Hemochromatosis and Autoimmune Conditions

Recently I've had some heart problems which I posted about under the Heart problems - advice appreciated thread, but since Gaby suggested that it may be related to Iron Ferratin overload, I am posting the continuation of my saga here. Short summary, Afib popped up out of nowhere two weeks ago, it was pretty intense and scary at moments, but never life threatening. Intensity waxed and waned on a day to day basis. It was always the worst when I lied down for bed. Donating a pint of blood was the only thing that help me, however it was short lived. Afib came back last night rather intensely so I drove my self to the hospital again seeing as though I couldn't sleep at all and my heart's beats where way off.

This time however, I got the correct Iron test:

Troponin I: <0.012ng/ml
Iron, Total: 71 mcg/dl
Iron Binding Capacity, Total (CALC): 207 mcg/ml
% Saturation (TBC) 34%
Ferritin: 208.0ng/ml
Transferrin: 148mg/dL
D-Dimer Quantitative: <215 ng/ml FEU

Note that these numbers are post donating a pint of blood, and many many blood tests in a one week span. Per Gaby's article that Breo kindly shared with me:

Some researchers suggest that ferritin should fall between 20-80 ng/ml, with an ideal range being 40-60 ng/ml. If you are above those levels, but less than 150, consider donating at the blood bank. You can only benefit and at the same time, your blood will potentially go to someone who needs it more.

So, my ferratin levels are still high even after all the blood I've "Decanted" this week. Being the cheeky bugger that I am, I convinced the nurse who discharged me that he had previously taken off my blood catheter. So I left the hospital with it still in my vein and well taped to my arm. Seemed like a clever way to decant more blood this week to me 😜

So, my ferratin levels are still high even after all the blood I've "Decanted" this week. Being the cheeky bugger that I am, I convinced the nurse who discharged me that he had previously taken off my blood catheter. So I left the hospital with it still in my vein and well taped to my arm. Seemed like a clever way to decant more blood this week to me 😜

It's ferritin, not ferratin. :-)

I am by no means an expert, and others will correct me if I'm wrong, but having seen other people's values, I don't think that 200 is too high. It's higher than ideal, yes, and giving blood is good, but some members of my family had it at 1000, to give you an idea. Also, what I read, FWIW, is that you would lose about 30 or 40 points for each blood donation, so you can assume that 240 was roughly your previous value.

But did you get any other diagnosis or treatment from the hospital? Or the electrocardiogram/cardiologist visit? That sounds a bit scary, and you are young. Hopefully you'll soon know the cause and can fix the problem easily. Keep us posted!

Good to know, thank you. Perhaps ferritin is not the culprit then?

Unfortunately, no other diagnosis at the hospital. The only advise I got was to stop drinking coffee and go see your practitioner to figure out what is wrong. Lately, I only drink one cup a day and I did stop that, but I didn't notice any difference. Frankly, instead of seeing a practitioner, since at this point since I have passed every blood test, x-ray, and 3 separate ECGs, I'm inclined more to go see an acupuncturist first.

Back
Top Bottom