Hemochromatosis and Autoimmune Conditions

I had my only filling removed a month ago. It was kinda expensive, but at least the dentist was aware of the dangers of mercury vapors. He was equipped with a huge air filter, located just next to the operatory field, to absorb as much vapor as possible, and of course he used a rubber dam. It was a painful experience, because the mask he used to protect my nose from the vapors was also covering my eyes, so I wasn't able to see anything during the procedure, and I had trouble to keep my mouth open enough to let him use his abrasive tools. So, because I wasn't seeing anything, I had no way to know when to put some extra efforts on my jaw to let him do his things. At one moment I had to swallow some saliva, and he started yelling that he could have damaged the teeth or the gum and that I had to be very, very careful. As I said, it was a stressful 15 minutes experience.

But it was also a mandatory procedure. I have some DMSA ready to use, but from what I understand, it's very dangerous to use DMSA if you still have mercury fillings. The DMSA, once in your bloodstream, can also appear in your saliva and dissolve some mercury from your filling(s), which will then be relocated God knows where. And mercury seems to LOVE the brain and the CNS. I'll start the DMSA protocol once my current IT formation is over, by the end of august, because for some people the chelation can be quite debilitating, a state which is not compatible with what I'm actually doing, learning programmation algorithms.

I have a signal system with my dentist, the "time out" thing they use in football with the hands. He knows when I do that, he gets out of the way and I sit up and spit.

Tomek said:
But it was also a mandatory procedure. I have some DMSA ready to use, but from what I understand, it's very dangerous to use DMSA if you still have mercury fillings. The DMSA, once in your bloodstream, can also appear in your saliva and dissolve some mercury from your filling(s), which will then be relocated God knows where.

I am not sure where you got this information from - in my understanding this is incorrect. DMSA and other chelators form quite tight bonds with heavy metals and thus render them unavailable in the body for evil things until they get excreted from your body. In general the affinity is thankfully higher for nasty metals than for beneficial ones, so that the metals don't usually get dropped and exchanged for other ones - unless it happens to be another nasty, like lead. Don't know which one is worse, lead or mercury, some say lead is worse, probably more so because we are in general much more contaminted with it. But if you have amalgam in your mouth you will be exposed to mercury - full stop.

Of course I could be wrong and there is another mechanism involved that I am unaware of - so if you have a source for that information it would be much anticipated.

nicklebleu said:
Of course I could be wrong and there is another mechanism involved that I am unaware of - so if you have a source for that information it would be much anticipated.
Most of what I found regarding chelation, DMSA and mercury fillings came from a french forum : _http://www.forum-melodie.fr/phpBB3/
This website is also a good source of informations in both english and french : _http://www.cinak.com/home.php?id=english

Tomek said:
I had my only filling removed a month ago. It was kinda expensive, but at least the dentist was aware of the dangers of mercury vapors. He was equipped with a huge air filter, located just next to the operatory field, to absorb as much vapor as possible, and of course he used a rubber dam. It was a painful experience, because the mask he used to protect my nose from the vapors was also covering my eyes, so I wasn't able to see anything during the procedure, and I had trouble to keep my mouth open enough to let him use his abrasive tools. So, because I wasn't seeing anything, I had no way to know when to put some extra efforts on my jaw to let him do his things. At one moment I had to swallow some saliva, and he started yelling that he could have damaged the teeth or the gum and that I had to be very, very careful. As I said, it was a stressful 15 minutes experience.

But it was also a mandatory procedure. I have some DMSA ready to use, but from what I understand, it's very dangerous to use DMSA if you still have mercury fillings. The DMSA, once in your bloodstream, can also appear in your saliva and dissolve some mercury from your filling(s), which will then be relocated God knows where. And mercury seems to LOVE the brain and the CNS. I'll start the DMSA protocol once my current IT formation is over, by the end of august, because for some people the chelation can be quite debilitating, a state which is not compatible with what I'm actually doing, learning programmation algorithms.

Thanks for the info Tomek. I too have only 1 filling to be removed and i am trying not to stress out over this mercury vapour issue. I'm still trying to look around for somewhere that doesn't require a mortgage for it as every dentist visit has been "pricey." It seems you were fortunate to have a dentist (i'm assuming) that wasn't arrogant or condescending & had the knowledge/awareness of the necessary procedures.

You're experience with the mask makes me apprehensive thinking of past experiences like root canal (no they're not using identical equipment but still, the lengthy process manhandling of the jaw etc - i detest dentist visits almost as much as g.p./hospital ones) for instance. I also used to have breathing difficulties during my visits when my head would be tilted back, mouth open for minutes with saliva falling which would make me nervous about what i was swallowing after all the drilling & solutions used. 15 minutes of that & (knowing my luck) an arrogant "fluoride is good for you" dentist (& i hope my breathing in that situation will be better since my dietary reversals) adding to my discomfort is probably going to get me emotional, how on earth do you not start splitting/internally considering when you are "trapped" like that? :mad: lol.

I have also just received some EDTA & will start re-reading all the material on how to use it. I actually have the money to get the filling removed (well, probably most of the money) now but i don't want to rush into it & make a costly (in more ways than one) mistake. Hopefully i won't be 1 of those people with difficult reactions to the EDTA especially as i'll soon be taking on more at work (as i did last month to get the EDTA & money for amalgam removal) so as to cover the cost of renewing my minerals & vitamins during the chelation period.
I'll also try Laura's "time-out" & that should be good. In the past i would just squirm & sort of flail about in the seat until he (they're usually males aren't they?) would turned around to get something & then i'd quickly spit.

H-KQGE said:
I'll also try Laura's "time-out" & that should be good. In the past i would just squirm & sort of flail about in the seat until he (they're usually males aren't they?) would turned around to get something & then i'd quickly spit.

Hope your dentist is a sport fan!

time-out-Small.jpg

I think it is not true that taking DMSA while you have fillings is bad. I did it because I wanted to get my levels down asap, even before starting the mercury removal process. And then I did it during and after, too. I don't know who came up with such a silly thing, but I've seen it a number of places and haven't been able to track it to a single evidence based source. I think somebody just thunk it up and a lot of parrots have been repeating it ever since.

Laura said:
I think it is not true that taking DMSA while you have fillings is bad. I did it because I wanted to get my levels down asap, even before starting the mercury removal process. And then I did it during and after, too. I don't know who came up with such a silly thing, but I've seen it a number of places and haven't been able to track it to a single evidence based source. I think somebody just thunk it up and a lot of parrots have been repeating it ever since.

Erm.. i know i should go through the posts to find this out (i have done once this past month but couldn't find specifics & was probably too tired from work) & still intend to either way, but can i get a clarification on "before, during & after" for EDTA please? These were my sentiments too but i doubted myself (as always) since there's so many knowledgeable peeps "ahead" of me on these threads that the hundreds of links seemed to confirm that i was in the wrong about it. From what i've read on DMSA it seemed to be too dangerous for me to try, & i can't get hold of it even if i wanted, so it's EDTA all the way for me.

Laura said:
Well, sorry if I parroted this belief that fillings must absolutely be removed before attempting DMSA chelation therapy. I've read it so many times from many different sources ! And it seems very logical that if one wants to get rid of heavy metal from his body, the very least he can do about it was to remove one of the primary source of contamination, from his mouth.

Tomek said:
Laura said:
Well, sorry if I parroted this belief that fillings must absolutely be removed before attempting DMSA chelation therapy. I've read it so many times from many different sources ! And it seems very logical that if one wants to get rid of heavy metal from his body, the very least he can do about it was to remove one of the primary source of contamination, from his mouth.

Yeah, I read it too and I think I may even have shared it on the forum here for consideration and further investigation.

What really got me about these sorts of claims was the nonsense that was being propagated about xylitol that was along the same line. I tracked that one back to some guy that wanted to sell his own book and he didn't have a single legitimate piece of data about it.

I think there are much precautions spread out because some individuals might be particularly sensitive to mercury. From what I read and seen, I never heard of anyone completely disabled by not doing a strict protocol removal. I came across a story in an homeopathic book, but the person was still helped by alternative mercury detox methods. Perhaps he went too fast too quickly?

Sidney Baker (Detox and Healing book) admits openly that is better to have mercury fillings removed and provides the detox protocol for autistic children involving DMSA for a wider public, clarifying that it is so safe that many people and parents do these protocols themselves at home with no harm. This later one is clarified in the Autism Research Institute. He then goes on to recommend safety protocols for mercury removal and that it is best to have a professional care guidance. But even Andrew Hall Cutler, author of "Amalgam Illness, Diagnosis and Treatment", admits that if anything, you can have one filling removed at a time, making sure your dentist uses at least a suction device.

H-KQGE said:
...Thanks for the info Tomek. I too have only 1 filling to be removed and i am trying not to stress out over this mercury vapour issue...

That's good. The people at higher risk are those with a mouthful of fillings. And it's not just the mercury. As I hinted earlier, "a mouthful of metal" can create electrical problems that affect the brain and the parts of the body controlled by the affected part of the brain. It also can depend on the details of the current flow, or so I am told, which can be measured with the right equipment.

I never had but four or five amalgam fillings at the peak, and those went in when I was 41. There was no sudden downturn in my health after that, either. One filling has since been removed (using no precautions) and replaced, at my request, with a different material. 3 or 4 remaining amalgam fillings is a concern for me, and it could be affecting other seemingly intractable digestive issues (but not the cause of something I have had all my life), but it is still not the highest priority.

I have had the same dentist since (by no coincidence) I was 41, 22 years now, and it is hard to change, but I have started to shop around for another anyway.

The dental issue that is concerning me the most is root canals, of which I have four. They sometimes (perhaps often) lead to chronic infection involving, potentially, some very potent pathogenic bacteria. Weston A Price himself did the early research, but I first learned about the problem through GreenMedInfo and I initially took a "shoot the messenger" approach. I suspected Sayer Ji of not checking his sources very well before publishing. Unfortunately, his source was not exaggerating. And unfortunately, there is not really a good alternative to root canals either. It makes me want to change the subject. Maybe later.

Megan said:
And unfortunately, there is not really a good alternative to root canals either. It makes me want to change the subject. Maybe later.

I think the only good alternative to root canals is to pull out the tooth, wait for the infection to settle and then implant a new one or have a bridge of some sorts. Only problem is time and money.
I am not a dentist, but that is what I would do if I needed a root canal ...

Megan on Today at 03:12:33pm said:
the dental issue that is concerning me the most is root canals, of which I have four. They sometimes (perhaps often) lead to chronic infection involving, potentially, some very potent pathogenic bacteria. Weston A Price himself did the early research, but I first learned about the problem through GreenMedInfo and I initially took a "shoot the messenger" approach. I suspected Sayer Ji of not checking his sources very well before publishing. Unfortunately, his source was not exaggerating. And unfortunately, there is not really a good alternative to root canals either. It makes me want to change the subject. Maybe later.

Good grief! I sincerely feel for anyone having to go through just 1 root canal let alone multiples. My last one was terrifying (which i wouldn't have expected, probably my overactive imagination & the sound of the drilling i suppose) & i've still got 2 holes in my teeth from ten years ago.
I neglected them due to unemployment, then illness (autoimmune) then general slackness as i learned to eat on only 1 side of my mouth. (Yeah i know, don't bother..)
I often wondered about infection but just blocked out those thoughts. My last visit to a dentist was last January way before "paleo transitioning" when i was in agony (compounded by the autoimmune issues) & the nurse told me as i was leaving that she was really worried that i would lose most of my teeth due to the onset of gum disease & that i should eat less sugar. (but get fluoridated more obviously)

That annoyed me as the dentist said i had a few signs of early gum disease & the real issue was plaque build up (the way she said it was as if she enjoyed telling me off & gave me all sorts of "you're dumb" insinuations) but maybe she had a chat with the nurse. Anyway apart from their exaggerations, if i go back there again the look on their faces should be interesting as i'm pain free & my main sugar is from a handful of carbs... so there! :P
In all seriousness though, good luck to all facing the removal(s) of mercury & chelating, & especially root canal, i can't stand the dentist experience & it's making me feel uncomfortable thinking about it as well.

nicklebleu said:
Megan said:
And unfortunately, there is not really a good alternative to root canals either. It makes me want to change the subject. Maybe later.

I think the only good alternative to root canals is to pull out the tooth, wait for the infection to settle and then implant a new one or have a bridge of some sorts. Only problem is time and money.
I am not a dentist, but that is what I would do if I needed a root canal ...

Implants can be problematic too. *sigh*

One dentist that has both performed many root canals in his earlier days (and discovered the havoc they can sometimes wreak) and received them as well, suggests that if they are back teeth, doing without may be the best option. Mine are. *double sigh*

I believe that particular dentist said that on The Myer's Way podcast: TMW Episode 12: Biological Dentistry with Stuart Nunnally, DDS. I couldn't swear to it, though.

Back
Top Bottom