Heart problems - advice appreciated

aragorn

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
It seems that the abnormalities in my heart beat that I reported in this post wasn't caused in their entirety by too high blood sugar levels. Ever since that day (18.3.) I've been experiencing my heart skipping beats. I don't have them all the time, but throughout the day these skips occur many times and it feels uncomfortable. There's also a slight feeling of pressure around the heart area and the ribs on the left side, but I'm not sure if I feel it just because I've become hypersensitive and keep 'monitoring' things. Because this has been going on for more than one day I'm starting to feel a bit concerned and I'm planning to make a doctors appointment.

The timing of this feels strange, because due to my new diet I've felt super healthy and energized. I've read that heart problems can have something to do with the electrolyte levels in the body; maybe I have a shortage of something that causes this? I take the following vitamins and minerals on a daily basis: probiotics, digestive enzymes, fish oil, magnesium, calcium, vitamin-b (combination), b12, vitamin-d, selenium, vitamin-c (ascorbic acid powder 5-10grams). There are other supplements that I take also, when I can afford them (like Solgar multivitamin, 5-htp, tyrosin), but the recent weeks I haven't taken these. The only things that are new during the last two weeks or so, are the digestive enzymes and the fact that I've increased the intake of vitamin-c. I used to take ca 5grams/day, but now I've increased it to 2 x 5g/day. Could this have something to do with my problem? I feel that there is more acid building up with this new amount of vitamin-c, can this irritate the heart somehow?

Any advice by Psyche or others are highly appreciated!

Having dealt with heart issues for some years now, I can tell you what worked for me. First, the FAR Infrared sauna - doing it faithfully - elimination of wheat and dairy and coffee and any other foods that were not on a very strict list of anti-inflammatory foods. Heart problems are, pure and simple, inflammation.

Lots of supplements, (Psyche can advise on this more specifically), but mainly things like CoQ10, fish oils, 700 mg of magnesium per day or more, etc. Vitamin E, D3, and up to 5 grams of Vitamin C every day.

Never a speck of sugar crossing my lips...

Taking 5-htp at lunch and dinner and melatonin before bed.

These are some of the main things that I still stick to though I did a WHOLE lot more at the beginning. I still take big handfuls of supplements every few days, but there are only a few (mentioned above) that I take every single day.

I was having arrythymia so bad it would go on for hours... I had fewer normal heartbeats than abnormal. Of course it started with a few abnormal and just got worse. So don't think this will just go away without drastic changes in your diet.

I have arrhythmia since half a year, mostly beginning in the evening. When it happens, my heart is skipping beats, and when it does that, there is a kind of a 'pause' where I feel that adrenalin is released. I guess this adrenalin is intended to 'jump start' the heart again. It really is unpleasant.

I found out that coffee is definitely one of the causes. And dehydration. It is definitely diet and stress caused, since some days I don't have problems at all. I'm still in the phase of experimenting what causes and cures it. I also have an allergy against grasses and rye, and I am full of hope that all of this goes away with detox and proper diet.

I'm beginning to be really strict regarding my diet -- no sugar, no coffee, no gluten, lots of water, and adding all of the supplements listed above.

My father had two strokes and four stents implanted in the last 10 years. The doctors advised him to stay off of all fats, and it didn't work even though he won't admit it. Two years ago, I consulted with Psyche, and she and I managed to convince him to start taking CoQ10, fish oils and magnesium taurate on a daily basis. Now he is doing much better! He also stopped eating gluten for the most part, and reduced the carb intake because he was almost diabetic. I think these changes can make a big difference.

Take care!

Hi Aragorn

Usually this kind of arrhythmia, actually an extrasystolia, is benign and has to do with adrenalin release. It is a common symptom of emotional disturbance and discharge. I have had this issue sporadically since I was 25 years old, along with other well known emotional related physical signs.

If there is no cardiac organic damage or pathology ( a simple eccocardiography will verify this), there is no reason to worry.

There are two kinds of extrasystolia, ventricular and supra-ventricular, depending on what part of the cardiac muscle is produced. Adrenalin disturb the cycle produced by the sinusal node (a group of cells located inside the heart) produce a more or less regular pulse whose frequency ranges between 60-100 cylces/min (the normal cardiac frequency). However, hormonal discharge such as catecolamines, norepinefrine and epinephrine, produced by the sympathic nervous center can speed up this frequency as well as produce this "jump", generally described by people like a "beat skip", called extrasystolia.

Both ventricular and supra can be the result of an emotional discharge or an excessive nervous excitation, be it related with an external factor or substance, for example, coffee, o internally connected, some personal internal emotional or stress factor.

Of course could be a connection with diet or substance you are taking; the kind of substances than can trigger this phenomena are CNS (central nervous system) exciters, example caffeine, amphetamines, and others.

There are theories that connect this extrasystoles with electrolyte levels in blood, specifically alterations in sodium/potasio/calcium/magnesium ions; if your condition has appeared with your new diet maybe could be a relation. In my case it is clearly emotional and psychosomatic, a result of emotional discharge and anxiety.

As I said, the important issue is to discard any organic problem in the heart, there are simple medical studies to check this.

Aragorn said:
The only things that are new during the last two weeks or so, are the digestive enzymes and the fact that I've increased the intake of vitamin-c. I used to take ca 5grams/day, but now I've increased it to 2 x 5g/day. Could this have something to do with my problem? I feel that there is more acid building up with this new amount of vitamin-c, can this irritate the heart somehow?

Yup,that could be a possibility,such symptoms can come by acid reflux,or better the name heartburn in the english areas.Stomach acid can be very aggressive,and this reflux mechanism can be very hidden,just at the night,so that some people see only the symptoms not the cause or feel only a inflammation in the throat area or some vague pain,maybe a chest tension or pain in the heart area through the inflammations and the muscular tensions,in some hard cases people have breathing problems or a belling cough attack through the acid reflux problem as cause.Stress can be a factor for heartburn,or a food allergy/intolerance,it gives different causes,maybe its integrated in a complex with other problems.

Do not take compounds or medicine with aluminium,in some popular quack remedys for acid reflux/heartburn you have contained traces of aluminium.And the medicine from the pharmaceutical industry is also problematic.For a acute attack you can take a little bit baking soda (NaCo3) as one good solution,so or in a glas with water, eat a banana and sleep on the left side (from your view).

I have searched for it and for what i mean,here the results:

h t t p://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartburn
h t t p://www.steadyhealth.com/connection_between_acid_reflux_and_heart_palpatations_t63731.html

Quote: "Definitely connected. Acid reflux implies upset stomach which will
stimulate the vagus nerve. This is the nerve which controls heart rate. Also
possible to get a slower beat with this problem. I have acid reflux and mild
ulceration and I experience both fast and slow heart rates regularly."

h t t p://www.medicinenet.com/gastroesophageal_reflux_disease_gerd/article.htm
h t t p://www.buzzle.com/articles/acid-reflux-and-chest-pain-it-could-already-be-a-heart-attack.html
h t t p://www.buzzle.com/articles/natural-remedies-for-acid-reflux.html

If you have the possibility for you,get Iberogast,its a german remedy and really a very good natural remedy for stomach problems.
h t t p://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16713223

Thank you all for answering so quickly. During the last two months or so I have quit coffee, dairy, gluten and been two weeks on the Ultra Simple diet. I've also done a lot of coffee enemas and FIR-sauna sessions. Maybe this is some strange whitdrawal symptom, or maybe my metabolism is adjusting causing extra acidity. The connection with acid reflux and the vagus nerve was news to me, thanks for that! I haven't felt any stress lately, in fact I don't think that Ive been this unstressed ever. I've however been doing a lot of 'body work', breathing meditation (EE), reiki treatments(doing as well as receiving). So there is maybe a lot of discharging going on under the surface.

Guess it can be a combination of many things. I'm going to be extra careful with my diet and boost up my supplementing(just bought Q10) and maybe take a break from EE and other spiritual work. It remains to be seen if this thing goes away.

Special thanks to rofo and einheri-limetree, nice to know that we have such smart new members!

It is hard to know exactly what you are experiencing and why, but I know that worrying about it will probably not help. I can share a wonderful natural remedy if you will ... up to you whether you check it out, as I know it may not be in line with the dietary revolution going on between you all.

Hawthorn Berry Leather (or syrup which I love but if you are off sugar it's no good). This remedy is from 'Hedgerow Medicine' by Julie Bruton-Seal and Matthew Seal. It's a wonderful little book. Here's the story on Hawthorn in case you are interested:

"Hawthorn is a superb heart and circulatory tonic, protecting and strengthening the heart muscle and its blood supply. It improves blood circulation around the body, and can be used to treat a wide range of circulatory problems. Hawthorn also affects the emotional side of what we think of as 'heart', by calming and reducing anxiety, helping with bad dreams and insomnia, and soothing menopausal mood swings. (not sure if you have those Aragorn! ;D).

IF YOU ARE TAKING BETABLOCKERS only use Hawthorn under supervision (important note).

Use Hawthorn for ...

Long the plant of the heart in folklore, we know now that hawthorn works in several ways as a restorative of the physical heart. It has the wonderful capacity to dilate the coronary arteries and strengthen the heart muscle without raising blood pressure or increasing the beat.

The berries, leaf and flowers can be used to treat angina, enlargement of the heart from overwork or excessive exercise, and heart damage from over-use of alcohol.

Unlike digitalis and numerous commercial preparations, hawthorn is a prophylactic with few side effects. It can - and we say should - be made part of a personal regime to forestall future problems with the heart and circulation.

Hawthorn lowers high blood pressure and helps dissolve cholesterol and calcium deposits, making it good for arteriosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries, and plaquing. When a fatty plaque comes loose from an artery wall it can rapidly lead to a blockage. If the artery involved is the coronary artery, which feeds the heart muscle, this blockage will mean a heart attack; if a plaque blocks an artery in the brain, it will cause a stroke. Arteries anywhere in the body can be affected, but problems often go unnoticed.

Hawthorn is also an effective treatment for intermittent claudication, where the blood vessels of the legs aren't supplying enough oxygen to the muscles, resulting in pain on walking. Similar conditions, such as Buerger's disease and Raynaud's disease, also benefit from hawthorn's gentle effects.

Hawthorn enhances the functioning of the heart and circulation during exercise, and taken in moderation can improve athletic performance. Also, the flavinoid compounds called procyanidins found throughout the plant help normalise blood pressure. So if blood pressure is too high, hawthorn will lower it, and if too low, it will stimulate the heart rate and raise it.

Taking hawthorn calms the spirit, and gives good results in menopausal mood swings, restlessness and anxiety; it will quieten overactive children who have ADHD.

Hawthorn combines well with yarrow when there is constriction of the blood vessels and a risk of thrombosis or clotting. As a general heart and circulatory tonic, it is used alongside ramsons or garlic, and ginger. If the circulation needs stimulating, take it with horse raddish. To improve peripheral circulation of the limbs, use hawthorn with lime blossom."

Okay, that's what the book says about hawthorn. If you are interested, I can type up the recipes for making the syrup, leather and a tincture recipe is also in the book. Or you could Amazon for it, and buy the book.

Bear in mind that hawthorn is native to the UK, but there are mail order herbal suppliers on the net that it can be purchased from. I am lucky, I just go out and ask the trees and they are usually happy to be used in this way. It's a beautiful communication with Nature, to walk and harvest and be nurtured by the Earth and the plants and trees.

Also, hawthorn berry syrup tastes just like rhubarb and custard!!! One teaspoon a day for as long as I think of it, or drizzle it over something else that's yummy, like baked apples (hehe).

Let me know if you would like the recipes, and try not to worry.

Chiming in a bit late, I just want to echo people's advice. The supplements that Laura listed are basically it. Fish oil, CoQ10, plenty of magnesium, etc They all help to stabilize the heart's rhythm. Also the dietary and detox advice given. A magnesium bath and taking some potassium supplementation will also help (stick with the label instructions for the potassium). See if some pipe breathing helps as well when this happens. Also, coffee enemas aren't supposed to do it, but in rare cases, people report palpitations with them. This could also be due to the toxins released, so that is why having a lot of fiber seems to relieve it. You can get some psyllium husks to make sure you're having extra fiber in your diet.

Laura said:
Having dealt with heart issues for some years now, I can tell you what worked for me. First, the FAR Infrared sauna - doing it faithfully - elimination of wheat and dairy and coffee and any other foods that were not on a very strict list of anti-inflammatory foods. Heart problems are, pure and simple, inflammation.

Lots of supplements, (Psyche can advise on this more specifically), but mainly things like CoQ10, fish oils, 700 mg of magnesium per day or more, etc. Vitamin E, D3, and up to 5 grams of Vitamin C every day.

Never a speck of sugar crossing my lips...

Taking 5-htp at lunch and dinner and melatonin before bed.

These are some of the main things that I still stick to though I did a WHOLE lot more at the beginning. I still take big handfuls of supplements every few days, but there are only a few (mentioned above) that I take every single day.

I was having arrythymia so bad it would go on for hours... I had fewer normal heartbeats than abnormal. Of course it started with a few abnormal and just got worse. So don't think this will just go away without drastic changes in your diet.

Exactly. I too have had arrhythmia my entire life, actually, starting in middle school. With the daily magnesium and diet changes and sauna, I get it very rarely now, though it does still occur from time to time. I think magnesium is key, though the other measures are important as well. With that said, if you are experiencing pronounced pain, then don't hesitate to see a doctor.

Hi All,

Time of day Aragorn. I noticed a couple of things in your regimen, that I'd consider are missing from your list.

I take the following vitamins and minerals on a daily basis: probiotics, digestive enzymes, fish oil, magnesium, calcium, vitamin-b (combination), b12, vitamin-d, selenium, vitamin-c (ascorbic acid powder 5-10 grams). There are other supplements..

A biggy in my opinion - Vitamin E which Laura mentioned and DHEA. The ladder helps promote healthy mood and immune function and E for cardiovascular health (according to the labels). I even find garlic oil in the mix seems to be of service as well.

Another thing that comes to mind is, are you excitable? That's kind of where the DHEA helps. Also what is the form of Magnesium your using? I have an intolerance for Magnesium Citrate. Causes me numbness in the left arm and pain in my neck (lymph node-left side). Your B-complex likely has the b12, from the looks of what you wrote. I found a way to get past my mag problem by forcing it into my diet (buckwheat honey, flakes and noodles) instead of taking a pill.

Anyhow I started writing this with the thought of MORE essential oils! but, by all means I'm nowhere near expert, just finally at the point where I'm picking, choosing and feeling my way around in nutrition. I believe you'll strike up a balance. Best of luck to you!

Edit: I'd also like to mirror what Maundy suggested. In the past I'd start getting palpitations and my wife would put me on a Hawthorn berry -or root- extract regimen and the symptoms would fly!

Seems like I'm certainly not alone with this problem. It's true that I haven't taken any vitamin-E supplements, maybe I should include that as well. And more fiber sounds like a wise thing to do.

Btw, what is the recommended dosage of Q10? I bought this product that has 100mg per capsule, and on the package it says one should take one per day.

Yes, the Hawthorn is something else I used and forgot to mention. I don't use it so much anymore because I don't seem to need it. I would also suggest that maybe the coffee can be stopped for a period or used only occasionally and maybe weaker solution?

Aragorn said:
Btw, what is the recommended dosage of Q10? I bought this product that has 100mg per capsule, and on the package it says one should take one per day.

I think that's correct. On an empty stomach in the morning.

Also, magnesium taurate is supposed to be specially good for heart problems.

Magnesium taurate is a chelated magnesium, made up of two compounds and is absorbed better than other types of magnesium. Also, this particular amino acid has less of a laxative effect on the intestines then the more common forms of magnesium citrate, like Milk of Magnesia. Magnesium taurate is usually recommended for people with heart problems and may prevent arrythmias and also protect the heart against damage caused by heart attacks, according to Carolyn Dean, M.D., N.D.

Here are some interesting reviews from people who bought MT:
http://www.amazon.com/Cardiovascular-Research-Magnesium-Taurate-capsules/dp/B000OP5N12

After experiencing abnormal heartbeats, tightness in the chest, anxiety, restricted breathing and sleep difficulties, my doctor diagnosed magnesium deficiency. I tried various magnesium supplements and finally settled on magnesium taurate. It gets the best results for me with less diarrhea than other products.

I was having bad chest pains, either from mitral valve prolapse or anxiety (doctors weren't sure what was causing it) Either way, after taking this my chest pains have vanished. It's great, and it doesn't give you the runs!

That's they type of magnesium that Psyche recommended to my dad, but I suppose that any kind or a combination of taurate and malate will still be good for you. Psyche probably has more precise indications to give you.

Aragorn said:
Seems like I'm certainly not alone with this problem. It's true that I haven't taken any vitamin-E supplements, maybe I should include that as well. And more fiber sounds like a wise thing to do.

One is good, you can take two as well, as sometimes the CoQ10 is difficult to absorb.

Magnesium in general is an excellent supplement (the miracle mineral). Special forms may help in different problems, for example magnesium malate is a good one for fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue problems. Magnesium taurate is recommended for people with heart problems. It seems that the amino acid taurine is important for hearth health and may prevent arrythmias and protect the heart against the damage caused by heart attacks. Taurine is also the supplement recommended in the mercury detox, to help with the detox reactions.

I think that diluting the coffee more or stopping it for a week or so is worth experimenting, while incorporating the other dietary and supplements, and the fiber as well. If the palpitations stop you can then re-start with a lower concentration of coffee as a test and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom