How to prepare for the coming Ice Age?

Windmill knight said:
Perceval said:
While I fully agree with your focus, I think "ice age" doesn't really explain what we are likely facing. It's more along the lines of "climate change". Basically, snow and ice won't be the main problem. Crop failure and no food will be the main problem for most I suspect. Just use your imagination and consider the results of food riots in the USA and elsewhere and the response of a totalitarian government, military and police force. This video presents a realistic enough look at the situation.

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/220591-The-Animalistic-Behavior-Of-Modern-Humans

Exactly. That, plus the fact that fuel will be much more expensive and will run out much faster. Would we be able to endure months of an average of -25 without gas, electricity or oil? I don't think so.

Very scary. I wonder if my thoughts of not wanting to survive is not my predatory mind?

Bluestar said:
Windmill knight said:
Exactly. That, plus the fact that fuel will be much more expensive and will run out much faster. Would we be able to endure months of an average of -25 without gas, electricity or oil? I don't think so.

Very scary. I wonder if my thoughts of not wanting to survive is not my predatory mind?

Maybe...probably. But then again, it's not easy facing such drastic changes, especially if we are not used to this way of life. Probably many people will have to face this question if they have something worthwhile in their life that will help them to pass this harsh period of adaptation. Perhaps the choice of not only to survive but to continue to live in the world after everything familiar collapsed around us will depend on the individual spirit and understanding that by doing so we are not only keeping ourselves alive but also being support and hope for others.

And just to put things in perspective, right now, every minute, somewhere around the world, myriad of people have their personal worlds collapsing and face devastating consequences no different from upcoming Ice Age or any other catastrophe. It also happened throughout the history, just remember what shortage and horror people had to endure during World Wars, and yet human spirit endured. :) Also, perhaps it would be a good idea to look into how people in Siberia are dealing with all of this, because this is what they do on a continuous basis. Electricity is known not to be so reliable in some parts of Russia, and sometimes people have to deal with it while having -30C and less temperatures outside.

Maybe it would be a good idea not only to look into collecting supplies, but also look for a small furnace that works on coal and its chimney can be positioned outside the house or a window. Maybe right now such device won't be allowed under current fire regulations, but when electricity will collapse, no one will bother with overseeing rules that are not applicable anymore. Also look into reinforcing windows insulation, things that won't do drastic changes, but will be useful in case electricity won't be available anymore.

Good thing is that you won't need a refrigerator or freezer! Just keep things outside in a metal box or on the balcony! :)

edit: spelling.

For me the scary part is not having to survive under these kinds of conditions. It is more having to be there with people of the mentality in the video clip.

Bluestar said:
For me the scary part is not having to survive under these kinds of conditions. It is more having to be there with people of the mentality in the video clip.

Then it will be probably very important to become a part of supportive community. Finding strength in numbers is not weakness in such cases, but strategy. Oh, and it probably will be very important not to show that you have anything that could be of value to them. And probably not to keep everything in one place and hide it well. Man, it is scary, I admit. :) But if there will be a large community of people who will be willing to help others but defend from robbers, then there is a good chance of going through it.

But I think the most important factor probably will be not to become overrun by fear and make sure to keep our critical thinking faculties intact. :)

Keit said:
Bluestar said:

Then it will be probably very important to become a part of supportive community. Finding strength in numbers is not weakness in such cases, but strategy. Oh, and it probably will be very important not to show that you have anything that could be of value to them. And probably not to keep everything in one place and hide it well. Man, it is scary, I admit. :) But if there will be a large community of people who will be willing to help others but defend from robbers, then there is a good chance of going through it.

But I think the most important factor probably will be not to become overrun by fear and make sure to keep our critical thinking faculties intact. :)

Definitely maintaining the not letting fear overrun me aspect. Just keeping open to all possibilities. Communities are great if you can be part of one.

The other day I was searching the internet for "survival" items and I got to thinking to what is important. Water purifying system, heirloam seeds, medical supplies, etc... But this is all very heavy and if a person is left to their own accord and has to travel on foot there is not room for much. So I have taken to the idea that what will be will be and will do my best if left to survive any catastrophe. I have to trust that my inner self will be able to heed any warning signs. To follow my intuition as best as possible regarding the work thus far. If that is wishful thinking, well not sure how else to proceed.

I do worry about the animals that share my life. Two dogs and a kitty, it will be hard to help them.

Bluestar said:
Definitely maintaining the not letting fear overrun me aspect. Just keeping open to all possibilities. Communities are great if you can be part of one.

The other day I was searching the internet for "survival" items and I got to thinking to what is important. Water purifying system, heirloam seeds, medical supplies, etc... But this is all very heavy and if a person is left to their own accord and has to travel on foot there is not room for much. So I have taken to the idea that what will be will be and will do my best if left to survive any catastrophe. I have to trust that my inner self will be able to heed any warning signs. To follow my intuition as best as possible regarding the work thus far. If that is wishful thinking, well not sure how else to proceed.

I do worry about the animals that share my life. Two dogs and a kitty, it will be hard to help them.

It definitely isn't going to be easy, and I wish you and the rest of the people in the same - probably to go Ice Age - areas lot of luck, providence and courage. Big Hug. :hug2:

Bluestar said:

Yeah, other than all of the other third density things, there are the animals that we have. They are like children and we have to take care of them. We have one cat left, who is about 19 years old. My family is talking about getting a new puppy. I've told them that I say no, even though I wouldn't mind.

My vote "no" is because of what I see coming. But it seems they will get one anyways, there's no way I can stop them. I'll just try to enjoy the company knowing that things will get more difficult for everyone. This is probably selfish, but hey, knowledge protects eh? :/

Indeed i think the upcoming events will be a tough experince but,all is is lessons and knowledge indeed protects and "what will not kill you will make you stronger" for a while i was thinking about the upcoming events and i've realized for myself that no matter what i won't give up and will try to make all i can do to protect at least the people i love and persons around me even with my own life ,in those difficult times will be very important to help each other ,the human spirit is strong and beware "those" who underestimate it.

I must admit I haven't read the entire topic now.

But it is a question that comes back from time to time. And I thought, especially what Laura mentions at the very beginning (see quote below) that stockpiling things (in my case life sustainment medication) would only serve myself, so I put always these thoughts away.

Laura said:
What is your reason for survival? To help others? Or just for yourself? If it is just for yourself, then things might not work out for you. But if you have a network, are involved in a work that should survive for the sake of humanity, it's a whole different ballgame.

So would it be okay, to stockpile medication in a case of factor X (weather goes havoc)?

factorX is not only about weather but many ther things too. And as said by Legolas, one uses knowledge to act yes, but one has to know also through which orientation one is acting.

Legolas said:
I must admit I haven't read the entire topic now.

But it is a question that comes back from time to time. And I thought, especially what Laura mentions at the very beginning (see quote below) that stockpiling things (in my case life sustainment medication) would only serve myself, so I put always these thoughts away.

Laura said:
What is your reason for survival? To help others? Or just for yourself? If it is just for yourself, then things might not work out for you. But if you have a network, are involved in a work that should survive for the sake of humanity, it's a whole different ballgame.

So would it be okay, to stockpile medication in a case of factor X (weather goes havoc)?

In my opinion, Legolas, when dealing with things that are very important and are vital for your health, especially in case of life sustainment medication, there is no question that you should make sure to have enough in stock in case of emergency or shortage. You know that you want and will help others in need, so for that you should also take take of yourself. Besides, see it this way, if you'll have enough, you'll be able to share it with another in a similar medical situation. Having a good stock of medical supplies can be a life saver. It's all matter of intention, imo.

I think a little bit of preparation seems warranted at this date in "time"...probably the most important thing is to keep rooted in the Now, what is actually happening in reality. For instance, one probably would not go riding in a car without a certain amount of emergency supplies. Emergencies, though rare, could happen and one would want to be prepared for a variety of circumstances. That doesn't mean that one would spend lots of time thinking about all the things that could possibly go wrong and spend lots of money on this.

You might want to see if any preparations you would make could be useful in variety of purposes. Would it be a bad idea to have some extra medication on hand if a natural disaster strikes? How about a disruption in service for some other reason (political, climate, etc)? Are you talking about 6 days' worth, 6 months' worth, 6 years' worth? There is a considerable amount of difference between these, IMO. Is it readily feasible for you to to this, or is this a bit sacrifice to acquire these things? If so, could your money/time/energy be better spent elsewhere? I think that for pretty much everyone a certain amount of preparedness is important based on the reality we live in.

As for dogs and kitties, I admit I've worried a little bit about these myself. I thought about getting a backpack carrier for my cat when I flew cross-country to move recently, but it was just slightly too big to fit under the seat. Some of these that have wheels and a handle like a rolling suitcase are a little heavy to carry on one's back. I ended up getting a soft-sided carrier (manufacturer: Sherpa) that was reasonably lightweight and this worked well, I would probably use this if I had to go anywhere. As for food that is a harder issue but I guess my cat did okay on the streets before I adopted him...hope you like frozen (or comet-scorched) mice, kitty! :cool:

Keit said:
In my opinion, Legolas, when dealing with things that are very important and are vital for your health, especially in case of life sustainment medication, there is no question that you should make sure to have enough in stock in case of emergency or shortage. You know that you want and will help others in need, so for that you should also take take of yourself. Besides, see it this way, if you'll have enough, you'll be able to share it with another in a similar medical situation. Having a good stock of medical supplies can be a life saver. It's all matter of intention, imo.

Thanks for the reply, and it does really make sense.

D Rusak said:
You might want to see if any preparations you would make could be useful in variety of purposes. Would it be a bad idea to have some extra medication on hand if a natural disaster strikes? How about a disruption in service for some other reason (political, climate, etc)? Are you talking about 6 days' worth, 6 months' worth, 6 years' worth? There is a considerable amount of difference between these, IMO. Is it readily feasible for you to to this, or is this a bit sacrifice to acquire these things? If so, could your money/time/energy be better spent elsewhere? I think that for pretty much everyone a certain amount of preparedness is important based on the reality we live in.

It would not last for a too long time, maybe some months. And I wouldn't spend money or much time on this, just using my insurance I have and to order more stuff then I would actually need for myself.

My family is talking about getting a new puppy. I've told them that I say no, even though I wouldn't mind.

My vote "no" is because of what I see coming. But it seems they will get one anyways, there's no way I can stop them. I'll just try to enjoy the company knowing that things will get more difficult for everyone. This is probably selfish, but hey, knowledge protects eh? Undecided

maybe a breeding pair of Husky puppies or similar sled pulling dog ;)

they could become quite a valuable resource in an iceage ;)

Laura said:
Actually, ya'll might want to watch "Fast Runner."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atanarjuat

It's a great movie about life in the arctic AND how a society can be ponerized by just a few pathological individuals and what to do about them.

Today I will watch this movie, I also recommend "the last mohican" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104691/

Back
Top Bottom