Hay Fever

http://www.ithyroid.com/vitamin_b-12.htm
It is required for phase one detoxification of chemicals in the liver, and can help people who are allergic to sulphites, which are common food and wine additives. A study showed that vitamin B12 can effectively block most of the adverse reactions to sulphites such as hay fever, sinus, headache and bronchial spasms. B12 is required in increased amounts by those who use alcohol excessively or in liver disease.

So hay fever may be a sign that phase one detoxification isn't working.

http://www.carahealth.com/health-conditions-a-to-z/digestive-system/detox/365-phase-1-and-2-liver-detoxification-pathways60.html
Phase One - Detoxification Pathway

Phase one detoxification consists of oxidation reduction and hydrolysis. Phase one detoxification is catalysed by enzymes referred to as the cytochrome P450 enzyme group or Mixed Function Oxidase enzymes MFO. These enzymes reside on the membrane system of the liver cells (called Hepatocytes). Human liver cells possess the genetic code for many isoenzymes of P-450 whose synthesis can be induced upon exposure to specific chemicals. This provides a mechanism of protection from a wide variety of toxic chemicals.

To put it simply, this pathway converts a toxic chemical into a less harmful chemical. This is achieved by various chemical reactions (such as oxidation, reduction and hydrolysis), and during this process free radicals are produced which, if excessive, can damage the liver cells. Antioxidants (such as vitamin C and E and natural carotenoids) reduce the damage caused by these free radicals. If antioxidants are lacking and toxin exposure is high, toxic chemicals become far more dangerous.

Some may be converted from relatively harmless substances into potentially carcinogenic substances. Excessive amounts of toxic chemicals such as pesticides can disrupt the P-450 enzyme system by causing over activity or what is called 'induction' of this pathway. This will result in high levels of damaging free radicals being produced. The danger is if these reactive molecules are not further metabolised by Phase II conjugation, they may cause damage to proteins, RNA, and DNA within the cell.

Substances that may cause overactivity (or induction) of the P- 450 enzymes

Caffeine
Alcohol
Dioxin
Saturated fats
Organophosphorus pesticides
Paint fumes
Sulphonamides
Exhaust fumes
Barbiturates

The family of P-450 enzyme systems is quite diverse, with specific enzyme systems being inducible by particular drugs, toxins or metabolites. It is this characteristic that has allowed the development of special tests to check the function of the various pathways.

The Substrates (the substance acted upon by the enzyme) of cytochrome P-450 enzymes.

Theophylline
caffeine
phenacetin
acetaminophen
Lidocaine
erythromycin
cyclosporin
ketoconazole
testosterone
estradiol
cortisone
Alprenolol
bopindolol
carvedilol
metoprolol
propranolol
Amitriptyline
clomipramine
desipramine
nortriptyline
Codeine
dextrometh- orphan
ethylmorphine
4-methoxyamphetamin
Phenytoin
ibuprofen
naproxen
oxicam drugs
S-warfarin
Diazepam
hexobarbitone
imipramine
omeprazole
alcohol
chlorzoxazone
enflurane

Cofactors of P450 Phase 1 detoxification

NADH, riboflavin, niacin, magnesium, iron, certain indoles from cruciferous vegetables.

Substances that inhibit cytochrome P450

Many substances inhibit cytochrome P450. This situation can cause substantial problems as it makes toxins potentially more damaging because they remain in the body longer before detoxification.

Grapefruit

Grapefruit juice decreases the rate of elimination of drugs from the blood and has been found to substantially alter their clinical activity and toxicity. Eight ounces of grapefruit juice contains enough of the flavonoid naringenin to decrease cytochrome P450 activity by a remarkable 30%.

Curcumin

Curcumin, the compound that gives turmeric its yellow colour, is interesting because it inhibits phase I while stimulating phase II. This effect can be very useful in preventing certain types of cancer. Curcumin has been found to inhibit carcinogens, such as benzopyrene (found in grilled meat), from inducing cancer in several animal models. It appears that the curcumin exerts its anti-carcinogenic activity by lowering the activation of carcinogens while increasing the detoxification of those that are activated. Curcumin has also been shown to directly inhibit the growth of cancer cells. As most of the cancer-inducing chemicals in cigarette smoke are only carcinogenic during the period between activation by phase I and final detoxification by phase II, curcumin in the turmeric can help prevent the cancer-causing effects of tobacco.

Phase I detoxification and ageing

The activity of phase I detoxification enzymes decreases in old age. Aging also decreases blood flow through the liver, further aggravating the problem. Lack of the physical activity necessary for good circulation, combined with the poor nutrition commonly seen in the elderly, add up to a significant impairment of detoxification capacity, which is typically found in ageing individuals. {B12 becomes depleted with age and stress}

[..]
phase%201%20and%202%20detox.jpg

Toxic Overload

If the phase one and two detoxification pathways become overloaded, there will be a build up of toxins in the body. Many of these toxins are fat soluble and incorporate themselves into fatty parts of the body where they may stay for years, if not for a lifetime. The brain and the endocrine (hormonal) glands are fatty organs, and are common sites for fat-soluble toxins to accumulate. This may result in symptoms of brain dysfunction and hormonal imbalances, such as infertility, breast pain, menstrual disturbances, adrenal gland exhaustion and early menopause. Many of these chemicals (eg. pesticides, petrochemicals) are carcinogenic and have been implicated in the rising incidence of many cancers.

Bitter herbs to improve phase 1 and 2 detoxification

Bitter herbs are the corner stone of herbal medicine. A range of physiological responses occur following stimulation of the bitter receptors of the tongue. The bitter taste stimulates the specific bitter taste buds at the back of the tongue to stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system to trigger a number of reflexes. These reflexes are important to the digestive process and general health.

Specifically in relation to digestion herbal bitters;

Sialogogues – stimulate saliva to digest carbohydrates.

Orexogenics – stimulate hydrochloric acid to digest protein.

Chologogues – Stimulate bile flow to digest fats.

The stimulation of the flow of digestive juices from the exocrine glands of mouth, stomach, pancreas, duodenum and liver, aid in digestion, absorption and assimilation of foods and nutrients. There is also a very mild stimulation of endocrine activities, especially insulin and glucagon secretion by the Islets of Langerhans in the pancreas therefore used to treat of non-insulin dependent diabetes. By promoting the flow of bile, bitters assists the liver in its detoxifying capacity.

Reactions: SMM
Thank you for all this informations.

First step will be to order some of this Methyl B12 and try it for a some time to see how will it work.
Its not possible to do that MTHFR mutation test here. Its almost impossible to do more detailed blood tests here, so not to mention that MTHFR mutation test.
But i can try with the Methil B-12 and see if i will have some improvements.

I have tried many things for my Hay fever but nothing really helped. I was fine this spring and i hoped that its gone but i woke up this morning with itchy eyes, itchy and congested nose and sinuses and i`m sneezing a lot. Actually i feel so tired because i sneeze all day.
All this just happend this morning after o woke up, and i have a good night sleep.
Maybe its because of this heat wave that started 2 days ago and the warm and dry air is irritating the mucous membrane in the nose even more. I have some corticosteroid nasal spray ( fluticasone ) but i still dont want to use it. :/
I took 10 grams of Vic C since this morning but without any effect.

Konstantin said:
I have tried many things for my Hay fever but nothing really helped. I was fine this spring and i hoped that its gone but i woke up this morning with itchy eyes, itchy and congested nose and sinuses and i`m sneezing a lot. Actually i feel so tired because i sneeze all day.
All this just happend this morning after o woke up, and i have a good night sleep.
Maybe its because of this heat wave that started 2 days ago and the warm and dry air is irritating the mucous membrane in the nose even more. I have some corticosteroid nasal spray ( fluticasone ) but i still dont want to use it. :/

Sorry to hear that Konstantin. Someone I know has the same problem, she told me that taking Scutellaria root capsules (Chinese herb) has helped her. Maybe this is something you can look into as well if you haven't already. Here is some general info of the herb: Scutellaria baicalensis

I haven't tried Scutellaria root yet , but i cant find any of them here, or any other Chinese herb.
I 'll try some homeopathic remedies that i have and see what that will do.

Konstantin said:
I haven't tried Scutellaria root yet , but i cant find any of them here, or any other Chinese herb.
I 'll try some homeopathic remedies that i have and see what that will do.

Have you tried an elimination diet? Sometimes it is not something as obvious as gluten + dairy, it can be something such as eggs that is triggering the immune system.

I was surprised to see that my IgG food panel test came back positive for eggs, chocolate, pistachios, cashews, black pepper, guar gum and other items, other than gluten and dairy. I removed all the items and the inflammation went down.

An elimination diet is an excellent option as well. I think it is better than the IgG food panel test if done carefully.

Here is a food list that can be used as a guide as well:

Why isn't my brain working
https://www.sott.net/article/267780-Why-isnt-my-brain-working

I think it is excellent and coincidentally, Pashalis just recommended that book in another thread.

Hope you find symptomatic relief soon! And if you can't get a hold of the homeopathic remedy, just spray some cortisone into your nose.

I've been looking on the internet, maybe Gaby can say whether this is good or not.

"The mitigation of allergic symptoms using certain nutritional supplements, such as, quercetin, a bioflavonoid (plant pigments with anti-inflammatory effect) who particularly beneficial effect on allergic rhinitis, but it is also called natural antihistamine.
Vitamin C in high doses (1000 mg) in a complex with bioflavonoids also acts as an antihistamine, strengthens the immune system and reduces the symptoms of allergy. Other nutrients with beneficial effects on allergies and the minerals zinc and calcium. "

Take care Konstantin.

casper said:
"The mitigation of allergic symptoms using certain nutritional supplements, such as, quercetin, a bioflavonoid (plant pigments with anti-inflammatory effect) who particularly beneficial effect on allergic rhinitis, but it is also called natural antihistamine.
Vitamin C in high doses (1000 mg) in a complex with bioflavonoids also acts as an antihistamine, strengthens the immune system and reduces the symptoms of allergy. Other nutrients with beneficial effects on allergies and the minerals zinc and calcium. "

It is pretty good stuff and could relieve symptoms, but from past experience, I can attest that these are better to prevent and/or to relief the symptoms partially. Once there is a full blown reaction, I only got relief from taking an anti-histaminic pill, even if it was only one single dose. It's been years since I last took an anti-histaminic though.

When you are completely miserable with allergies, I wouldn't worry to much about taking pharmaceuticals. Usually one dose might be enough, specially if you are taking supplements and doing dietary efforts.

Nowadays, those who don't do some kind of anti-inflammatory effort are completely miserable with inflammation and allergies and even standard anti-histaminic medication doesn't work. It is truly horrifying. I always recommend some dietary reading, but it can be quite disturbing to see that people won't change their dietary habits because bread is more important than their health.

Konstantin said:

Hello Konstantin,

Sometimes ago, while I was taking Iodine, I had a identical symptoms you have now.
But then when I increased its dosage up, everything cleared, and increased energy too.

I have been battling with chronic sinus congestion all my life. It improved greatly when I gave up dairy and gluten about 8 years ago. However, after taking various antibiotics for a MRSA infection, it became much worse. I'm convinced it's a fungal infection which gained dominance once all the bacteria was killed via medications.

I had sinus surgery about a year ago, which was very helpful for a few months, but then half of the problem returned, which was the upper sinus congestion (the lower sinus drains fine due to surgery). I'm going to a chiropractor soon for a sinus manipulation since my previous chiropractor told me I have a collapsed sinus, which is apparently fairly common. A leading indicator of this is that relief can be obtained by pressing upwards the cheekbone/nose bridge area, which indeed does bring immediate relief for me.

So in my case, I've concluded that I was born with/developed structural problems (e.g. deviated septum, small lower sinus drainage outlet, collapsed sinus) which lead to conditions that fostered bacterial/fungal growth, which lead to inflammation and mucous production, which then could not drain, causing congestion. Because the congestion is always limited to my left side I don't think it's an allergic reaction primarily, even though I think certain common allergens aggravate my sinuses further at times.

I've tried so many things, but currently I take stinging nettle capsules daily to reduce inflammation. I've also begun taking 1200 mg of NAC 3 times a day which thins mucous so it drains vs. congests. Both of these are very helpful, especially the NAC (I always know it's time to take another dose because the congestion returns). The one thing which has consistently brought relief (and almost immediately) is irrigating my sinuses with colloidal silver plus a little xylitol. At alternate times, I also use a sea salt/baking soda sinus rinse as well to wash away allergens.

I took oral anti-fungal meds (Terpenatine) for 6 weeks, which completely cleared up toenail fungus, but had no effect on my sinuses. My ENT physician told me that oral anti-fungals were not very effective in the sinus area because of poor transport due to limited blood vessels there. I've been taking 10 drops of 10% Lugol's iodine solution plus 3500 mg Vit. C and 100 mg Selenium for several months, but it hasn't seemed to help my congestion much.

So it appears that topical treatments work best, which has been my experience. A recent SOTT article http://ndnr.com/bacterialviral-infections/alternative-treatment-for-chronic-sinusitis/ discussed a protocol for eliminating sinus fungal infection. That's where I learned about the NAC. He also suggested a deep sinus rinse (face in a bowl with slight nasal inhalations) using a mild dilution of iodine (1 drops per quart!).

I was about to try that, when I discovered a great product which exposes the sinuses to iodine via it "botanical oils specially treated through the exclusive J-R iodization process since 1931" The name of the product is "Ponaris", a nasal emollient "included in NASA's medical space kit".

It's manufactured by Jamol Laboratories, Inc. in Emerson, New Jersey. It specifically claims to relieve hay fever, as well as chronic rhinitis, sinusitis, epistaxis, and sinus rebound from drugs or smog. The oils used are Pine, Eucalyptus, Peppermint and Cajeput in a cottonseed oil base. Each drop contains 150 micrograms of iodine.

These drops have relieved congestion more effectively than anything else I've found. The effects are almost immediate and last for hours.

Good luck!

PS On those rare occasions when none of my regimen seems to help and I'm desperate, I will take an dose of naproxen sodium (e.g. Alleve) which reduces nasal inflammation... or if super desperate, a micro dose of dyphenhydramine (e.g. Benedryl) -- if I can afford to feel pleasantly lobotomized the next day !

Another physical method to unblock sinuses is a variation of the one mentioned by JG, but it also involves the tongue pressing flat against the hard palate. It is described here. Another variation is to actually do a 'rocking' method, by alternatively push the tongue hard against the hard palate, followed by pressure on the point between your eyebrows. This works best for me.

Today i feel little better. The outside temperaturres are much lower, maybe 10C lower and its raining all day so maybe the polen comcentration in thre air is lower.
Thank you everybody for all advices.

Usually when symptoms are very strong i took one pill of loratadine, but that drug is making me very sleepy.
Yesterday i have to put some corticosteroidal nasal drops and i felt a significant relief , so i could sleep well.
From food that my me a culpeit for some inflamation in my diet , the main suspect are eggs.I eat them every day. So i,ll try to elimunate then for a few weeks and see if there will be any changes.Beside eggs, my diet is just fats, meats and some vegetables.
So ill try with the eggs elimination first and see how will that go.

4-5 weeks ago i took antifungal medicine fluconasole. My wife had some candida problems for a long time and we decided to take that medicine together.After just a single dose her long time infection was compleatly cleared and i didnt have any reaction.
So i can exclude the fungal problems.

if sometimes symptoms are not very strong , i found that doing EE helps a lot, especially pipe breading.While doing i feel much betrer.

I also too some homeopathic Histamine 30c yesterday and combined with other medicine that i took as i described before i coul sleep well.

I'll try with egg elimination and see how will i feel.
I also noticed that since thevsummer started he have the same symptoms just not so severe as i have. He dont lukes eggs very much and he is not eating them very often.

Thank you everybody for all advices :)

Konstantin said:
4-5 weeks ago i took antifungal medicine fluconasole. My wife had some candida problems for a long time and we decided to take that medicine together.After just a single dose her long time infection was compleatly cleared and i didnt have any reaction.
So i can exclude the fungal problems.

Just the fact that oral antifungal medication did not help sinus congestion does not necessarily mean there is no fungal infection, as I mentioned in my earlier post:
JGeropoulas said:
...I took oral anti-fungal meds (Terpenatine) for 6 weeks, which completely cleared up toenail fungus, but had no effect on my sinuses. My ENT physician told me that oral anti-fungals were not very effective in the sinus area because of poor transport due to limited blood vessels there...

So it appears that topical treatments work best, which has been my experience....

Here's my best ally against Hay Fever : Sport glasses !

The trick is to find a model which press against the face like the one I attached the image. Last year I keep it even at work. My colleagues are now accustomed to see me like this :cool:
I thought about using swimming pool glasses but I don't dared :D

The real problem is the ground (the health of the body) for sure and it must be healed (vitamin C seem to help for me) but good glasses are a real quick help.

Attachments

• glasses.jpg
    glasses.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: SMM
After my last post here i decided to eliminate eggs completely from my menu. As i said i was eating them every single day.
So , after 3 weeks i lost about 3 Kg in weight and i don't have any allergy symptoms.I`ll go some more time without eggs and then i`ll try to introduce them again and see the difference.
I don't know if that is because of eggs elimination or not but i feel good. More experimentation is needed to determine the real cause.

Back
Top Bottom