Hemochromatosis and Autoimmune Conditions

Psyche said:
When it was done, they offered me breakfast in the "blood bank lounge" : eggs, ham and water. I ate it while I chatted with other blood donors about the optimal diet for health :cool2:

WOW, Psyche, what planet are you living on?

Here in Oz they only offer you those dreadful sandwiches, maybe some fruit and those boxed fruit drinks - I generally make a beeline for the door, much to the dismay of those steely-eyed desk ladies ....

:lol:

nicklebleu said:
Psyche said:
When it was done, they offered me breakfast in the "blood bank lounge" : eggs, ham and water. I ate it while I chatted with other blood donors about the optimal diet for health :cool2:

Here in Oz they only offer you those dreadful sandwiches, maybe some fruit and those boxed fruit drinks - I generally make a beeline for the door, much to the dismay of those steely-eyed desk ladies ....

Basically what i thought as well. My experience was telling them i couldn't tolerate what they were offering due to allergies, to which they dismissed. (no joke)
What did they offer? Tap/bottled water & a cookie! One can only imagine what GMO poisons (& the quantity of the poisons in the water too) they contained.

Psyche said:
Mac said:
I finally got some time to get the tests done.

TIBC 288 ug/dl
UIBC 232 ug/dl
Serum Iron 56 ug/dl
Iron Saturation 19 %
Serum Ferritin 109 ng/ml
Transferrin 249 mg/dl

Mac

That is not that bad Mac. Can you donate some blood? Otherwise some EDTA might bring the levels to optimal ;)

I am going for a blood donation this morning. I'll see how I feel in the next week or so then try EDTA. Overall I feel pretty good most of time. In the morning I don't feel good at all until I have breakfast, usually bacon, then a cup or so of coffee. Since I am not working a full time job I don't seem to need coffee near as much. It took quite a bit more to get me cranked for a day at work.

Mac

nicklebleu said:

:lol: The health care system in this side of the world is one favorite child so to speak. Also, they were preparing the blood bank for the local festivities which involves a lot of bulls and blood baths :/ So donors were welcomed right before and they included in their menu "tortilla" (the eggs and ham) which is traditional here.

They arrange parties and give medals after a number of donations. You are right, it sounds almost surreal. :lol:

Ham and eggs wow! When I went to donate all they had was juice boxes, chocolate bars and cookies. I had a tough time explaining for the 10th time to the nurse why I don't drink juice boxes, even when they are made from "100% juice" :P Next time I'll come prepared with some beef jerky :)

I had my blood donation this morning. A little pain, not much. The lady said my veins tend to "roll" which maybe caused the pain last time. She said she had to steady it in some way. I didn't really understand what she meant by that. She said she would put a note in the computer so they did it that way next time. It took just a little over 7 minutes to fill the bag.

It's been about 5 hours now. I feel very tired, slept most of the afternoon, feel weak and very down. Not depressed really. I just don't feel up to doing anything. I will take it easy the rest of the day, hopefully feel better in the morning.

Mac

I was very tired after the blood donation 10/26. I slept most of the afternoon and evening. I thought perhaps that I should not have done it I was so weak.

But the next day I felt good, better than before the donation. Clear thinking, more energy in a very subtle way. Not as "heavy", more able to do needed tasks. So it looks like there was some iron loading even though my numbers on the recent tests were not too bad. I am greatly encouraged at this point.

I won't be able to do another donation for 2 months. So in a week or so will start EDTA.

Mac

I generally plan to be tired and need rest after donating. I mean, geeze, it's only natural!

Mac said:
I won't be able to do another donation for 2 months. So in a week or so will start EDTA.
Mac

Hi Mac, if possible, get your levels checked before you donate again.

Perceval said:
Mac said:
Mac

Hi Mac, if possible, get your levels checked before you donate again.

Yes, I will. It will be interesting to see what EDTA brings. In addition to iron I probably have some other metals issues. I have some mercury amalgams that could be causing some trouble. I have thought of having them removed but it would be an arduous expensive process. Plus who knows what other metals I might have picked up over the years.

Interesting note regarding coffee. The morning before the donation I had one cup of coffee early then drank several glass of distilled water. I found that the water gave me a similar lift as the coffee. So maybe what my body needs is hydration in the morning not a stimulant. I have been experimenting with this too.

I haven't read anything about the Far Infrared Bag in relation to iron and metals removal. I do feel better for a few days after a session in the bag.

Mac

Mac said:
I have some mercury amalgams that could be causing some trouble. I have thought of having them removed but it would be an arduous expensive process. Plus who knows what other metals I might have picked up over the years.

If you remove one amalgam at a time, it might prove safer in the long run. You are exposed to less toxicity and then, you don't get hit with a big bill at one time.

Interesting note regarding coffee. The morning before the donation I had one cup of coffee early then drank several glass of distilled water. I found that the water gave me a similar lift as the coffee. So maybe what my body needs is hydration in the morning not a stimulant. I have been experimenting with this too.

I noticed this with hunger, I mix being thirsty with being hungry.

Laura said:
I generally plan to be tired and need rest after donating. I mean, geeze, it's only natural!

I wonder if that might not be a little more common with people with significant iron overload. When the blood replenishes itself more quickly due to more iron being available, that might be tiring.

Megan said:
Laura said:
I wonder if that might not be a little more common with people with significant iron overload. When the blood replenishes itself more quickly due to more iron being available, that might be tiring.

That could very well be. My test numbers came in only slightly above the optimal level, and I felt fine after donating a pint. No dizziness, fatigue or nausea at all.

Finally an opportunity to share some lab results (from end of June 2013)

iron 104 mcg/dL (45-170)
TIBC 311 mcg/dL (250-425)
saturation 33 % (20-50)
ferritin 129 ng/mL (20-380)
transferrin 229 mg/dL (188-341)

I think these aren't bad, but wouldn't hurt to improve.

I've already made a blood donation (can repeat after 8 weeks), and trying alpha-lipoic-acid, EDTA in the morning, followed with minerals and zinc in the evening (3 days on, 4 days off). Repeated this for 3 weeks, stopping now for a couple of weeks and will resume.

Overall energy levels seem improved but haven't noticed anything dramatic. However, I'm not very active physically as the bulk of my time is spent in front of a computer.

Tentatively, my next lab visit is in 6 months and will see if there is any change.

I also have cholesterol numbers which I'll post in the Ketogenic Diet thread.

Mac said:
I have thought of having them removed but it would be an arduous expensive process.
Hi Mac,
If You ever plan to visit Poland I may tell You that removing amalgams is not that expensive.
I have removed all my amalgams almost two years ago and it costed me approx 25 EUR per "one drilling". I had in total something like 6 "silver fillings". In one run my dentist was able to take two of them.

Just for You to know :)
Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom