Euthanasia

Reports are published about the yearly overview on euthanasia in the Netherlands.

Increase in self-assisted suicides last year, with psychological reasons up by 20%
More people opt for euthanasia because of mental suffering - DutchNews.nl

Two snippets, one from each:

More euthanasia requests were granted in the Netherlands last year. The number of reported cases of euthanasia rose by four percent to 9,068. That is 5,4 percent of all the people who died in the Netherlands that year, yearly numbers of the Regional Euthanasia Testing Committees (RTE) show.

The numbers showed that euthanasia to end severe psychological suffering was up by 20 percent last year. In total, there were 138 assisted suicide cases for this reason.

The RTE received 138 notifications of euthanasia from people with psychiatric illnesses in 2023, 20% up from the year before.

In total, some 9,000 people died through euthanasia in 2023, or some 5.4% of the total number of deaths recorded in that year. Almost 90% of them were suffering from cancer.

In just five of the cases, the RTE found that the rules surrounding euthanasia were not adhered to properly and [those] will be investigated.

As the number of cases of euthanasia for people with psychiatric illnesses rises, the RTE also found that more psychiatrists directly involved in the treatment of a patient had carried out requests.

Five years ago, the Expertise Centrum Euthanasie, set up to help people whose doctors are unwilling to help, was involved in over three quarters of euthanasia requests due to mental suffering. That has gone down to 50%, the RTE said.

Source: 7 elderly right-to-die campaigners in court over suicide powder - DutchNews.nl

7 elderly right-to-die campaigners in court over suicide powder

April 8, 2024

Seven right-to-die campaigners, all over the age of 70, will appear in court in Arnhem on Monday, charged with encouraging people to use a “suicide powder” to end their lives.

Several of the seven are members of the Last Will Cooperative which believes everyone has the right to end their lives at the time of their choosing and has long campaigned for an end-of-life pill.

The seven are said by the public prosecution department to be members of a “criminal organization” due to the structured way they worked to distribute the cocktail of drugs that make up the powder known as “substance x” in legal documents.

The seven are all said to have their “own role” within the organization, which organized meetings at people’s homes to provide information about the right to die. However, the public prosecution department says they went further than providing information, which in itself is not illegal, and some also supplied the chemical powders.

The unnamed powder is used in the chemical industry and when ingested it can take up to 40 hours to die. Selling the powder is not an offense in itself unless the purpose is to help someone take their own life. Under Dutch law, it is illegal to help someone to die, unless a doctor acts under the strict terms of euthanasia legislation.

Last July another cooperative member, Alex S was jailed for 3.5 years, for distributing the powder, which is said to have been involved in at least 10 suicides.

Meanwhile, a group of people whose relatives killed themselves by taking the powder have called for a ban on substance x and say they plan to start legal action against the government if it does not do so.

Randy Knol, chairman of the foundation Ximena’s Vlinder, told the Parool (in Dutch) that the state is partly responsible for the death of people killed by the powder for failing to act earlier and to continue to approve its use in the food industry.

“The compound was unknown as a suicide aid until 2017, but since it has been praised by the Last Will Cooperative it is a problem worldwide,” Knol told the paper.

The foundation was set up in 2013 and now has some 30,000 members, most of whom joined when the cooperative went public about substance x.

Similar: Seven charged as organized crime ring in suicide drug case to stand trial today

Dutch coverage: Stichting gaat aangifte doen tegen Staat, om 'Middel X' te kunnen verbieden

from ‘I’m 28. And I’m Scheduled to Die in May.’

The whole artile is for paying subscribers only, which I'm not, so this is the first part of it.
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Ff7100f84-e7f6-41b4-9b5a-5617884da0cc_1600x1067.jpeg

Zoraya ter Beek, 28, together with her partner in the living room of their home in Oldenzaal, the Netherlands, on March 25, 2024. (Ilvy Njiokiktjien for The Free Press)

‘I’m 28. And I’m Scheduled to Die in May.’​

Some right-to-die activists want everyone to have access to euthanasia—even young people with mental illness. Are they also making suicide contagious?

By Rupa Subramanya
April 1, 2024

Zoraya ter Beek, 28, expects to be euthanized in early May.
Her plan, she said, is to be cremated.
“I did not want to burden my partner with having to keep the grave tidy,” ter Beek texted me. “We have not picked an urn yet, but that will be my new house!”
She added an urn emoji after “house!”
Ter Beek, who lives in a little Dutch town near the German border, once had ambitions to become a psychiatrist, but she was never able to muster the will to finish school or start a career. She said she was hobbled by her depression and autism and borderline personality disorder. Now she was tired of living—despite, she said, being in love with her boyfriend, a 40-year-old IT programmer, and living in a nice house with their two cats.
She recalled her psychiatrist telling her that they had tried everything, that “there’s nothing more we can do for you. It’s never gonna get any better.”
At that point, she said, she decided to die. “I was always very clear that if it doesn’t get better, I can’t do this anymore.”
As if to advertise her hopelessness, ter Beek has a tattoo of a “tree of life” on her upper left arm, but “in reverse.”
“Where the tree of life stands for growth and new beginnings,” she texted, “my tree is the opposite. It is losing its leaves, it is dying. And once the tree died, the bird flew out of it. I don’t see it as my soul leaving, but more as myself being freed from life.”
Her liberation, as it were, will take place at her home. “No music,” she said. “I will be going on the couch in the living room.”
She added: “The doctor really takes her time. It is not that they walk in and say: lay down please! Most of the time it is first a cup of coffee to settle the nerves and create a soft atmosphere. Then she asks if I am ready. I will take my place on the couch. She will once again ask if I am sure, and she will start up the procedure and wish me a good journey. Or, in my case, a nice nap, because I hate it if people say, ‘Safe journey.’ I’m not going anywhere.”
Then the doctor will administer a sedative, followed by a drug that will stop ter Beek’s heart.
When she’s dead, a euthanasia review committee will evaluate her death to ensure the doctor adhered to “due care criteria,” and the Dutch government will (almost certainly) declare that the life of Zoraya ter Beek was lawfully ended.
She’s asked her boyfriend to be with her to the very end.
There won’t be any funeral. She doesn’t have much family; she doesn’t think her friends will feel like going. Instead, her boyfriend will scatter her ashes in “a nice spot in the woods” that they have chosen together, she said.
“I’m a little afraid of dying, because it’s the ultimate unknown,” she said. “We don’t really know what’s next—or is there nothing? That’s the scary part.”

Zoraya ter Beek. (Ilvy Njiokiktjien for The Free Press)
Ter Beek is one of a growing number of people across the West choosing to end their lives rather than live in pain. Pain that, in many cases, can be treated.

Typically, when we think of people who are considering assisted suicide, we think of people facing terminal illness. But this new group is suffering from other syndromes—depression or anxiety exacerbated, they say, by economic uncertainty, the climate, social media, and a seemingly limitless array of fears and disappointments.

“I’m seeing euthanasia as some sort of acceptable option brought to the table by physicians, by psychiatrists, when previously it was the ultimate last resort,” Stef Groenewoud, a healthcare ethicist at Theological University Kampen, in the Netherlands, told me. “I see the phenomenon especially in people with psychiatric diseases, and especially young people with psychiatric disorders, where the healthcare professional seems to give up on them more easily than before.”

Theo Boer, a healthcare ethics professor at Protestant Theological University in Groningen, served for a decade on a euthanasia review board in the Netherlands. “I entered the review committee in 2005, and I was there until 2014,” Boer told me. “In those years, I saw the Dutch euthanasia practice evolve from death being a last resort to death being a default option.” He ultimately resigned.

Ter Beek’s medical necklace says ‘Do not resuscitate.’ (Ilvy Njiokiktjien for The Free Press)
Boer had in mind people like Zoraya ter Beek—who, critics argue, have been tacitly encouraged to kill themselves by laws that destigmatize suicide, a social media culture that glamorizes it, and radical right-to-die activists who insist we should be free to kill ourselves whenever our lives are “complete.”

They have fallen victim, in critics’ eyes, to a kind of suicide contagion.

Statistics suggest these critics have a point.

In 2001, the Netherlands became the first country in the world to make euthanasia legal. Since then, the number of people who increasingly choose to die is startling.

This post is for paying subscribers only

I could've posted this in the Stories of Covid vaccination side effects or worse topic as well, but here might be more appropriate.

From: Canadian Doctors Admit Covid 'Booster' Shot Paralyzed Woman, Offer to Euthanize Her to 'Make Up for It' - Slay News

Canadian Doctors Admit Covid ‘Booster’ Shot Paralyzed Woman, Offer to Euthanize Her to ‘Make Up for It’​

8cba3174a095e11a787c2b1268dc9916
Frank BergmanFebruary 24, 2024 - 12:28 pm12 Comments

kyla-pollock-canada-doctors-paralyzed-covid-vaccine-800x500.jpg

Canadian doctors have admitted that a Covid “booster” shot from Moderna is responsible for a young Ontario woman now being paralyzed for the rest of her life.
37-year-old mother Kayla Pollock is now paralyzed from the neck down after receiving the mRNA injection and says her life has become a “living hell.”
According to a report from The Liberty Daily, however, doctors have offered to “make up for it” by euthanizing the young mom.
The doctors suggested that Pollock should apply for Canada’s controversial Medical Assistance in Dying (MAID) program and said they would help her application get accepted.
As Slay News has reported, Canada has some of the most liberal euthanasia laws in the world.

In recent years, the government has been increasingly relaxing the laws that were originally meant to give terminally ill people an option for dying.
However, the expansion of the laws means people can now be euthanized for far less severe issues such as depression, homelessness, or mental illness.
The laws have even been expanded to include “mature minors” with a push to expand to infants.
In recent months, the North American nation has been ramping up efforts to accelerate the euthanasia of mentally ill citizens.

However, Canada’s government has recently been forced to halt its controversial program to euthanize mentally ill patients after large numbers of doctors have refused to participate in the scheme.

Nevertheless, applications for euthanizing disabled Canadians have never been simpler.

In fact, Canada is now euthanizing dozens of citizens every single day.

According to The Canadian Independent, Pollock’s life took a drastic turn after receiving a Moderna Covid mRNA “booster” shot.

She experienced paralysis from the neck down and has been enduring a challenging ordeal ever since.
When the pandemic struck, Kayla recalls the mainstream media, politicians, and public health officials emphasizing the severity of the virus and urging everyone to get vaccinated.
She remembers health officials specifically advising that those at highest risk should prioritize getting vaccinated.
Kayla heeded the advice of health officials and received the first two Pfizer shots in the middle of 2021 and didn’t experience any issues.

Additionally, she mentions another reason for getting vaccinated was because her father resided in a long-term care facility with dementia, and vaccination was going to be a requirement for entry into the care home.

Kayla then decided to take a booster, but this time it was a Moderna booster shot.
According to Kayla, Moderna was being given out instead of Pfizer.
Kayla says that something didn’t sit right in her gut, but she went ahead with the Moderna booster shot anyway.

She explains her reasoning for getting the third shot was because she felt like a third one would be mandated at some point to get access to her dad’s long-term care home.
She received the Moderna booster shot on January 11, 2022.
Four days later, Kayla described a situation where her legs just gave out, and she collapsed, but all seemed fine a short time later.

Then, nine days later, she experienced a similar event, and at that time, she called her doctor, asking to see a neurologist because she suspected something wasn’t right.

On the morning of February 22, 2022, Kayla’s life took an irreversible turn.
As she awoke, she couldn’t move her body.
Later, Kayla would learn that she had developed transverse myelitis, a condition that interrupts the transmission of messages along the spinal cord nerves throughout the body.
She would go on to spend several months in the hospital.

During her hospital stay, she said she came under increasing pressure from doctors to submit to euthanasia.
She revealed that she was forced to reject offers to be put in for MAID on two occasions during her hospital stay.
After being released from the hospital, doctors have told her that she will never walk again.
They also admitted that the “booster” was to blame and again offered to help her get approved for MAID, which she rejected, again.

An organization called Veterans 4 Freedom has stepped in to help Kayla and has set up a GiveSendGo campaign to help her raise funds for a service dog.

As The Liberty Daily notes, the story serves as a “damnation of Canada’s socialized healthcare system.”

Source: At least 172 people have died using suicide powder X: research - DutchNews.nl

At least 172 people have died using suicide powder X: research

April 18, 2024

At least 172 people have taken their own lives using the suicide powder “substance X” since 2015, suicide prevention organization Stichting 113 and the Amsterdam health board estimate.

It is the first time an investigation (in Dutch) has been carried out into how widespread use of the powder is, the organizations say.

The average age of people who had obtained the powder was 59, although the biggest group, some 38%, was over 70.

“The figures show that this is a very diverse group. It’s not only made up of elderly people who have made a considered choice,” researcher Lizanne Schweren told the NRC (in Dutch).

The investigation also showed the use of substance X increased five-fold between 2017 and 2021, from 10 to 50. The following year, 42 people used the powder to kill themselves.

Based on autopsy reports, the researchers found that 120 people had a “psychiatric record”, which included in some cases depression or anxiety. Some 19 had requested euthanasia in the prescribed way but over half had been rejected.

The unnamed powder is used in the chemical industry and when ingested it can take up to 40 hours to die. Selling the powder is not an offense in itself unless the purpose is to help someone take their own life. Under Dutch law, it is illegal to help someone to die, unless a doctor acts under the strict terms of euthanasia legislation.

Seven people aged between 70 and 80 are currently standing trial on charges of forming a criminal organization and supplying the suicide powder.

All seven are either members or former members of the right to die group Cooperative Last Will, which believes everyone has the right to end their lives at the time of their choosing and has long campaigned for an end-of-life pill.

The results of the investigation had been known since January but have only been published now. “Communication about suicide methods brings the risk of copy cat behavior, but the reporting of the court case said no figures were available, and we wanted to set the record straight.” Schweren told the paper.

Similar: At least 172 people died from taking suicide drug X

Dutch coverage:
Ten minste 172 doden door middel 'X' in Nederland sinds 2015
„Aantal sterfgevallen door middel X opvallend hoog”

Back
Top Bottom