Hemochromatosis and Autoimmune Conditions

nicklebleu said:
Does anyone know what the difference between the 1993 and 2001 edition is?

The 2001 edition is mentioned to be "expanded," "updated," according to the samples on Amazon (1993 edition doesn't have a sample available):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0963254774/

Looking at the copyright - it looks like there were two printings of 1993 edition, which suggests a high demand (osit!), and the 2001 edition is merely an updated version, though the samples didn't specify what was updated.

fwiw.

marek760 said:
Bubonic Plague and Hemochromatosis
[...] This means that the white blood cell can successful surround and destroy the threatening virus without being destroyed.

I find it interesting that it mentions virus though. In March Bloch's "The Historian's Craft", it also mentions virus in reference to the plague. Perhaps a collective memory, a la Freudian slip?

Laura said:
Andrian said:
Thank you Laura and everyone who participated in gathering and sharing the research,my mom has constant wrist pains(arthritis) she tried different treatments but still feels the intolerable pain, so I'm thinking to try to explane to her the benefits of donating blood and advice her to ( first of all checking if she is able to take this procedure) donate blood,if i understood right from the research, if the person is able to donate blood then it is advisable to do so,because by this method you can reduce safely the iron level from your body. thank you once again.

Has your mother tried eliminating gluten, dairy, vegetable fats, inflammatory foods?

Donating blood is useful if the doctor or blood bank okays it, but it's not a panacea for everything - especially if other efforts have not also been made.

I agree with you Laura that donating blood will not resolve the problem without being made other efforts first ,in fact, I'm sorry that i forgot to mention in my previous post that she didn't changed yet her diet fully free of gluten,dairy,vegetable fats ,so yes first of all i will try to explain to her as an advice the importance of changing the diet first ,the only problem that preoccupies me is that she wouldn't want to take in the consideration my advice not because of a lack of trust absolutely no but because she is more inclined to trust the opinion/advice of a professional figure like a doctor specialized in this field,i will try the both ways,to be honest prior to reading this thread i didn't/don't understood/understand the importance of changing the diet,for me and my family i want to inform myself and learn more (from diet and health thread).

3D Student said:
But then I found this _http://www.bookch.com/6371.htm . The site looks old and is dated from the year 2000. But when you add the book to your cart, it looks like it takes you to an https page.

I was able to order the book from this retailer for $14.95 (plus $4.00 - $5.00 shipping within Continental U.S.). I believe the site shown above links to their old website. I tried to order from there first and when I went to hit Submit Order, it didn't take. I called their 800# (1-800-431-1579) and they were able to find it in the system and completed the order. If you go to just http://www.bookch.com/ I believe that is their new site and you can search on Iron Elephant from there. Though you can just order over the phone if you aren't sure.

suelarue said:
3D Student said:
But then I found this _http://www.bookch.com/6371.htm . The site looks old and is dated from the year 2000. But when you add the book to your cart, it looks like it takes you to an https page.

I was able to order the book from this retailer for $14.95 (plus $4.00 - $5.00 shipping within Continental U.S.). I believe the site shown above links to their old website. I tried to order from there first and when I went to hit Submit Order, it didn't take. I called their 800# (1-800-431-1579) and they were able to find it in the system and completed the order. If you go to just http://www.bookch.com/ I believe that is their new site and you can search on Iron Elephant from there. Though you can just order over the phone if you aren't sure.

Here's the good link:

http://www.bookch.com/details.taf?title=Iron%20Elephant%20%282nd%20Edition%29&book_id=658

Shijing said:
Gandalf said:
Here's the good link:

http://www.bookch.com/details.taf?title=Iron%20Elephant%20%282nd%20Edition%29&book_id=658

Thanks Gandalf!

Thanks from me as well. I just ordered through there, and the price is right (rather than Amazon, which is ridiculous).

Zadius Sky said:
Shijing said:
Gandalf said:
Here's the good link:

Thanks Gandalf!

Thanks from me as well. I just ordered through there, and the price is right (rather than Amazon, which is ridiculous).

Same here, thanks Gandalf!

I also think it's interesting that around the same time the disastrous influences of iron in our diet are discovered Margaret Thatcher, 'The Iron Lady', dies. FWIW

Laura said:
Odyssey said:
I just found this site: _http://ironoverload.org/index.html

They offer the book for $14.95 plus $2.00 shipping and handling. You have to call for it. I just called but the voice mail came on.

That's where ya'll ought to get it then. We can also make a pdf for those in countries that don't have access to this option.

I think that would be great, because I can't pay with paypal. :(

--

I've got my test today. Mi ferritin is at 178. That is considered to be normal according to lab references so I don't think I'll get a prescription from the doctor to do the decantting... But there's a blood donation campaign going on now so I guess I'll go and check if I can give some blood even if I weigh less than 50 Kilos.

There's a recent article out about a study on iron disorders in which they talk more about the role of both macrophages and hepcidin (Hamp), and ways that they're experimenting with a gene called Tmprss6 to regulate the latter:

Dr. Rivella and his team found that a third player is essential: macrophages, the immune cells that engulf cellular garbage and pathogens. Macrophages had been known to digest the iron left when old blood cells are targeted for destruction, but Dr. Rivella discovered that they also are necessary for stress erythropoiesis. He found macrophages need to physically touch erythroblasts, the factories that make red blood cells, in order for more factories to be created so that they can churn out red blood cells.

"No one knew macrophages were a part of emergency red blood cell production. We now know they provide fuel to push red blood cell factories to work faster," says the study's lead author Dr. Pedro Ramos, a former postdoctoral researcher at Weill Cornell [...]

Iron control is regulated, first and foremost, by hepcidin or Hamp, a hormone secreted into the bloodstream by the liver. Hamp controls the so-called "iron gate" in the intestines, a protein known as ferroportin. Ferroportin allows the body to absorb iron from food to help make red blood cells. (Iron latches on to the oxygen that the blood cells carry.) If iron levels are too high from iron-rich foods that are consumed, Hamp levels increase, which shuts the door on ferroportin's iron gate, blocking iron absorption, says Weill Cornell's Dr. Carla Casu, a postdoctoral researcher in Dr. Rivella's laboratory and one of the two lead authors of this study with Dr. Guo at Isis Pharmaceuticals. Patients with beta-thalassemia and hemochromatosis have levels of Hamp that are too low, so the body absorbs more iron than is healthy. Hemochromatosis occurs because of a deficit in the HFE gene that controls the Hamp hormone. "Hamp is sleeping. It doesn't wake up when iron comes along, so too much iron is absorbed," says Dr. Rivella. The defect in beta-thalassemia is due to a defect in the globin gene that helps make hemoglobin. So Hamp is shut down because the body senses the anemia, and believes that more iron is required to make red cells. As a result, there is iron overload." The researchers found an answer to the iron overload in both diseases by studying a third disease, a childhood disorder in which a mutation in a gene called Tmprss6 causes Hamp levels to rise too high, so not enough iron is being extracted from the diet. Tmprss6 keeps Hamp levels high during childhood and adolescence, so a body cannot use iron successfully to grow.

They reasoned that if they could create the conditions of Tmprss6 mutation—high levels of Hamp hormone and repression of the body's use of iron—in patients with thalassemia and hemochromatosis, they could treat those conditions. "If we block Tmprss6, we increase the expression of Hamp to normal levels, with the consequence that iron does not now accumulate," Dr. Monia says.

The original study is here and a short video by the authors explaining it can be found here.

I got my blood test results today. My ferritin level is 286.4 (range is 40 - 300). I tried to tell him that I felt that even though I was in the "acceptable" range, that 286 was too high. Of course he shrugged it off saying that I had nothing to worry about and according to the rest of the test results, I am in excellent health. I did forget to mention to him that I had donated blood three weeks before the test, which could mean that my ferritin levels are probably above 300. I can give blood again in about 3 weeks time, but maybe I should first wait another 2 weeks or so and get another blood test to get a more accurate reading of my ferritin levels, (I'll have to see a different doctor, I'm going to try and contact a Hematologist tomorrow).

Thank you Laura and all for the amount of research being done on Hemochromatosis and the implications of iron overload.

Zadius Sky said:
Shijing said:
Gandalf said:
Here's the good link:

Thanks Gandalf!

Ditto.

Hesper said:
I also think it's interesting that around the same time the disastrous influences of iron in our diet are discovered Margaret Thatcher, 'The Iron Lady', dies. FWIW

Hmm, indeed.

Shijing said:
There's a recent article out about a study on iron disorders in which they talk more about the role of both macrophages and hepcidin (Hamp), and ways that they're experimenting with a gene called Tmprss6 to regulate the latter:
[...]
The original study is here and a short video by the authors explaining it can be found here.

Thanks Shijing

A lot of people are going to face the issue of doctors who don't have a real clue. Well, that's no surprise since we've learned that it is true is about any given situation. Our recent radio show was about this. But the consequences of this cluelessness on the part of many, if not most, doctors, is going to be the destruction of your health exactly as is chronicled in the book "The Iron Elephant" (among many books about medical ignorance). So, what to do when your doctor says "don't worry about it" even though you FEEL bad and would like to try lowering your iron levels?

I can only tell you our experience. The doctor who saw my daughter said "well, I can't give a diagnosis unless there is organ damage" and of course, without the diagnosis he won't prescribe the phlebotomies to lower the levels. It doesn't matter to him that she felt better within days of donating blood so there was a direct cause - effect relationship. And I'm not able to believe my ears when I hear a doctor saying to me: "I have to wait for the organs to be irreversibly damaged before I am willing to do anything..." What happened to reading the clues at an early stage and doing something BEFORE the damage is done and is probably un-fixable?

Okay... what are the options? Possible irreversible damage or "do it yourself".

It turns out that there are videos on youtube that teach a person how to do it themselves. One can probably search around on the internet and find a doctor or clinic that will help or the equipment needed.

Each person has to evaluate the situation for themselves. The one good thing here is that we can get our blood tested on our own initiative without a prescription so we'll be doing that regularly to monitor things.

It is totally bizarre that staying healthy has become almost a Black Market activity.

Back
Top Bottom