Earthquakes around the world

It woke me up. Bed and shelves were shaking. I'm about 60 km away. Epicenter is near Zagreb
6:37 I woke up in a earthquake like I didnt ever before ( I remember one from 20 years ago but this one was longer lasting)...
Lost el.power for half an hour and there was and aftershock about 40 minutes after. Got electricity back and it seems like snow has started (it was in the forecast).

The house lost some stuff from the facade ... ev.else seems fine!!

No fear EYES OPEN :thup:

Last edited:
Quite a punch. We were all still in beds. Nasty one. We are all ok. Few cracks on the walls. Things from shelves knocked down. No casulties so far. Historic city center with older buildings suffered more damage. Chimneys and roof tiles are damaged on older houses in my neighborhood. Epicenter was very close. Will keep you posted.

According to the head of the seismological service, the quake was 5.5 per Richter. This is the strongest earthquake in Zagreb in the last 140 years.

A strong 5.3 magnitude earthquake struck Zagreb this morning, followed by another 5.0 magnitude later. A third earthquake soon followed.

There are numerous damage to buildings. we urge all citizens to exercise caution.

"A loud rumble was heard, as if 100 diesel trains were passing. The house was shaking"

It has been relatively quiet on the earthquake front this last week. The numbers for the expanded North American map area are:
2 out of 60 earthquakes worldwide equal or greater to 4.5
1755 out of 2349 of all earthquakes
Percentage: 74.7%

Things are looking different this week as there is quite an uptick.
7 out of 83 earthquakes worldwide equal or greater to 4.5. This is more than it has been for a while.
2135 out of 2727 of all earthquakes.
Percentage: 78.3%
Both numbers are quite a bit more than it has been for months. Question is whether we are starting to see a cosmic reaction to the massive lock down and the stifling of creative energy???

Here is the map:
Earthquakes 7 days to March 22th 2020.gif

Last edited:
Just finished helping my first neighbour to close his damaged roof for tonight. All city services plus Army units are engaged in clearing debris around the town. Hospitals are mostly in older buildings so there are some significant damage there. Numerous aftershocks. You can imagine, counting in Covid-19 situation, that things are looking quite confusing and scary for inhabitants. Talking about containing creative energy? Well, enough for me for the next few days!

These are pictures from the center of Zagreb. The top of the cathedral is broken.

Regulattor, Casper, Mari, Istina and Agron, Thanks for checking in - so we know how you and your Families are doing! Photos show a lot of structural damage to buildings.

Powerful quake kills one child in Croatia's capital: health official
People walk as the cathedral of Zagreb is seen damaged following an earthquake, in Zagreb, Croatia March 22, 2020. REUTERS/Antonio Bronic
A large earthquake which struck north of the Croatian capital Zagreb on Sunday killed a 15-year-old child, health officials have said.

“An ambulance team took to the field and found under a collapsed building a child who no longer showed signs of life, said Zarko Rasic, the head of the Zagreb Emergency Medicine Institute.

The quake struck north of Zagreb on Sunday, GFZ German Research Center for Geosciences said, damaging buildings, sending many people into the streets, burying vehicles in rubble and causing several fires.

Quake hits Zagreb, PM appeals for social distancing as residents rush onto streets
Croatia's Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic walks at an area affected by an earthquake in Zagreb, Croatia March 22, 2020. REUTERS/Antonio Bronic
A large earthquake struck near the Croatian capital Zagreb on Sunday, leaving a teenager critically injured after an apartment building in the city collapsed, the GFZ German Research Center for Geosciences and a hospital official said.

ZAGREB – A large earthquake struck near the Croatian capital Zagreb on Sunday, leaving a teenager critically injured after an apartment building in the city collapsed, the GFZ German Research Center for Geosciences and a hospital official said.

Quake hits Zagreb, PM appeals for social distancing as residents rush onto streets
A woman walks past debris on a street following an earthquake, in Zagreb, Croatia March 22, 2020. (REUTERS/Antonio Bronic/MANILA BULLETIN)

A woman walks past debris on a street following an earthquake, in Zagreb, Croatia March 22, 2020. (Antonio Bronic/MANILA BULLETIN)

Another minor was badly injured and the quake caused several fires and power blackouts in parts of the capital, hospital and emergency services said.

Zarko Rasic, head of the Zagreb Emergency Medicine Institute, a children’s hospital, said a 15-year-old was in a critical condition after being found by an emergency services team under a collapsed building and another minor had been admitted with head injuries from a falling roof. He did not give further details on the persons’ identities.

GFZ downgraded the magnitude of the quake from an initial reading of 6.0.

“It lasted over 10 seconds. By far the strongest I have ever felt,” one witness said, adding that it was followed by several aftershocks.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake measured 5.4, while the European Mediterranean Seismological Centre (EMSC) also reported 5.3 magnitude, followed by another 5.1 magnitude earthquake.

Good to hear from all of you in Croatia. I hope you don't have to deal with much damage, on top of everything else. :hug2:

There was an earthquake 2 days ago in the Eastern part of Greece, below Albania, that caused a lot of damages but no fatalities, thankfully.

data=ohgORGg7PXJkCnhzggTMTN2wxt3jninGkVQc7as98U5honVt0eb4Byu6AF1fy7ZmH_v9wmhXzTIwxsMqn-SZ6GoI3rYd_bQHaKWGa6TT5nZJIImwcpCizUV_m0LnLrY-SFcpqke3mbapny1_1SrIR7Pv6G5OX79HB2UEr-4buPgRA9ur4dPGizG42d079037Gm6yizwkfEqRICcMlq53sVYeJk2vQJN8zQk

It was posted by sToRmR1dR at the time:

I think it's interesting that both earthquakes are on that side of the Balkan peninsula, following a line in a way, and were about the same Richter scale.

Regulattor, Casper, Mari, Istina and Agron, Thanks for checking in - so we know how you and your Families are doing!
angelburst29 :flowers: for worrying! :-)

I currently live in Bonn, but all our family and frends are in Croatia, some 50km North-East from Zagreb. They felt it too but not so much as in capital. There is no structural damage in my small hometown.

Zagreb was hit hard; my friend´s husband is member of civil protection and was mobilised together with the army; they all clean the city, help hospitals, preparing meals for people that lost homes,....

Here are the news with videos from Zagreb:
A massive 5.5 magnitude earthquake hit Zagreb this morning at 6.24 am, followed by another magnitude 5.0 shortly after. It was soon followed by a third earthquake of 3.7 according to Richter.

The epicenter was 16 kilometers north of Zagreb and five kilometers southeast of Oroslavje at a depth of 10 kilometers, the European Mediterranean Seismological Center reported.

Students will move from the Student Center "Cvjetno naselje" to the Student Center "Stjepan Radić" to provide accommodation for people affected by the earthquake.

Seismographer Ines Ivancic urged citizens on Sunday afternoon not to panic in the event of a new earthquake, and reiterated that it could not be predicted whether there would be new earthquakes and how strong they would be.

Ivancic confirmed that as of Sunday morning, when Zagreb was hit by two strong earthquakes, there were about 30 subsequent ones, some of which we did not feel.

It is a common occurrence that can take days but also weeks, Ivancic said after a session of the National Civil Protection Headquarters.

She reiterated that seismographs could not say whether there would be new earthquakes and how strong they would be, or whether they would be stronger than the magnitude magnitudes of 5.5 and 5 on the Richter scale.

Back
Top Bottom