How do you work with Social Anxiety?

Buddy said:
truth seeker said:
It wasn't fear at all but a smile. The smile was distinctly malevolent, satisfied and hungry. As if it were feeding off everyone's fear in the plane.

Now comes the questions. Was I projecting?

Hi truth seeker. My take, fwiw, is that considering that you describe his smile with such seeming certainty, it is probably an unconscious projection. In other words, the adjectives you use to describe his smile may simply be the abstractions constructed by your nervous system as a joint phenomenon between the observer and the observed. I think when we do that "itsa this", or "itsa that" with our sensory data, more often than not, we're probably saying more about ourselves (our thinking-through the energetic perceptual transaction) than we are about the objective reality.
Of course, I could be wrong and it could be as you say, so I certainly can't say for sure.

Sometimes I feel as if I'm going around in a maze - just when I think I have a handle on it, I turn a corner and find that I'm still lost.

Buddy said:
truth seeker said:
Was I seeing something in him that is in myself?

I don't see why we can't have symbols (within us) for ideas like "malevolent, satisfied and hungry" that can be compared to what we see in order to discern the reality of what we think we're reading. It seems to me that we just have to keep in mind that we are doing a conscious projection (most likely, I guess, unless we're capable of direct knowledge), that needs to be referred back to reality to be tested against relevant observations and experience and to be corrected/adjusted accordingly.

Does that make any sense?

I think so. Funny how "I" don't think that I would have this in me. "I could never be malevolent!" But this has really caused me to question myself in a way that I never considered. At a zen buddhist temple I used to go to, one of the things they always said was to ask the question: "Are you sure?" I found that this would bring me back to really question what I was perceiving. I've picked this up again recently and now really try to look the thoughts that arise when I "think" I'm seeing something.

truth seeker said:
Funny how "I" don't think that I would have this in me. "I could never be malevolent!"

I feel the same way. I don't know if I would recognize malevolence in someone, because I don't know that I have any experience with it other than vicariously, through descriptions/expressions in the entertainment media. To me, it seems, 'malevolent' would be such a destructive orientation to life itself, as to be fundamentally unspeakable - only discerned by observations, over time, of repeating patterns of destructions done by somebody. I do, however, believe I recognize 'hatefulness' as I have had that beat into me and have expressed the emotion myself at one point in my life.

truth seeker said:
But this has really caused me to question myself in a way that I never considered. At a zen buddhist temple I used to go to, one of the things they always said was to ask the question: "Are you sure?" I found that this would bring me back to really question what I was perceiving. I've picked this up again recently and now really try to look the thoughts that arise when I "think" I'm seeing something.

Yeah, we can never really afford to stop questioning everything. With existence BEing a rich, interconnected whole, it's really hard to get a 'complete fix' on something. It may help to consider that 'things' as we define them (as our nervous systems present them), consist of both sensory data as well as subjective interpretations (as we 'look at it' through our prism of subjectivity) and then maybe we can see that we have combined all this to make a 'thing'.

To see if we're on track, we then have to test for 'malevolent', or something similarly abstract, by researching and looking at the existing patterns and data and follow it all to wherever it leads.

At least, this is how it looks to me, and I could be off somewhere.

[quote author=truth seeker]I didn't think I was trying to prove something, but I probably am. I've always felt that I had to be the "nice" person and make everyone feel comfortable. [/quote]

[quote author=truth seeker]It's odd because I've never been interested in being popular but yet I've always struggled with the feeling that I wanted people to like me even if they were a jerk. [/quote]

Well you want others to like you, right. Then you want something to proof. But to what extent. Since you actually feel uncomfortable with being with others, it isn’t healthy.

to like me even if they were a jerk.

What about yourself? Even if it contradicts your ‘own’ feelings compared to ‘I want others to like me’ feeling. Doesn’t this cause a conflict inside you? It seems quite confusing to me.

[quote author=Hildegarde]What helped me at some point with social anxiety is the realization that, the time when I worry about what people think of me is precisely the time when I am paying the LEAST attention to what the people are ACTUALLY doing. [/quote]

Again ‘even if they were a jerk’ It’s difficult to see the intention of others when you are struggling with yourself ‘if they like me or not’ and ‘what to do so that they my like me’

Even so, what if others are ‘evil’ and doesn’t have the best intentions with you. You somehow have created a ‘block’. Because like you admitted. It doesn’t really matter how they are. I will be a nice person because I want to be a good person and so I need others to like me to have this confirmation of actually being a good person.

It’s a dangerous program.

I ask did you ever succeed in being the center of attention in a ‘good way’ having everybody’s approval. Did you still hate it then? Or did you somehow enjoy it?

[quote author=truth seeker]I probably do and say things at times to keep the peace. [/quote]

Do you want to be an ‘angel’? - and need other people to recognize you into it?

[quote author=truth seeker]Appearances were everything. Many things that were said indicated that she thought "we were better" than some people. I never really felt heard.[/quote]

Our parents have influence on us into how we may become. Maybe you are reflecting this on yourself.

[quote author=truth seeker]Funny, I consider myself to be creative, but also wrongly thought that talent was innate and you were either "born gifted" or you weren't. Thinking about this now also makes me sad because I spent many years not being creative because I felt I wasn't "born with the gift" but rather just someone who liked to draw/write/etc.[/quote]

Well I think that most ‘gifts’ have to be search for. They don’t give themselves away easily. You can’t always find them at the surface.

Hello Everyone,

This is a very good topic for me to talk about: I have an extremely difficult time with social interactions and I am currently spending most of my therapy sessions talking about it.

Ana said:
truth seeker said:
I ended up feeling uncomfortable/self conscious with it and developed a problem with looking at people. This, in turn, led me I think to having social anxiety which was and still is debilitating.

I don't understand what do you mean by social anxiety, How do you experience this anxiety?

While we may all experience social anxiety differently, there are some common features that have been mentioned here. I really am starting to see how most of my problems have narcissistic tendencies and internal considering at the root. All of my social interactions start with internal considering. I first measure myself up with my mental ruler that no one can measure up to. I then pass that imaginary ruler to the people that I interact with and let them measure me (in my mind) to reinforce that I do not measure up. I then take that ruler back and beat myself over the head with it. No one can measure up and I fall shortest of all. Here's an example - I may think to myself before engaging someone or a group of people that "they probably will think I am weird". To insure that the program completes successfully, I will likely say or do something that most people would consider to be weird. Then they may say "hey, you are / that is weird". And I will then confirm to myself "see, I was right, they do think I am weird" and then I feel disgusted with myself and I will dissociate or withdraw from the conversation. I will miss everything that transpires from that point forward because I am trapped in a loop of replaying the incident over and over again in my mind - I am not aware of what is occurring around me and processing it objectively - I am caught in a subjective loop of fantasy. That fantasy gets filed away and gets called upon again for the next social interaction. All of these interactions and perceptions form my history and carry forth into perpetuity. That is how I experience social anxiety.

There are times when I do not feel those things and those times are generally in a professional setting. However, just because I do not suffer from the anxiety in those situations, they are not "better" or something to reinforce. It seems that they only times I do not feel anxious is when I feel superior to my audience. I tend to grade people and let that ranking dictate the experience. If I am leading a meeting, I am the leader and you follow me. You need me to succeed. Therefore, I have worth and I feel empowered instead of anxious.

It is all extremely narcissistic and very dangerous for me. I do not think that I know what it feels like to be at ease, objective and emotionally free/balanced all at the same time with anyone but my spouse. I am not sure if I am ever being me or playing a role (personality vs. essence). When all of my internal dialog and considering reaches the point of being too much - I dissociate - I just float off and become completely detached from what is going on around me.

I have tried SSRIs and as noted, they aren't worth it for me. I have tried to force myself to "get over it" but the end result leaves me feeling like I am just "acting". I am now in therapy and I think there is potential there for me - I just started though. What I haven't tried, consistently, is to remember myself, to observe myself objectively and to come here for networking on the topic. I hope this can be a start for that.

I just wanted to comment on a few other things mentioned here. When discussing the topic of looking someone in the eye, let's not forget culture. I often makes me laugh that I can walk out my front door and hear one family yelling at their kid - "Look me in the eyes when I talk to you, boy" and another family yelling "How dare you look me in the eye when I'm talking to you". The first family would typically be Caucasian and the other family would typically be Latino. I also was taught, being from New Jersey, that if you went to NYC, DO NOT look strangers in the eye - do not look at their face even. To do so would invite confrontation and possibly, lunacy. I had one experience in the city that kind of stuck with me. Some friends and I were walking down the street after leaving a club. We saw a group of guys a block away and when they saw us seeing them they yelled "you BETTER go the other way". Now, to comply with that is to show weakness and to confront that is... well.. confrontational. We chose to keep walking toward them and they tried to mug us. There were some punches thrown and a struggle, but we ran away to safety. So yes, I tend to avoid as much interaction as possible when I'm out on the streets of NYC.

I don't think I added much to this topic other than my perspective of what occurs in social settings. What I hope for is that others can post more on the solution side of the issue and the eventually I will be able to do the same. This really is one of my biggest problems and it has robbed me of most of my life (or shall I say that I have robbed myself or that the predator has done so).

Thanks,
Christopher

bjorn said:
to like me even if they were a jerk.

What about yourself? Even if it contradicts your ‘own’ feelings compared to ‘I want others to like me’ feeling. Doesn’t this cause a conflict inside you? It seems quite confusing to me.

It definitely does cause a conflict because I didn't even like the people I thought of as jerks. I would ask myself then why did I care and could never really understand why. I now have an easier time caring less, but still there's this part that does care what people think. I wish I could explain it better than that.

bjorn said:
Even so, what if others are ‘evil’ and doesn’t have the best intentions with you. You somehow have created a ‘block’. Because like you admitted. It doesn’t really matter how they are. I will be a nice person because I want to be a good person and so I need others to like me to have this confirmation of actually being a good person.

It’s a dangerous program.

Good point. If I understand what you're saying, it doesn't matter who the person is because I end up in the same place. This is also something I need to think about.

bjorn said:
I ask did you ever succeed in being the center of attention in a ‘good way’ having everybody’s approval. Did you still hate it then? Or did you somehow enjoy it?

No, I never liked being the center of attention. It feels awkward - even in situations when I knew that people probably weren't judging me. What I'm realizing is that I'm the one judging me!

bjorn said:
truth seeker]I probably do and say things at times to keep the peace. [/quote] Do you want to be an ‘angel’? - and need other people to recognize you into it?[/quote] What do you mean by angel? As in rescuing people? [quote author=bjorn said:
truth seeker]Appearances were everything. Many things that were said indicated that she thought "we were better" than some people. I never really felt heard.[/quote] Our parents have influence on us into how we may become. Maybe you are reflecting this on yourself.[/quote] I now have no doubt that I am. I think it became confusing for me because as I was growing up said:
I have tried SSRIs and as noted, they aren't worth it for me. I have tried to force myself to "get over it" but the end result leaves me feeling like I am just "acting". I am now in therapy and I think there is potential there for me - I just started though. What I haven't tried, consistently, is to remember myself, to observe myself objectively and to come here for networking on the topic. I hope this can be a start for that.

Hi all. I've found all of your posts insightful and am encouraged by them, and I'd just like to add to this thread since I have been trying to reconcile my own anxieties--mostly social--with trying to do the Work. I can certainly relate to you, Truth Seeker, especially with your relationship with your mother. My mom, who is extremely antisocial, liked to go through celebrity or style magazines and she would literally write across the faces of the women either "ugly" or "pretty" according to her high standard of beauty. I remember seeing how easily one could be labeled as ugly, and seeing so many attractive women labeled as such--most much prettier than me--I concluded that I was unattractive and that this was my most salient trait, that others would be judging and critiquing as harshly as my mother--though she's always claimed I'm pretty, one can understand why I wouldn't trust her judgment.

Like my mother, I became somewhat obsessed with the idea of being pretty, though I was more secretive about it because I felt that there was something frivolous and destructive within this obsession and that "evolved" women shouldn't care so much about appearances. Mostly, I identified with being the "smart one," a "know-it-all." Or, like Truth Seeker, I identified with being "good and nice" so as to distract others--and myself, especially myself--from my essentially dishonest nature. I learned to pretend to be confident or indifferent at work or when compelled to interact with others but I have never really felt whole or comfortable, and so have spent too much time hiding in isolation, trying to think my way out of my problems.

For a while I've been fully aware of my lack of integration, of my tendency to be many false selves depending on circumstances, but this knowing seems to be fueling my fear of interaction, intensifying my shame and sense of worthlessness. Networking, interacting is becomong more and more difficult and I feel frozen in fear of being hurt, rejected, embarrassed, of being useless. I see now how this is just internal considering, not real, not who I am, but I don't feel like I have much to offer or any business trying to help others when I am so...fragmented. In general, I feel as though I have nothing of value to say, to contribute, because I am not yet far enough along. I actually feel a palpable, physical sense of panic/dread after I post on the forum because I am never sure whether I am being helpful or narcissistic--trying to make a meal of my brethren--and the idea of being put straight because my thinking or understanding is wrong scares me as though my very life were in danger!
I know that my "know-it-all" identity does not want to actually acknowledge it's ignorance and it's inherent "hunger." Ugh. And I know that this is the point to these communications! So please, mirror away, I'll survive and hopefully learn.

I have been doing the breathing program for a few months now, and I suspect that the predator I've recognized more and more in myself over the past few years is becoming more vicious in its quest to become "me" before it's too late. Well, I hope this is the case, and I hope I'm winning. :)

Aside from my personal issues, I have noticed in the last few days that whenever cruel, critical, or fearful thoughts bubble up in my mind about others, they are of the same nature as the degrading thoughts I've had about myself over the years. I can see my mind trying to project these labels on others as though this could alleviate my own suffering or guilt. They are not thoughts I choose, but the kind that intrude uninvited. I realize that, to a degree, my anxiety and inner considering make up the bulk of my evidence that "others" are cruel--though I've always thought myself kind because I keep these thoughts to myself, usually. I'm also seeing that, when others are cruel, it is their predator and there is really no sane reason to fear "their" predator more than the one living in my very own basement.

I know that my need to be liked or "admired" can be a handicap when it comes to seeking the truth. But for the record: Truth seeker, in my earliest posts, you responded to something I said with such compassion and sincerity and I was encouraged to keep posting because I saw that one can be nice and helpful at the same time--and that my fears were, indeed, essentially in my mind. So thank you.

And to you all, thank you for your bravery in sharing your experiences. Hopefully we can help each other past the fears that cuts us off from communion and integration. In the mean time, I will do my best to put away inner considering and "get over myself" so that I can better here what is being said.

MetaDjinn said:
Ana said:
truth seeker said:
I ended up feeling uncomfortable/self conscious with it and developed a problem with looking at people. This, in turn, led me I think to having social anxiety which was and still is debilitating.

I don't understand what do you mean by social anxiety, How do you experience this anxiety?

While we may all experience social anxiety differently, there are some common features that have been mentioned here. I really am starting to see how most of my problems have narcissistic tendencies and internal considering at the root. All of my social interactions start with internal considering. I first measure myself up with my mental ruler that no one can measure up to. I then pass that imaginary ruler to the people that I interact with and let them measure me (in my mind) to reinforce that I do not measure up. I then take that ruler back and beat myself over the head with it. No one can measure up and I fall shortest of all. Here's an example - I may think to myself before engaging someone or a group of people that "they probably will think I am weird". To insure that the program completes successfully, I will likely say or do something that most people would consider to be weird. Then they may say "hey, you are / that is weird". And I will then confirm to myself "see, I was right, they do think I am weird" and then I feel disgusted with myself and I will dissociate or withdraw from the conversation. I will miss everything that transpires from that point forward because I am trapped in a loop of replaying the incident over and over again in my mind - I am not aware of what is occurring around me and processing it objectively - I am caught in a subjective loop of fantasy. That fantasy gets filed away and gets called upon again for the next social interaction. All of these interactions and perceptions form my history and carry forth into perpetuity. That is how I experience social anxiety.

I think one of the main reasons for this anxiety is that we do not realy acknowledge the fact that we live in a world of beings who are in various stages of evolution, each of us have different lessons to learn and also each of us have several diferent levels of pathology to heal.

The most difficult thing at least for me is to realy accept the fact that we live in a ponerized world, beings who live in are realy lost in the dark, we do not know what mental health means.
Most people that are near us do not even feel contradiction between what they see and what they are because they "live" in continuous mechanical pathologies.

If we first of all, try to picture this as a real situation, then we can look at ourselves and others not trying to adapt and mold a personality that meets the demands of a dominant pathology and make us feel safe when interacting, but as a constant way to examine our behavior and that of others under the light of knowledge that we gain with effort.

Maybe inner considering is necessary in the stages of healing, what matters is that it should be as much as possible in balance with external considering(this varies depending on the pathological level) and acquisition of knowledge.

As a law of three, if you picture a triangle, knowledge, would be the base which would balance this interaction of two forces, internal and external considering.

http://glossary.cassiopaea.com/glossary.php?id=40&lsel=E
External considering is rooted in objective awareness of the environment. Its opposite, internal considering, is rooted in attachment to a subjective inner state, to one's own comfort of preconceptions or desires.

Even if a real objective state of awareness is devoid of internal consideration, it is imposible to achieve, if first we don't achieve internal freedom. OSIT

MetaDjinn said:
There are times when I do not feel those things and those times are generally in a professional setting. However, just because I do not suffer from the anxiety in those situations, they are not "better" or something to reinforce. It seems that they only times I do not feel anxious is when I feel superior to my audience. I tend to grade people and let that ranking dictate the experience. If I am leading a meeting, I am the leader and you follow me. You need me to succeed. Therefore, I have worth and I feel empowered instead of anxious.

It is all extremely narcissistic and very dangerous for me.

Maybe this is more related to the prevailing mechanicalness there may be in you professional enviroment where you're confident in what you say because you've done it many times without having unintended consequences. A Characterisitc trait of mechanicalness is feeling sureness and safety.

MetaDjinn said:
I do not think that I know what it feels like to be at ease, objective and emotionally free/balanced all at the same time with anyone but my spouse. I am not sure if I am ever being me or playing a role (personality vs. essence). When all of my internal dialog and considering reaches the point of being too much - I dissociate - I just float off and become completely detached from what is going on around me.

Well I think some of us can relate to that, being with those with whom we spend more time allows us to lower barriers without fear consequences, we are not afraid of making mistakes and being judged or rejected, on the other hand this is a problem if instead of using this open environment for learning, we use it to justify one does not need to continue learning.

MetaDjinn said:

I think therapy is a good idea if the therapist has healed himself or at least has reached an advanced level of cure and has an open mind wich serves to broaden your field of vision offering you alternative viewpoints, and a sincere and objective mirror He may use depending on your evolution. Anyway I think it is very important as you say to continue networking not only for you to evolve but to share with us the knowledge and experiences you go hoarding up.. :P

MetaDjinn said:
I don't think I added much to this topic other than my perspective of what occurs in social settings. What I hope for is that others can post more on the solution side of the issue and the eventually I will be able to do the same. This really is one of my biggest problems and it has robbed me of most of my life (or shall I say that I have robbed myself or that the predator has done so).

There is nothing that can not be changed with an open mind, faith in truth, continuous effort and the wonderful gift that is to share and learn with others with the same goal.
What is still most important is that as I see it every human being learning as much as possible about pathology and its consequences, realy fighting for himself within, working hard to get rid of lie is not only self healing, he/she is also healing this world.

[quote author=bjorn]I ask did you ever succeed in being the center of attention in a ‘good way’ having everybody’s approval. Did you still hate it then? Or did you somehow enjoy it?[/quote]

[quote author=Truth seeker]No, I never liked being the center of attention. It feels awkward - even in situations when I knew that people probably weren't judging me. What I'm realizing is that I'm the one judging me![/quote]

Yeah, that one was to clarify more, or you demand it from others or yourself.

So I though well what if people recognize you. How do you feel then. But if you still at that moment feel awkward. Than I think it’s like you said

What I'm realizing is that I'm the one judging me!

You have something to proof against yourself. Maybe some ‘false personality’ who keeps you telling that you have to show some kind of appearance all the time.

Maybe it’s a idea, and you most likely are. But to find out what the ‘make-up’ of this ‘false personality’ is all about. You may get some clues by observing your mom since you are most likely repeating some patterns of her.

[quote author=truth seeker]What do you mean by angel? As in rescuing people?[/quote]

Can be, actually I meant it more as. Being the ‘civilized’ and ‘polite’ one. Maybe it’s part of the ‘role’ you demand yourself to play.

Evolutionary1 said:
Hi all. I've found all of your posts insightful and am encouraged by them, and I'd just like to add to this thread since I have been trying to reconcile my own anxieties--mostly social--with trying to do the Work. I can certainly relate to you, Truth Seeker, especially with your relationship with your mother. My mom, who is extremely antisocial, liked to go through celebrity or style magazines and she would literally write across the faces of the women either "ugly" or "pretty" according to her high standard of beauty. I remember seeing how easily one could be labeled as ugly, and seeing so many attractive women labeled as such--most much prettier than me--I concluded that I was unattractive and that this was my most salient trait, that others would be judging and critiquing as harshly as my mother--though she's always claimed I'm pretty, one can understand why I wouldn't trust her judgment.

I found that with my mother (and I've only just come to this realization in the last year or so) that it was far more insidious. Because of this, it made it difficult if not impossible for me to see in terms of the narcissism involved. She was a "good" mom in that she was responsible, but it was the emotional "attacks" that were off. One example I remember clearly is once when I did poorly on a test, she asked me if I did poorly because of anything she did. Now on the surface, this question seems... mundane but against the backdrop of many other instances where I felt/was made to feel that I had to take care of her emotionally the question became a weapon.

In that situation as a child, I'm already feeling bad about the grade but I now have to put my own feelings aside and help her figure out what she did. This is a heavy unfair load for anyone to carry let alone a child.

I also remember hoping that my grandmother would live long enough for me to become an adult because I didn't want my mother to be alone. My reasoning being that if my mother were alone, she would make it that much more difficult for me to leave home. As it came to pass, my grandmother did die before I grew up and my mother tried to guilt me into staying home as long as possible.

When I decided to leave, I had to do so in anger as that was the only emotion that allowed me to break free of the guilt she attempted to make me feel. As I look back on my life, I see clearly how many decisions I made that were not in my best interests, but hers. Some of the things I didn't do was: travel to France on a school trip in my teens, go away to college/campus (I went to one nearby and traveled home daily) and traveling far away to different countries.

This will sound cruel but I didn't mean it that way. When she died almost three years ago, in addition to grief I felt relief. Relief that I no longer had to worry about her. I could finally travel without the burden of worrying what she would think if I decided to live in another country.

Going off in a slightly different direction, this has allowed me to see why people hate the holidays. I think they hate it because they now have to return to the environment that didn't allow them to be who they are. They now have to make themselves fit into a mold of their families expectations. I dreaded spending the holidays with my mother for this very reason. No matter how I approached the situation, her response to it was the same. It got to the point where the best solution was to separate myself from her. Then of course was the guilt that comes from that: I'm not seeing/calling my mother as much. Am I being a bad daughter? etc.

Rationally, I knew what I was doing was for the best, but still...

Evolutionary1 said:
Like my mother, I became somewhat obsessed with the idea of being pretty, though I was more secretive about it because I felt that there was something frivolous and destructive within this obsession and that "evolved" women shouldn't care so much about appearances. Mostly, I identified with being the "smart one," a "know-it-all." Or, like Truth Seeker, I identified with being "good and nice" so as to distract others--and myself, especially myself--from my essentially dishonest nature. I learned to pretend to be confident or indifferent at work or when compelled to interact with others but I have never really felt whole or comfortable, and so have spent too much time hiding in isolation, trying to think my way out of my problems.

With my mother, the focus was more on education. I do however remember one time she said something like "You know, you're not such a bad looking girl." It's like she was throwing me a bone. In learning more about narcissism, I've realized that this is one of the tactics used to gain control. Basically, compliments (if you can call them that) are used as weapons for nefarious purposes.

Evolutionary1 said:
For a while I've been fully aware of my lack of integration, of my tendency to be many false selves depending on circumstances, but this knowing seems to be fueling my fear of interaction, intensifying my shame and sense of worthlessness. Networking, interacting is becomong more and more difficult and I feel frozen in fear of being hurt, rejected, embarrassed, of being useless. I see now how this is just internal considering, not real, not who I am, but I don't feel like I have much to offer or any business trying to help others when I am so...fragmented. In general, I feel as though I have nothing of value to say, to contribute, because I am not yet far enough along. I actually feel a palpable, physical sense of panic/dread after I post on the forum because I am never sure whether I am being helpful or narcissistic--trying to make a meal of my brethren--and the idea of being put straight because my thinking or understanding is wrong scares me as though my very life were in danger!
I know that my "know-it-all" identity does not want to actually acknowledge it's ignorance and it's inherent "hunger." Ugh. And I know that this is the point to these communications! So please, mirror away, I'll survive and hopefully learn.

Perhaps someone else would be more helpful in mirroring as I think I'm too close to my own situation and by extension yours to clearly see what the way out of this particular maze is. But definitely keep posting!

Interesting though how the devaluing of your/my worth and the "know-it-all" identity work together as two sides of the same coin! What got me past the fear of posting is knowing/trusting that the members here are replying out of love not to feed off you in any way. What also helps is knowing that the way to overcome the fear is by seeing it and practicing dealing with what comes up. Everytime I've allowed the fear to have it's own way, the situation only gets worse. It also helps me when I stop focusing on what I feel and help someone else even if it's just posting to the welcome thread. It stops the focusing on myself and places it in perspective (or so I think).

Evolutionary1 said:
I have been doing the breathing program for a few months now, and I suspect that the predator I've recognized more and more in myself over the past few years is becoming more vicious in its quest to become "me" before it's too late. Well, I hope this is the case, and I hope I'm winning. :)

Aside from my personal issues, I have noticed in the last few days that whenever cruel, critical, or fearful thoughts bubble up in my mind about others, they are of the same nature as the degrading thoughts I've had about myself over the years. I can see my mind trying to project these labels on others as though this could alleviate my own suffering or guilt. They are not thoughts I choose, but the kind that intrude uninvited. I realize that, to a degree, my anxiety and inner considering make up the bulk of my evidence that "others" are cruel--though I've always thought myself kind because I keep these thoughts to myself, usually. I'm also seeing that, when others are cruel, it is their predator and there is really no sane reason to fear "their" predator more than the one living in my very own basement.

Yes, I think that the predator sees it's food supply lessening, it fuels its fear of dying and starts to grasp desperately at straws to regain control. Oddly enough, I think it's always in this state and will react in the same way even if it has control. By this I mean that even if it's well fed, it uses the same tactics because it is greedy so the only way out of this cycle for you/me/all of us, in my opinion, is to stop the feeding. I hope that makes sense. That last sentence was well said by the way!

I know that my need to be liked or "admired" can be a handicap when it comes to seeking the truth. But for the record: Truth seeker, in my earliest posts, you responded to something I said with such compassion and sincerity and I was encouraged to keep posting because I saw that one can be nice and helpful at the same time--and that my fears were, indeed, essentially in my mind. So thank you.

Evolutionary1 said:
And to you all, thank you for your bravery in sharing your experiences. Hopefully we can help each other past the fears that cuts us off from communion and integration. In the mean time, I will do my best to put away inner considering and "get over myself" so that I can better here what is being said.

Thanks for saying that. I've been really trying to be aware of what I'm posting so for those who do post I may take a couple of days to respond as I really want to take in what's being said and see what applies and what doesn't so that I can reply accordingly, learn and get past this.

bjorn said:
You have something to proof against yourself. Maybe some ‘false personality’ who keeps you telling that you have to show some kind of appearance all the time.
Maybe it’s a idea, and you most likely are. But to find out what the ‘make-up’ of this ‘false personality’ is all about. You may get some clues by observing your mom since you are most likely repeating some patterns of her.

Definitely! This is the first time I'm starting to look at it this way meaning in terms of seeing her narcissism as well as my own. Well my mother died almost three years ago so all I have are memories, but I'm going by the ones that invoked strong responses. There is s much that I disagreed with her about as I was growing up and I'm finding it interesting to explore how I exhibit the same/similar behaviors.

bjorn said:
[quote author=truth seeker]What do you mean by angel? As in rescuing people?

Can be, actually I meant it more as. Being the ‘civilized’ and ‘polite’ one. Maybe it’s part of the ‘role’ you demand yourself to play.
[/quote]

Well, I remember my mother always being concerned with what/how she was thought of/perceived by others. This was not just people she knew but also strangers, I believe. I too picked this up. I think that led to the always being nice/polite program. It's probably done so that it makes it easier to not only have to deal with "bad/negative" feelings and encounters that would then lead to me feeling like a bad/negative person, but also (and I'm just coming to these realizations as I write this) it would always put me in the "right". Like: " "I" was so nice to that person, why were "they" acting that way?" This way, I'm never at fault! This "then" firmly keeps in place the mask I have that says "I'm a good/righteous person." Absolutely amazing! I clearly understand now what you meant when you said this is a dangerous program. This is the same pathology that runs the world. This is why wars are fought. This is a why people are tortured and killed. This realization has allowed me to see what I perceived as the other. The same people (politicians, narcissists, the everyday person on the street, etc.) whose behavior I never understood and would say to myself "I could never be like that!". "I" really am "them". This is really something to chew on.

I also wanted to thank everyone who posted. Thanks so much for really breaking it down for me. I look forward to continuing this discussion and hopefully helping ourselves come to better clarity regarding this subject.

-Hi Evolutionary1

[quote author=Evolutionary1]Like my mother, I became somewhat obsessed with the idea of being pretty, though I was more secretive about it because I felt that there was something frivolous and destructive within this obsession and that "evolved" women shouldn't care so much about appearances. Mostly, I identified with being the "smart one," a "know-it-all." Or, like Truth Seeker, I identified with being "good and nice" so as to distract others--and myself, especially myself--from my essentially dishonest nature.[/quote]

Those first 2 seems like they contradict each together, that causes a ‘conflict.’ The ‘good and nice’ program you say you identified the most with.

I guess what you mean with your ‘essentially dishonest nature’ Are those 2. Which you are trying to hide from others but also yourself. Do you think you do this by giving this ‘good and nice’ program more attention?

[quote author=Evolutionary1]For a while I've been fully aware of my lack of integration, of my tendency to be many false selves depending on circumstances[/quote]

Depending on the circumstances? they active according to them?

You mean it depends with what kinds of people you are, the mood of the surroundings? Events what are happening?
Can you be more specific?

[quote author=Evolutionary1]but this knowing seems to be fueling my fear of interaction, intensifying my shame and sense of worthlessness.
Networking, interacting is becomong more and more difficult and I feel frozen in fear of being hurt, rejected, embarrassed, of being useless.[/quote]

It’s all becoming more difficult? Than can be true. When you are trying to get rid of your ‘false personalities’ You may had some programs which held everything in a sort of ‘balance’ like that ‘nice and good’ program who is trying to silence those other 2? But now when questioning them. They tend to weaken. With that this ‘balance program(s)’ maybe also. With now not being really able to run to your old ‘self’. I guess you don’t really know what to do.

[quote author=Evolutionary1]They are not thoughts I choose, but the kind that intrude uninvited.[/quote]

[quote author=Evolutionary1]In the mean time, I will do my best to put away inner considering and "get over myself"[/quote]

You may say to yourself which I also many times did, why can’t I just choose to be ‘myself’? But it isn’t that easy. When we become more aware of our own programs, we can in that progress choose to keep or either lose them. But only when we become AWARE, then we can choose.

[quote author=Truth Seeker]I've been really trying to be aware of what I'm posting so for those who do post I may take a couple of days to respond as I really want to take in what's being said and see what applies and what doesn't so that I can reply accordingly,[/quote]

Yeah, that would be for the better. 'Haste makes waste' I guess your doing fine. Don’t really have more to add. I will when I do. Just keep doing what you are.

[quote author=Truth Seeker]What got me past the fear of posting is knowing/trusting that the members here are replying out of love not to feed off you in any way.[/quote]

Well from my part, it’s sometimes difficult to see or that I am doing it for myself or for others. So I don't tend to leap to fast when somebody is asking for help. I am working on that.

Hi Truth Seeker,
I did not take time to read everything, so what I am gonna write might be redundant.
I did used to suffer from social anxiety a lot.
It seems like you're just thinking way too much, and need to let it go, and enjoy things as they are right now, without asking yourself questions.
I managed to get rid of my social anxiety when I discovered Yoga, and then meditation. I then found two books which both helped me a lot: "Happiness" by french buddhist monk Matthieu Ricard (original name of the book is "plaidoyer pour le bonheur"), and "Meditation for dummies" which I really love too.
I first started meditating 10 minutes a day, as I would get up, that was 3 years ago, and now i do 20 minutes a day. I am going to briefly explain how I do it. It works for me, but you have to find your own ways of solving your problems, because what works for someone may not work for somebody else, since we are all different. But still.
It's devided into 5 parts.
First, I decrease the rate of my breathing: I count 4 heart beats as I breath in, then keep the air inside for 2 heart beats, then breath out for 8 heart beats, and wait again for 2 heart beats. I do this twice, and then instead of 4,2,8,2, I count 6,3,12,3, twice.
Second, I have a set of sentences that I repeat inside, for one breath-in breath-out period. These are small sentences that I found made me feel better, such as "I am making inside peace and serenity grow". Actually, I am french, so that's a rough translation of one sentence I try to focus on. But anyway, that's the idea.
Third, I focus on each of my senses for one breath in-out period: touch feeling, then the taste in my mouth, then the smell, the noises, and finish with what i see. I medidate with eyes closed, so I try to focus on the colors you might see when you close your eyes.
Anyway, then the third part is I focus on my breath: I feel the cold air coming inside my nose, and then the hot air getting out. In the mean time, i count them: 1 as I breath in, 1 as I breath out, then 2 as I breath in, 2 as I breath out, 3 etc. untill 10. I try to only focus on my breath, and to let every other thought go. If I find out I stopped focusing, I start again from 1.
During the fifth part, which I don't always have time to reach, I just to try let any thought come and go, like looking at one's thoughts, and also feelings. If an unpleasant feeling occur, I try to understand it.
So when I feel bad for a particular reason (any unpleasant event or just feeling), I meditate on it, after the breath focus part, until I manage to understand why I suffer inside. When I understand, and find the idea that makes me feel better, I try to sum it up in one sentence. Then I add it in the group of sentences I repeat inside in the second part.

Hope it helps. Now it still occurs that I get social anxiety. Whenever it happens, I start a meditation, follow the steps, wherever it happens: a meeting, a restaurant, etc. Focusing on something else makes it disappear within a few minutes.

Take care.

Hi guilian,

Welcome to the forum. :) We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, how they found the cass material, and how much of the work here they have read. Thanks.

Hi guilain,

Have you looked at the Éiriú Eolas breathing programme? It includes a section of 'pipe breathing' where we breathe with a constricted throat in order to stimulate the vagus nerve. It adds an important element to the breathing exercises. The intro explains the importance of the vagus nerve.

You can download the audio and video files for free or get them in a boxed set.

I'd be interested in you impressions of the difference between the two.

Hi guilain,

Thanks so much for the kind words and the advice! I'm actually doing the EE meditation/breathing and have found it to be very helpful with social anxiety. I hope you'll decide to post an intro and look forward to posting with you!

Hi Truth Seeker,

There have been some very poignant things said here by others concerning social anxiety within social interaction and ones view of thyself and others through the filters of the mind and the minds programs.

If anything that has been taught here, within these works and words weaved throughout the forum, is that it seems the little ‘i’ has been saturated in programming since birth and perhaps with the advancement of media, it is now ten fold? The societal pressures within the mind of how we should think, act, look, feel et al, stager the imagination. This compounded by parental and external control or peer sources and general societal neurosis, is it any wonder we can interact at all anxiety free, save for your closest friendships or partner? Consider even, that when realizing not just you or I may feel anxiety, but the very persons we are anxious with, within their presents, they may in fact feel just the same.

You are not alone here, anxiety comes in many forms, diet can add to this as can so much more; you’re asking the question and listing to others is awareness, which is looking at the self and outside the self with discernment.

I recalled a radio interview with a man who said of himself that he was incredibly anxious when with other, especially when he had to speak. All he could feel were the eyes on him watching, what were they thinking of him, how did they see him; he described himself as non-descript, plain, un sophisticated, and the more he thought about this the more he stammered and played the part and blamed it on a host of social issues and upbringing.

However, what he did was to enroll in toast masters; he became a world leader in this venue, but what he learned was interesting in that the people were not really intent on analyzing him, what they really wanted was to listen to what he said, people want to be engaged, they want to learn and everything that made him anxious left when he figured that out.

Notwithstanding the above, there also seems perhaps another aspect to anxiety, perhaps it is intuitive and not conscious; and I may not be interpreting this correctly, so please help me out? But anxiety perhaps too can be born as stated, intuitively, when faced with the unknown, high strangeness, persons or situations that just can’t be comprehended and depending on ones experiences and knowledge base, anxiety can manifest in ways that can’t be rationalized, thus one may perceived the problem as being themselves when it was only triggered within the self and not indicative of the self? :/

Back
Top Bottom