Elon Musk: Tech Genius! Green Warrior! Biz King! Good Oligarch?

Interesting yet also very creepy, especially when considering that the dark side has a strong tendency to subvert any technology which then is used against humanity...
Or, it was developed for nefarious purposes, but a good spin has been put on it for the general public to think what a great idea it is.

Ah. Elon Musk. What to say. Since I have worked for a competitor electric car manufacturer in early days of the industry, say 6 to 7 yrs ago, I know full well whats he on about. He has a half cooked product which he sells like its fully finished. Sorry, that doesnt sit good with me. To me, Musk is an antithesis of Japanese - he is fast, sometimes irrational or at least appears so, cutting edge tech but reliability, oh the reliability...

The same reason I love japanese cars is why I dislike Teslas - japanese almost always perfect anything they make to the point it works mostly perfect in most situations, and Tesla is a far far cry from it.

I can unlock, sit in my japanese diesel saloon any day, pretty much any conditions, start it up and be sure its gonna start right up in ANY conditions, I can be sure its firmly planted on the road and wont run away on me, I can be sure its just gonna outright work!

Tesla? Yea, you got me lauhging hard there...

Musk fry's on the hot seat over the Solar City acquisition and accusations of fraud.
Plus, other related sociopath activity's.

Ah, to see the world through the eyes of a Tesla shareholder.

We're not sure what the daily adoration and worship of Elon Musk entails for Tesla cultists, but we're almost certain that the rose-colored glasses that most shareholders wear constantly provide optimistic pie-in-the-sky explanations for all things Tesla, round the clock.

Stock going down? Too many naked shorts.

We're not sure what the daily adoration and worship of Elon Musk entails for Tesla cultists, but we're almost certain that the rose-colored glasses that most shareholders wear constantly provide optimistic pie-in-the-sky explanations for all things Tesla, round the clock.

Stock going down? Too many naked shorts.

Elon being sued by the SEC? Big oil conspiracy to kill electric vehicles.

And now, with Long Range Model 3 delivery times being pushed back to 10-16 weeks, the only explanation must be a surge in demand. Right?

That was certainly the take of Joey Klender over at Teslarati, an unapologetically pro-Tesla blog. Klender wrote a piece yesterday noting that Tesla's online design studio showed that deliveries were slated to be 10 to 16 weeks away for the Model 3 Long Range All-Wheel-Drive version.

Klender then takes some liberties and immediately attributes the pushback in delivery time - in one of the three configurations listed - to demand "continuing to skyrocket":

According to Tesla’s online Design Studio, demand for the all-electric sedan’s Long Range All-Wheel-Drive variant continues to skyrocket, and new order delivery dates are being prolonged to dates as late as November. Currently, expected delivery is slated at between 10-16 weeks for the Model 3 configuration. Demand for the vehicle is still rising, just in time for the company to open a new production plant in Texas that will assist consumers’ ever-growing want for the car.
When comparing the Model 3 to the Model Y, he later states:

The demand for the Model 3 has evidently surpassed that of its automotive sibling, with delivery dates for the Model 3 extending into mid-November.
"It is interesting to note that the Model 3 Long Range is not the least expensive variant of the all-electric sedan. However, this has not stopped the car from having the most prolonged delivery date," Klender, attempting some form of analysis, writes.

And he's right. It is interesting. We did about 9 seconds worth of "research" on the issue by going to Tesla's design studio and promptly noted that the "Performance" version of the Model 3 - one notch higher than the version Klender is pointing out, ships in 7-11 weeks.

Similarly, the Standard Range model also ships between 7-13 weeks.

Now we're not claiming that Klender is wrong in his analysis - just that its odd that his take on the situation is there's a demand surge for the Model 3 that's, for some reason, only showing up in one of the model's configurations.

However, given that the "Long Range" Model 3 likely contains parts that the other two models don't - and given the fact that there has been massive supply chain interruptions globally for the auto market over the last 12 months, including ones that Tesla has admitted have affected its production - we can't help but wonder why the straight line was immediately drawn to there being a demand surge, when that information can't be ascertained simply by looking at Tesla's design studio?

Could it have something to do with this disclosure?

Did Klender consider the idea of supply chain disruption? Is demand actually surging? We'll have to wait and find out.

Until then, keep your eyes peeled on Teslarati and other pro-Tesla blogs for the narrative they'd like you to believe...even in the absence of direct evidence.

The same reason I love japanese cars is why I dislike Teslas - japanese almost always perfect anything they make to the point it works mostly perfect in most situations, and Tesla is a far far cry from it...

I agree as my 2008 Prius has been a champ being the best quality year (of all the one's made to date), IMHO.

With just barley cracking 100 thousand miles, it runs sound and solid.

I even use like pick up hauling everything one can imagine with a wheel base of 106.3 inches long.

Add today's fuel price's and it's still a good vehicle (at 21 years), with few bells and whistles.

Outstanding fuel economy, low emissions, generous amount of interior space, easy to maneuver in tight spaces, space-age interior design, a lower price for 2008. Less powerful and agile than other midsize sedans, a few disappointing interior plastics. 😵

Jul. 16, 2021 7:36 PM ETTesla, Inc. (TSLA) BY DDFBYDDY 570 Comments

Summary

• Tesla has performed a virtuoso act of posting profits over the last three years, despite new assembly plants that commenced with lower utilisation.
  • A major buffer has been the booking of regulatory credits; carrying a 100% margin, they’ve been instrumental in the profits stream.
  • The article details their diminishing prospects, showing the reduced need for other OEMs to purchase Tesla’s. Consequence: earnings in the next two quarters may well disappoint.
  • Tesla is no longer the only EV in any town. The article argues Tesla’s halo is susceptible to burnout due to wider EV choices and frequent burning batteries.
  • The time is nigh for a more terrestrial valuation, catalysed either by an earnings miss or a public safety intervention. Or both. Sell Tesla.

"The article argues Tesla’s halo is susceptible to burnout due to wider EV choices and frequent burning batteries."

I debate the use of the adjective "frequent". Also, other EV vehicles don't have their batteries catch on fire because they don't exist. Once you have millions of EVs on the road, you will see that the problems with LiIon battery chemistry is independent of manufacturer. Tesla has more problems with battery fires than other manufacturers because their install base is very much larger.

Edit.
Don't compare the issues with "burning batteries" against itself. Compare the number of car fires involving Tesla vehicles against gasoline vehicles. You will find that it is something like 10x lower than gasoline vehicles. The incidence of traffic accidents with highway "self driving" is something like one third the incidence of traffic accidents of human control. You unfortunately need to analyze all of the data.
end Edit.

As far as self-driving software, other companies are rushing their products to market as well. Do they have an install base with billions of user miles? No. Will they have the infrastructure for AI enhancement that Tesla has? It remains to be seen. Tesla's AI "learns" from the whole fleet. Will the new Ford F150 have the same up/down the wire infrastructure?

The mainstream automobile manufacturers do not understand the concept of a software driven vehicle. Once their vehicle leaves the factory, they are pretty much done with it. Tesla has designed in software updates from the beginning. The car is constantly implementing bug fixes and feature enhancements, and this occurs "automatically". I have owned many mainstream cars. The mainstream auto industry simply does not grasp the concept of upgrades. Their idea of an "upgrade" is to trade in your car for the new model every year.

One shorts TSLA at one's risk.

Last edited:
Here Japanese astronaut Soichi Noguchi proudly displays his SpaceX onesie while aboard the ISS. When I saw the thumbnail I thought I might see the suit in action in a real space environment! Disappointed again!

The zippers. They're an important part of the suit, there's 3 of them, 2 wrist and one large inner leg one that runs from ankle to ankle via the crotch. Cannot find any technical information on them except for what you find on space nerd fora and at best they can only speculate. Here's a close up of a wrist zipper, it's a departure from the metal wrist cuff and gauntlet style used since Gargarin. Would love more details but it looks less robust than a zipper from a fully encapsulated hazmat suit. I've used these suits, the zippers are great but still leak, which is not a problem as the internal pressure keeps any nasty stuff out and their are abundant resources standing by in case of failure, not so in space. The crotch zipper, this unit allows entry of the occupant and it has a lot on it's plate!
1627069751396.png1627071790445.png
Not only is long, unlike the zippers on the wrists hazmat suits and earlier space suits this one has to deal with 6 moving joints. Pressure suit joints are a complex affair, they're necessary for movement, without them the occupant's arms and legs would fly out in all directions and movement would be all but impossible, here's how the Russians do it with their zipperless Sokol or Falcon suit.
The suit is worn during launch and re-entry of the Soyuz spacecraft. In an emergency, the suit pressure is usually maintained at (0.39 atm, 5.8 psi) above the ambient by the pressure relief valve. However, the suits only have a rudimentary pressure relief layer so they tend to balloon when inflated. Movement of the wearer becomes restricted, although it is still possible to function inside the capsule. If more than limited movement is required, the pressure relief valve may be adjusted to a lower setting of (0.26 atm, 3.9 psi). Pure oxygen at this pressure will support life, but the setting is only intended for use in extreme emergencies;[10] the risk of decompression sickness becomes significant if the wearer spends more than 15 minutes at the lower pressure setting.[11]
Wow! Can't find the operating pressure of the Musk onesie but but the Dragon vehicle operates at 3.3 to 14.7 psi. I cannot see that single zipper running along 6 joints even handling the lowest Sokol suit pressure. The lack of knee, shoulder and elbow joints would mean that your legs and arms would fly out in the event of a catastrophic decompression. Here's how the Russians do it, bundled up and strapped in, compare it to the Dragon crew in their spacious vehicle, no leg or arm restraints.
1627076380459.png1627076619182.png1627080429749.png
The communication and life support connection, once again it looks flimsy and not fit for purpose. Compared to the breathing gear I wear with it's robust collet, screw and bayonet attachments like the Sokol suits. The electrical connection too, looks as robust as a USB!
1627077687162.png1627078005628.png1627079646415.png
You never see Soichi Noguchi suit up either, surely such a suit would be a doddle to don but its edited out. He then could've proceeded to the air lock, connected his glorified USB then depressurized to a hard vacuum! That would be a sight to see! Would be nice to see ANY video of ANY spacesuit being vacuum tested.

Just found a short Russian article on the Musk onesie, they're somewhat skeptical too!

Alright, time for some light relief! Can't find this video on the Toob, I wonder why?! 🤣 :lol:

Flashback:
Follow the money, (by flashing back to 2018 via 17 Tweets),
A review an excellent but long interview incriminating the Musk legacy and it's CEO's of having been infiltrated by nefarious elements.

Remember, Panasonic pulled the plug on the Tesla merger (in 2021), which was a big Red flag, IMHO.

Karl Hansen, a former member of Tesla’s internal security department and its investigations division, joins ex-Gigafactory technician Martin Tripp as the second Tesla employee seeking whistleblower status with the SEC. But Hansen’s offering up claims that go far beyond the alleged manufacturing issues highlighted by Tripp.

“I hope that shining a light on Tesla’s practices will cause appropriate governmental action against the company and its management,” Hansen said in a statement.

And Insight of the current space race.

On 23 July 2021 NASAWatch and SpaceRef editor Keith Cowing spoke to BBC Five Live about the new FAA Astronaut Wings regulations and who does - and does not - get them.

Last edited:
Also, the good piece of news might be the recent exclamation of Musk about the Starlink satellites. According to his words, these satellites will have self-disposal function. Long story short, Starlink satellites will be able to lead themself to the atmosphere of Earth in order to burn there and not to become dead satellites and not to increase the number of space junk.

Hi peter88. We encourage all new forum members to give a bit of introduction in the Newbies board. It doesn't have to be anything personal; just a bit about how you found the forum, if you've read any of Laura Knight-Jadzyck's books or articles, etc.

If you don't know what to write, you can look at some of the other threads on that board to see how others have done it. :-)

Also, the good piece of news might be the recent exclamation of Musk about the Starlink satellites. According to his words, these satellites will have self-disposal function. Long story short, Starlink satellites will be able to lead themself to the atmosphere of Earth in order to burn there and not to become dead satellites and not to increase the number of space junk.

Stockholm syndrome

I don't know where exactly to put this, but space ships and androids do go together so...

The Terminators are coming.

At this point, I'm rather hoping the boffins never crack the battery problem.

I don't know where exactly to put this, but space ships and androids do go together so...

The Terminators are coming.

At this point, I'm rather hoping the boffins never crack the battery problem.

Alexa goes iRobot (movie) and Terminator (indeed Woodsman) = match in 'heaven' ? And/or bread, games and money grab.

It's sad. It's funny. It's strange. It's just all so over the top... pitiful.

Exciting times.

Spacex is about to do a 100 percent civilian orbital launch with 4 people who are 100 percent civilian and NO actual astronauts aboard​

The one Virgin did does not count as far as I am concerned, Spacex will send these people out farther than the Hubble or space station where they will actually orbit the earth for a few days.

AI is going to handle the flight. I do not know if the passengers can control anything.

spacex.png

Space X's current report of ecological damage and human suffering at the Boca Raton, Florida launch site. Adding grievous misconduct at every Tesla operation under his domain.

The FAA sent out the call on September 17, 2021 for public input regarding their draft environmental assessment - we are going to provide you with some history and context so you can add your name to the list of concerned citizens who have had enough of Musk destroying everything he touches. This episode is supporting Defenders of Wildlife: defenders.org @defendersofwildlife

SpaceX Starship Orbital Flight Launch PUSHED BACK Due to FAA Reviews
Sep 28, 2021
SpaceX Starship Orbital Flight Launch PUSHED BACK Due to FAA Reviews We will talk about a worrying update where starship orbital flight has chances of being delayed to 2022. So, why was such a decision made? Who is behind it, and what did Elon Musk say as far as the matter is concerned

September 27, 2021, 3:23pm Opening snip of a lengthy monologue:
On September 14, YouTuber Galileo Russell posted a video titled "Tesla FSD V10 Monorail Test 5X 🚝 👀."

During the video, Russell set his Tesla running Full Self-Driving Beta—which is not, in fact, self-driving, but a "Level 2" driver-assistance system—on the roads under the Seattle monorail, whose support structure runs along the middle of the road. In the video, Russell is excited by how well the car handles this unique road layout and, to his mind, shows tremendous improvement.

Russell is part of a community of Youtubers with access to FSD Beta, a pre-release version of the software Tesla sells as a subscription for $200 a month. These YouTubers, called beta testers, post videos of themselves driving their Teslas around their cities, showing what FSD Beta does and doesn't do well. They're especially interested in "edge cases," scenarios drivers—and artificial intelligence—don't encounter often, to see if FSD Beta can handle them or if it gets stuck or makes potentially dangerous mistakes. Like Russell, they often use these types of "edge cases" to gauge the software's progress over time.

But not everyone shared Russell's excitement over version 10. Hedge fund owner Taylor Ogan clipped a portion of that video for Twitter, which showed Russell's Tesla swerving to take an unexpected right turn across a crosswalk into the path of several pedestrians. Russell hit the brakes and took the wheel to prevent a catastrophe. He exclaimed, "Whoa! Shit," then raised an apologetic hand to the pedestrians, said "sorry," then said, "Damn."

Ogan's tweet of this incident went viral. The Twitter reaction to this clip was overwhelmingly one of horror; after all, it sure looks like a Tesla, running a controversial beta software on public roads, almost steers directly into pedestrians in a crosswalk.

After Ogan's tweet went viral, he got a direct message from Russell, according to a screenshot shared by Ogan. "Yo," Russell said, "Please delete your tweet. You can link to my video but not rip my video and give me no credit. That is illegal. I will follow up with your employer and am contacting twitter."

Twitter did end up removing the clip from Ogan's tweet, who defended posting the clip to Motherboard by citing fair use and said he linked to the full video in a follow-up tweet in the thread. In any event, the clip continues to circulate on Twitter.

Motherboard has learned that every FSD Beta tester signs a non-disclosure agreement in order to be a member of the Early Access Program (EAP), a community of Tesla aficionados the company selects. This NDA, the language of which Motherboard confirmed with multiple beta testers, specifically prohibits EAP members from speaking to the media or giving test rides to the media. It also says: "Do remember that there are a lot of people that want Tesla to fail; Don't let them mischaracterize your feedback and media posts." It also encourages EAP members to "share on social media responsibly and selectively...consider sharing fewer videos, and only the ones that you think are interesting or worthy of being shared."

Though Ogan's tweet was deleted, others, including David Zipper, a visiting fellow at Harvard Kennedy School who frequently writes about the automotive industry and government regulation for CityLab and Slate, have shared their own versions of Russell's video. In other words, a video that was supposed to demonstrate FSD Beta's improvement was going viral as evidence of how dangerous it is.
"Not sure why FSD is such a safety hazard—especially for pedestrians and cyclists?" Zipper asked in a tweet linking to the clip. "Check out this video, posted last week."

In a different world, these FSD beta test videos would be sequestered to a quiet corner of the internet just like any other product testing, unboxing, or brand-obsessed subculture. The people who care about them would care a lot, and everyone else would hardly even know they existed.

But, one of the only things Tesla supporters and critics agree on is that these videos are important. No matter what you think of Tesla, they provide the only window into just how good (or bad) FSD is.

Owners of the vehicles opt in to being beta testers, but all the other people on the road, sidewalks, or bike lanes do not. They are all—including, for example, the pedestrians trying to cross the street in Seattle—non-consenting subjects in the experiment, whether they realize it or not. Tesla doesn't release any data on FSD Beta's performance. And, so far, federal and state regulators have been completely absent, including the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which Zipper reported has clear jurisdiction to regulate FSD. Instead, by doing nothing, NHTSA has tacitly permitted Tesla to turn American roads into testing grounds.

As a result, these FSD Beta testing videos are more than entertainment for Tesla supporters like Russell and his fans. They're also important for people like Zipper, who are concerned that a private company is using public roads to beta test potentially dangerous software.

"How else can we really sound the alarm but by pointing out these videos, which are one of the best pieces of evidence we have, that show what seem to be blatantly unsafe things happening to a Tesla, or the Teslas doing plainly unsafe things, when it's operating under FSD?" Zipper asked. "And so that's why I distributed [the video] because, you know, I've looked pretty hard at what Tesla's doing, and at the, the ADAS [advanced driver assistance systems] space, and to me, there's real risks here to safety that I don't think people fully appreciate."

Back
Top Bottom