Dragonfly photo

Here's a photograph of a dragonfly I took at chalice well gardens in glastonbury last year.

Attachments

• dragonfly.jpg
    dragonfly.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 127
...gorgeous :) , jupiterbeings !! Thank you for sharing ~ I love/honor dragonflies both as living beings and, from my humble experience/view, as Universe (DCM) representatives reminding me of the preciousness of the moment (really all we have is the ever-present Now...as the Cs have said, there is no such thing as 'time') ~ Thank You Again :flowers:

It looks huge, how big was it approximately? It is also interesting how dragonflies are seen in different cultures: In some european cultures it was connected to the devil and more evil, for some native Americans it stood for activity and somewhere else they are also eaten according to wiki.

Thank you, that specimen is beautiful. I too love to watch dragonflies, damselflies, butterflies and even moths. They can be very beautiful and say a lot about the little creatures of creation :)

Amazing picture, jupiterbeings! Thank you very much :) I think you have a very good keen eye for the Nature's beauty. If you have some other pictures that you find interesting, can you post them on the Forum?

Thanks. What lovely photo! A beautiful creature in a beautiful setting - i have been to chalice wells gardens a few times, so peaceful and full of natures wonder :)

Beautiful, beautiful! Every time I see a dragonfly I feel touched by magic. How gorgeous and amazing is this insect, like a little jewel.

The Meaning of a Dragonfly
In China, people associate the dragonfly with prosperity, harmony and as a good luck charm.
Amongst Native Americans, it is a sign of happiness, speed and purity. Purity because the dragonfly eats from the wind itself
http://www.dragonfly-site.com/meaning-symbolize.html

Thanks for the lovely photo. Yes, dragonflies certainly catch your attention when they are around. Very fascinating their flight capabilites and their multi-faceted eyes. Feel like they can see inside my brain and know what I'm thinking. :P Found this bit about dragonflies from the Tree of Life web project by Richard J. Rowe.

http://tolweb.org/notes/?note_id=2471

"Dragonfly wings are very dynamic structures. They are not simple planar objects. The corrugations in the wing hold an aerofoil of air around the physical wing, lowering friction, and the wings flex around several axes, responding both to muscle actions and to inertia effects. The pterostigma on the leading edge near the tip is a weight that causes the wing tip area to flex during a wing stroke, improving aerodynamic efficiency.

Whereas aircraft use only two methods for generating lift (and one of these only for very short periods) dragonflies use at least four distinct physical processes: classical lift, supercritical lift, vortices, and vortex shedding."

The last bit about dragonflies using vortices and vortex shedding to fly sounds intriguing. Don't know what it is but will look it up.

O.K., I've returned. Looked up vortex shedding and this gets kind of interesting.

So, vortex shedding is the oscillating flow that occurs behind a building or fixed object as air or water flows past. For a quick notion of what vortex shedding is take a peak at Wikipedia's entry on it but it kind of looks like what happens when you stir creamer into brown coffee. So as not to get too far ahead of myself gonna put out the definition of a vortex which is "that in fluid dynamics, a vortex is a region within a fluid where the flow is mostly a spinning motion about an imaginary axis, straight or curved. That motion pattern is called a vortical flow."

Now this from Wikipedia, "If the cylindrical structure is not mounted rigidly and the frequency of vortex shedding matches the resonance frequency of the structure, the structure can begin to resonate, vibrating with harmonic oscillations driven by the energy of the flow. This vibration is the cause of the "singing" of overhead power line wires in a wind, and the fluttering of automobile whip radio antennas at some speeds."

Now, going to proceed from dragonfly flight to meteors. The section in the paragraph above about the singing and resonating struck a chord with me about what Pierre was talking about in the Sott Radio Show of All and Everything when he was discussing the sounds or trumpets from the sky with the sound seeming to come from everywhere and yet nowhere. Meteors, fireballs and asteroids would most certainly create a vortex shedding in our atmosphere and in the planet's electromagnetic field, not to mention that these are electrically charged bodies, and this vortex shedding causes objects to sing or resonate, or produce sound coming from everywhere because all material objects in some way are transducing those sound waves in their own manner. May account for things like sinkholes, cranes falling over, planes and trains crashing and even weather modification in addition to overall gravity factor. I remember once when I was thirteen and taking off in an airplane from Los Angeles airport. As we were over the Pacific our plane flew into the air vortex of another plane and we literally were flipped sideways. Scared the bejesus out of me. But, if a jet's trail can do that to another object imagine what a larger object much more electrically charged and going much faster could do. Or, even what a bunch of smaller objects in a stream or cloud could produce.

Fascinating subject. Know I've moved off from the photo but it was very inspiring so thanks again for posting it as you've increased my knowledge and curiousity. Alright, coming more full circle, there are areas of study where people are looking at harnessing the energy of the vortex for useful purposes and maybe that's really what the dragonfly in all it's glory can do. It's wings and body are able to transduce vortex energies which are naturally created everywhere, or receive and recycle the energies from vortex waves for it's own use. A kind of food or nutrition perhaps. Kind of have to stop here because I'm getting sucked in and want to look at the prismatic sheen on the wings and how it relfects and refracts light and how that also might factor in. Cheers Jupiterbeings. :)

Back
Top Bottom