Hemochromatosis and Autoimmune Conditions

I just ordered The Iron Elephant (looks like the 1993 edition) off ebay for a good deal. I had my blood work done at the beginning of December 2012 and some of my relevant iron results were:

Hemoglobin 16.3 g/Dl (ref: 13 - 17)
Hematocrit 47% (ref: 40 - 50%)
Iron 111 mcg/Dl (ref: 45 - 160)
UIBC 181 mcg/Dl (ref: 110 - 370)
TIBC 292 mcg/Dl (ref: 228 - 428)
% Saturation 38% (ref: 15 - 40%)
Ferritin 138.3 ng/Ml (ref 30 - 400)

I do find it a little odd that their reference range for Ferritin is so wide--to me, that usually suggests that they don't really know and are probably making stuff up.

I donated blood either in December or January maybe, but it didn't seem to really make me feel any better (actually, it made me feel worse at the time, but I didn't have a good benchmark for comparison due to other health factors). Just in case, though, I switched from cooking with cast iron to stainless steel. I'm also partly of Irish and Scottish descent and don't think that I ever had any problems with iron when I was vegan, so it does make me wonder. That, and I've had some chronic problems since being paleo and keto that still haven't cleared up--I think mainly with my liver--which also makes me a little suspicious, but my blood test results really aren't convincing in that regard. Could I be more sensitive to iron and so experience symptoms with a lower ferritin level than others? I'll probably donate blood again and see if anything improves.

Oxajil said:
Jeez, well apparently one of the rules that allows a person to donate blood in the Netherlands is that you have to weigh more than 50 kilos. Unfortunately right now I'm just on 50 kilos, but most days under. So that won't allow me to donate blood :( I still sent them a mail to ask if there is a possibility whether I still am able to donate, i.e. whether there'd be the possibility for me to donate less than others do if I'd weigh less than 50 kilos. Also here, women may only donate blood max. three times a year, and men four times a year.

If you're just under, and I presume they weigh you with your clothes on, could you put some relatively small heavy things in your pockets or shoes or something? Like a few rolls of coins in your pockets or something? It may be better not to donate if you don't weigh enough, though, so just a thought.

Thank you for digging this so useful information Laura!

As some members have been pointing I think it is important to note how one feels (as in felt energy level and general daily mood) and correlate it with the serum ferritin levels in each blood test and/or before and after bloodletting.

The fatigue I have been feeling the last couple of months after slowly transitioning to KD beginning last July makes a lot of sense after reading all of this. I have my family history on two sides back to the 14th century, one originating on the Isle of Man and the other from what is the Slavic region in Europe. It makes me wonder if I have HH due to family origins. Perhaps a genetic test is in order here.

I do remember years ago having a blood test and I was told I had unusually high iron levels. The doctors back then said it was from smoking, but that was 20 years ago and much research has been done since then. In any case, since I haven't been to a general doctor in so long, I am curious as to what all of my levels are. Time to set up an appointment.

Great information! Thank you Laura for starting this thread.

Foxx said:
I do find it a little odd that their reference range for Ferritin is so wide--to me, that usually suggests that they don't really know and are probably making stuff up.

Yeah! Like so many people are showing up with such high ferritin levels, that they just "resize" the new normal.

And Margaret Tatcher leaves us right when we start to dig some informations regarding iron-related health problems... This is priceless.

Psyche said:
Foxx said:

Yeah! Like so many people are showing up with such high ferritin levels, that they just "resize" the new normal.

Isn't that what reference ranges are?

Laura said:
Whether you have high ferritin levels or not, there could be issues with iron.

I just received the book "The Iron Elephant:What You Should Know about the Dangers of Excess Body Iron" and after giving it a quick skim and reading some parts more carefully, I'd highly recommend it to everyone.

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Elephant-Should-Dangers-Excess/dp/0963254707/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365165271&sr=8-2&keywords=iron+elephant

I took a look at that link on the 5th and there was a copy for $.01, and now the cheapest book is going for $54.13. Wow.

I'll keep an eye for it at the used bookstore. Thanks for the recommendation.

Tomek said:
And Margaret Tatcher leaves us right when we start to dig some informations regarding iron-related health problems... This is priceless.

I woke up to the news of her death, and that was my first thought too!

I ordered the Iron Elephant yesterday, and I am looking forward to reading it. As soon as I can I will try to get my ferrittin (and other blood iron) levels checked. Thanks so much for the research!

Megan said:

I think I have stumbled upon 4 or 5 different ranges depending on the lab/country. That is not reassuring...

Zadius Sky said:
Laura said:
Whether you have high ferritin levels or not, there could be issues with iron.

I just received the book "The Iron Elephant:What You Should Know about the Dangers of Excess Body Iron" and after giving it a quick skim and reading some parts more carefully, I'd highly recommend it to everyone.

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Elephant-Should-Dangers-Excess/dp/0963254707/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365165271&sr=8-2&keywords=iron+elephant

I took a look at that link on the 5th and there was a copy for $.01, and now the cheapest book is going for $54.13. Wow.

I'll keep an eye for it at the used bookstore. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thank you for posting this observation on the big jump of the cost of the book. I, too, looked into purchasing the book when Laura first mentioned the title, and I also noticed that there were a number of "The Iron Elephant" books that were priced way under $10.00's but didn't order at the time. When I went back today, the prices had increased unbelievably. At first I thought I was not remembering correctly, until you posted the above. Maybe the less expensive one's got bought up?? Guess I'll wait on purchasing.

From now on, when Laura recommends a book, order right away!!!

Yep. Now that book is expensive almost like Clube and Napier. What a heck?

Oxajil said:
Jeez, well apparently one of the rules that allows a person to donate blood in the Netherlands is that you have to weigh more than 50 kilos. Unfortunately right now I'm just on 50 kilos, but most days under. So that won't allow me to donate blood :( I still sent them a mail to ask if there is a possibility whether I still am able to donate, i.e. whether there'd be the possibility for me to donate less than others do if I'd weigh less than 50 kilos. Also here, women may only donate blood max. three times a year, and men four times a year.

The same rule applies here, but for 60 kilos. But, unfortunately, after checking, I won't be able to donate for now, because they don't receive blood from those who are not Belorussian citizens. Will try to see if I'll be able to get my ferritin levels checked first. Some years ago I did a blood test that included ferritin, and I remember that was surprised to see that although I had low hemoglobin and RBC count (well, on the lowest level within norm), ferritin was quite ok and further on the scale. Don't remember the number exactly.

nicklebleu said:
logos5x5,

A feeling of tiredness is such an unspecific symptom that it is very hard to know where it comes from. Also one should never forget "outside" influences which may cause or worsen such a state.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cause and just continue to optimize diet and your life in general as much as you can. From the lab results it would definitely be beneficial for you to decant some blood to lower your ferritin levels. You might find that after donating some blood or bloodletting 500 ml your symptoms may get better.

Hope that helps!

True nicklebleu, thanks. I'll start this week with the blood donations. I'll post the progress here.

One funny thing that I've learned this weekend, is that my grandmother made regular blood donations by prescription. I don't know when this stopped, but was for many years, or so they told me. Now no one in my family remembers exactly why, they remember that has to do with high levels of 'something' in her blood. Maybe this was related to this iron matter? I'm not sure. The thing is that I cannot ask her personally because she's suffering from acute memory loss :(, but I'll dig up more. Also, she's half Irish, half Scottish.

Megan said:
Psyche said:
Foxx said:

Regarding reference ranges there is from_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reference_ranges_for_blood_tests
Reference ranges are usually given as what are the usual (or normal) values found in the population, more specifically the prediction interval that 95% of the population fall into
If a level is outside the reference range, it does not necessarily mean that one is ill; it means that one belongs to the 5 % that are out of the "normal" range.

As my mothers family is from Ireland originally and my father is third generation here to the States from Scandinavia (Sweden), I would like to get this checked, especially since being Keto for so long.

I had some general nutritional testing done not too long ago , and zinc and iron were really low. I have always been anemic. If I am understanding correctly anemia has nothing to do with ferritin levels.

Would it be better to order the genetic test or get a ferritin reading from a blood test at a lab? Or, can you get a ferratin reading by donating blood?

Back
Top Bottom