Hemochromatosis and Autoimmune Conditions

Mikel said:
Mac said:
I have thought of having them removed but it would be an arduous expensive process.
Hi Mac,
If You ever plan to visit Poland I may tell You that removing amalgams is not that expensive.
I have removed all my amalgams almost two years ago and it costed me approx 25 EUR per "one drilling". I had in total something like 6 "silver fillings". In one run my dentist was able to take two of them.

Just for You to know :)
Cheers.

Are you talking about costs while following mercury-safe protocols, or just replacing the fillings the ordinary way and experiencing dangerous mercury exposure levels? The latter can be fairly cheap anywhere. Here in the US dentists even flush amalgam bits down the drain because it's minutely cheaper and for some odd reasons the regulations only "recommend" -- they don't require filtering. It's a primary source of mercury pollution.

Megan said:
Are you talking about costs while following mercury-safe protocols, or just replacing the fillings the ordinary way and experiencing dangerous mercury exposure levels? The latter can be fairly cheap anywhere. Here in the US dentists even flush amalgam bits down the drain because it's minutely cheaper and for some odd reasons the regulations only "recommend" -- they don't require filtering. It's a primary source of mercury pollution.

Wow! Hi Megan,
I did not know that there are some special protocols for mercury fillings removal.
I was happy that I removed them but maybe I have done some damage here in addition to that...
Mac,
So in that case I do not know about cheap and safe solution in Poland.
I will check that if there is something like this available here.
Greetings
Mikel

Mikel said:
Megan said:
Are you talking about costs while following mercury-safe protocols, or just replacing the fillings the ordinary way and experiencing dangerous mercury exposure levels? The latter can be fairly cheap anywhere. Here in the US dentists even flush amalgam bits down the drain because it's minutely cheaper and for some odd reason the regulations only "recommend" -- they don't require filtering. It's a primary source of mercury pollution.

Wow! Hi Megan,
I did not know that there are some special protocols for mercury fillings removal.
I was happy that I removed them but maybe I have done some damage here in addition to that...
Mac,
Greetings
Mikel

I have done it too, in an emergency situation where the filling was old and had deteriorated and my dentist had to take care of it right there and then. And I knew about the exposure problem -- which makes the experience even worse!

You may be up for some sort of heavy metal detox. The only explicit thing I have done was to buy (and use) a FIR sauna blanket, but it's something.

Mikel said:
Megan said:

Wow! Hi Megan,
Mac,
Greetings
Mikel

Well, I haven't looked into it deeply. Thanks, Megan for the tips on safer ways of doing it. I don't know how may mercury amalgams I have. Somewhere around 10 I guess some going back many years.

2-3 years ago I requested a non mercury filling from my dentist, he complied but it was easy to tell he didn't agree with my concerns. But much of his career has be based on mercury amalgams, and he is nearing retirement so probably does not want to think about it. So unlikely he would do the removal but next time I am there I will ask him if he knows anyone who does, then see if insurance will help with it.

Mac

Mac said:
...2-3 years ago I requested a non mercury filling from my dentist, he complied but it was easy to tell he didn't agree with my concerns. But much of his career has be based on mercury amalgams, and he is nearing retirement so probably does not want to think about it. So unlikely he would do the removal but next time I am there I will ask him if he knows anyone who does, then see if insurance will help with it...

One of the standard come-backs is "you'll receive more exposure from taking them out than leaving them in." That is true if you let somebody like that do the work. If you go to a "biological dentist" and you can confirm the protocols used and experience level then you are probably much better off. As I understand it, however, there is no guaranteed safe method of removal once the mercury is in your mouth. Just ways to attempt to make it safe.

Just to add emphasis on the vapor release from Mercury that Megan is discussing from wrong careless ways of amalgam dental extraction, this film demonstrates its ability to release unseen fumes:

Some Aspects of Mercury Vapors

_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgy_Nky8wMg

voyageur said:
Just to add emphasis on the vapor release from Mercury that Megan is discussing from wrong careless ways of amalgam dental extraction, this film demonstrates its ability to release unseen fumes:

Another thing to consider is to load yourself up with chelating agents (EDTA, DMSO etc.) before you go to your dentist for an amalgam extraction. This way a portion of the mercury that is freed from amalgam will be mopped up straight away - a dose of EDTA IV would be ideal, but logistics and timing would be really difficult, so high dose oral would have to do.

nicklebleu said:
voyageur said:

Another thing to consider is to load yourself up with chelating agents (EDTA, DMSO etc.) before you go to your dentist for an amalgam extraction. This way a portion of the mercury that is freed from amalgam will be mopped up straight away - a dose of EDTA IV would be ideal, but logistics and timing would be really difficult, so high dose oral would have to do.

Thanks for the info nikebleu and voyageur. I'll take a look at the video in the morning.

Mac

I'm not too sure that my dentist was using any special protocols when removing my mercury, but I was being very careful not to swallow anything. Following each removal, I did DMSA protocols, about five rounds. Since then, I've done additional DMSA and EDTA rounds.

It's great if there is a local dentist who is "in the know" and can manage the process as safely as possible. But if there isn't, one simply has to work with what is available and take precautions and do a mop-up operation afterward.

Laura said:
I'm not too sure that my dentist was using any special protocols when removing my mercury, but I was being very careful not to swallow anything. Following each removal, I did DMSA protocols, about five rounds. Since then, I've done additional DMSA and EDTA rounds.

It's great if there is a local dentist who is "in the know" and can manage the process as safely as possible. But if there isn't, one simply has to work with what is available and take precautions and do a mop-up operation afterward.

FWIW I went to a very expensive clinic with all the latest procedures, and still felt dizzy, headachy, foggy, had a clicking sound in my head, and was deaf in one ear for days afterwards. So It's probably best to just have lots of DMSA, ALA, EDTA ready and 'take the bull by the horns' so to speak.

Carlise said:
Laura said:

FWIW I went to a very expensive clinic with all the latest procedures, and still felt dizzy, headachy, foggy, had a clicking sound in my head, and was deaf in one ear for days afterwards. So It's probably best to just have lots of DMSA, ALA, EDTA ready and 'take the bull by the horns' so to speak.

I would probably even start before going - loading up with oral EDTA and DMSO beforehand, so anything that accidentally goes into your gastrointestinal tract gets caught before being absorbed. One thing that I would absolutely make sure is that the dentist is using a rubber dam - that is a rubber mat that is placed around the tooth that should catch most of the detritus that is coming off the teeth.

Laura said:

Unfortunately, much of the mercury can be released as vapor, with no way to avoid it (unless you can hold your breath for the duration of the procedure and until you are out of the room). Even the people that are researching this are frustrated. This may be a situation where the PTB have got us. For many, the only option may be to decide between the lesser of two evils -- removal or leaving it in, and to take active measures to remove mercury from the body either way.

One reason dentists seem so stupid about this could be that when researchers have measured mercury vapor levels in their work areas, the readings far exceeded legal limits. Dental providers expose themselves regularly to dangerous levels, and they may well be slowly losing their minds. My dentist is certainly no exception, and I am looking for a new one.

[Added: we haven't even touched upon root canal toxicity, or the electrical side effects on the brain of having "metal in the mouth."; effects which can vary predictably according to the corresponding meridian.]

[Oh yeah, and then there is individual sensitivity to particular dental materials. I am going to go think about something else for a while. Besides, this isn't the "dental hazards" topic.]

When I had my amalgam removed, I searched for dentists trained in its proper removal. In a city of 4 million, I found only 2. When I went in, he used a sort of tarp to isolate that tooth from the rest of my mouth, and a different type of suction device (not the standard one) which I'm guessing was to suck away any debris / vapours from my mouth. He then replaced it with a ceramic one. I didn't have DMSA at the time but I felt okay afterwards. More relieved than anything to have that out of my mouth!

fabric said:
When I went in, he used a sort of tarp to isolate that tooth from the rest of my mouth, and a different type of suction device (not the standard one) which I'm guessing was to suck away any debris / vapours from my mouth.

That is exactly what ai referred to in my earlier post - it's called a rubber dam. A lot of dentists don't use these, some probably out of lazyness, but I think that it is absolutey essential if you want amalgam removed. When I did that, I had to INSIST he used a rubber dam ...

nicklebleu said:
fabric said:
When I went in, he used a sort of tarp to isolate that tooth from the rest of my mouth, and a different type of suction device (not the standard one) which I'm guessing was to suck away any debris / vapours from my mouth.

That is exactly what ai referred to in my earlier post - it's called a rubber dam. A lot of dentists don't use these, some probably out of lazyness, but I think that it is absolutey essential if you want amalgam removed. When I did that, I had to INSIST he used a rubber dam ...

I seem to remember that these could be gas permeable, or something issue like that. In any event, if you have to insist on the rubber dam then the dentist is untrained and is not going to protect you even if he uses one.

The bottom line seems to be that there is no really solid way to protect the patient or the providers -- you just do the best you can. But that starts with finding someone that at least knows what he/she is doing. It might involve travel.

This perhaps needs its own topic? Actually, I think we have discussed it before, somewhere relating to heavy metals. I first learned about rubber dams used in amalgam removal from this forum, I do believe. (I learned about rubber dams themselves from having my first root canal. Yuck.)

Back
Top Bottom