E-cigarettes: research - experiments - ideas

This is what we had in Europe until TPD 2 came into pass with its restrictions on quantities and nicotine content. It is nicotine extracted with industrial methods and diluted in pg or vg. It will help smokers with survival in non smoking areas.

Beyond that the question whether it is "ok" can only be answered on an individual basis. For some people it can work as a permanent replacement of tobacco. For many others it will not. They will still have a craving for their cigarettes. So, your question touches upon the great mystery of vaping. Why does it not work for everybody? Why do many smokers still need to burn tobacco?

There is still no final answer to these questions. Some people get along well with vaping naturally extracted nicotine liquids. They contain some more alkaloids from tobacco leaves, aside from nicotine.

Will this work for everybody?

I'm not sure yet.
I can’t vape, my lungs completely refuse it, I cough so much that my eyeballs feel like they’ll pop out. Does anyone else have this issue?

here's some info flashgordonv posted on the smoking is good thread that may have some relevance to this topic in case anyone hasn't seen it. @flashgordonv have you learned anything new since you posted this?

First thing to bear in mind is that there is a strong anti-vaping contingent. These people were part of the anti-smoking lobby originally, but widened their remit once vaping started to become popular. IMO they are Neo-puritans. I found it hilarious because the pro-vaping anti-smoking people suddeny started complaining that these people were lying, fudging the science etc - all the things we used to complain about with regard to the anti-smoking fraudulent data.

However I say this because a lot of the negative stuff around vaping comes from these people so, just like the anti-smoking rhetoric,you can take it with a pinch of salt. All vapes have a metallic heating coil, it is after all how the vapour is produced. All the vape liquids I am aware of consist of a mixture of propelyne glycol (PG) and vegetable glycerine (VG) and no water.. The higher the level of VG, the more vapour they produce when heated, and these tend to use devices that need a high wattage. Not aware of any that are soy based.

Next thing is that the great majority of vape liquid suppliers are smaller manufacturers, vapers who decided to get into production to turn out flavours they wanted. Very few pharma type organisations, particularly in the liquid manufacturing area. Disposables are a bit of a different story so I'd steer clear of them. There are two different types of vaping devices, one tha uses nicotine salts which have natural nicotine in them, and the high VG liquids which use synthetic nicotine and which produce prodigious clouds of vapour.

I vape nicotine salt based vapes. You will need to acquire a vaping device - Innokin and Aspire are two good brands. You will also need to buy coils to go with them, which typically last a couple of weeks. Then you will need to source some liquid. Nic salt liquids typically come in 20, 30, 40, or 50 mg strength. I vape 40 or 50. As far as flavours, you just have to try a few and find something that you like. In my experience, avoid the supposed tobacco flavoured ones, I have tried literally dozens, and none of them taste like smoking a cigarette. I finally settled on an orange ice flavour.

The nic salts liquid tend to be 50/50 pg /vg. The synthetic stuff usually 70/30 vg/pg

I'd like to give this vaping thing a go, but unfortunately where I live, I need a doctor to prescribe me nicotine!! yes I know it's crazy

National vaping reforms​

The Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has changed national laws in 2024 to strengthen controls on the importation, manufacture, and supply of all vaping products (with or without nicotine).

Vaping products can only be dispensed by a registered pharmacist with a valid prescription from a medical practitioner. From 1 October 2024, pharmacists will be able to supply some vaping products to adults over 18 without a prescription.

Vaping products can only be dispensed by a registered pharmacist with a valid prescription from a medical practitioner. From 1 October 2024, pharmacists will be able to supply some vaping products to adults over 18 without a prescription.

That is absolutely nuts. This is all the more reason to figure out a way to manufacture the stuff oneself.

Glycerine, tobacco and water looks good to me!

It can be an intolerance to pg (propylene glycol), the commercial liquid's main ingredient.
I literally cannot inhale vapes, I can’t even put them near my mouth and act like I’m going to inhale. If someone else is vaping I don’t have a problem with their exhalation, it’s really weird. I think it’s the vapour itself, I’ve tried a vape bong using tobacco leaf and still cannot inhale. Also very sensitive to steam rooms but not far infrared sauna, high humidity in the air isn’t a big problem unless it’s really foggy.

I recall Carla Reuckert (Ra channel medium) had an issue with high humidity which caused breathing problems, don’t remember which book it was in so I can’t quote what Ra had to say about this but I think it was something along the lines of her having a sensitivity that couldn’t be cured only managed. She was a non smoker, I should probably be a non smoker yet I’m way more tolerant of cigs, I just have to do some breathing exercises that make me cough to massage my lungs deeply everyday or I get very chesty and breathing becomes restricted.

That is absolutely nuts. This is all the more reason to figure out a way to manufacture the stuff oneself.

Glycerine, tobacco and water looks good to me!

Yup, I’m sure they’ll try the same thing with tobacco soon enough.. not to mention the ridiculous price of tobacco here.

If we can figure out how to make this work I’m keen. Might be interesting to try and get the nicotine though, but where there’s a will there’s a way

Thanks for bringing this up. Very possible that restrictions in this direction will spread all over other countries :(

the other option could be snuff / nasal spray using natural ingredients

ive currently got a nasal nicotine dispenser(nicorette) but its a mainstream one with additives - it certainly packs a punch even though the ammount of nicotine is quite low !
not for the feint hearted though! certainly clears the head !!!!

Nicotine spray​

Nicotine nasal spray is aerosolized nicotine contained in a spray pump. The nicotine is delivered to the user by spraying it into the nostrils, and is rapidly absorbed by the nasal membranes inside the nose. The spray device is similar to the type used for over-the-counter decongestant sprays. Because it is rapidly absorbed, the nasal spray delivers the nicotine “hit” much more quickly than other NRTs. This feature makes it attractive to some highly dependent smokers. Do not use for patients with severe reactive airway disease because of the potential to exacerbate bronchospasm.

What about those smokeless cigarettes? The brand is called IQOS. It basically heats a cigarette from the inside and thus vaporizes the nicotine. Seems to do away with the whole issue of the right liquid, but it also requires special cigarettes that I don't think you can DIY.

What about those smokeless cigarettes? The brand is called IQOS. It basically heats a cigarette from the inside and thus vaporizes the nicotine. Seems to do away with the whole issue of the right liquid, but it also requires special cigarettes that I don't think you can DIY.
With the heat-not-burn devices there is exactly the same problem as with most commercial liquids: not satisfying for most smokers.

With the heat-not-burn devices there is exactly the same problem as with most commercial liquids: not satisfying for most smokers.
Yeah, I tried it a few times from friends. It stinks like feet and I didn't find it satisfying at all, but they said you get used to it and they're pretty satisfied with them. I looked a bit more into it and it seems that the tobacco they use for those is still treated with glycerin or something and there are additives to give it some taste.

I always thought vaping was probably more harmful than smoking but if you can make your own liquid and minimize the bad stuff, I would be game to try it out. On the other hand, are there any liquids that you can get that are good out of the box? I would like a tobacco taste instead of those fruity concoctions everyone is vaping.

On the other hand, are there any liquids that you can get that are good out of the box?
Not in Europe, to my knowledge. There may be some (nic salts) in US territories. Unfortunately most will be based on propylene glycol.

I would like a tobacco taste instead of those fruity concoctions everyone is vaping.
This is easy. You can make your own flavour extract. Here is my recipe:

Ingredients for tobacco flavour

- alcohol(rum, vodka, brandy....)
- flavour rich tobaccos, about 10gr/100 ml alcohol (cigar, RYO tobaccos of dark varieties, Kentucky dark fired leaves...)
My personal favourite is a cheap Cuban cigar named José el Piedra.
Just let it sit for a week and filtrate.

Please note: for flavour extracts you can use all tobaccos, including strong ones that you might not want to smoke.

Not in Europe, to my knowledge. There may be some (nic salts) in US territories. Unfortunately most will be based on propylene glycol.

This is easy. You can make your own flavour extract. Here is my recipe:

- flavour rich tobaccos, about 10gr/100 ml alcohol (cigar, RYO tobaccos of dark varieties, Kentucky dark fired leaves...)

Please note: for flavour extracts you can use all tobaccos, including strong ones that you might not want to smoke.
Thanks for the pointers. I like sttong tobacco and I smoke roll ups with thin paper which increases taste and nicotine content, so the more the merrier for me.

How would you make that into a vapeable liquid then?

How to make a DIY liquid

I already posted this in the Smoking is good thread. Here is a copy, just in case you overlooked it:

The ingredients needed will depend from the extraction method.

Ingredients for the final liquid:
- distilled water
- vegetable glycerin(35 - 50%)
- nicotine extract
- flavour (optional, abt. 5 - 8%) s. below

Ingredients for nicotine extraction

1) Steam distillation:
- distilled water
- shredded tobacco leaves

2) Acid/base separation:
- distilled water
- shredded tobacco leaves
- sodium carbonate(5% or 50 gr per 950 ml of water)
- vegetable oil
- vitamin C/ascorbic acid
- baking soda

Procedures of acid/base separation

You can more or less follow the tutorials below:

WTA extraction success...

Been following the thread down in the nic forum for some time now... decided to give it a go in the sort of wholly unscientific, unsafe manner they repeatedly warn against. The result? Great success. As I am totally bereft of any sort of lab...

www.e-cigarette-forum.com
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

Tobacco extraction (WTA for vaping) - let's develop a tek? - Other Psychoactives - Welcome to the DMT-Nexus

If you should do so, please mind the above ingredients and quantities. You will need about 100 gr of tobacco for 100 ml liquid. Most probably you will need to evaporate some excess water before adding the vegetable glycerin.

In the first step the nicotine is removed from the tobacco leaves by the sodium carbonate solution which has a ph value of 11, strong enough to crack the binding forces. In the second step the nicotine is moved into the vegetable oil by adding the oil to the water and shake, rattle and roll it or use a mixer. Discard the water. In the third step the nicotine is removed from the oil by shaking it with a mild solution of water and vitamin C. Finally the slightly acid vitamin C - nicotine solution can be neutralised by adding some baking soda. Only small quantities of vitamin C and baking soda are needed, abt. 1/4 tsp. These two will react and form ascorbate, the salt of vitamin C, which will remain in the liquid.
The nastiest part of the whole procedure, from my experience, is the separation of oil and water. If I would do it again I would at least use 200gr of tobacco to make it worthwhile.

Procedures of distillation

Distillation is the cleanest way of extracting nicotine from tobacco. The only downside is that it needs some equipment. To my knowledge there are two options:

1) Use of a dry herb distiller
The usual suspects like ebay, Aliexpress a.s.o. are selling distillation equipment for any kind of dry herb. They work like pressure cookers. The steam will pass through a basket with tobacco and the nicotine will evaporate through a tube at he top and end up in a jar outside. The outer tubes must be cooled by water in order to prevent evaporation. Something like this:

www.ebay.com

3/5/8/11Gallon Moonshine Still Water Alcohol Distiller Whiskey Spirits Boiler | eBay

Moonshine Still Spirits Kit Water Alcohol Wine Distiller Features. Ensure that the temperature is accurate when distilled. Boiler Barrel Size: 13.7"DIA x 13.7"H(8 Gal) / 1pcs Boiler Barrel Size: 11.8"DIA x 11.8"H(5 Gal).

www.ebay.com

2) Pressure cooker
These can work as well if the tobacco is put in the basket above the water but with less efficiency. The nicotine will end up in the water and will be very diluted. Then the excess water has to be evaporated at moderate temperature. A smarter solution would be to process a larger quantity of tobacco, divide it in several smaller portions and cook it up in steps, thus increasing the concentration of the nicotine in water.

Finally, the roughest of all methods of nicotine extraction
In tobacco leaves nicotine is bound to malic acid. Hence the above acid/base method. But it is also water soluble and pouring hot water over tobacco will dissolve a substantial part of the nicotine. This will end up as a muddy brown liquid. Many years ago farmers would use it for plant protection.

Back
Top Bottom