Help to understand blood test results...

Here's two blood test, from mainstream diet to keto diet (I am about four months on it) :

07/11/2012 :

Your Total Cholesterol of 209 is BORDERLINE
Your LDL of 134 is BORDERLINE
Your HDL of 61 is OPTIMAL
Your Triglyceride level of 70 is NORMAL

RATIOS:
Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 3.43 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.455 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) IDEAL
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 1.148 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL

12/09/2015 :

Your Total Cholesterol of 331 is HIGH RISK
Your LDL of 233 is VERY HIGH RISK
Your HDL of 80 is OPTIMAL
Your Triglyceride level of 90 is NORMAL

RATIOS:
Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 4.14 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) GOOD
Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.343 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) GOOD
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 1.125 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL

Others tests show a good kidney function after my pyelonefritis.

As I understand it, my levels are good. My LDL is high because of a presumably gut healing : I experienced belly cramps and pains in the lower back, which might be an IBS (from Gutsense.com view). Indeed I ate a lot of veggies these days and may the fibers being inflame my guts. So I will try to eat just chicken/lean meat/bone broth, no veggies, meanwhile searching for allergies. I don't tolerate eggs, and I don't like the taste of the yolks, so am I wrong if I think I'm sensitive to parsley because I don't like the taste too ?

From the C's :
Laura said:
(Chu) "l apprenti de forgeron" on the forum.

L) Okay, we have an individual who wrote:

"Since more than eight months ago I am in the hands of doctors who cannot detect what is my problem. Personally I think it may be something like inflammation in the bowel, such as Crohn's disease. Interestingly, these discomforts have started when I really started to follow a ketogenic diet, and as you have reported, can lead to changes in DNA... Therefore, I wonder if I experienced a DNA that has become a problem due to "the animal ancestor", which does not let me adapt to the diet? [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2937711/Neanderthals-suffered-psoriasis-DNA-study-suggests-ancient-human-cousins-suffered-modern-diseases.html]
Could you ask to the C's for a simple diagnostic to do something about it?"

(L) Is there something that you can say to this individual?

A: For many, the transition in diet is either not possible due to epigenetic factors, or must be undertaken very, very slowly. For some, the requirements for carbohydrates is higher. They need to fulfill this need as safely as possible. In this case, the individual has intuited the relationship and should do some experimental adjustments adding root type vegetables and some greens and berries.

I'm wondering, if I have IBS (Crohn's disease related as I understand, as "l apprenti de forgeron"), the literature (gutsense.com) tells me to stop fibers, but the C's tell to add soluble fibers (root type vegetables) and insoluble fibers (greens) in these case. So I'm a little bit confuse, but I will read the "Life without bread" post to find the information anyway.

Nico said:
Here's two blood test, from mainstream diet to keto diet (I am about four months on it) :

Have you had your iron load markers checked? Transferrin, ferritin, TIBC, iron?

Green beans are usually well tolerated by everybody, so is sweet potatoes, beets and carrots (root fiber). You could experiment with that.

Do read the threads as it will give you an idea of the issues people have had.

My 2 cents!

Gaby said:

Erh, I took two months ago 1g EDTA during one week and one week ago I did it again, moreover I plan to give my blood today. So the iron test might be falsified, how long do you know it will take to know if I am a hemochromatoperson (i.e. how long will the metabolism of iron come back to normal in a human body ?)

Nico said:
Gaby said:

Erh, I took two months ago 1g EDTA during one week and one week ago I did it again, moreover I plan to give my blood today. So the iron test might be falsified, how long do you know it will take to know if I am a hemochromatoperson (i.e. how long will the metabolism of iron come back to normal in a human body ?)

I don't know for sure, but I'd say it depends on the person. From my husband's example, who has hemochromatosis, his ferritin was up to 500 when we found out. With blood donations and EDTA after a couple of years it went down to 20. Then during that period we were moving and he only donated blood once or twice, so when a year later he got blood tests done, it was up to 80. Perhaps wait 6 months and do the blood testing for the iron markers? Gaby might have better advice, so fwiw.

Alana said:
Nico said:
Gaby said:

I don't know for sure, but I'd say it depends on the person. From my husband's example, who has hemochromatosis, his ferritin was up to 500 when we found out. With blood donations and EDTA after a couple of years it went down to 20. Then during that period we were moving and he only donated blood once or twice, so when a year later he got blood tests done, it was up to 80. Perhaps wait 6 months and do the blood testing for the iron markers? Gaby might have better advice, so fwiw.

Yeah, sounds like a good plan. It is good to know the initial markers before doing EDTA and donations, but if you have no contraindications for donating blood, I would just go ahead with the donation and check the markers at some point to see where you are at.

Doing EDTA will also help to chelate lead.

Hello again ! ^^

Here some new results after 6 months on paleo and 2 months on Iodine/Selenium Rx :

Your Total Cholesterol of 378 is HIGH RISK
Your LDL of 287 is VERY HIGH RISK
Your HDL of 75 is OPTIMAL
Your Triglyceride level of 80 is NORMAL
RATIOS:

Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 5.04 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) AT RISK
Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.261 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) AT RISK
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 1.067 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL

So I'm at risk, but I know C-Reactive/HbA1c/Cytokines are more important to assess the danger, unfortunately I didn't tell the doctor to make me test these.
However I've done Iron tests, it seems to be good according to this article : http://www.sott.net/article/260752-Iron-overload-the-missed-diagnosis

FER SERIQUE 79 µg/dl
TRANFERRIN 1.93 g/L
TIBC 2.69 mg/L
TRANSFERRIN SATURATION 29%
FERRITIN 150ng/mL

So I don't know why my LDL is going up, maybe I eat too much fat, because I tend to eat a lots of gooood walnuts/almonds/chocolate/butter as dessert :P.

I smoke, I do HIIT Kettlebell four times a week and sprints two times a week, I eat two times a day, without forgetting seafood, I go under the sun, I take cold shower once a day, I read a lot but I don't have a job and I'm quite happy most of the time :).

How about adding some niacin to see if it makes a difference for your next test?:

http://www.sott.net/article/306543-A-constant-stream-of-expensive-drugs

Niacin is better than any cholesterol drug

Back in the 1950s, William Parsons, MD, and colleagues reported that niacin lowers bad cholesterol, increases good cholesterol, and lowers triglycerides, among other benefits, such as living longer [8]. Abram Hoffer, MD, who pioneered the use of niacin to cure schizophrenia, says Dr. Parsons provides the evidence that niacin is the "only practical, effective, safe, and cost effective method for restoring lipid levels to normal." [9]

"Niacin should probably be the first-line medication for people who want to lower their cholesterol levels," say Drs. Hilary Roberts and Steve Hickey, authors of The Vitamin Cure for Heart Disease. Additionally, the health advantages of niacin extend well beyond its ability to reduce cholesterol. "[N]iacin inhibits inflammation and protects the delicate linings of the arteries," say Dr. Roberts and Dr. Hickey, and "helps maintain the arterial wall and prevents atherosclerosis" [10].

"A vitamin can act as a drug, but a drug can never act as a vitamin."- Andrew W. Saul, PhD

The dose is the key. "[T]he data on patients with problem cholesterol/LDL levels still support 3,000-5,000 milligrams of immediate-release niacin as the best clinically-proven approach to maintaining a healthy lipid profile," says researcher professor and niacin expert W. Todd Penberthy, PhD. And, despite what you may have heard, niacin is "far safer than the safest drug." [11]

I would start with the lowest dose recommended on the label and build up from there though. The niacin flush could be very uncomfortable otherwise.

There is also this article:

Vitamin B3 Beats Big Pharma's Zetia Cholesterol Drug
http://www.sott.net/article/205774-Vitamin-B3-Beats-Big-Pharmas-Zetia-Cholesterol-Drug

I would wait until after some 6 months on iodine before repeating the tests, adding also some thyroid hormones.

\o/ Thank you Gaby, I wouldn't have made the link with niacin without you. Maybe this will help my father and family with hypercholesterolemia !

By the way my TSH today is 3.501 mUI/L, it fits in the box (0.350-4.940).

Hello it's me again, I have new result to post and new symptoms ><

06/07/2016
Sedimentation speed first hour : 2 mm
fibrinogene : 2.17 g/L

CRP : <0.2mg/L

Haptoglobine : 0.52 g/L

I will do another LDL test as it was 9 months ago for the last. My doctor tell me I was in danger with high cholesterol sent me to a dietetician for diabetes... She told me that she can't do nothing if I am don't change my diet. It makes me sad and angry.

Yesterday I had another bad symptoms : flat stools, as it has been for 6 months that I feel depress and good. I begin to accept my sadness, wherever it come from, but IBS and related symptoms : "shin pan", pain in deep middle belly, and electric discharge made me feel very unstable at time.
My stool are brighter and with very bizarre form, maybe a cancer or colon contracted.
I don't know what to do, I am alone, I read, but not very fast, and I struggle to find my knowledge field while keeping other fields in check. But it's hard when you think doing good, and you stumble upon creepy symptoms. I feel also quite lonely and sad because I have changed my environnement, and my mind responding to this in trying to control the body, so it definitely take its toll on my intestin/health.
The worst at this time is maybe not to have someone intimate to talk with, I felt that all my life, I hope to integrate it in the future.

Thank you, regards.

Nico said:
I will do another LDL test as it was 9 months ago for the last. My doctor tell me I was in danger with high cholesterol sent me to a dietetician for diabetes... She told me that she can't do nothing if I am don't change my diet. It makes me sad and angry.

Yesterday I had another bad symptoms : flat stools, as it has been for 6 months that I feel depress and good. I begin to accept my sadness, wherever it come from, but IBS and related symptoms : "shin pan", pain in deep middle belly, and electric discharge made me feel very unstable at time.

How does your diet looks like now?

Ideally, the cholesterol panel has to be repeated along with thyroid function and at least fasting glucose levels.

The inflammatory markers that you quoted above are normal.

For the stools, you can discuss them with the physician. Perhaps a few tests will help clarify. Maybe it is because of fat in the stools.

Perhaps there is some IBS going on and it is also affecting your mood, and the stools too. See if there might be something inflammatory in your diet.

What supplements do you take?

Step by step :flowers:

Thank you Gaby for your support because in this moment I really need a break from my intestins :P.

I have reduced fat, I eat at midday and at 6PM, sometimes I eat snack at 4PM. I eat sweet potatoes for carbohydrates rarely fruits, but cranberries and nuts.
For vegetables : all but nightshades, cooked, and a lot in ratio.
For proteins : not too much, fishes, and meats, crustaceans and shellfishes when I can.

I observe in my stool some bits of brasilian nuts (I have tested it last weeks), I am maybe allergic to nuts... But I like it and I love to have a dessert, so sometimes I eat them.

I love fat, I am very sad to not be able to eat it freely T-T, I will take HCl and ox bile to help.

I will keep a look on it. Meditation help me.

Nico said:
I love fat, I am very sad to not be able to eat it freely T-T, I will take HCl and ox bile to help.

Sounds good. You can also add apple cider vinegar to foods, it will help you to digest them. You could have some intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) and I think that HCl would go a long way in dealing with that.

I once spoke with a woman who tried absolutely everything to fight her SIBO. In the end, it was only a matter of increasing the HCl dose and it was gone. I forgot the exact dose, but I'm pretty sure it was a few grams as opposed to 650mg in one pill.

Try experimenting a little bit. If there is undigested food in your stools, then digestion needs some support. Skip the Brazilian nuts for a week or two. You might be sensitive to them.

Let us know what you are discovering :flowers:

Thank you Gaby ! I will order some HCl and magnesium from Amazon soon.

I have an other question : when I do coffee enema I feel dizziness and tingling when I stand up, I eat chocolate, and these days I feel very tired, so I am wondering, not if I am not in minerals imbalance, I am, but in which direction, hyper or hypokalemia ?

I take morning hymalahian salt, so sodium would normally balance the potassium ? I also take Epsom Salt Bath 1 or 2 per week. I don't take any mineral supplements. I take Lugol, with KI (I don't know if it has an impact ^^).
And my heart and nerves are very bizarre and scary sometimes :S, I feel like I am in a cloud, but suddenly I have a sharp mind, I feel nervous heat, and I feel tense in my backbone and suddenly I am relaxed. I also have shaking in members. I don't know how to rebalance, if you have some advices :).

Nico said:
Thank you Gaby ! I will order some HCl and magnesium from Amazon soon.

I have an other question : when I do coffee enema I feel dizziness and tingling when I stand up, I eat chocolate, and these days I feel very tired, so I am wondering, not if I am not in minerals imbalance, I am, but in which direction, hyper or hypokalemia ?

I take morning hymalahian salt, so sodium would normally balance the potassium ? I also take Epsom Salt Bath 1 or 2 per week. I don't take any mineral supplements. I take Lugol, with KI (I don't know if it has an impact ^^).
And my heart and nerves are very bizarre and scary sometimes :S, I feel like I am in a cloud, but suddenly I have a sharp mind, I feel nervous heat, and I feel tense in my backbone and suddenly I am relaxed. I also have shaking in members. I don't know how to rebalance, if you have some advices :).

Yes, you do need to add minerals if you are taking iodine. Iodine acts as a chelator, it removes heavy metals from the body and minerals can be eliminated as well. Also, if you are detoxing there is more need for extra minerals because they get used up in the process. When I stopped taking iodine at one point I also stopped taking any supplements and as a consequence I felt extremely fatigued. I needed remineralization (sp?). Find a good multi-mineral that contains zinc, boron and selenium among others. Also B-complex vitamins and magnesium (malate, orotate, glycinate - those are types of magnesium with good absorption from the body). You can take the multimineral with your last meal of the day away from iodine (I assume you take iodine with breakfast?) and magnesium before you go to sleep. Mugnesium should help with the muscle shaking too. I have mine by my bed, which I take with my probiotics. Probiotics are also a good addition if you are experiencing digestive issues. I have 4 different types with different strains of critters that I rotate each night. You can do a search and find which strain would be good for your symptoms.

Those are the first things I can think of right now, others will have additional advice.

Back
Top Bottom