Hagar is VERY sick

Guardian

The Cosmic Force
He's over at the University of Tenn Vet Hospital in Knoxville with a blocked urethra. They drained his bladder and will do surgery first thing in the morning if he's ok to take it. Hilda is with him since they've never been apart and it would be too stressful for him without her. Even with the surgery, it's iffy because he is so small.

We just got back, and as I was coming up the back road I ran over a young rabbit. He ran right under my right front tire...there was NOTHING I could do. It was VERY bad..but he didn't die immediately. He cried REAL loud, but then he died right before I was about to kill him.

Guardian said:
He's over at the University of Tenn Vet Hospital in Knoxville with a blocked urethra. They drained his bladder and will do surgery first thing in the morning if he's ok to take it. Hilda is with him since they've never been apart and it would be too stressful for him without her. Even with the surgery, it's iffy because he is so small.

We just got back, and as I was coming up the back road I ran over a young rabbit. He ran right under my right front tire...there was NOTHING I could do. It was VERY bad..but he didn't die immediately. He cried REAL loud, but then he died right before I was about to kill him.

I'm sorry kiddo. :( That's happened to me a time or two, once with a mink, and with birds.

Rabbits can symbolize a lot of things, but the one that sticks out to me is fear of the worst happening. ((((hugs))))

I'll be keeping you and the kids in my thoughts today.

I am sorry to hear that. It has been a while since I had an animal in my life, but I remember what it is like when your baby is suffering. Keep breathing, and be careful about making tough decisions impulsively when you are experiencing stress and grief. From my brother's testimony, those vets over there are pretty darn good. Best wishes.

I am sorry to hear that, Guardian. And hope that Hagar will be ok and will feel better soon. Hang in there.

I am sorry to hear that Guardian.

Hoping that Hagar will feel better pretty soon.

Hum, just a thought since I have no answer to offer you but could it be that the Universe is trying to tell you something with the deaths of the bird last month and now the rabbit :huh:

fwiw

Guardian,
With all that is going on around you I agree with the sentiments of Gandalf. I dunno what all this means but I hope you can Be careful, stay Alert and Aware as much as you can. I know there are others beside myself who think of you.
Al

Hi Guardian,

My best wishes for Hagar. It is hard for animal lovers going through this.

Hagar is going into surgery now. They did a radiograph and he has 2 small stones, which they say is good. If he survives the surgery there's a good chance he could make a full recovery because we caught it early and nothing ruptured.

Something's going on because she said they've had a bunch of cases of this in the last week... more than usual. Part of what causes this is a Ph imbalance, and he's really young for this to be happening.

It makes sense, the plants are being poisoned and the goats eat the poisoned plants.

I don't know what hitting the rabbit means, I agree that something's trying to tell me something...but I don't know what? It was horrible...he didn't die right away and we could hear him screaming as I turned around to get the car lights on him. I'm glad he died because his guts were out and there was nothing I could do for him but finish him off, and I didn't want to do that.

Guardian said:
He's over at the University of Tenn Vet Hospital in Knoxville with a blocked urethra.

Any idea what type of block? (Just saw your response so disregard that - yep - Ph - and I suppose poisoned plants might do it..... )

G said:
They drained his bladder and will do surgery first thing in the morning if he's ok to take it. Hilda is with him since they've never been apart and it would be too stressful for him without her. Even with the surgery, it's iffy because he is so small.

Any surgery is iffy, but don't give up hope. Depending on the type of block, you need to check/change his diet. (you probably already figured that out)

G said:

That's pretty horrific, but there was nothing you could do. At least the rabbit didn't suffer for hours and he/she is likely either already reincarnated by now or on the way. Hang in there and let us know how it goes, please.

I am so sorry to hear Hagar is sick. As a fellow animal lover, I know how you must feel. My thoughts and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I can sympathize with your feelings over the rabbit as well. It happened to me (a dog that darted out in front of my car at the last possible moment). I was devastated.

anart said:
Any surgery is iffy, but don't give up hope. Depending on the type of block, you need to check/change his diet. (you probably already figured that out)

Yeah, I'm reading up on what we can do in another window. They will know more once they get the stones out and see exactly what they're made of. This is a teaching Vet hospital, and they don't get to see this kind of surgery very often, so Hagar is getting LOTS of attention. They were actually excited about it...evidently people don't usually elect for the micro surgery and just have the goat put down due to the expense unless it's a "show goat" (I didn't even know people "showed" goats) and they said they never get to see the show goats because people take them to specialty vets (which are not available at midnight)

In a way they're kinda happy to get to do this surgery on a pygmy goat because most of them have never seen it. I was told that the doctor who's actually doing it "wrote the book" on pygmy goats and drove over from Maryville to do it.
I'm hoping the uniqueness of his case (his size, age, etc.) and all the extra attention will bode well for the little guy.

We're going back over to Tenn. this afternoon after it's done....I'm really not good with watching this kind of stuff. Nick did GREAT...that boy's going to make a wonderful Zoologist! He worked with them the whole time...but I kinda got sick when they stuck the needle in his little bladder and had to leave.

That's pretty horrific, but there was nothing you could do. At least the rabbit didn't suffer for hours and he/she is likely either already reincarnated by now or on the way. Hang in there and let us know how it goes, please.

I was just getting ready to shoot him and then he stopped screaming.

At this point I'm just trying to figure out what's going on...it seems like one thing after another. I just canceled my trip to Ocracoke Island. I was going to leave Friday and spend the week at a beach house with a bunch of friends (for my birthday) but I really can't go now. I'd just be worried about Hagar and the rest of my family the whole time anyway.

The day started yesterday with me having to go to court to evict someone. It wasn't really over money, I don't mind working with people......this person just went totally psycho on everyone here, including a resident who was 8+ months pregnant (she gave birth to a beautiful baby girl a couple days ago) The crazy tenent still has 10 days to appeal before I can get an eviction order so it's NOT very comfortable around here...and I just can't go anywhere with all this going on.

I'm disappointed 'cause I kinda wanted to say goodbye to the ocean I spent my whole life swimming in...but I guess that wasn't in the cards.

Thanks to everyone for your well wishes. I'm just sitting here waiting. They said it would take about an hour and a 1/2...and it's been longer than that already.

Guardian - I am so sorry to hear about Hagar. It is so upsetting to have our pets be ill! Hope the surgery turns out well - our prayers will be with him!

Guardian said:
I don't know what hitting the rabbit means, I agree that something's trying to tell me something...but I don't know what? It was horrible...he didn't die right away and we could hear him screaming as I turned around to get the car lights on him. I'm glad he died because his guts were out and there was nothing I could do for him but finish him off, and I didn't want to do that.

Rabbits signify a very prolific and creative generative energy - but perhaps this energy is somehow unbalanced right now or you are just so busy with everything that you aren't paying enough attention to yourself? I don't really know - these symbols are so personal!

A couple of months ago, I was witness to several squirrel suicides in the space of one week. It was very disturbing - but when I thought about how fast they run and how unconcerned they are generally for the dangers of cars, it made me think that i was running around too fast - not paying enough attention to what was happening around me. I really slowed down - especially while driving and started paying more attention to everything around me while in the car. Have not had any more occurrences since then (knock on wood!)
Aleana

Back
Top Bottom