Heatwave with a global grip

The last couple of years it's warmer (hotter ?) than usual here (The Netherlands) as well. We're about to enter a second heatwave in a short period of time...

What I did notice these last couple of years is that the sunlight is becoming brighter than I can remember it has been. Do other people notice this as well?

Irini: I don't know if it's true or not. But I am not jumping. Too hot for that! ;)

Heat Wave Broils Much of Nation

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060717/D8ITVO480.html

Jul 17, 5:06 PM (ET)

By NAHAL TOOSI

NEW YORK (AP) - Broiling temperatures in the 90s and beyond gripped large swaths of the country Monday, sending people scrambling for the shade and prompting officials to open air-conditioned buildings and take to the streets to rescue the homeless and elderly.

On the streets of New York, a spot in the shade competed with a parking space as a valuable commodity. Men and women made their way under narrow awnings, lounged under trees and took breaks beneath the umbrellas of hot dog stands.

"Any walking around today and you are just burning up," said Elia Escuerdo, 37, from the Bronx. "I'm giving up. I had a doctor's appointment, but I'm just going home to sit near my air conditioner."

The temperature reached 94 in the city, with a heat index - meaning the combined effects of heat and humidity - of 99.

The heat may have caused a New York subway train to lose power, stranding commuters for about 2 1/2 hours. About 70 people had to be evacuated. Transit spokesman Charles Seaton said the power loss may have been caused when the "third rail" - which powers the train - buckled.

In Illinois, state officials made more than 130 office buildings available as cooling centers. Detroit cranked up the air conditioning in 11 of its libraries and invited the public to take refuge from the heat. In Kentucky, Louisville officials offered free fans or air conditioners to those in immediate need.

There were no immediate reports of any heat-related deaths on Monday. On Saturday, a 3-year-old boy died in South Bend, Ind., after apparently locking himself inside a car in 90-degree heat, relatives and neighbors said.

Fierce heat blanketed the nation from the southern Plains to the Northeast. Hays, Kan., topped 100 by early afternoon, and temperatures were likely to exceed 105 through the middle of the week. Oklahoma City hit 102.

The Northeast could get a break starting Tuesday night, with scattered showers and thunderstorms expected for parts of the region, but the heat was likely to persist in the southern Plains until Friday, according to the National Weather Service.

At the nonprofit Bishop Sullivan Center in Kansas City, Mo., officials passed out window air conditioners to the elderly.

"It's just oppressive some of the houses you walk into," said center director Tom Turner. He recalled one woman who was "just dripping with sweat. I thought she had been doing yard work or something, but her house was just that hot."

In Cleveland, Tony Godel was already sweating through his brown T-shirt by 10 a.m. Monday as he worked on a remodeling project at a hotel in Cleveland. He planned to drink a lot of water.

"You get used to it after a while," Godel said. "You know what you're getting into. You're paid to deal with it."

Calls also went out for electricity conservation. PJM Interconnection, which operates the electric grid for all or part of 13 states and the District of Columbia, asked people to reduce usage, especially between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.

The Philadelphia Corporation for Aging set up a telephone "heatline," with nurses available to answer questions about coping with the heat.

The city Health Department sent outreach workers to help the homeless and elderly, just as it does during bitterly cold weather. Managing Director Pedro Ramos said workers would help them avoid dehydration and find shelter.

In Chicago, the stifling weather prompted organizers of the Gay Games to deliver extra water and sports drinks to various events. Spokesman Kevin Boyer said organizers asked competitors to bring extra ice and fluids to their events.

In New York City, the record for the date was set in 1953, when Central Park recorded 100 degrees. On Monday, the mercury had reached 90 before noon.

The line at the Empire State Building was short - only 15 minutes to the top. In summer months, tourists wait more than two hours.

Annelisa Leite, 17, said she and a friend did not want to wait around in the heat to get a glimpse of the city from on high.

"We went to Macy's instead," said Leite, who was visiting from Brazil. "It was too hot to stand in line, even if the line was short."

The federal government reported last week that the first half of 2006 was the warmest in the United States since record keeping began in 1895. The average temperature for the 48 contiguous United States from January through June was 51.8 degrees, or 3.4 degrees above average for the 20th century.

Sweltering heat to persist until weekend

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060718/ap_on_re_us/heat_wave_29

By JOANN LOVIGLIO, Associated Press Writer

PHILADELPHIA - The heat wave that has gripped most of the nation showed few signs of abating Tuesday and may persist for some regions until the weekend.

Temperatures predicted to soar past 100 degrees in parts of the Plains, Great Basin, Desert Southwest and California Valley. And a cold front on track to push southeastward through the Northeast, northern Mid-Atlantic and Ohio Valley, brings a slight risk of severe thunderstorms, some with large hail and damaging winds.

But it is the stagnant, sticky, downright dense heat that blanketed much of the northeast that has residents such as Philadelphia's Cheryl Kennedy worried.

"Insanity. Insanity!" she said.

After a long sip from her bottled water, Kennedy added, "This is not fit for human beings. Without air conditioning, I don't think many of us could last like this for too long."

She and millions of Americans may have no choice.

Scores of communities Monday reported temperatures of more than 100 degrees: Redding, Calif., about 160 miles north of Sacramento, reached 110 degrees; Grand Junction in western Colorado hit 101; Russell, Kan., hit 108; The National Weather Service had a report of 120 degrees just outside Usta in northwest South Dakota.

The Northeast could get a break starting Tuesday night, with scattered showers and thunderstorms expected for parts of the region, but the heat was likely to persist in the southern Plains until Friday, according to the National Weather Service.

A 60-year-old woman was found dead of lung disease and heat stress in her Philadelphia home. In Arkansas, authorities blamed the heat for at least one death but did not release any details. On Saturday, a 3-year-old boy died in South Bend, Ind., after apparently locking himself inside a car in 90-degree heat.

The heat may have caused a New York subway train to lose power, stranding commuters for about 2 1/2 hours. About 70 people had to be evacuated. A transit spokesman said the power loss may have been caused when the "third rail" - which powers the train - buckled.

A train derailment in rural Oklahoma's Lincoln County on Monday afternoon might have been attributable to the heat, Highway Patrol Captain Stewart Meyer said. There were no injuries.

One of LaGuardia International Airport's four terminals and part of a second lost power in New York when high demand caused by the heat triggered equipment problems.

In Illinois, state officials made more than 130 office buildings available as cooling centers. Detroit cranked up the air conditioning in 11 of its libraries and invited the public to take refuge from the heat. In Kentucky, Louisville officials offered free fans or air conditioners to those in immediate need.

The heat pushed power consumption to a record in some states, and calls also went out for electricity conservation. California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger ordered state offices to adjust thermostats and turn off nonessential lights for the rest of the week.

PJM Interconnection, which operates the electric grid for all or part of 13 states and the District of Columbia, asked people to reduce usage, especially between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.

In Chicago, the stifling weather prompted organizers of the Gay Games to deliver extra water and sports drinks to athletes. Spokesman Kevin Boyer said organizers asked competitors to bring extra ice and fluids to various events.

For some, the heat was a bonanza. Rick Boaz, owner of Oklahoma City AC Rescue, said his air conditioning installation and repair business is busier than ever.

"We're getting more business than we can handle - it's just the heat," Boaz said. "I'd hate for the heat to affect my business but the reality of it is, extreme temperatures drive my business."

At the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden, gorillas got frozen fruit treats, bears played with ice-covered fish, elephants were hosed down, and large fans, water sprinklers and kiddie pools helped other animals stay cool.

Health officials warned people to take precautions, such as never leaving children or pets in closed vehicles, wearing lightweight, loose clothing and drinking plenty of fluids.

Signs of heat exhaustion include complaints of weakness and of feeling faint, plus dizziness, nausea, headache and confusion. Sufferers should be moved to a cooler place and cooled down with fluid and wet cloths. Construction worker Chuck Trautman, 54, of Pittsburgh, spends his days outdoors working with a blow torch and wearing heavy protective gear.

"When you're burning with that torch, it makes it twice as hot," he said. "But you've just got to deal with it."

I live in Southern Illinois, sometimes referred to as little Egypt. This region is located between two major rivers, so people who live in this region are accustomed to humidity. We are also accustomed to below freezing temps and major snow drifts and icy conditions in the winter. I have not experienced a 'southern Illinois winter' in ten years; our winters have become warmer and warmer. Due to this warm winter trend, we now have major mosquito problems (West Nile), ticks (Rocky Mountain spotted fever), and this year our region has a new guest to add to the disturbing crowd- Japanese Beetles. The Beetles not only swarm and bite but also they devourer any and all foliage. Our region prior to this summer experiences a very steady wind or breeze which with shade keeps the heat and humidity at bay until late July into August. After late July the A/C is switched on. Now I have read anything and everything on global warming. But it just didn't click in my obstinate brain until this sweltering week. I switched on the A/C last week thinking that I'm getting old and soft, I was raised without A/C.
So today, it rains. Not a nice crop refreshing rain but an angry hot storm which lasted a whole two hours. So now I sit indoors. Outside it is 100 degrees (heat index) my flowers, garden, trees and rose bush are completely denuded of their greenery- care of the beetles, the crops of soy beans in the distance are on the verge of drought. If I squint my eyes I can see heat waves swirling over an open plain and all I can think of right this moment is that we were forewarned well, enough of this, my writing in support of Laura's observations in my mind is not DOING. I'm going to leave and get in my air conditioned car to go to the neighorbors house to see if he is ok. He does not have A/C and cannot afford A/C (or so he tells me). Maybe its just luck that I'm married to an electrician and I'm a collector of odds and ends -two window A/C units squirreled away in the barn, sitting for about two years-sorry a good deal at a yard sale. I realize giving an a/c and installation away is only a quick fix to a real condition which will only worsen but I see it as DOING in the here and now.

Irini said:
I saw this in the news in my country and then i searched and found it today on the internet:

http://www.worldjumpday.org/

These german scientists decided somehow (!) that if 600 million people of the western hemisphere jumb at the same time on July 20, they could shift earth's orbit in order to "stop global warming, extend daytime hours and create a more homogenous climate".

The site is difficult to read and there's no evidence of their "research" to prove that they know what they are doing. I hope it is a joke, because it sounds so stupid to me, to change the orbit of the earth! For any reason! What if they really do change it? The orbit of the earth is dependent upon the position and movement of all other planetary bodies in our solar system, and i believe that they should let earth do her thing!

Did anyone else hear of this? !!! Please tell me it's a joke!
I've seen this titled as: "If everybody Jumped At The Same Time In China." Only thing was it suggested we could 'jump' out of our orbit and go elsewhere in the solar system, (with all the associated problems).

Perhaps if someone could convince 600 million people to run counter to the Earth's rotation-they could stop it or slow it down...with out any proof to back up their premise, it might as well be a joke.

Scramble to save lives as heatwave hits Europe

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyid=2006-07-19T165309Z_01_L19665389_RTRUKOC_0_US-WEATHER-EUROPE.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

By Kate Holton

LONDON (Reuters) - European governments scrambled to save lives in record high temperatures on Wednesday to avoid a repeat of the catastrophic heatwave of 2003 that killed 15,000 people in France and 2,000 in Britain.

In Britain, temperatures hit an all-time high for the month of July, touching 36.3 degrees Centigrade (97.34 Fahrenheit) south of London to edge out the previous record set in 1911.

Germany's national meteorological service said July was on the way to being the hottest since records began in many parts of the country.

In France, an 85-year-old man admitted to hospital and an 81-year-old woman found dead in her home were the first people believed to have died there because of the heat. Officials said nine people were believed to have died.

"We must be vigilant and still more vigilant," said French Health Minister Xavier Bertrand. "And pay more attention to the vulnerable and those who live alone."

Britain launched an emergency plan of extra visits to the elderly and vulnerable. British bookmakers stopped taking bets temperatures would soar above 100 degrees Fahrenheit (37.77C) for only the second time -- the first was in August 2003.

The searing heat and expected storms later in the week threatened to damage northern Europe's wheat crop just days before the harvest, especially hitting Germany and France.

Electricity grids were straining. In Britain the national grid warned that blackouts could be possible because of increased demand from air conditioners.

France's main electricity provider EDF said it had to buy power abroad. Not only did demand rise, but the company had to curtail production to maintain safety at nuclear power plants cooled by river water.

The mayor of Paris announced free residential parking and advised people to avoid motorized transport to reduce the danger of ozone pollution.

EXTRA WATER

At Buckingham Palace, officials laid on extra water for 8,000 guests at a garden party for military veterans after several guests at a similar palace event fainted on Tuesday.

"There is shade for them, all the marquees are used, there's lots of helpers on hand for any guests who may feel unwell," a palace spokesman said.

The House of Commons issued a special "shirt-sleeve order" allowing journalists covering Britain's parliament to break with convention and enter the chamber without a jacket.

In the Netherlands, organizers canceled a four-day walking event after two participants died of the heat on Tuesday. Firefighters handed out water to drivers stuck in traffic jams.

Police said a 14-year-old boy in central England drowned in a canal after he jumped in to cool off.

In Ireland, firefighters battled a gorse blaze close to a beach south of Dublin on Tuesday after temperatures pushed above 30 degrees Centigrade for the first time in more than a decade.

Newspapers tried to help people cool off. Germany's biggest-selling daily Bild published a list of the coolest places in Berlin, including the fish counter at the Karstadt department store and the penguin house at the zoo.

Heat records topple in England
Across Europe, mercury on the rise

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&pubid=968163964505&cid=1153305967509&col=968705899037&call_page=TS_Canada&call_pageid=968332188774&call_pagepath=News/Canada

Jul. 19, 2006. 10:13 AM
LAURA-CLAIRE CORSON
ASSOCIATED PRESS

LONDON - Judges removed their wigs inside the courts. Guards at Buckingham Palace were allowed to stand in the shade. Some workers wore shorts to the office.

Britain was facing its hottest day on record Wednesday - so hot even the pavement melted on the roadways.

Though other spots in Europe sizzled in similar temperatures, this is a country ill-equipped for its infrequent brushes with temperatures nearing 37 C and beyond.

Commuters facing journeys on London's Underground railways without air conditioning seemed particularly troubled, with London's Evening Standard measuring temperatures at 47 C.

"I don't even want to talk about it," said Jean Thurgood of east London, fanning herself frantically during her early morning commute on a stuffy bus. "It feels like the hottest day of the century."

Across Europe, health officials and other leaders warned people to stay out of the sun and to drink plenty of water. French President Jacques Chirac urged people to be cautious.

Likely victims of the heat in France included two people in their 80s who died Tuesday in the Bordeaux region, as well as a 53-year-old construction worker who collapsed in the central city of Macon. In Spain, two people died during a heat wave that has seen temperatures climb above 40 C.

In Belgium, temperatures were predicted to hit 37 C.

In the Netherlands, the Nijmegen Four-Day March was cancelled after two participants died in the extreme heat. Some 300 people taking part in the popular walk became ill Tuesday in temperatures close to 35 C and 30 people were hospitalized.

In Britain, many people simply sought shelter indoors as the mercury rose. Shortly after 11 a.m. local time, temperatures in London had already risen to 29 C.

Sancha Lancaster, spokeswoman for Britain's primary weather forecaster the Meteorological Office, said that by late afternoon temperatures west of London could eclipse the current record of 38.5 C in Faversham, Kent, on Aug. 10, 2003.

The average temperature in southeastern England in July is 21.2 C - and that figure has been the nighttime temperature the past few days.

"There's no air conditioning anywhere, it seems," said 24-year-old Australian Mark Jones, who is living in London this summer. "In Australia, we're used to this, but here, a lot of people don't even have fans."

City officials took extra precautions to protect people from the heat, but there was little they could do besides tell people to carry a bottle of water along.

At the historic Royal Courts of Justice, judges were allowed to remove their traditional wigs for court proceedings. One of Britain's largest trade union federations, the Trades Union Congress, issued a statement urging people to wear shorts.

The two-hour shifts of the famed royal guards who stand outside Buckingham Palace were reduced to one hour at the beginning of the week in preparation for the heat, said the London headquarters spokesman, Col. David Sievwright. Decreasing shift times is rare, he said.

But the heat failed to dash one of Queen Elizabeth II's annual garden parties. Nearly 8,000 people lined up to enter Buckingham Palace.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2275821,00.html

Tomorrow may be Britain's hottest day ever
By Lee Glendinning and Angela Jameson

Roads have begun to melt and fans and air conditioning are placing massive demands on electricity suppliers as forecasters predict an all-time record high temperature for Britain tomorrow, when the mercury could nudge 38C.

The heatwave conditions have led to increased demand for electricity, forcing National Grid to call for power stations to make more power available. National Grid sent out a system warning of insufficient capacity margin, of the sort that is usually only seen in winter.

"We are starting to see much higher summer demand as Britain gets a taste for air conditioning, " a National Grid spokesman said.

The heatwave has coincided with a time when many power stations have been shut down for maintenance and repair.

While weather forecasters had predicted many readings of 33-34C (91-93F), especially in the south east of England today, by 4pm, it was only Wisley, Surrey which reached 33 degrees. The other highs were 32.6 in Heathrow and Bedford.

While final results won't be calculated until after 6pm, it looks likely that today will have been the hottest of the year so far surpassing the previous highs of 32.7 at Heathrow yesterday and prior to that 32.4 on June 12.

The Evening Standard this afternoon carried out makeshift temperature readings on public transport, and reported 52C heat on one London bus and 47C in the Tube.

The temperatures being experienced at the moment are higher than those in Miami, Athens, Ibiza, Crete, Malta, Nice, Tenerife and Saigon.

The Department of Health has issued a level three heat wave alert - the second highest level - this week, which requires primary care trusts and care services to monitor the impact of the heat and provide additional care for those most at risk from adverse effects such as dehydration and heat stroke.

Road gritters today spread crushed rock dust across roads to create non-stick surfaces and curb the melting tar. Meanwhile high concentrations of smog were forecast for the Midlands, the north of England and the south east tomorrow and Thursday.

Met Office spokesman Barry Gromett said that there were some simple procedures people could take to keep their body temperatures down.

"It's important to keep hydrated with water or juice - things like tea and coffee are no good as they might dehydrate you," he said.

"Around the most intense period of the day, at midday when the sun is at its hottest it is very important to wear a hat and sunscreen."

Mr Gromett added that it was a good idea to have windows open to create airflow through the bedroom at night, or to use a fan.

"One of the most important things is to try and keep the bedroom as cool as possible for the overnight period. Overnight, the body recovers from the heat of the day before it has to suffer the stress of another day."

But the big heat could all end tomorrow night, when thundery storms are forecast for the south west of England, and will spread though the rest of England and Wales on Thursday.

This year has so far been the fourth warmest summer on record, beaten only by 1976, 1995 and 2003.

I was there in 2003 - first-hand (and first-nose). I remember trying to get to sleep at night without a fan or A/C. And during the day, it's hard to even think or concentrate - all you can do is just sit and sweat. I totally understand Germany's rules about going home if the temperature gets too hot - no point in working if you can't think about anything other than the heat.

My sympathies go out to you guys. And I had it lucky - Nederland is next to the sea, so it doesn't get as hot as it did inland in Frankrijk or Duitsland.

Just to add up to the heat.

Taken from the Portuguese Institute of Meteorology (my translation):

It ended in the 18th of July, the heat wave that, because of its spatial extension (almost all the territory) and temporal extension (11 days in the Alentejo region), might be considered the most significant since July 1941.
To this heat wave were associated very high values of minimal temperature which lead to a situation of great thermal discomfort verified in general throughout the entire territory.
The sequence of days with values of minimal temperatures of 20

Heat Hits Record Levels

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13533749,00.html

Wednesday July 19, 2006

Britain has recorded its hottest July day ever - a sizzling 36.5C (97.7F).

The record-breaking temperature was recorded at Wisley in Surrey. It beat the 36.3C (97.3F) set earlier in the day at Charlwood, also in Surrey.

The previous hottest July day was recorded on July 22, 1911, in Epsom, Surrey.

The highest UK temperature ever recorded was 38.5C in Faversham, Kent, on August 10, 2003.

Elizabeth Tennant, 55, front desk manager of the Stanhill Court Hotel, in Charlwood, Surrey, said staff and customers were "melting".

She said: "It's very hot, we are all melting. I've just asked the boss for ice creams and she's considering it."

Much of Britain roasted in sizzling temperatures on Wednesday.

Forecasters said the hot weather reached almost every corner of the country with temperatures of 35C (95F) recorded in Birmingham, Bedford and London.

Other hotspots included Crosby, near Liverpool (33C/91.4F), Anglesea, in north Wales (32.8C/91F), and Scottish ski resort Aviemore which reached 29.2C (84.6F).

Experts say the heatwave shows no sign of relenting thanks to warm winds from France.

Monday and Tuesday were previously the two hottest days with temperatures of up to 33.2C.

Temperatures in Britain this week have outstripped popular holiday destinations including Athens, Bermuda, Rio de Janeiro and Rome.

Forecasters expect a bank of showers coming in from the South West to offer some respite tonight and tomorrow but things will hot up again at the weekend.

The heatwave has sparked a series of health warnings over concerns for the elderly, children and other vulnerable groups.

Some schools closed early while others have postponed sports on health and safety grounds.

There has been anger from some workers that they have not been allowed to wear shorts.

Animals are also suffering, with many in zoos being given special treats to keep them cool.

At Colchester zoo in Essex, Lions were being given ice blocks flavoured with blood and monkeys received blocks containing fruit.

The heat is allowing unusual plants to flourish, with Solanum Laciniatum Aiton, better known as Kangaroo Apples, found blossoming in a central London housing estate.

At least one climate expert has predicted heatwaves will become a regular feature of British life because of global warning.

What is so bizarre is the fact that, while we are obviously facing a threat to our lives of GLOBAL proportions, all Bush and the gang (including Israel) can think about is war...

But then, maybe that's the point: to eliminate 90% of the Earth's population so that whatever food can be grown in the "new climate" will feed those who are left.

Maybe they know something they aren't telling the rest of us?

See: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=2400.msg14816#msg14816

A secret report, suppressed by US defence chiefs and obtained by The Observer, warns that major European cities will be sunk beneath rising seas as Britain is plunged into a 'Siberian' climate by 2020. Nuclear conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting will erupt across the world.

The document predicts that abrupt climate change could bring the planet to the edge of anarchy as countries develop a nuclear threat to defend and secure dwindling food, water and energy supplies. The threat to global stability vastly eclipses that of terrorism, say the few experts privy to its contents.
Sounds like they DO know about "sudden glacial rebound." Notice the date... hells bells, we are almost half-way there - and it could be even FASTER than they predict...

Europe Sweltering in Record Heat Wave

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/19/D8IVCHBG8.html

By LAURA-CLAIRE CORSON
Associated Press Writer

LONDON

Lions licked blood-flavored ice blocks in the zoo, judges went wigless in court and guards at Buckingham Palace ducked into the shade.

Britain faced the hottest day ever recorded in July on Wednesday as a heat wave swept much of Europe. Temperatures hit 96.6 degrees south of London _ so hot some road surfaces melted.

Two people died in Spain as temperatures climbed above 104 degrees, while officials in France said as many as nine people who died recently were believed to be victims of the heat.

But with its aging buildings and infrequent brushes with sweltering temperatures, Britain was particularly ill-equipped for the heat wave.

London's Underground has no air conditioning and the Evening Standard newspaper measured temperatures in the train system at 117 degrees. Operator Transport for London takes no measurements but did not dispute the figure.

"I don't even want to talk about it," said Jean Thurgood of east London, fanning herself frantically on a stuffy bus. "It feels like the hottest day of the century."

Construction workers in northwest England, meanwhile, dumped crushed rocks on highways because the liquefying pavement was sticking to vehicles, Cumbria's county council said.

Across Europe, health officials warned people to stay out of the sun and to drink plenty of water.

In France, several days of dry heat and high temperatures _ which reached 97 degrees in Paris on Wednesday and 102 degrees in Bordeaux a day earlier _ recalled a heat wave in 2003, when 15,000 people died from dehydration and heat-related disorders. Many were elderly and were in some cases left alone while families vacationed.

Since then, France's government has adopted measures to avoid a repeat of the disaster. On Wednesday, French Health Minister Xavier Bertrand and Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin visited a retirement home to check on the prevention plan.

In Paris, heat-busters included four giant humidifiers placed around the Eiffel Tower, one at each foot, that sprayed passers-by with water vapor as they tried to escape the sun's punishing rays.

This week's victims of the heat in France likely included two people in their 80s who died Tuesday in the Bordeaux region, and a 53-year- old construction worker who collapsed in the central city of Macon.

Elsewhere in Europe, temperatures at 4 p.m., when daytime measurements generally peak, registered 95 degrees in Berlin, 93.9 in Brussels, Belgium, and 95.5 in the Dutch city of Utrecht.

In the Netherlands, the Nijmegen 4-Day March was canceled after two participants died in the heat. Some 300 people taking part in the popular walk became ill Tuesday in temperatures that reached 95 degrees and 30 were hospitalized.

In Britain, many people simply sought shelter indoors as the mercury rose. The temperature at Wisley in Surrey, south of London, peaked at 97.7 Fahrenheit _ the hottest temperature ever recorded in Britain in July.

The average temperature in southeastern England in July is 70 degrees _ and that figure has been the nighttime temperature the past few days.

Sancha Lancaster, spokeswoman for Britain's primary weather forecaster the Meteorological Office, said as the heat hangs on, temperatures could eclipse the record of 101 degrees in Faversham, Kent, on Aug. 10, 2003.

"There's no air conditioning anywhere, it seems," said 24-year-old Australian Mark Jones, who is living in London this summer. "In Australia, we're used to this, but here, a lot of people don't even have fans."

London officials advised people to carry a bottle of water.

Andrei Danilov, 32, dutifully cradled mineral water on a London bus.

"It gets worse and worse every year," he said. "I can't stand it."

At the historic Royal Courts of Justice, judges were allowed to remove their traditional wigs for court proceedings. One of Britain's largest trade union federations, the Trades Union Congress, issued a statement urging people to wear shorts to work.

And in a rare move, the two-hour shifts of the royal guards who stand outside Buckingham Palace were reduced to one hour at the beginning of the week in preparation for the heat, said the London headquarters spokesman, Col. David Sievwright.

At the Colchester Zoo, zookeepers gave lions ice blocks flavored with blood, and monkeys got blocks containing fruit.

But the heat failed to dash one of Queen Elizabeth II's annual garden parties. Nearly 8,000 people lined up to enter Buckingham Palace.

Beryl Heads North Toward Massachusetts
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/TROPICAL_WEATHER?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-07-19-07-44-55

By ERIN GARTNER
Associated Press Writer

KILL DEVIL HILLS, N.C. (AP) -- Tropical Storm Beryl did little more than churn up surf and clouds as it passed North Carolina, and similar conditions were expected as it headed north toward Massachusetts.

Still, the National Hurricane Center in Miami issued a tropical storm watch for southeastern Massachusetts, from Plymouth south and west to Woods Hole, including Cape Cod, Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. The center said a tropical storm warning might be necessary for parts of the watch area later Thursday.

The storm was cruising roughly parallel to the East Coast and within range of land-based radar early Thursday, hurricane specialist Jack Beven said, but the winds on the landward side of the storm didn't extend far enough from the center to be felt on the U.S. coast.

The storm should make a gradual turn to the northeast Thursday and pass near Cape Cod and coastal Massachusetts, where higher surf and winds were most likely to be felt Friday morning, he said.

At about 2 a.m. EDT, the storm's maximum sustained winds were near 60 mph, above the 39 mph threshold for a named storm but below hurricane strength of 74 mph.

The storm was centered about 235 miles south of New York City and about 320 miles south-southwest of Nantucket. It was moving north-northeast at about 9 mph, and that direction was expected to continue for the next 24 hours with a turn to the northeast by late Thursday.

On Wednesday, Beryl passed about 100 miles off North Carolina, where initial warnings about the second tropical storm of the 2006 Atlantic hurricane season did little to deter golfers, boaters or fishermen.

"It was blowing 15 to 20 (mph) and the sea was rolling up a little bit, but we've fished in worse," said Brynner Parks, 48, after a day on his 58-foot commercial fishing boat with six clients from Maryland.

A record 28 named storms and 15 hurricanes, including destructive Katrina, occurred during last year's June-November Atlantic hurricane season.

The first named storm of the 2006 season, Tropical Storm Alberto, splashed ashore in Florida in mid-June, then plowed northward along the coast past the Outer Banks. It was blamed for one drowning.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/916EBEC69E47CAD5862571B1000A7CE6?OpenDocument

Storms cut power, snap trees, topple trucks across region

POST-DISPATCH STAFF REPORTS
07/19/2006

A powerful summer storm slammed into the St. Louis area Wednesday evening, toppling buildings, street lights, tractor trailers and hundreds of trees.

At least 476,000 customers lost power, Metrolink was shut down and just one-third of flights were getting in and out of Lambert Field.

"This is one of the worst storms we can all remember to hit the city of St. Louis in recent years," St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay said at a hurriedly called news conference.

The power outages will present a challenge to utility crews trying to get the power back on in temperatures expected to exceed 100 degrees today.

Until Wednesday, the two biggest storms to hit the area in the last few years were in July 2004, when about 225,000 lost power, and in August 2005, which affected about 250,000. It took AmerenUE crews four days to restore power to all customers in 2004 and five days in 2005.

The storm brewed quickly in central Illinois and swept southwest toward the St. Louis area shortly after 7 p.m. Meteorologists said the storm was unusual, not because of its path, but because a powerful "gust front" preceded the rain and thunder, causing damage from St. Charles County in the west to Madison County in the east, but hitting St. Louis and St. Louis County hardest.

Skies darkened with blowing dust, shingles flew from roofs, and windows were shattered, all before a drop of rain fell. Blowing dust and debris and then torrents of rain limited visibility on roads.

Westbound lanes of Highway 370 were shut down at the Discovery Bridge across the Missouri River because of at least two overturned tractor-trailers, according to the Missouri Highway Patrol. In downtown St. Louis, part of the Switzer building near the Eads Bridge collapsed onto the bridge, trapping a driver - eight months pregnant - in her car for some time.

By noon today, airline travel had returned to normal at Lambert Field. Passengers whose luggage was stranded at the airport's Main Terminal because of the Wednesday night power outage returned to the baggage claim area to hunt for their bags.

Drivers heading east on I-70 near the airport could see camper shells strewn across the highway, twisted sheet metal wrapped around light posts and at least one burning building east of the airport.

The eastbound lanes of Interstate 270 near the Chain of Rocks Bridge were closed as emergency crews responded to three tractor-trailers that had flipped over, authorities said.

St. Mary's Health Center in Richmond Heights and Forest Park Hospital in St. Louis were operating on backup power systems Wednesday night.

In St. Louis

Windows in the old Dillards building at 7th Street and Washington Avenue in St. Louis were shattered, covering the streets with a layer of glass. At the Millennium Hotel, a window at Top of the River, the revolving restaurant at the top of the building, was blown out while guests dined.

No one was seriously injured, said Mark Diaz, the hotel's assistant general manager - "just minor, minor cuts."

Winds also shattered a skylight in the south tower, Diaz said. "We are just going to board everything up and get the repair crews out here tomorrow," he said.

At America's Center, bus driver Gaylon Parker, 60, stood huddled at a corner outdoors, watching the storm rip up part of the center's sign.

"This thing was fantastic," he said. "I never saw anything like it my life ... The buses were blowing back and forth."

Parker said he stayed outside during most of the storm to be "adventurous."

"We did finally go inside," he said.

At the Missouri Botanical Garden, hundreds of people who had been attending the Whitaker Music Festival free concert were moved to shelters at the Schoenfeld Auditorium. Damage from shattered glass was reported to the Linnean House, one of the nation's oldest continuously operating greenhouse conservatories. Trees were reported down at the Garden and in neighborhoods around it.

In parts of south St. Louis, trees and limbs almost covered the pavement for whole blocks south of Meramec Street. South of Interstate 55 and in the area around Carondelet Park, motorists had to weave around limbs and thick mats of branches.

Witnesses reported a driver trapped inside a car at Morganford and Arsenal streets. A building collapse at Sidney Street and Lemp Avenue injured two people inside. An empty building near Natural Bridge and Harris avenues also collapsed.

St. Louis officials urged residents to stay within their homes if possible as crews worked to clean up streets. Residents may report downed lines by calling 314-231-1212.

In St. Louis County

In the aftermath of one of the worst storms in recent memory, St. Louis County Executive Charlie A. Dooley today issued an executive work order that will put county employees on the streets to help residents in unincorporated areas.

Officials estimate that more than 300,000 county residents were without power following the fierce windstorm that uprooted trees, busted car windows and knocked down power lines all over the St. Louis area.

Under Dooley's order, county employees will assist residents by removing trees and debris that is placed by the road. They will not go onto private property.

The county will also patrol streets, removing debris. Officials are also exploring the possibility of joining with area municipalities to speed the clean up.

Residents needing helps should call the county at 314-615-5000. Those seeking information about cooling stations should call the United Way hotline at 1-800-427-4626. Some area taxi companies have said they will take residents to approved United Way cooling stations for free.

In Bellefontaine Neighbors, 100-year-old trees were thrown down, said resident Stephanie Russell, an employee at St. Louis University.

"We had to use four-wheel-drive low just to get up the street," Russell said. "It was everything from water to debris to branches 5 feet to 20 feet long."

Russell said she eventually got to her driveway, but a fallen branch blocked her progress and then another fell behind her car.

"We can't get in or out," she said as neighbors worked to remove branches from the road. "... I've never seen anything like it."

Power went out during the Bridgeton City Council meeting, but the council continued its deliberations. By 8:30, the storm had left the North County area.

In north St. Louis County, the storm caused a gas leak in the 10000 block of Lord Drive. Authorities were evacuating the block, according to St. Louis County police.

Chairmaine Manse and Anna Hollins, customers at the St. Louis Bread Co. at Manchester and Interstate 270 were taken by surprise by the storm.

"It came up as a strong wind, knocking over umbrellas and tables," said Hollins, who lives in Normandy. "It got dark and all hell broke loose . . . I'm willing to go, but I'm not willing to chance it."

In Ladue, Elfriede Olney said at least two oak trees - one about 3 feet in diameter and one more than 50 feet tall - fell in her front yard.

"It's a total disaster area in the front," Olney said. "The driveways are blocked. I've never seen anything like this."

The Dierbergs store in Warson Woods stayed open by generator power and was doing a brisk business in batteries and ice.

In University City, William Conner, was outside late Wednesday night cleaning tree branches and other debris from his driveway. Storms have knocked out power in neighborhood at least a dozen times this year, he said.

"Here we go again," he said. "I hope I don't have to spend another night in the dark."

Kathleen Jensen, a dispatcher for Creve Coeur police, left her home in St. Clair in Franklin County about 8:45 p.m. to drive into St. Louis County to work. Trees were down and lights were out the entire way, but she was especially impressed with the number of road signs that were knocked over.

"We're talkin' the big, huge, green signs that are at the sides of the roads," she said.

In Normandy, neighbors were avoiding downed wires as they worked to clear roads and yards of debris.

The Hazelwood City Council met Wednesday night even though most of the city - including city hall - was without electricity.

"We have a power-point presentation, but no power," Mayor T.R. Carr quipped at one point. Members of the Hazelwood Police Explorer Post who had been meeting at city hall when the storm hit helped get a portable generator working in the council chamber so the meeting could go on.

In other areas

Storm damage knocked Washington State Park near De Soto out of commission.

The Missouri Department of Natural Resources said the park will be closed temporarily after sustaining "significant" tree damage and loss of power. Without electricity - which may take up to four days to restore - the state can't operate the campground, swimming pool or cabins.

No other state parks were closed because of the storm damage, said state parks spokeswoman Sue Holst.

There was widespread property damage in the northeastern part of Madison County but no reports of storm-related injuries.

In Bethalto, fallen trees or limbs and damage to buildings or utility lines were evident in virtually every block. The entire village was without electricity and Mayor Steve Bryant said it could be two days or more before power is restored.

Bryant said the storm was the worst disaster in Bethalto since another windstorm in the late 1990s, but damages Wednesday were far greater.

The village opened two cooling centers this morning and Bryant said all the village's streets were cleared enough to allow traffic to pass after street crews worked through the night.

Bethalto's water treatment plant was operating with power from backup generators and there was no boil order but all water customers in Bethalto, Meadowbrook, Rosewood Heights, Cottage Hills, Moro and other outlying service areas were encouraged to conserve water.

Landmark United Pentecostal Church at 302 East Central Avenue in Bethalto was "pretty well totaled," said Pastor Mark Burk. The wind took the church's roof and collapsed large sections of its walls.

Built in the mid-19th century, the church building was one of Bethalto's oldest buildings, Burk said.

Three church members were inside for a Bible study class when the storm hit.

"They heard sirens and ran down in the basement," Burk said. He said another member arrived as the storm abated and led the three out of the basement.

Plans were unclear but Burk said the church will likely rebuild in Bethalto.

"We like the town," he said. "I think we'll stay here."

Most of Fairview Heights was without power as of late this morning, forcing St. Clair Square and other shopping center's in the Metro East's popular retail corridor, to remain closed.

As well, traffic signals along Illinois Route 159 and U.S. Route 50 were not working, forcing traffic snarls.

Police said that they do not have the manpower to direct traffic at the city's busy, multi-lane intersections and are relying on motorists to follow state law, which says vehicles must stop at signaled intersections, even when the traffic lights are not working.

In East St. Louis, power is out citywide, including at the Police Department. The 911 center, however, is still operating, as is the Casino Queen, which is using backup generators.

In St. Charles County, tree limbs were down, power was out and the River City Rascals baseball game was canceled.

In Glen Carbon, the storm hit quickly about 7 p.m. and moved on without major damage.

In Arnold, Tom and Tana Harris of the 2800 block of Fannie Drive were home with their sons, Levi and Larry, and Larry's girlfriend, Angela Clark, when a tree crashed through the ceiling and the house collapsed. Levi, 5, was trapped.

"The beams fell on him and all I could see were his little feet," his mother said.

Levi was soon rescued and Angela Clark was taken to a hospital with a broken ankle.

In De Soto, the storm caused the collapse of the Spiedel Muffler building.

In St. Charles County, tree limbs were down, power was out and the River City Rascals baseball game was canceled.

Shedding some light

At Mike Duffy's Pub & Grill in Kirkwood, manager Marty Smith said the patrons remained calm when the storm hit. But then a concrete street lamp came crashing down onto the driver's side of a red Dodge Caravan parked on West Jefferson.

Smith went from table to table seeking the owner of the car.

"As I approached her, she said, 'I have a red Caravan. Are my lights on?'" Smith recalled. "I said, 'There's a light - on it.'"

Back
Top Bottom