Heart problems - advice appreciated

Aragorn said:
Btw, what is the recommended dosage of Q10? I bought this product that has 100mg per capsule, and on the package it says one should take one per day.

During a naturopathy class I took the instructor said that for heart troubles one should take at least 1mg per pound of body weight. As Dr. Psyche said, you can take two 100mg caps assuming you don't weigh over 200lbs.

According to Louise Hay, Heart represents the center of love and security.

Problems: Long standing emotional problems. Lack of joy. Hardening of the heart. Belief in strain and stress.

Hi Jasmine,

I'd like to encourage you to post an intro in the newbies section. It doesn't have to be long, just a little about yourself and how you found the forum.

I'm happy to tell you that the irregularities of my heart beat are almost gone, for now. I've been taking (in addition to the usual supplements) 200mg of Q10(the capsules also contain vitamin-E) and up to 1200mg of magnesium citrate-up to the point that my stomach went crazy(loose). I have lowered the dose now. I'm also having a break doing any coffee enemas and taking more than 1g of ascorbic acid. Letting things settle...

Another interesting aspect, conserning the diminishing of my symptoms, is the emotional release that's been going on the whole week. I had a therapy session with my reiki/'body awareness' teacher on monday; he said that he had felt during our training weekend (the previous two days we continued our trainig course in bioenergetics/body awareness) that some deep underlying and slow "pulses" of change were taking place in my body. He felt like the best action to take would be craniosacral therapy. And so, on Monday he performed this, to me less familiar form of therapy/treatment. I couldn't feel any big immediate effects after the treatment, but the following days things sure started to open up. Things from my past have leaked to the surface the whole week. I have a sense of having accessed a deeper 'current of life' where I sense more what's going on around me, but at the same time feeling more like a 'stranger' in crowded and lively places. I feel like my emotions are much more accessible and doing the EE is much more effective now. Guess I had a dam that had to be blown open.

Well, whatever the reason is for my heart to "lighten up" I'm grateful and ready to get back on track. Many thanks for the help you have given on this subject!

Wohoo! That's excellent news Aragorn! I hope you continue to open that dam and dealing with the roots of the problem. Perhaps these health issues were a wake up call for you to take all the necessary steps, as you did, and therefore this led you to more emotional healing.

:thup:

Aragorn said:
I'm happy to tell you that the irregularities of my heart beat are almost gone, for now. I've been taking (in addition to the usual supplements) 200mg of Q10(the capsules also contain vitamin-E) and up to 1200mg of magnesium citrate-up to the point that my stomach went crazy(loose). I have lowered the dose now. I'm also having a break doing any coffee enemas and taking more than 1g of ascorbic acid. Letting things settle...

Another interesting aspect, conserning the diminishing of my symptoms, is the emotional release that's been going on the whole week. I had a therapy session with my reiki/'body awareness' teacher on monday; he said that he had felt during our training weekend (the previous two days we continued our trainig course in bioenergetics/body awareness) that some deep underlying and slow "pulses" of change were taking place in my body. He felt like the best action to take would be craniosacral therapy. And so, on Monday he performed this, to me less familiar form of therapy/treatment. I couldn't feel any big immediate effects after the treatment, but the following days things sure started to open up. Things from my past have leaked to the surface the whole week. I have a sense of having accessed a deeper 'current of life' where I sense more what's going on around me, but at the same time feeling more like a 'stranger' in crowded and lively places. I feel like my emotions are much more accessible and doing the EE is much more effective now. Guess I had a dam that had to be blown open.

Well, whatever the reason is for my heart to "lighten up" I'm grateful and ready to get back on track. Many thanks for the help you have given on this subject!

That is great news Aragorn! :thup:

JasmineAdams said:
CoQ10 supplements and fish oil work great for me. A few years ago, my reports showed high cholesterol and triglyceride levels. I also had fluctuating blood pressure. I didn’t want to start on medication straightaway. I wanted to see whether I could control these levels through diet and exercise and natural supplements. I take CoQ10 Matrix which has the Ubiquinol form of CoQ10 which is eight times more active than Ubiquinone. I also take a fish oil supplement called Triple Strength Omega 3 – it contains pharmaceutical grade fish oil – no contaminants. You should be careful to choose a quality supplement so that it gives you the best results.

I went to the eye doctor a few weeks ago, she diagnosed me with dry eyes, did the test where she put a piece of paper in each eye and I had to sit with my eyes closed for five minutes, and she measured the tear content from the marks on the paper. "Normal" is around 10, and I was a 5. She of course wanted to pump me full of cortisone eye drops for a couple months, and then that Restasis stuff that I'd need to use twice a day the rest of my life.

I refused, so she said I could try fish oil, and recommended Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega as it has a higher amount of EPAs.

Mrs. Peel said:
I went to the eye doctor a few weeks ago, she diagnosed me with dry eyes, did the test where she put a piece of paper in each eye and I had to sit with my eyes closed for five minutes, and she measured the tear content from the marks on the paper. "Normal" is around 10, and I was a 5. She of course wanted to pump me full of cortisone eye drops for a couple months, and then that Restasis stuff that I'd need to use twice a day the rest of my life.

I refused, so she said I could try fish oil, and recommended Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega as it has a higher amount of EPAs.

That's interesting, because my eye doctor recommended flax seed oil for my dry eyes. She said fish oil would work as well, but in her experience women usually benefit more from flax seed oil while her male patients benefit more from fish oil. She did admit that she didn't know why this was so, but it's just how it has worked out with her patients - though either oil will help. Any time I run out of flax seed oil and don't have it for a few days, my eyes get dry again - so I think you made the right decision on the oil and avoiding the cortisone!!

Omega 3 oils are crucial and I still don't think I get enough, taking 6000mg a day.

anart said:
That's interesting, because my eye doctor recommended flax seed oil for my dry eyes. She said fish oil would work as well, but in her experience women usually benefit more from flax seed oil while her male patients benefit more from fish oil. She did admit that she didn't know why this was so, but it's just how it has worked out with her patients - though either oil will help. Any time I run out of flax seed oil and don't have it for a few days, my eyes get dry again - so I think you made the right decision on the oil and avoiding the cortisone!!

Omega 3 oils are crucial and I still don't think I get enough, taking 6000mg a day.

Well, I take flax oil in my morning shake, but I usually don't do the shake on weekends, and the doc said it's important to take the fish oil every day. 6000 mg a day? The Nordic Naturals are only 600. I'm gonna have to take a handful! Gah, those are huge suckers too! ;D

No wonder I had a problem with contacts back when I could still wear them (before bifocals!), they always hurt because my eyes were dry.

I think that part of the problem is that we simply do not eat enough fats of the right kind in general. Baker has a whole section on fats and what they do and how they do it in his book "Detoxification and Healing," and it sure has changed my views on fats in general!

Hi Aragorn

From a metaphysical perspective, this may help or not.

Lise Bourbeau in Your body’s telling you: Love yourself! said:
ARRHYTHMIA
If you suffer from arrhythmia, or irregular heartbeat, see HEART DISORDERS but with this nuance: it is likely that you are irregular in your attitude. Enjoyment is at a high then it’s low. Why can’t it always be at a high? What would happen? Don’t forget, you must first accept what you are before transformation can take place.

HEART DISORDERS
EMOTIONAL BLOCK
… If you are having heart trouble, you probably tend t take everything to heart, or to take things far too seriously. You are not allowing for the proper flow in your life, whether it’s the flow of ideas, of love or of your very lifeblood. You are fighting the current of your life to the point of physical and emotional exhaustion. You tend to deny your own needs and fulfil other people’s needs in order to be loved. You seek love through what you do for others. The main message associated with any heart condition is LOVE YOURSELF!
MENTAL BLOCK
Heart disease is an urgent message from your body to change your perception of yourself. There is a need for self-validation. Fill the wellspring of love within you by changing your belief that love can come only from others. Give yourself the love you seek and it will always be there; you won’t have to search for it.

Get in touch with your self-worth step by step. Begin by giving yourself ten compliments a day until you begin to believe them. You are unique and very special, yet your low self-esteem does not allow you to keep some of your goodness to yourself. Become whole emotionally and spiritually and your heart will heal as you begin to nurture it.

Healthy heart no longer fears being unloved. It is able to cope with disappointment, as nothing can disturb its equilibrium. You will continue to nurture others because you want to, not because you need to prove to yourself and others that you are lovable.

Laura said:
I think that part of the problem is that we simply do not eat enough fats of the right kind in general. Baker has a whole section on fats and what they do and how they do it in his book "Detoxification and Healing," and it sure has changed my views on fats in general!

Looks like others are coming around to the same conclusion:

Carbs against Cardio: More Evidence that Refined Carbohydrates, not Fats, Threaten the Heart

Eat less saturated fat: that has been the take-home message from the U.S. government for the past 30 years. But while Americans have dutifully reduced the percentage of daily calories from saturated fat since 1970, the obesity rate during that time has more than doubled, diabetes has tripled, and heart disease is still the country’s biggest killer. Now a spate of new research, including a meta-analysis of nearly two dozen studies, suggests a reason why: investigators may have picked the wrong culprit. Processed carbohydrates, which many Americans eat today in place of fat, may increase the risk of obesity, diabetes and heart disease more than fat does—a finding that has serious implications for new dietary guidelines expected this year.

In March the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published a meta-analysis—which combines data from several studies—that compared the reported daily food intake of nearly 350,000 people against their risk of developing cardiovascular disease over a period of five to 23 years. The analysis, overseen by Ronald M. Krauss, director of atherosclerosis research at the Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, found no association between the amount of saturated fat consumed and the risk of heart disease.

The finding joins other conclusions of the past few years that run counter to the conventional wisdom that saturated fat is bad for the heart because it increases total cholesterol levels. That idea is “based in large measure on extrapolations, which are not supported by the data,” Krauss says.

One problem with the old logic is that “total cholesterol is not a great predictor of risk,” says Meir Stampfer, a professor of nutrition and epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health. Although saturated fat boosts blood levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol, it also increases “good” HDL cholesterol. In 2008 Stampfer co-authored a study in the New England Journal of Medicine that followed 322 moderately obese individuals for two years as they adopted one of three diets: a low-fat, calorie-restricted diet based on American Heart Association guidelines; a Mediterranean, restricted-calorie diet rich in vegetables and low in red meat; and a low-carbohydrate, nonrestricted-calorie diet. Although the subjects on the low-carb diet ate the most saturated fat, they ended up with the healthiest ratio of HDL to LDL cholesterol and lost twice as much weight as their low-fat-eating counterparts.

Stampfer’s findings do not merely suggest that saturated fats are not so bad; they indicate that carbohydrates could be worse. A 1997 study he co-authored in the Journal of the American Medical Association evaluated 65,000 women and found that the quintile of women who ate the most easily digestible and readily absorbed carbohydrates—that is, those with the highest glycemic index—were 47 percent more likely to acquire type 2 diabetes than those in the quintile with the lowest average glycemic-index score. (The amount of fat the women ate did not affect diabetes risk.) And a 2007 Dutch study of 15,000 women published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology found that women who were overweight and in the quartile that consumed meals with the highest average glycemic load, a metric that incorporates portion size, were 79 percent more likely to develop coronary vascular disease than overweight women in the lowest quartile. These trends may be explained in part by the yo-yo effects that high glycemic-index carbohydrates have on blood glucose, which can stimulate fat production and inflammation, increase overall caloric intake and lower insulin sensitivity, says David Ludwig, director of the obesity program at Children’s Hospital Boston.

Will the more recent thinking on fats and carbs be reflected in the 2010 federal Dietary Guidelines for Americans, updated once every five years? It depends on the strength of the evidence, explains Robert C. Post, deputy director of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion. Findings that “have less support are put on the list of things to do with regard to more research.” Right now, Post explains, the agency’s main message to Americans is to limit overall calorie intake, irrespective of the source. “We’re finding that messages to consumers need to be short and simple and to the point,” he says. Another issue facing regulatory agencies, notes Harvard’s Stampfer, is that “the sugared beverage industry is lobbying very hard and trying to cast doubt on all these studies.”

Nobody is advocating that people start gorging themselves on saturated fats, tempting as that may sound. Some monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, such as those found in fish and olive oil, can protect against heart disease. What is more, some high-fiber carbohydrates are unquestionably good for the body. But saturated fats may ultimately be neutral compared with processed carbs and sugars such as those found in cereals, breads, pasta and cookies.

“If you reduce saturated fat and replace it with high glycemic-index carbohydrates, you may not only not get benefits—you might actually produce harm,” Ludwig argues. The next time you eat a piece of buttered toast, he says, consider that “butter is actually the more healthful component.”

Back
Top Bottom