E-cigarettes: research - experiments - ideas

Just a thought, and it could be off, but could you use essential oils to flavour the vape? Might be able to get extra benefits from food grade oils, like peppermint etc
A similar thought occurred to me, but then I started to wonder if essential oils, being oils of non-animal origin, would degrade and release harmful substances when heated up the way PUFAs do? I can't find any information on that, and essential oils are in fact used for inhalation, so maybe I'm off here.

EDIT: I just noticed that broken.english and Alana posted about similar concerns above.

Last edited:
I have another question regarding the ratios in the juice.

I've found 99.99 pure nicotine diluted in VG. The lowest nicotine concentration you can get is 36mg/ml which is pretty high. So I figured I probably have to dilute that in VG even more before combining it with distilled water for the final vaping juice, but I couldn't figure the proportions exactly.

I found an online calculator for e-liquids and I just wanted to check if what it says seems OK for those who understand these things a bit better.

This is the calculator: New recipe :: e-Liquid Calculator

Here's what I get for a 10mg/ml nicotine concentration for the final product, considering a 60ml bottle:

1720550216464.png

Does that look good enough? :-)

That's quite a learning curve to start vaping, which I am really interested to do. So thanks for all the input.

As for a start, I want to buy 99% nicotine VG. I checked for European online shops, and the only one I found, only sells to other vendors.

Does any of you know of the European regulations regarding 99% nicotine?

Are there European online shops for normal customers? If not, how to order?

I have a question. How do you re-fill the pods? I guess that if you have a used e-liquid bottle that you bought before, you can use that, and I also saw that you can buy the e-liquid bottles on Amazon, but I was wondering whether it is possible to use just a regular dropper or syringe perhaps, or if it must be a bottle with the specific dropper top that fits the pods.

We reuse bottles (I had saved them all because I'm a packrat, LOL!). The open quite easily. I guess it depends on what kind of device you have. In ours, the hole is pretty small, so the old bottles have the right type of nozzle. Otherwise, it might be harder. But I don't see why it wouldn't work with a syringe, as long as the tip fits into your device to avoid spilling. Or, by adding a needle.

I have another question regarding the ratios in the juice.

I've found 99.99 pure nicotine diluted in VG. The lowest nicotine concentration you can get is 36mg/ml which is pretty high. So I figured I probably have to dilute that in VG even more before combining it with distilled water for the final vaping juice, but I couldn't figure the proportions exactly.

I found an online calculator for e-liquids and I just wanted to check if what it says seems OK for those who understand these things a bit better.

This is the calculator: New recipe :: e-Liquid Calculator

Here's what I get for a 10mg/ml nicotine concentration for the final product, considering a 60ml bottle:

View attachment 97928

Yes.

View attachment 97928

That looks good to me! We were doing 70/30 PG/VG solution at 6mg/mL. In addition to the 70% propylene glycol being evil, the nicotine dose was too little...

So then we switched to Elliot's 50/50 (PG/VG) mixture, which is 9mg/mL (technically, 8.88, but close enough). That was much nicer...

Now since we live in wonderful Europe, the largest bottle of glycerin with nicotine that you can buy is 10mL, 20mg/mL, for 1€ a piece.

Now we can take a spare empty 70mL bottle (which used to contain 50mL of commercial e-liquid with extra space for the nicotine "boosters/shoots") and add in 3 x 10mL nicoshoots. Then we add 30mL of distilled water. That gives us 60mL, 50% water, 50% VG, and the nicotine is 3 x 10mL x 20mg/mL = 600mg of nicotine. Dividing that, we end up with 600mg nicotine / 60mL = 10mg/mL!

It's a good amount of nicotine, and super-easy to mix. And the best part is that to make that 60mL bottle which will last 2 of us quite awhile, it costs 3€. 🤑

If you do 60/40 (H2O / VG) for example, that's all well and good becuz you have more water, but the nicotine strength drops as you add more water... So then you have to get creative with your mixing.

As for a start, I want to buy 99% nicotine VG. I checked for European online shops, and the only one I found, only sells to other vendors.

Does any of you know of the European regulations regarding 99% nicotine?
The closest thing you can get in Europe is a nicotine shot of 10 ml, pure vg and 20 mg nicotine.
Brand: Liquideo
Shop: Liquideo Nikotin Booster 100VG
Producer is in France.

Now we can take a spare empty 70mL bottle (which used to contain 50mL of commercial e-liquid with extra space for the nicotine "boosters/shoots") and add in 3 x 10mL nicoshoots. Then we add 30mL of distilled water. That gives us 60mL, 50% water, 50% VG, and the nicotine is 3 x 10mL x 20mg/mL = 600mg of nicotine. Dividing that, we end up with 600mg nicotine / 60mL = 10mg/mL!
I’m sorry, but this was me while reading this at the beggining:

1720565384661.gif

:lol:
So, the final desired amount is 600 mg of nicotine per every 60 ml and the rest is filled with distiller water or distilled water is included? I apologize for my poor knowledge on this.

the final desired amount is 600 mg of nicotine per every 60 ml and the rest is filled with distiller water or distilled water is included? I apologize for my poor knowledge on this.
I think the "desired" amount is whatever you wish to have, depending on your personal preference and smoking habits.
This type of math is relatively easy for me from Chemistry 101, so I'll try to break it down for you to understand it better.

They bought glycerin infused with nicotine:
Total volume of liquid glycerin for 1 bottle = 10ml
Concentration of this liquid is 20mg/ml which means there is 20mg of nicotine per each 1ml of glycerin.
Total amount of nicotine for 1 bottle of 10ml : 20mg x 10ml = 200mg

They can use up to 3 of those bottles in their "refill":
Volume = 3x 10ml = 30 ml
Concentration = 3x 200mg = 600 mg
They then add 30ml of distilled water: 30ml glycerine + 30ml distilled water = 60ml dilution

Now, to calculate the new nicotine concentration from that dilution, you will divide 600mg (total concentration) by 60ml (total volume).
That is how you get to know the new concentration of 10mg/ml of this final solution.

Does this help?

I got a disposable vape, it’s my first time using one, and I just wanted to get a feel for the nicotine level. I like the strength but it says 50mg 5% whatever that means. I wasn’t able to find a concrete answer.

How many mg would 5% nicotine translate to?

I found this on google but doesn’t really say how many mg

Compared to traditional cigarettes, 5% nicotine is generally considered to be on the higher end. A regular cigarette contains around 12mg of nicotine, while a light cigarette may have around 6mg. Therefore, a 5% nicotine vape would contain significantly more nicotine than a single cigarette

I smoke cigars one or twice a week (no cigarettes), so I searched for nicotine in cigars and wow. Seems too high on the nicotine.

Although nicotine amounts can vary from product to product, a typical cigar, on average, can contain between 100 to 200 milligrams of nicotine or more

Last edited:
haha just an update to our "world first" ban on vaping

"From July 1 only people with a prescription can buy vapes from pharmacies in an effort to curb skyrocketing vaping rates among Australians, especially young people.

But it was announced this week that the policy would be tweaked from October to allow adults to buy vapes without a doctor’s note – after a deal was struck with the Greens." but only from pharmacies, and the pharmacies are not happy :umm::cool2::whistle:

yup we live in clown world, not sure how any of us down under will be able to make our own as getting hold of nicotine looks extremely difficult :( will have to see after October

I did, thank you so much! I got the 120 ml bottle concentration 48 mg UPS nicotine with (VG) glycerin.
This means you have 48mg/ml. If you would like to end up with 10mg/ml like Scottie, here is the calculation:
(I asked chat GPT because it was faster than writing it myself)

To dilute a solution from 48 mg/ml to 10 mg/ml, you need to add a specific amount of water to achieve the desired concentration. Here’s the process:
  1. Determine the volume of the original solution (let's call it V1).
  2. Calculate the new total volume (V2) needed to achieve the 10 mg/ml concentration.
  3. Subtract the original volume from the new total volume to find out how much water to add.
The formula to use is: C1×V1 = C2×V2

Where:
  • C1 = Initial concentration (48 mg/ml)
  • V1 = Initial volume (ml)
  • C2 = Final concentration (10 mg/ml)
  • V2 = Final volume (ml)
Rearranging the formula to find V2:
V2 = C1 × V1 / C2

Assuming we start with 1 ml of the 48 mg/ml solution:
V1 = 1ml
V2 = 48 × 1 / 10 = 4.8 ml

This means the final volume needed is 4.8 ml.

To find out how much water to add:
Volume of water to add = V2 − V1
Volume of water to add = 4.8 ml − 1 ml = 3.8 ml

So, you need to add 3.8 ml of water to 1 ml of the 48 mg/ml solution to get a final concentration of 10 mg/ml.

How many mg would 5% nicotine translate to?
5% nicotine means there are 5 grams of nicotine per 100 ml of solution.
To convert this percentage to mg/ml, you multiply by 10 (since 1 gram = 1000 milligrams).
Thus, 5% nicotine is equivalent to 50 mg/ml.
You can use the above formula to calculate your dilution.
If you want a 10mg/ml concentration, you would add 4ml of water to 1ml of your initial solution.

Now, thinking about this, and I might get the award of creativity taken away from 987baz Lol
But if we are inhaling nicotine through these gadgets, can’t they be use to inhale other type of supplements such as iodine for example or things that we need that would be safer to take that way?

Back
Top Bottom