Goodbye, Luna the cat!

Seppo Ilmarinen

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
Our 16 yo Luna cat has had some issues with her teeth that started to cause her drooling, and we took her to vet today. Unfortunately, during the inspection veterinarian found a lump from other side under her jaw, which she suspected to be a tumor. She consulted a vet dentist, who also inspected Luna and said it's 95% likely a tumor under her jaw, and even if the cause would be teeth related disease, the operation needed would be extremely stressful process for cat of her age, where the end result could still be the same. Besides the teeth issue she was still in relatively good shape, purring and had still her appetite.

They both recommended euthanasia, saying it's better at this point instead of waiting for too long and causing unnecessary suffering for her, as her condition would likely keep deteoriating fast. We had already decided beforehand to pay for the dental operation if needed to get her better. But we didn't expect a tumor. Thus we agreed to put her to sleep. She was already 16 years old, unfortunately her time with us had passed.

We buried her under an oak tree in our yard, and her spirit can now protect us and the rest of our 2D family members. We had noticed that during the last several months she was getting to our lap more often than before, usually every evening. Perhaps it was her way to say goodbye. She was amazing cat with legendary appetite; I once cooked a duck breast and had left it in the frying pan to cool for a while. After getting back to the kitchen, Luna had already pushed the duck breast from the pan to the floor, and was enjoying her culinary meal! :-D

Here she had recently arrived to us:
IMG-20240524-WA0004.jpg
This picture of her is few years ago from our current home: IMG-20240524-WA0005.jpg

Really sorry to hear about the loss of your cat, Seppo. I think that putting Luna to sleep was the best option considering her condition and her age. Thank you for sharing details from her life and the pictures with us. She's certainly watching and protecting you from the other side now.

I am so sorry for your loss Seppo. Luna looks like a cheeky yet graful presence. A lot of that will keep Luna close in your memories. Everyone who ever owned a cat has fond stories to tell. But there is something about grey cats (like their near invisibility at dusk, or the many colors in the grey fur) that speaks to me. But then, I am living with a grey one, too. May Luna move on to exciting new adventures. All the best and lots of strength

I'm sorry to hear you had to say goodbye to a companion of so many years Seppo, it must feel very different not to have her around anymore. Luna looks like quite a character in the photos, I can definitely picture her cheekily stealing duck off a pan :-) I can imagine it wasn't easy to make this decision, but you did save her further suffering. And thanks to the time she had with you she's taken many years of positive memories with her to the other side :hug2:

She looks like the most adorable cat and her gaze seems full of love for you in that picture. Her eye color looks like a greenish turquoise, what a beautiful cat. Sorry for your loss 🌷

My beloved cat died 2 years ago on Easter Monday. He had some health issues, mostly liver or pancreas. He had a bad habit of eating poison plants and I took too long before getting rid of them, so I think it contributed to his health issues...

I buried him under the pear tree where there used to be only weeds growing, and some Lily of the valley. Next spring (last year), I found out my favorite flower had grown at the head of his burial, close to the fence.
Blue forget-me-not...
I've been here 10 years and nothing but weeds ever grew there! So I know it's him

_DSC2234 copy.jpg

What a beautiful cat. A heartfelt hug to you both.:hug2: That can be such a devastating decision to have to make, it's a hard lesson in compassion and selflessness. I had to make the same choice a while ago, the memory of it still makes me cry. I know it was the right thing, but it doesn't make it any less painful.

Luna sounds like she had a wonderful life and would be well aware she is deeply loved. The Oak tree sounds like the purrrfect place of rest for Luna's sweet soft body... while her spirit dances on to the light, following the scent of duck breast, no doubt! :-P Perhaps it brings you a little comfort also, to remember that you have blessed her life and growth just as much as she has blessed yours. 💞

I am so sorry to hear that you had to make such a difficult decision. 16 years is a long time and a proud age for a cat. But it's also a long time to live with such an adorable creature, get used to her quirks (she never got used to ours) and suddenly she's no longer there. I had to make this tough decision twice last year. My two cats were also very old and they would have suffered unnecessarily. The vet said something very nice and also helpful to me at that moment. He said: "You know what, in the wild your cat would have lived to be a maximum of 12 years old. Here with you, with free range and the right food, she's now almost 18 years old. That's wonderful and a gift. With the help of vets, cat owners can always try to prolong a cat's life. But that would be selfishness. In its purest form.

And with those words, I was able to let her go. 🙌

P.S.: Luna was a beauty

Hi Seppo Ilmarinen, really beautiful Luna.

At the end of august last year, my beloved black cat, and partner Pantera, also left this world, after 17 years.

Our connection was and is very strong, that's how it's after he left, I have felt his presence especially in my dreams.

I have seen him impeccable, and with radiant eyes, and I'm sure that Luna is very good too. 16 years of love, will not be forgotten, nor will ever be forgotten... I send you a big hug. 🙏

Back
Top Bottom