Events in Russia

A few days ago, there was on the same Russian 1TV a report about the event in Libanon when the pagers exploded. The report had interviews with people in technology and security, and many photos and clips. They traced the idea to a SciFi series by Dan Simmons called the Hyperion Cantos in which the scenario had been presented. What was SciFi then is the reality today. The expectation is that many other states and entities will reuse the idea which requires a new level of awareness and attention from state security, producers of electronics, and users.
I have a friend who is reading Hyperion, and she said to me: it is like reading about us. What happens in the book happens in our reality.

Dan Simmons is a very good writer. I put Hyperion on my column of books... that is too high already! :lol:

The pager explosion episode was filmed in the Russian TV series Killing Force (Uboinaya Sila) 15 years ago.
The author of this series and many other detectives is Russian writer Andrei Kivinov, under colonel of police. In 1998-1999. - An employee of the Agency for Investigative Journalism. Apparently, he is a very smart and perceptive guy. There are a lot of insides in his books.

Russian MPs to back groundbreaking smoking ban – speaker​

The draft law would make it illegal to sell cigarettes, vapes and similar goods to anyone born after December 31, 2009.

The legislation tabled by the left-leaning New People faction means the legal smoking age will increase every year, eventually leading to a total prohibition for the entire population.
Russian MPs to back groundbreaking smoking ban – speaker

Unfortunately, Russia is in some ways even ahead of the West in going in the wrong direction domestically.

Unfortunately, Russia is in some ways even ahead of the West in going in the wrong direction domestically.
I don't look on this legislation too badly really. It's certainly not done with the draconian intent similar to the West. It will ban anyone under 15 from smoking. Not a bad idea really as I wouldn't want my kids smoking at that age. How many kids of 15 are self supporting to afford cigarettes and an other important factor is that it would eliminate the peer pressure factor.

However, as we live in a perpetual duality, there will be some who will always get around such obstacles.

It will ban anyone under 15 from smoking. Not a bad idea really as I wouldn't want my kids smoking at that age.
This legislation would ban them from smoking forever, even when they grow up. Though of course they will be able to get tobacco "illegally" anyway - since it is not banned for those born before 2009.

Whether children should get nicotine as protection against the nano-contamination of food, water and many other things is a good question though. How much is the "not wanting your kids to smoke" an internal program and how much is it justified?

I would say that this is another significant nail in the coffin of American dominance in world trade.
Historical moment: the Panamax container ship passed through the Northern Sea Route for the first time

The other day, a huge container ship successfully passed along the Northern Sea Route and turned out to be the first Panamax-sized vessel to fly along this route, which became a historic moment for the entire shipping industry of the region and the world. The vessel Flying Fish 1 (IMO 9200811, MMSI 352003133) was built in 2000 and flies the flag of Panama, its length is 294.04 meters and width is 32.2 meters.

The wiring of the largest container ship in the history of the Northern Sea Route was carried out by the Federal State Budgetary Institution "Main Directorate of the Northern Sea Route" (Glavsevmorput – since 2022 it has been part of the Rosatom State Corporation). According to Glavsevmorput, Flying Fish 1 left the port of St. Petersburg and headed to the Chinese port of Qingdao, carrying 664 twenty-foot containers and 1,727 forty-foot containers (a total of 40.966 thousand tons of cargo). Rosatom clarified that the vessel crossed the border of the Northern Sea Route in the area of Cape Desire (Novaya Zemlya Archipelago) and left the water area of the route in the area of Cape Dezhnev (Chukchi Peninsula).

At the same time, the general director of Glavsevmorput, Sergey Zybko, clarified that the wiring of vessels with a large draft implies sailing only on deep-sea routes. Therefore, the navigation route of the specified container ship was developed in accordance with this condition and the ice situation.

The container ship successfully passed the Northern Sea Route in almost 6 days with an average speed of 15.5 knots

– he pointed shakily.

The ship traveled all the way from St. Petersburg to Qingdao and then to Shanghai in just 21 days. What also makes this event significant for the whole world is that a similar route through the Suez Canal would take two weeks longer. All data were also recorded by the Russian satellite group SITRO-AIS (the small spacecraft Zorky-2M, manufactured by SPUTNIX, is part of Sitronics). The data was transferred to SiAIS (C-AIS), a domestic cloud–based satellite automatic identification system service developed by Sitronics, a subsidiary of Sistema AFC, to track maritime traffic. Now it contains information about 10 thousand seaports around the world and 570 thousand ships of various types.

Historical moment: the Panamax container ship passed through the Northern Sea Route for the first time

In 2023, SPUTNIX built and sent 20 spacecraft into orbit, including SITRO-AIS devices for tracking ships. During the course of serial production, more than 100 new satellites for various purposes were built during the year, which will go into orbit in 2024. The company develops and creates civil satellites in the interests of Russian and foreign customers, as well as to solve the strategic tasks of Sitronics itself, including in the field of marine vessel monitoring (AIS), aircraft tracking (ADS-B) and satellite Internet (IoT).
ÐÑÑоÑиÑеÑкий моменÑ: конÑейнеÑовоз Ñипа Panamax впеÑвÑе пÑоÑел ÑеÑез СевмоÑпÑÑÑ

Я бы сказал, что это еще один существенный гвоздь в крышку гроба американского доминирования в мировой торговле.

This legislation would ban them from smoking forever, even when they grow up. Though of course they will be able to get tobacco "illegally" anyway - since it is not banned for those born before 2009.

Whether children should get nicotine as protection against the nano-contamination of food, water and many other things is a good question though. How much is the "not wanting your kids to smoke" an internal program and how much is it justified?
From my , perspective , and this is something that murikans always miss , formal gov(s). should not be deciding on one's private life choices , aside criminal (...) , "justifified" my !"#$"#$

From my , perspective , and this is something that murikans always miss , formal gov(s). should not be deciding on one's private life choices , aside criminal (...) , "justifified" my !"#$"#$
What do Americans have to do with it? In this case, Russians are limiting private life choices. And "justified" referred to parents not wanting their kids to smoke.

How much is the "not wanting your kids to smoke"
How many kids can pay for their own cigarettes under 15 years of age. As a parent do I pay for them?
That is not a programme running in me, I cannot afford to do this.
When they become adults and can afford such things and my duty as a parent allows them to fly the coop then they can decide. This is also not a programme running in me.

The pollutants surrounding us all are beyond my control but I really don't think giving under 15's cigarettes as a control of such pollutants is viable. That then raises the question at what age would you start giving them cigarettes?

" That then raises the question at what age would you start giving them cigarettes? " ( Tuatha de Danaan) too much of an open ended question , (fwiiw ) , on the lower end of the spectrum , what good would it benefit anyone (else ) for an op to smoke ? better mirroring of the souled ?
On the "end" of such scale , would it benefit someone that appreciates that freedom is the price of eternal vigilance ? aside financial considerations ?

Back
Top Bottom