Earthquakes around the world

Chile report 9:42 pm.

OK all this is weird. I live on the coast in the central zone of Chile.

Official story is a 7.1 quake happened near the Chile base in Antartica. The national alert system instead of alerting only the far south alerted the entire country to evacuate from the coast. The "erroneous" message was broadcast on all Chile phones capable of receiving the alert. In addition, this error said the evacuation alert was because of COVID...???

A couple of minutes after this confusing message, a strong quake occurred far away from Antarctica in central Chile (actually near Mendoza, Argentina). I too feel it was stronger than 5.5.

The coastal areas are in chaos because of distrust of what happened in 2010 and the Antarctic base has indeed been evacuated. There is a Russian base next door so I'm sure we will get reporting from that end as well.

Detalles de los terremotos mencionados anteriormente según el USGS: tenga en cuenta que algunos medios afirman que se ha emitido una alerta de tsunami para Chile:
Indeed there was a tsunami alert, due to the 7-degree earthquake in Antarctica, but within minutes they dismissed it, since according to them there was an "error" in this alert.

The funniest thing about this is that being here in the middle of summer ("summer covid" rather said), on the beaches, the coast guards began to make the evacuation call with megaphones, the people who were on the beaches came out terrified, and in some Restaurants (open-air of course due to the Covid) run away without paying their consumption.

As if the ridiculous were not enough, the "evacuation message" that reached people in coastal areas on their cell phones was:

"Emergency alert, Onemi (National Emergency Office) establishes to leave beach area. Stay away due to Covid-19" :lol::lol:

To finish off the whole show, the media reported that how it was possible that people flee the beaches without masks :lol2:

Last week saw according to USGS, 2 M6 earthquakes with the highest being a M6.7 in Mongolia.
In the usual area, there were 3 out of 111 earthquakes equal to or greater than 4.5 and 1566 out of 2002 earthquakes of all sizes.
Percentage: 78.2%
Last week provided 1 M7 (7.0 in the Philippines) and 2 M6 earthquakes (6.9 in South Shetland Islands and a M6.4 in Argentina).
In the usual mamp area, there was just 1 out of 99 earthquakes equal to or greater than 4.5 and 1592 out of 1986 quakes of all sizes.
Percentage: 80.2%
Earthquakes 7 days to Jan 24th 2021.gif

The number of earthquakes in such a short time is credible ... thanks for this valuable information ... greetings .

I was asleep in bed, trying to catch up to prevent myself from getting ill, when there was a large earthquake in the Gulf of Alaska (GA), offshore of Kodiak, Alaska. When I wakened, I noticed a fb message from my friend Scott Willits notifying me of an M 8.2 earthquake in Alaska, posted at 2:20 AM local time. I immediately got up to check on this and was surprised that there was not a tsunami evacuation going on. I live in the small town of Manila (population ~700), on the North Spit (a sand spit west of Arcata and Eureka, CA). I live above 10 m in elevation and do not consider myself exposed to tsunami risks, local or distant (especially given that (1) the CSZ locked zone is mostly under land here and (2) that the part of the locked zone that is not under land is in shallow water; so our local tsunami will probably be much smaller than further north, like Crescent City or Brookings). I have been involved in tsunami education and outreach for over 15 years and prepared the first tsunami hazard map for northern CA (working with Dr. Lori Dengler and the Redwood Coast Tsunami Work Group). Needless to say, I am cogent and aware about the tsunami risk here in norcal.

SO. I soon discovered that the GA earthquake happened in the Pacific plate, far from the subduction zone and that the earthquake was a strike-slip earthquake. Both of these facts explained why the sheriff had not been at my door earlier this morning. In addition, the magnitude had been adjusted to M 7.9 (no longer a Great earthquake, just a Large earthquake; earthquake classes are defined here). However, there were some small tsunami waves observed (see below) as reported by the National Tsunami Warning Center (see social media below).

This earthquake appears to be located along a reactivated fracture zone in the GA. There have only been a couple earthquakes in this region in the past century, one an M 6.0 to the east (though this M 6.0 was a thrust earthquake). The Gulf of Alaska shear zone is even further to the east and has a more active historic fault history (a pair of earthquakes in 1987-1988). The magnetic anomalies (formed when the Earth’s magnetic polarity flips) reflect a ~north-south oriented spreading ridge (the anomalies are oriented north-south in the region of today’s earthquake). There is a right-lateral offset of these magnetic anomalies located near the M 7.9 epicenter. Interesting that this right-lateral strike-slip fault (?) is also located at the intersection of the Gulf of Alaska shear zone and the 1988 M 7.8 earthquake (probably just a coincidence?). However, the 1988 M 7.8 earthquake fault plane solution can be interpreted for both fault planes (it is probably on the GA shear zone, but I don’t think that we can really tell).

This is strange because the USGS fault plane is oriented east-west, leading us to interpret the fault plane solution (moment tensor or focal mechanism) as a left-lateral strike-slip earthquake. So, maybe this earthquake is a little more complicated than first presumed. The USGS fault model is constrained by seismic waves, so this is probably the correct fault (east-west).

I prepared an Earthquake Report for the 1964 Good Friday Earthquake here

More "medium" ones in Croatia

Yesterday, 3,5 at 16:54h

"Večernji list" journalist Danijel Prerad reported that the earthquake was short, but quite strong.

"This one was pretty strong, first an explosion, then a shake, the whole house shook like a grenade fired,"
"After a long time, it hit harder. It shook us nicely,"
"Short, strong, soundly shook the apartment,"
"It shook well. Again, first the rumble and then the shaking of the house," people write on the EMSC website about the new earthquake.

Today, 3,4 at 01:37h

“It shook us strongly, it woke us up,”
“The container rocked us, I have a feeling it’s about 3.5,”
“2-3 seconds, pretty strong,” are some of the testimonies of residents living near the epicenter.

According to the EMSC, the night after the quake was followed by two weaker tremors with epicenters near Glina, one magnitude 1.9 and the other magnitude 2.9.

From the USGS notifications I get by email, it seems to me that there is something of a serious uptick in earthquakes even if some of them are not so strong. They are strong enough to be registered and for me to get the emails! And they seem to be all over the place.

List of earthquakes in last 12h in Euro-Mediterranean region only!

1611575588797.png

And if one filters Worldwide, you get 5 pages of earthquakes in last 24h!!!

On the site of Citizen Seismology by EMSC they mention
If citizens are informed and involved in the seismic field, they will be more vigilant and keen to take pictures, movies, write testimonies, in a word, be active witnesses. [...] A video available on Youtube explains all of the EMSC activities related to the Citizen Seismology.
The video above is from 2009, but is still relevant. In particular, it explains why local observations are helpful, since they have the possibility to report on the extent of the possible damage earlier than the instruments they claim to use. In addition, the nearness of those experiencing an earthquake allows the spectators to capture images and other data, that are almost impossible to collect for a seismologist not in the area at the time of the event.

More quakes in the Malaga region of Spain following the M4.4 on Saturday, and the 10 other small quakes since Wednesday (as per Zak's post).

Note that only one of these was showing on the USGS page when i checked. EMSC reports there have been 3 M4's within 30 minutes of each other:

26/01/2021

M4.0 - Malaga @ 21:36
M4.2 - Malaga @ 21:44
M4.3 - Malaga @ 21:56

M3.0 - Malaga @ 22:18 (there have since been at least 2 more M3's)

Two comments from the M4.3:

"Felt a lot stronger than the previous two we experienced this evening"
"This one had more movement than the other 2. Only lasted for a few seconds."

Map of one of the quakes for an idea of location:

1611699896648.png
Added: Videos from Twitter:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom