Hemochromatosis and Autoimmune Conditions

Daenerys said:
Would it be better to order the genetic test or get a ferritin reading from a blood test at a lab? Or, can you get a ferratin reading by donating blood?

Best to read everything about it that you can first. If anybody gets the book and is able to scan and make a PDF, maybe that's what we can do until more reasonable copies become available.

I just found this site: _http://ironoverload.org/index.html

They offer the book for $14.95 plus $2.00 shipping and handling. You have to call for it. I just called but the voice mail came on.

The author also wrote a fictional novel about iron overload call Tick...Tick...Tick. There are used copies available on amazon for starting @ 4 bux.
_http://www.amazon.com/Tick-Tick-Tick-Roberta-Crawford/dp/0963254723/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365456086&sr=8-1&keywords=tick+tick+tick+roberta+crawford

Odyssey said:

They offer the book for $14.95 plus $2.00 shipping and handling. You have to call for it. I just called but the voice mail came on.

That's where ya'll ought to get it then. We can also make a pdf for those in countries that don't have access to this option.

There's also this one:

Exposing the Hidden Dangers of Iron: What Every Medical Professional Should Know about the Impact of Iron on the Disease Process

http://www.amazon.com/Exposing-Hidden-Dangers-Iron-Professional/dp/1581823363/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365456802&sr=1-1&keywords=iron+overload

I haven't read it but it is referenced numerous times in the Crawford book which is excellent because of the numerous case histories that give a wide view of the manifestations and the difficulty of getting a doctor to even consider the problem.

Blurb:

Iron is one of the most frequently purchased over-the-counter supplements, second only to vitamin C and calcium. The danger is that, once absorbed, iron can only be excreted in minute amounts of less than one milligram a day (or by heavy blood loss), and excess iron collects in a person's vital organs, thus, setting the disease process under way. As organs literally rust away, patients can experience early death by heart attack, arthritis, liver, pancreatic and colon cancer, increased infections, cirrhosis, diabetes, neurological problems, loss of hearing, tinnitus, depression, impotence, and infertility. Scientists have now discovered a connection to iron impropriety and Alzheimer's, early onset Parkinson's, Huntington's, attention deficit disorder, and epilepsy. EXPOSING THE HIDDEN DANGERS OF IRON is an excellent introduction for medical professionals to the intricacies of iron in the various body systems. Containing a practical guide to diagnosis, it also includes such subjects as the treatment and management of iron-loading conditions, excellent reference charts, a large glossary of terms, additional resources, contact and treatment centers, and a complete bibliography. Cutting edge scientific findings are summarized, complete with endnotes and references, about the devastation of excess iron on the liver, pancreas, gallbladder, spleen, adrenals, kidneys, bone marrow, arteries, heart, pituitary, joints, lungs, hearing, skin, vision, and the brain.

Thank you Laura and everyone who participated in gathering and sharing the research,my mom has constant wrist pains(arthritis) she tried different treatments but still feels the intolerable pain, so I'm thinking to try to explane to her the benefits of donating blood and advice her to ( first of all checking if she is able to take this procedure) donate blood,if i understood right from the research, if the person is able to donate blood then it is advisable to do so,because by this method you can reduce safely the iron level from your body. thank you once again.

Bubonic Plague and Hemochromatosis
On pages 8-15 of "Survival of the Sickest", Dr. Sharon Moalem addresses Big Idea 1(the process of evolution drives the diversity and unity of life) when he discusses the bubonic plague in Europe. Although the Bubonic plague was deadly, it didn't kill the entire population. Moalem previously discussed on page 6 that "iron helps nearly all bacteria multiply almost unimpeded", but during the plague, people with hemochromatosis were very resistant to the disease.

The gene for hemochromatosis, the HFE gene, was selected for by natural selection because even though it may kill you in forty years, it is the “only thing that will stop you from dying tomorrow” (Moalem 4). To analyze this statement, Dr. Moalem researches into the time of the Bubonic Plague, an infection of the lymph nodes leading to swelling and death. The plague, while it killed almost anyone who became infected, left survivors. These people were most likely patients with hemochromatosis. This is because hemochromatosis, while it leads to an excess of iron, does not evenly distribute the extra iron throughout the body. In fact, the iron lacks in a white blood cell called macrophages. Macrophages are part of the immune system, locating and surrounding and killing any foreign, harmful substance in the body. Because diseases like the Bubonic Plague feed off of iron much like our bodies do, macrophages, having a lack of iron, are immune to the infection of the plague. This means that the white blood cell can successful surround and destroy the threatening virus without being destroyed. Because the plague can be fought off by iron deficient white blood cells, those with hemochromatosis survive the plague while others die from it (Moalem 12).

The reason hemochromatosis is still around today and inherited is because during the Bubonic plague it was selected for. Because patients with the disease were able to live through the plague, they survived and reproduced (evolution unit of biology). This means that their offspring also possessed the mutated gene for hemochromatosis. Therefore, because natural selection and adaptation happens to a population over a long period of time, the gene has been passed on through generations from parent to offspring. It continues to be prevalent because “we asked for it” (Moalem 3) during the time of the plague to stay alive and, therefore, allowed the mutated gene to be a trait of people who survive and are able to reproduce.

marek760 said:
Bubonic Plague and Hemochromatosis
On pages 8-15 of "Survival of the Sickest", Dr. Sharon Moalem addresses Big Idea 1(the process of evolution drives the diversity and unity of life) when he discusses the bubonic plague in Europe. Although the Bubonic plague was deadly, it didn't kill the entire population. Moalem previously discussed on page 6 that "iron helps nearly all bacteria multiply almost unimpeded", but during the plague, people with hemochromatosis were very resistant to the disease.

Hi marek760,

Problem is that the "Black Death" most likely wasn't bubonic plague but rather a virus, maybe a hemorrhagic virus similar to Ebola. But not Yersinia pestis, as the epidemiology doesn't fit - e.g. no rats in Iceland, but 3 waves of the plague; too rapid expansion of the plague to account for transmission by flea infested rats; no historical account of piles of dead rats etc.

Which doesn't mean that it may not have been protective if faced with a virus ...

You may want to review the Sott article "New Light on the Black Death: The Viral and Cosmic Connection" to be found here.

Odyssey said:

The author also wrote a fictional novel about iron overload call Tick...Tick...Tick. There are used copies available on amazon for starting @ 4 bux.
_http://www.amazon.com/Tick-Tick-Tick-Roberta-Crawford/dp/0963254723/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365456086&sr=8-1&keywords=tick+tick+tick+roberta+crawford

I first clicked on the amazon review link vidapublishing.com, from which the reviewer said you could buy the book via the publisher. However that site looks like some Japanese dog training advertisement. Looks like the publisher doesn't have a site any longer.

But then I found this _http://www.bookch.com/6371.htm . The site looks old and is dated from the year 2000. But when you add the book to your cart, it looks like it takes you to an https page.

logos5x5 said:
nicklebleu said:
logos5x5,

A feeling of tiredness is such an unspecific symptom that it is very hard to know where it comes from. Also one should never forget "outside" influences which may cause or worsen such a state.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cause and just continue to optimize diet and your life in general as much as you can. From the lab results it would definitely be beneficial for you to decant some blood to lower your ferritin levels. You might find that after donating some blood or bloodletting 500 ml your symptoms may get better.

Hope that helps!

True nicklebleu, thanks. I'll start this week with the blood donations. I'll post the progress here.

One funny thing that I've learned this weekend, is that my grandmother made regular blood donations by prescription. I don't know when this stopped, but was for many years, or so they told me. Now no one in my family remembers exactly why, they remember that has to do with high levels of 'something' in her blood. Maybe this was related to this iron matter? I'm not sure. The thing is that I cannot ask her personally because she's suffering from acute memory loss :(, but I'll dig up more. Also, she's half Irish, half Scottish.
I didn't know doctor can recommend frequent blood donation. If so, I will ask my doctor to recommend.

Laura said:
Daenerys said:
Would it be better to order the genetic test or get a ferritin reading from a blood test at a lab? Or, can you get a ferratin reading by donating blood?

Best to read everything about it that you can first. If anybody gets the book and is able to scan and make a PDF, maybe that's what we can do until more reasonable copies become available.

My copy shipped today, and the estimated delivery is "sometime this month." OK, I was being a little cheap, but it already cost me $30 without paying for expedited shipping to boot. I could scan it on the weekend after it arrives -- I have both a scanner and OCR software, if nobody else does it first. We could also ship our copies to others once we have read them.

This is kind of interesting how the book is selling out.

Megan said:
Laura said:
Daenerys said:

My copy shipped today, and the estimated delivery is "sometime this month." OK, I was being a little cheap, but it already cost me $30 without paying for expedited shipping to boot. I could scan it on the weekend after it arrives -- I have both a scanner and OCR software, if nobody else does it first. We could also ship our copies to others once we have read them.

This is kind of interesting how the book is selling out.

Should have not waited to order and just might have to wait for a scan:

Amazon price was $12 & $18 shipping the other day when checking and today:

3 new from $72.99 6 used from $114.45
+ shipping.

A lot can change in a day or two.

Andrian said:
Thank you Laura and everyone who participated in gathering and sharing the research,my mom has constant wrist pains(arthritis) she tried different treatments but still feels the intolerable pain, so I'm thinking to try to explane to her the benefits of donating blood and advice her to ( first of all checking if she is able to take this procedure) donate blood,if i understood right from the research, if the person is able to donate blood then it is advisable to do so,because by this method you can reduce safely the iron level from your body. thank you once again.

Has your mother tried eliminating gluten, dairy, vegetable fats, inflammatory foods?

Donating blood is useful if the doctor or blood bank okays it, but it's not a panacea for everything - especially if other efforts have not also been made.

Jeanne A. Brohart's website
_http://www.autismhelpforyou.com/anemia.htm

A few choice excerpts

Hemoglobin is not iron! Unfortunately physicians prescribe iron to anemic people who test with low hemoglobin. Yes, the patients are anemic, but the iron is collecting in storage instead of going into hemoglobin. These people are iron-loaded. They need iron removed despite the anemia. The anemia should be treated with B vitamins, especially B12, B6 and folic acid. Many patients with anemia are dying of iron overload, and some are hastened to their death by their physicians who give iron. Blood banks seem to believe that hemoglobin and iron are the same. They have prepared lists of high iron foods to give out to donors with low hemoglobin. They invariably tell these people: “Your iron is low.” Dangerous misinformation.

And hence, just one of the reasons for which I now believe that obesity does not “cause” diabetes but rather is the “effect” of diabetes and that the underlying issue is most likely metal toxicity. As such, perhaps we have it backwards… maybe obesity does not lead to diabetes… maybe diabetes is an attempt at dealing with metal toxicity and that then leads to obesity… after all, insulin is also known to stimulate the production of fat!

Are the kidneys being overworked in iron loading disorders as they help stimulate the production of red blood cells and address iron overload issues via the excretion of water soluble bilirubin (which can bind to iron) via urine production. Is this why "how often one has to go to the bathroom" is an indicator of potential diabetes?

Okay, I just gave 480 mL of my blood ! So far, nothing to report, just a little light-headed.

Back
Top Bottom