Heatwave with a global grip

Here in southern Germany it is really hot. And has been for some time now. We had a cool but rather dry march, warm april, may and june with some cold days in between. July has been very dry and so is the start of august.

But I remember a lot of summers like this from my childhood. So what?

One important Eye opener for me was the definition of "ice age" in an encyclopedia: ONE or BOTH poles of the planet is/are permanently unter a thick ice sheet. So ... do people think that our planet is only doing good in an ice age (because according to definition we are living in one) and we will all die when there is no ice age any more?

Well, the current weather map with all the dire warnings about heat, tell me that it is 37 C/99 F outside right now. I checked my thermometer which has a radio probe out on a tree and it says 33 C/91 F. I checked with Scottie and he says the High today was 35 C/95 F, NOT 37 C/99 F; so they really are fudging temperatures to make it seem more dramatic than it actually is.

Yeah, it's hot, but hell's bells! It's the beginning of August!!!

It's warm here to but, HOT it's not.

ba4d508fe27cde3a02096ee157c665d0.png

Well, the current weather map with all the dire warnings about heat, tell me that it is 37 C/99 F outside right now. I checked my thermometer which has a radio probe out on a tree and it says 33 C/91 F. I checked with Scottie and he says the High today was 35 C/95 F, NOT 37 C/99 F; so they really are fudging temperatures to make it seem more dramatic than it actually is.

Hm, good point! I do remember one day where the weather service said it would get superduper hot, but when I checked the actual temperature that day, it was lower than what the service said. Perhaps the Global Warmists are milking the natural hot weather at the moment to push their agenda. Earlier this month, an article from the MSM was titled: "Global warming is developing twice as fast as previously thought", and there've been other articles claiming the 'heat wave' is due to man-made global warming!

Even if they don't fudge the data, their thermometers are located on parking lots (car exhausts etc.), within dense cities and at airports.

According to some stats in Germany, it isn't the warmest summer of all time and 2006 was much warmer. About ten years ago, the media would cried by much higher temperatures that it is a summer dream, where now it is called an evil heat wave. The problem that comes with this summer and at least here isn't the sun and temperature, but the missing rain already in spring. If it would have been more rainy earlier in the year the agriculture, the rivers etc. wouldn't be suffering at all, even when it would be much warmer.

Beside in some parts of the US suffered from some cold records this summer.

In that map, Posted by C.a. a month ago, I'm in the Scranton area. In the last four weeks, not much has changed from that weather forecast or pattern, other then we are getting more flash flooding due to days on end with rainy periods. In the month of July, we only had four days - where the sky was blue and it didn't rain. Other then that, the days are cloudy and overcast and the nights look like we're sitting in heavy ground covered fog.

The day before the 4th of July, I washed a cotton queen size bedspread and hung it out on the clothes line for a few hours. It was 91*F. Yet, five hours later, when I went to take it off the line, it was still damp and wet. Generally, in two hours, it's completely dry, even in 70* weather. The humidity has been ungodly. Yesterday, I put out three bath size towels because rain wasn't expected until later that night. After three hours, I brought them in (damp) because the sky began to cloud up like rain. The rain is another issue, it starts out with big heavy rain drops and then tapers off to a moderate rain.

Local weather forecasts are even harder to understand - like today - 77* Partly sunny (over cast) but has a RealFeel® 86°. Well, what ever the temperature - it feels close to 90* - like walking in a radiant oven, surrounded in a moisture barrier! Rare do you detect a breeze, of any kind. It's like stagnant air. And to be honest, it isn't the temperature - that's a problem - it's the dam humidity! And the heavy dew on everything.

I know, this probably sounds like a stupid question but "Did the World stop rotating?" Or something to that effect?

Scranton Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for PA 18503
Flash Flood Watch ...FLASH FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM EDT ...

MinuteCast® for Scranton
Rain starting in 73 min

Next 5 Days
  • Current Weather

77° F RealFeel® 86°
    Partly sunny
  • Today
    Aug 2

79° Hi RealFeel® 86°
    Showers and thunderstorms
    More
  • Tonight
    Aug 2

70° Lo RealFeel® 68°
    A heavy thunderstorm early
    More
  • Tomorrow
    Aug 3

78° Hi RealFeel® 86°
    A heavy thunderstorm
    More

Looking Ahead
Thunderstorms in the area late this morning through this evening; storms can cause flash flooding

Reactions: Ca.
Hm, good point! I do remember one day where the weather service said it would get superduper hot, but when I checked the actual temperature that day, it was lower than what the service said. Perhaps the Global Warmists are milking the natural hot weather at the moment to push their agenda. Earlier this month, an article from the MSM was titled: "Global warming is developing twice as fast as previously thought", and there've been other articles claiming the 'heat wave' is due to man-made global warming!

No less pontificated by MSM grasping at straws.

KPIX CBS SF Bay Area Published on Aug 2, 2018

Geeze, I remember "record" Death Valley temps numerous times over the years, often like 120 or something like that.

I'm not saying the weather isn't just NUTS, but it is almost NEVER the important things that get focused on by the MSM, meanwhile, they tout temps that are not truly representative of what is going on. And yeah, cities are quite a bit hotter than places in the country, but that's normal.

I noticed something similar on google weather: it gives a maximum temperature for the day but when I hover over the entire day it doesn't show that maximum at any point of that day. The picture below is only 1 degree off but sometimes the difference is larger. I attached a screenshot with an example.

(PS.: Is there any way to make uploaded pictures smaller?)

Wthr.png

Anyway, the heatwave here in London / UK has been a bit longer than previous years but earlier today I pointed out to someone at work that jumping into conclusions about the global warming being the cause may be a bit premature. I reminded her a conversation we had in mid May when we were complaining about still wearing winter boots that late into spring!

My personal attitude towards the current weather is that I'd better enjoy it while it lasts. The summer has been amazing with social outdoors activities, picnics and barbecues, trips to the beach and warm summer nights where we get to sit in a park or garden until very late without getting cold. Who knows how many sunny summers we have left? I mean, heck, the 'Ice Age Cometh' thread is 74 pages long for a reason!

I do try not to sit in direct sun due to the recent C's session revelations but I'm certainly having an enjoyable summer. Despite no aircon at work and hot summer nights being a bit less fun when it's time to sleep. ;-)

I live in an attic apartment so my bedroom is often hotter than the temperature outside. There is a trick that helps me survive 30 degrees in my bedroom when it's bedtime: sleeping with a wet t-shirt on and (in extreme cases) wet socks on. Sounds weird but works like a charm!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there is a way @Ant22 as you can see now in your post. I deleted the big pic and I choose the thumbnail picture instead of the full picture.

Awesome, thank you Gandalf! I actually saw the option for a thumbnail and I saw those small & clickable pictures on the forum before too. Somehow I didn't put 2 & 2 together. Such a clever head. I'll blame the quality of my analytical skills on the hot weather :whistle:

There seems to be a certain push right now to reinforce the idea of the current fairly normal summer temperatures to be the result and proof of man made global warming . I also noticed that the temperatures they say "we will have or are having today" are in actually quite a bit lower when checked yourself. Yes, we know that they use screwed data points as mkrnhr pointed out above (thermometers located on parking lots (car exhausts etc.), within dense cities and at airports etc.) to come up with those temperatures, but it certainly interesting to watch and hear how widespread all of a sudden this normal heat is connected with "global warming" in mainstream outlets, like radio, TV and Press. One could almost think that there was a decision made somewhere to use this opportunity.

Just yesterday I heard in the radio how that heat and drought here in germany "will get more frequent in the next couple of years because of global warming".

I do wonder though, why in germany for example, which experiences a fairly warm and I would say normal summer right now, there appears to be a "very dramatic crop failure" with up to 70 Percent losses, so that the farmers are forced to beg the state for billions of Euros in comoensation?

Is this an exaggeration or something that is really happening as it is presented right now and pretty unique that seldom happened before? And if so, why?

I mean, if this is a fairly normal summer, both heat and drought wise, why is there all of a sudden a "70 percent crops lost" when pretty much the same conditions were present in past years where that didn't happen?

Or did it happens back then also and we just didn't check and forgot about it? Or are there other factors at play that make this situation really quite different then before?

To add to this discussion:

The following article (In Dutch) shows that the Dutch KNMI (weather service) in a creative manner removed past heatwaves in order to make it appear that the amount of heatwaves increased during the last decade.

Another article, (I can’t find it) showed that the Dutch weather service placed their thermometers across the country in such a bad (planned) manner that temperates could rose to 2 C higher then there really were.

So no, I wouldn't trust the weather services all that much when it comes to climate change.

The same thing is happening here in Finland: 1) over-reporting the actual temperature which may include improper positioning of thermometers, and 2) headlines declaring "record" temperatures, when weather readings over the past century have proven this false.
A Finnish guy searched up all of the temperatures from the Finnish Meteorological Institute and found many instances from the more distant past (1919, 1930s and 1940s) and the recent past showing higher summer temperatures than this year.

Also the coloured European weather maps have been pointed out to be showing "too much red", as they are supposed to show "anomalies" but the heat is not that much higher than normal.

Hence, many are calling it "global warming propaganda" in Finnish social media.

Reactions: Ca.
Back
Top Bottom