of lowering the basal insulin of about 50-90%. Cause when using syringes with long-acting insulin (i.e. Levimir) and once it is injected the insulin takes it course and once you are doing sport, I may have to eat carbs to keep my BG stable and to prevent it before eventually getting hypoglycemic. This is the main advantage I found out.

The flipside is, that using a pump and with that infusion sets, these sets can get inflamed and prevent that the insulin is working properly, that means BGs can get high or higher, so it is important to watch for any signs of itchiness and not as I have done often to wait too long, before changing the set. It may be safer with slower acting insulin, instead what is most common for pumpers using lispro (the fastest insulin that is available on the market), cause the main danger is, ones the pump is not connected, no insulin is injected it may get very dangerous for pumpers, causing a keto-acidosis.

Another thing I found important, that also the fastest insulin is not fast enough to prevent peaks after eating (specially in a high-carb diet) and this is the whole gist of the book, to have no peaks at all anymore. And these fluctuations are the reasons for diabetic complications (neuropathy, retinopathy and the possibility of damaging as well the vagus-nerve (but I get into that in another post)). And when I think about, the doctors I have been are trating diabetes: "It is enough to inject the insulin (lispro) before you eat or when you eat", which leads into these dangerous ups and downs, when also with this insulin (lispro) about 20 mins should be waited before eating. It's like a suicide course for diabetics, cause of lacking and propagandizing false and simply wrong knowledge.

I also glimpsed through really expensive health-books (about 113 €), one was called "nutritional medicine" and they published the propaganda: of polyunsaturated fat to lower cholesterine, warned against saturated fat and recommended about 200gr of carbs daily if not 290 for diabetics, at the moment I got pretty annoyed in the bookstore, that something like this can be published and sold. Maybe it is something what Freud had done too, just claiming it is the truth and so it is, no facts are needed to proof insanity and beliefs. Geeze. ;)

Gawan said:
Cause when using syringes with long-acting insulin (i.e. Levimir) and once it is injected the insulin takes it course and once you are doing sport, I may have to eat carbs to keep my BG stable and to prevent it before eventually getting hypoglycemic.
You may find this book helpful here - The Paleo Diet for Athletes by Loren Cordain and Joe Friel.

Trevrizent said:
Gawan said:
Cause when using syringes with long-acting insulin (i.e. Levimir) and once it is injected the insulin takes it course and once you are doing sport, I may have to eat carbs to keep my BG stable and to prevent it before eventually getting hypoglycemic.
You may find this book helpful here - The Paleo Diet for Athletes by Loren Cordain and Joe Friel.

Thanks Trevrizent, I will have a look into it.

Thanks so much for the information on Vitamin C, Gawan. I never knew that and I have been taking moderately high doses. Type 2 Diabetes has been my new situation over these last few months, and the dietary information I've found here on the forum has been most helpful in lowering my numbers significantly. (Plus one tablet of Glipizide which is the generic of Gluoctrol. All the other meds my doctor prescribed had ill effects like hand swelling, etc.)
Since I can't afford a lot of medical supplies I only take one reading a day. And, being an artist, I really don't like puncturing my fingers. A kind nurse had suggested that I use the palm of my hand below the thumb which is now the "pin cushion" of this testing. It doesn't hurt as much and I get enough blood to complete a proper reading.
Thanks again for your research.

Re: Members experience of TYPE 1 Requested

This thread is exactly what I was looking for. I researched Type 2 Diabetes a few years ago when my Dad was diagnosed with it. What I found is what is presented by Greenmed info and this forum. My Dad has easily controlled his diabetes through diet,exercise, and chromium supplements.

This weekend we have our niece, Alice, staying with us. She is 17 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes a couple of years ago. I don't think the cause needs going into, although I have a feeling it may be down to the Gardasil 'vaccine' she was given shortly before, as well as a non-healthy diet.

This is the first time we have been able to have Alice to ourselves. Last night we were up till the early hours trying to deal with a hypo situation. Today at around lunchtime she is stable again. But it seems management of her blood glucose has never been mastered. There seem to be a lot of ups and downs. The fact that she is under a lot of stress doesn't help of course.

I just asked Alice how she feels. She feels hot inside but cold outside. Does that mean anything to anyone?

I am hoping members who have succeeded in managing their Type 1 diabetes will give me some advice/tips on how it can/should be done.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Vic said:
This is the first time we have been able to have Alice to ourselves. Last night we were up till the early hours trying to deal with a hypo situation. Today at around lunchtime she is stable again. But it seems management of her blood glucose has never been mastered. There seem to be a lot of ups and downs. The fact that she is under a lot of stress doesn't help of course.

17 is still young imo and eventually puberty is playing a role? And stress can cause a lot of havoc since hormones get released and can further influence the blood sugar most often to the bad in my experience. And it sounds like a long hypo situation how did you deal with it? But can she feel when her BG gets lower?

Vic said:
I just asked Alice how she feels. She feels hot inside but cold outside. Does that mean anything to anyone?

Symptoms can differ a lot, but a severe hypoglycemia can be exhausting and cause cold hands for example. It's like a stress situation for the body imo.

Vic said:
I am hoping members who have succeeded in managing their Type 1 diabetes will give me some advice/tips on how it can/should be done.

My experience is, diet is key. But it has to be her decision changing the diet and willing to do something, cause she has to live with it. Eventually Dr. Bernsteins book Diabetes Solution is a good go, to get imo very good information about diabetes and a carb reduced diet. Still - I'm myself on a ketogenic diet - there will be always bad days but things are much more manageable imo.

Anyway good to hear, that she does better.

Gawan said:
Vic said:

gawan said:
17 is still young imo and eventually puberty is playing a role? And stress can cause a lot of havoc since hormones get released and can further influence the blood sugar most often to the bad in my experience. And it sounds like a long hypo situation how did you deal with it? But can she feel when her BG gets lower?

Thanks so much for your response, Gawan. Puberty hit her long ago, but she is under so much stress - bad parenting, ran away from home, foster care, the diabetes - and all that on top of the difficulties most teenagers have to go through. When she went hypo I was banging away on the computer to find out how to deal with it. Alice seemed to know, but following her advice of giving her a couple of sweets, followed by a slice of bread didn't work. I then read that she should have at least three glucose losenges (or equivalent) followed by two or three slices of toast. This is what we did, and oh so slowly her count started going up. She said that she used to feel it when her BG went low, but hasn't done lately. She said this more than once, suggesting that it alarmed her.

Vic said:

gawan said:
Symptoms can differ a lot, but a severe hypoglycemia can be exhausting and cause cold hands for example. It's like a stress situation for the body imo.

That makes sense. An explanation makes this easier to deal with.

Vic said:

gawan said:
My experience is, diet is key. But it has to be her decision changing the diet and willing to do something, cause she has to live with it. Eventually Dr. Bernsteins book Diabetes Solution is a good go, to get imo very good information about diabetes and a carb reduced diet. Still - I'm myself on a ketogenic diet - there will be always bad days but things are much more manageable imo.

Yes, that's the hard part - guiding her to see that she must take responsibility for her diabetes herself - her diet, research (I'll do the research - just hope she wants to use it) I'll get that book today.

"Even after the beta cells in the pancreas have experienced significant levels of destruction, and there is now insufficient insulin to keep blood sugar below toxic levels, the medical establishment pretends like the body’s self-healing and regenerative abilities don’t exist. Every minute 70,000 cells in our body are reborn, and over the course of 100 days all 17 trillion are replaced by new cells. If one can remove the causes of autoimmune self-destruction by clearing infections, removing diabetogenic foods, correcting mineral and vitamin deficiencies and imbalances, shifting the tissue and blood pH back from dangerously acidic levels, and supplementing the diet with proven beta-cell regenerating foods, herbs, or nutrients, the pancreas (in some cases) can regenerate beta cell function. [see list of beta cell regenerators here]."

The above extract from the GreenMedInfo article suggests that Type 1 Diabetes can be reversed. I have read other research that says the Paleo/ketogenic diet has a massive effect on Diabetes.

From what you say, Gawan, it hasn't had that sort of effect on you. Or I may have not understood fully your feedback. Does anyone actually know anyone that has reversed Type 1 diabetes?

Thanks again for your help, Gawan.

Vic said:
Thanks so much for your response, Gawan. Puberty hit her long ago, but she is under so much stress - bad parenting, ran away from home, foster care, the diabetes - and all that on top of the difficulties most teenagers have to go through. When she went hypo I was banging away on the computer to find out how to deal with it. Alice seemed to know, but following her advice of giving her a couple of sweets, followed by a slice of bread didn't work. I then read that she should have at least three glucose losenges (or equivalent) followed by two or three slices of toast. This is what we did, and oh so slowly her count started going up. She said that she used to feel it when her BG went low, but hasn't done lately. She said this more than once, suggesting that it alarmed her.

Your welcome. It's good to know that she did know how to handle it and I can imagine feeling helpless and not knowing what to do is also not good. The approach seemed right. First to take fast sugar (but don't know what sweets she ate) and first wait a bit, so that it can get digested (the best is always fluid sugar: juices etc or coke (if she drinks coke) and then "slower" sugar that gets slowly absorbed and keep the sugar stable again. To speak in metaphors it wouldn't help eating sugar and butter together since it gets very slowly digested cause of the fat :).

Vic said:
Yes, that's the hard part - guiding her to see that she must take responsibility for her diabetes herself - her diet, research (I'll do the research - just hope she wants to use it) I'll get that book today.

Unfortunately you cannot do more than only to suggest it or to make a present with the book for example, if she uses it it's her choice and free will then. In my teens I was also more crazy with my diabetes and did also many mistakes.

Vic said:
The above extract from the GreenMedInfo article suggests that Type 1 Diabetes can be reversed. I have read other research that says the Paleo/ketogenic diet has a massive effect on Diabetes.

From what you say, Gawan, it hasn't had that sort of effect on you. Or I may have not understood fully your feedback. Does anyone actually know anyone that has reversed Type 1 diabetes?

There is eventually a chance of reversing diabetes at the very beginning with diet and prolonging the so called honeymoon phase, as to what I read. But if healing is possible I really don't know eventually these are (just) chances, since real research seems to be lacking. In my case I'm a diabetic since about 20 years, so a bit too old for reversing ;). The problem I see is, that most often kids develop diabetes Type-1 and to change from a normal diet to let's say a low-carb diet (without gluten, milk) would be very hard and to make them understand, beside the parents would need to be knowledgeable and so on. At least with diet things can get better and much, much less up and downs with blood sugar in my experience.

Fwiw here is also a small summary from Bernsteins book, also when my approach about vitamin c may not be correct:

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,24295.msg276270.html#msg276270

Re: Diabetes Discussion

I'm a diabetic for over 7 years. Sugar up to one year is quite irregular. Wheat products about a year ago, I stopped eating things like soft drinks and chocolate. Instead, sesame oil, molasses, nuts, walnuts, eggs, cheese, butter and meat, I created a list of my own. Cinnamon and ginger added daily diet very. I had to reduce the dose of insulin used. My blood sugar was order. I drink their hold to close to 20 cigarettes each day. Although there was not a nuisance to chronic bronchitis. Also I consume core raisins and fruit. Wheat products in much better shape since I left.

Re: Diabetes Discussion

Sound advice, Gawan. Thank you. I've ordered the Diabetes Solution book. It's also good to know that you were a little bit crazy and made mistakes when you were younger, but still managed to control your blood sugar as you matured. That takes away the immediate worry about Alice either causing neuropathic problems, or worse. But I do see this as urgent and will be gently and subtly guiding her with all the restraint I can muster. As you imply, Gawan, the bigger picture involves her free will. Thanks again.

Thanks to you, Scyth, too. I appreciate your advice, and confirmation that making the correct dietary decisions can greatly improve blood sugar, and decrease the need for insulin. It's even more important now with the medical establishment dumping synthetic insulin on diabetics, as opposed to the bovine variety that was so much healthier years ago.

Back
Top Bottom