Foot issue

So last night I had the consult with the ortho to discuss the MRI results: osteoarthritis it is, and surgery is off the table. He prescribed 30 days of taking the anti-inflammatory Etodolac, 2x p/d 300mg, and advised me to get good insoles. Upon my asking, he stated that he didn't know if it was psoriatic arthritis or osteoarthritis and that it didn't matter for now. He also didn't show curiosity why this manifested in a otherwise healthy, slim person of 54 years of age (i.e. much yonger than the "normal" onset of this type of affliction, and was more like, yeah, tough luck, don't go play tennis anytime soon! Yeah, right!

We went to the ortho centre today for new insoles, but the lady said that the ones i got last time would not differ much from other ones, same material etc. I wasn't already impressed with those, and glad that we walked out because after watching the video Yupo posted above, it would seem logical for me to get a pair as described in the video: with good, solid arch support and all (thanks Yupo for posting it!). So, now i will get myself an appointment with a podiatrist here, who i read did her studies in the US (i am in Portugal), do a video gait analysis and see what she has to say about getting the correct insoles. I do think though that i would have to go to Holland to have them made there. The first ortho mentioned that the quality in Portugal is quite poor.

At the pharmacy, the helpful guy said that he advised taking each Etodolac pill with the stomach protector Aboco NeoBianacid, which is gluten free and plant based. I read some disturbing side effects relating to Etodolac (other name is Lodine), so I think it might be useful to take the Bianacid as well. There is some inflammation on top of the bone under toe 2, so I really hope it will go down with this drug. As per Laura's post here, i will start taking omega-3 and quercetin again to help counter the inflammation, as well as up the Vit C. If anyone has experience with or comments about Etodolac, I'd love to hear about it. Many thanks!

Thank you once again Yupo for your helpful post. What an ordeal you went through! I bet your foresightedness and action prevented many problems which would only manifest at a later stage in your life. I wanted to ask if by "at least a year of aggressive but more conservative care" you mean, amongst other things, taking NSAIDs like Etodolac (and stroner ones)?

I know! This forum is a true life saver in so many respects! I'm really happy you get so much out of it, and i hope the podiatrist can help you with your big toe issue, good luck to you!
EXCELLENT! :cheer: How fabulous Laurs! The knowledge you need is freely coming your way from many sources! 👨‍⚕️🦶🕺🌎⭐

I'm actually not a big fan of NSAIDs, as they can cause so many problems with long term use. But they do relieve pain pretty well. To my mind it is better to address what is actually causing the pain and inflammation, and trying to eliminate that. FWIW, I don't see any evidence of Psoriatic arthritis on your films, and that is a very good thing since it can be quite debilitating.
There is something to be said for going easy on your joints, as they will last (in comfort) longer this way.
Podiatry (as a career) attracts a lot of runners and triathletes. Many of my more athletic colleagues (that I knew in school) are today nearly crippled with degenerative (wear and tear type) arthritis. Unlike many of my colleagues (run run run!), I'm more biased toward kindness to the body. And so, it is good to get a variety of opinions.
For example, I have a Morton's Neuroma in each foot. I've never injected myself for these, but certainly would if necessary. I opted to leave them alone when having my Left foot fixed. What works for me is slowing down and perhaps ditching any problematic shoes.
These things are always complex and multi-factoral, of course. Like I said, every case is a bit different, feet being as unique as faces.
Hope all that helps. I wish you the best.

There is something to be said for going easy on your joints, as they will last (in comfort) longer this way.
Podiatry (as a career) attracts a lot of runners and triathletes. Many of my more athletic colleagues (that I knew in school) are today nearly crippled with degenerative (wear and tear type) arthritis. Unlike many of my colleagues (run run run!), I'm more biased toward kindness to the body.
Agreed. I always say that recumbent bikes can get basically the same cardio as running, without the punishment that the joints, knees, and ankles take from running on concrete. I know there's a "runner's high" that many people experience, but to me it's not worth it. Just do leg exercises like leg press and you can get a similar mood boost.

Back
Top Bottom