Greta Thunberg: False Prophet of the Children's Crusade

I've also noticed an apparent shift over the last week. Incidentally the following has been going on with the YouTube community over the same period. I have mixed feelings about it though. It's good that they are doing something positive themselves rather than just being fearful and asking for governments to step in, and planting more trees always seems like a good idea. On the flip side it is based on lies, so perpetuates them and perhaps embeds people in them if they invest time/money into it.

YouTubers Come Together to Fundraise for Team Trees to Help Combat Climate Change
By Steven Asarch On 10/28/19 at 3:37 PM EDT

YouTubers are rallying together to help plant 20 million trees by 2020 through fan donations to the Arbor Day Foundation in an attempt to help the planet. Calling the movement "#TeamTrees," the dozens of YouTubers have already reached a quarter of their goal.

team trees mr beast plant arbor day

Team Trees is on a mission to plant 20 million by 2020 Team Trees

Starting with Jimmy "MrBeast" Donaldson and former NASA scientist turned YouTuber Mark Rober, dozens of collaborations and fundraising efforts have been started over the past week. The idea originally stemmed from Donaldson's fan base messaging and tweeting at him to do something good with his time and money, like planting 20 million trees for hitting 20 million subscribers on his channel. The idea appealed to the YouTuber who worked behind the scenes over the past five months to create a collaboration with as many YouTubers willing to jump on board.

Donaldson and Rober reached out to the Arbor Day Foundation, which is the largest nonprofit dedicated to planting trees. During the past 50 years, the organization has helped plant more than 350 million trees among the United States national forests and around the world.

"Our mission is to inspire people to plant, nurture and celebrate trees," Woody Nelson, the vice president of Marketing Communications of the Arbor Day Foundation told Newsweek. "This has been fantastic, just to know this community of young people cares. They are really stepping up to make a donation."

team trees mr beast plant arbor day

Over 5.6 million dollars have been raised to plant trees Team Trees

In just more than two days, more than 5.3 million trees have been planted thanks to do the donations and fundraising efforts by YouTubers and fans alike. For each dollar donated, the Arbor Day Foundation will plant one tree "in a forest of high need around the globe" according to the Team Trees FAQ. According to Nelson, most of the money raised will go towards the "Reforestation" program that "brings forests back to their natural state which takes a lot of trees."

Content creators from all across the internet are working together on this collaboration. Seán William "Jacksepticeye" McLoughlin held a Minecraft stream on his channel, raising $153,000 to planting trees. Donaldson's original video announcing the initiative has acquired 24 million views and has been hovering at the top of the trending charts since the announcement.

Other collective channels like Linus Tech Tips, the Try Guys, HowToBasic and dozens of others have already posted their own videos. YouTubers fundraising for charity is nothing new; over $20 million was raised in 2018 alone for dozens of different causes.

Musician Alan Walker donated $100,001 to the initiative, helping spread the cause further.

The "#teamtrees" has been trending for days on Twitter, with thousands of tweets getting spread every hour. The movement that includes so many large personalities with a worthy cause has managed to catch on like a social media wildfire.

"The way our world is today, it's wonderful that so many people in this YouTube community really care," Nelson said. We think that's fantastic. If ever there's been a time to plant trees, now is that time."

Hmmm... It could merely be the calm before the storm. This is what happened in Melbourne today.

Hopefully, an isolated incident and not a preview of things to come.

11649310-3x2-460x307.jpg

Last edited:
I've also noticed an apparent shift over the last week. Incidentally the following has been going on with the YouTube community over the same period. I have mixed feelings about it though. It's good that they are doing something positive themselves rather than just being fearful and asking for governments to step in, and planting more trees always seems like a good idea. On the flip side it is based on lies, so perpetuates them and perhaps embeds people in them if they invest time/money into it.

YouTubers are rallying together to help plant 20 million trees by 2020 through fan donations to the Arbor Day Foundation in an attempt to help the planet. Calling the movement "#TeamTrees," the dozens of YouTubers have already reached a quarter of their goal.
I understand your reluctance to buy into it. Below I have played with the idea of planting trees. It is fun to see plants grow year after year and I understand the enthusiasm, but what are the realities of the impact and the finances.

20 million trees is a lot but how much land do they cover?
That depends on the spacing between the trees.
8. Spacing of plantings
By observing trees and shrubs growing under natural conditions, it is often found that plants grow widely apart in low rainfall areas. Therefore, wide spacing of plantings in arid zones generally should be practiced to avoid competition for soil moisture.

The amount of water available to a tree or shrub in a plantation is proportional to the stand density. On dry sites, it is necessary to plant widely apart and to remove all competing ground vegetation; this increases infiltration of rainwater and decreases water losses through transpiration by plants and evaporation from the soil. When irrigation or mechanical cultivation is practiced, it is necessary to adjust spacing to the width of the machinery used and to ensure that plants are placed in straight rows. Actual spacing varies with species, site, and the purpose of the forest plantation. In fuelwood plantations, for example, one might prefer closer spacings than employed in other kinds of plantations. Seldom can a spacing of less than 3 x 3 meters be applied, however.

The number of trees per hectare, according to the spacing between the lines in a plantation and the spacing of plants within a line, is given in Table 4.1. For example, with a spacing between lines of 3 meters and a spacing of plants within a line of 3 meters, a planting density of 1,111 trees per hectare will be required.
It depends on where they plant, but if we use the above number, then 20,000,000 trees / 1,111 trees per hectar, requires 18,002 hectars. As 1 sqkm is 100 hectars, 18,000 hectars is 180 sqkm. 180 sqkm is the same as 13.4 km by 13.4 km or 8.4 miles by 8.4 miles. Even if we give the trees three times more space, that is not a lot of land. They calculate the cost as 1 $ per tree. I looked up the one tree planted website and they say.
How Much Does it Cost to Plant a Tree? has
$.50 -.85 for one tree sapling to be grown at a nursery
$.20 - $.30 per tree to be planted
$.08 - $.20 per tree average with transport costs, material costs
$.10 - $.22 ongoing maintenance of trees
$.12 - $.15 operating costs
$.03 - $.05 credit card processing fees, transaction costs
Which gives from 1.03 to 1.77 cents (USD) per tree.

In some parts of the world it is more expensive to plant. In northern Europe the price is USD 3700 to 5900, or around USD 3.5 to 5.5 per tree. but this does not include the price of the land. Below are some prices from Europe: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/docum...P-EN.pdf/b1d0ffd3-f75b-40cc-b53f-f22f68d541df

1572379711018.png
If they manage to plant 20,000,000 trees this Autumn, then while this goes on every week there are 1,6 million more people on the planet, that is 230,000 people every day, or the amount of trees needed to cover 200 hectars, which in fact requires only 222,222 trees if conditions allow for minimum spacing. For a review of the research on the effects of trees and forests on the climate see https://ec.europa.eu/environment/forests/pdf/EU_Forests_annex1.pdf It turns out that forest in sub tundra areas like parts of Alaska, Canada, Norway Sweden, Finland, Russia/Siberia reduces the albedo, that is less sunlight is reflected, leading to the snow disappearing earlier in spring and by their insulating effect result in in higher minimum temperatures during winter, and during the summer give lower maximum temperatures thus having a balancing effect. In the temperate climate zone the research is less clear, but where I am the increased amount of forest since the mid 19th century has led to sea fog not penetrating far inland less often, to higher precipitation and temperature. Planting trees and taking care of trees is great, I think, but I wonder if this 20,000,000 tree campaign is more than a media stunt.

Since the mining conference in Melbourne is scheduled to last for three days, the protests continue. The situation is escalating and the protesters are becoming more aggressive and brazen.

It is not just a simple blockade or a bit of public nuisance. It is a full on riot Aussie style - onesies, spit and pepper spray.

11653606-3x2-460x307 (1).jpg

Should policies be changed to suit young voters protesting these days perhaps a forward looking investment for the rest of the current non protesters could be in power tools, copper wire and any piece of parts or material or even appliance that will not be produced in the future. The same could be applicable to printed books and scientific articles, I guess, since paper mills will most likely disappear together with tins for tin food and other habitual objects. I wonder how thin needs the ordinary genXer’s patience to wear down before the moment of ‘Enough with this nonsense.’ I sense tremendous irritation building up already. Truth be told people protest because they have time to do it. And they have time to do it because they don’t work.

It's not an exercise in futility. It never has been.

Yes I think you are right but after over four years of consistent effort, it kind of felt that way. If there's people out there who were seeing what I was posting and getting something from it, they weren't exactly sticking their necks out to let me know. Just a very few people did.

It is not just a simple blockade or a bit of public nuisance. It is a full on riot Aussie style - onesies, spit and pepper spray.
Thank you Adam, I just learned a new word, "onesies" which made me think of "one size fits all" and it gets better: Wiki has: Onesie (jumpsuit) - Wikipedia
Onesie was originally a term for an infant bodysuit,[1] probably derived from Onesies®, which is a registered trademark for a certain range of infants' clothes.

Is it just me or do you also get the funny feeling that the whole scare seems to have all of a sudden kind of died down quite a notch almost as if somekind of shift has occurred? It is almost as if, as soon as a lot of people exposed the madness for what it is „the matrix“ shifted gears. Where is all the huge focus and attention on Greta and all the related climate stuff in the media and general discussion right now? Quite a contrast to the last months, OSIT. Reality shift? Just a silly thought that went through my mind today. So take it with a big slab of salt...
There is also the point that the key reason for Greta crescendo was due to the UN General Assembly and the wish for that to take center stage, relegating real issues to the sidelines. This type of crescendo/hype/hysteria happens just before every major international climate conference, or when a new IPCC report is about to be published, after which it dies down again. The same standard operation procedure (SOP) can also be seen in other areas such as we have seen the many times a major coming together to resolve the Syrian crisis is about to happen, and where then a few days before a chemical gas attack allegations are all over the media, blaming Assad of course and stealing the narrative. It works to distract and control the debate and the headlines of the media circus. In the case of Greta and the climate hysteria, it worked wonders in taking pedophilia and the Epstein story of the radar.

So I think they use the same playbook and it might even be the same puppet masters behind it pulling the strings.

I also think, as others have mentioned, that it has backfired spectacularly, at least concerning the socalled climate crisis.

Lol, only in ‘Straya mate! Looks like ScoMo wants to crack down on environmental activists.
Scott Morrison, the Australian prime minister could be the first Western leader to call out the new-style radical activists on the economic damage their "indulgent and selfish" actions cause, and in doing so has stirred up a hornet's nest.

Speaking to the Queensland Resources Council in the northern Australian state today he revived talk of penalising environmental and other activist groups for targeting businesses who provide services to the resource industry, in what is known as secondary boycotting.
-https://www.rt.com/news/472416-radical-activism-stop-australia/

Added: Straya= slang for Australia (we have a knack for shortening words 😀)

People are apparently willing to riot at a moment's notice while surfing atop the crest of civilization's wave. (Ugh. That's altogether too flowery, sorry, but I can't right now think of another way of saying it. Anyway, you know what I mean.)

I can certainly see why the elite would be eager to create so many fake bogeymen; to avoid being beheaded themselves when the comets start falling and they prove ineffectual at their job of communing with god (to avert catastrophes).

If the Far Left get their woman of color in office, they're going to be too busy blaming and killing each other to look askance at their chosen leadership when TSHTF.

An interesting strategy, a bid placed on the table before the dice fall. We'll see if it works.

The inherent hypocrisy of this contrived media show hits another ironic low:
San Fran artist paints mural of Greta Thunberg using spray said to be 'notorious' for causing global warming

The city of San Francisco can now add another problem to its growing list of issues: Environmental waste from a mural of climate activist Greta Thunberg.

According to the Associated Press, Argentine artist Andres Iglesias, also known by his pseudonym Cobre, has painted a giant mural of the 16-year-old Nobel Peace Prize nominee in Union Square. Iglesias told KPIX-TV he created the mural because he wants people "to realize [we] have to do something for the world. Otherwise, it's going to be the beginning of our extinction."

'Asthma-inducing'
However, as a video of the project shows, Iglesias is using aerosol spray paint cans for the Thunberg mural, which environmentalists say emit volatile organic compounds that contribute to global warming.

While it is unclear how many spray cans Iglesias has used, the mural spans four stories and at least one smaller project utilized 500 cans of the paint scientists say can generate asthma-inducing smog. To create the mural of the teenage climate activist, the artist used a respirator that is said to protect painters subjected to noxious fumes.

'Toxic waste'
As reported in Scientific American, although most aerosol products sold in the U.S. now use propellants, such as compressed gasses and hydrocarbons that "do not deplete the ozone layer," the use of spray cans like the one being used in the Greta Thunberg mural remain harmful to the environment.
They still contain hydrocarbons and/or compressed gases notorious for their contribution to global warming. Every time you hit the button, then, you are raising your carbon footprint, albeit ever so slightly.
Meanwhile, an article in World Atlas notes that even the cans themselves contribute to pollution and climate change:
The modern CFC-free aerosols still emit the volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which still affect the ozone and the environment. The VOCs are the primary component of the asthma-inducing smog. Besides, the propellants in aerosol cans are highly flammable when in contact with fire and can cause explosions and start fires. Empty aerosol cans are considered as hazardous waste in the US.

[assorted comments]
Primate Exterminator12 hours ago
Stop trying to shove this manufactured saint down everyone’s throat. She’s a muppet.

KLDM1 day ago
Uh, aerosol in those spray paint canisters...contains harmful virtue signals

propblast82nd1 day ago
Be careful not to step on used syringes or piles of human feces when looking up at the mural.

Highly Medicated1 day ago
Perfect mural for a communist City and state

Commander Osis1 day ago
Just a friendly reminder CBS protects child rapists and fires whistleblowers that do the right thing

Back
Top Bottom