Gluten-free Recipes

Herb Salad

Note: you can use any combination of herbs you like in any amount according to taste. This is the one I made:

dandelion greens
cilantro
basil
yellow (or red) beets boiled or roasted and cooled, peeled and sliced/cut
2 onions sauteed/fried/carmelized
chopped ginger to taste
salt
pepper
the juice of 2 limes

Combine and enjoy!

edit: added a forgotten ingredient!

I had to quit eating sugar. I remembered once we talked about date paste as a "sugar substitute" or at least a healthier option.
I went in the kitchen and whipped up this:

DATE BREAD

Ingredients:

1 package pitted pressed date 100g(3.5 oz)
Handful of any nuts you can eat (I use almond slivers and walnuts)
Raisins
Dried fruits, cranberry, mango, whatever you have at home
3-4 eggs if you aren't allergic
Butter or ghee
Shredded coconut
Apricot paste
Lemon zest
1 lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

I soak the date paste for 10 min. with a little water in a large bowl.
The date-paste is too gooey, it needs to be liquidized to work with, mash it with a fork until smooth.
I cut dried mangoes into half-inch pieces then put it in a bowl with approx. 1/2 cup rice flour and dried fruits.
Separate the egg yolks and stir into the date paste adding lemon zest and lemon juice.
(if you don't use eggs I suggest putting 1/4 pound more butter into the dough)
Whip the egg whites.
Put the flour fruit mix into the date paste and stir. If necessary, add more flour with a 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda.
Break some walnuts into the dough and add almonds, (slivers or whole.)
If you want more nuts go ahead!
The apricot paste is next. Its comes in sheets, so I cut it into 1 inch pieces.
Put a handful of shredded coconut in the dough along with some butter and whipped egg whites.

I use a 9 X 9 inch pan for baking @350 degrees for 45 minutes and test with a toothpick.

Here are my two favorite websites for gluten free cooking.

1. www.elanaspantry.com Banana birthday cake is delicious! She uses almond flour in a lot of her recipes, just a heads up.

2. www.healthyindulgences.blogspot.com There is a chocolate cake recipe that is made with beans and is is FABULOUS!! I made it for a bridal shower and everyone raved over it. They were shocked when I told them the ingredients.

I've recently started baking gluten, dairy and sugar-free and look forward to trying out this black bean cake and some other recipes on here. Thanks for telling me about the cake, Jen1221 and for the review, Chachazoon!! As I get better in the kitchen maybe I'll share some recipes I've created too. :)

I tried the chocolate bean cake. It was really tasty but didn't feel good in my tummy. I haven't been eating beans or cocoa on the ultra simple diet, so I'm not sure which ingredient didn't sit well.

I wonder if it is better to use dried beans and soak them with baking soda? Im still unsure of the bean healthwise, but what a cake! And thanks Jen for another great site! Grain free dairy free recipes. Things sure have changed since I was on the Atkins licking frozen splenda cream cheese balls. The recipes are fantastic!

chachazoom said:
I just tried the bean cake and WOWSA!! Great recipes!

Today I also tried this chocolate bean cake. Tasted really great!

And the result was quite good: :)

I used red beans, soaked in water over night and then cooked.

I made a mistake with the translation so I didn't realize that those amounts are for one layer each, but it was enough anyway. 6 persons pounced on it and we still couldn't finish it off :D

Thanks everyone for contributing. I use a great www.glutenfreegoddess.com as inspiration for some of my recipes.

This is one of those inspirations and I have tweaked it a bit by using coconut oil and xylitol. I also buy my organic gluten free self raising flour pre mixed. You can do your own if preferred. In Australia we use 'Self Raising' flour as bakers flour for anything that needs 'rise'. If you are in the U.S just add the 1 teaspoon of baking powder.

My husband even likes these and he "doesn't eat gluten free". hehehehe if only he knew.

BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

2 cups gluten free SR flour
1 teaspoon bicarb
1 teaspoon baking soda (if not using SR flour)
1/3 cup xylitol
1/2 cup shaved coconut
nutmeg

1 cup coconut oil
1 cup blueberries (I use frozen)
2 ripe bananas mashed
2 eggs (or egg replacement)
2 tablespoons tepid water if mixture is a bit dry.

Preheat oven to 180C. Mix all the dry ingredients together then add the wet stuff. Spoon into a muffin tray and bake until golden brown (approx 20 min)

Try one while they're still warm.. YUM

D Rusak said:
My mom still makes all of her cookies every year, even though she can no longer eat them because she is celiac. I decided to adapt this recipe for her. While not the most elaborate cookie these ARE quite addictive!

1/2 c. oil
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted or 3/4 c. cocoa powder w/ 2 tsp. oil
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. rice flour
2 tbsp. tapioca starch
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. powdered sugar

Mix oil, sugar,vanilla& chocolate. Beat in eggs. Add flour, starch, baking powder & salt. Chill several hours. Heat oven to 350F. Drop dough from a tsp. in powdered sugar & roll. Make balls and put 2 in. apart on a greased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 min.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Just tried this recipe again but with blanched almond flour instead of the rice flour. Left out the tapioca starch too, since I didn't have any on hand, and used coconut oil where it says oil. EVEN MORE AWESOME!!!

I haven't gotten funds together for xylitol (soon, I hope) but I cut the sugar a bit (about 1 1/3 c total) and it was fine. A good option for those who can tolerate the almond flour.

Quinoa & wild rice salad

1 cup quinoa
1/2 cup wildrice
1 avocado
some sesame seeds
fried turkey strips (I used ghee to fry)
vegetables you like and (I made it with tomatos, broccoli and zucchini)
fresh parsley
salt
black pepper
garlic if you like
olive oil
cider vinegar or lemon juice

I love the combination of quinoa, wildrice and avocado. I think they fit perfectly togehter. :)

Hi Guys,

Just to throw in my two cents, found this website on the back of a cars windscreen this morning.

I love it. Just a few usefull recipe's that might be useful I'm sure they some of you will try them.

http://www.alivitsallaboutglutenfree.com

There are also a heap of recipe books etc that will be of good value if you dont already have a few. There are a few changes needing to be made to some of these recipe's but using the knowledge from in this forum I'm sure most of you will have no drama's. There is a good little list showing you what you can replace gluten foods with aswell.

Regards,

Brent Chapman

EDIT: Changed last paragraph.

From a quote of July 2007:

Breakfast Sausage

5 pounds of ground pork (shoulder will do nicely)
2 1/2 TBSP salt
2 1/2 tsp rubbed sage
1 1/2 tsp summer savory (can anybody tell me what this is called in French? I'm almost out!)
1/2 tsp and 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp marjoram
1 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
4 TBSP brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes

Summer savory is sarriette in french, not to be confused with romarin (rosemary). It is quite difficult to find in stores and is often picked up from private gardens.

I know i'm more than 5 years late, but let's make sausages ! ;)

PS : I guess it would make sens to edit the post i'm talking about.

Back
Top Bottom