Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT): General information and discussion of Home Units

I am starting to believe that WD40 helps with almost every problem...
Same thought here… and all over the world :lol:

I didn't really have any serious pre-existing conditions, more or less. And for me, after almost 40 applications, the HBOT has caused my skin to become younger and softer again overall. Sore muscles after sports are no longer so bad (only with really intense exercises). And then I noticed that I no longer have any problems with my heel spur. Even when I jog. That was actually no longer possible without special shoes or insoles. However, the assessment is perhaps not entirely scientific, because I also changed some other things in my life at the same time.

I guess it is 1.7 ATA
In Science Alert they mention 30 feet/10 meters, which I think is 1.9 ATA, so maybe between 1.7 and 1.9 ATA. Also, in the Guardian article they say "In the pod oxygen makes up a greater percentage of the atmosphere, so naked flames are forbidden" so there is more O2 than normal. They don't seem to bring up the subject of oxygen toxicity?

In Science Alert they mention 30 feet/10 meters, which I think is 1.9 ATA, so maybe between 1.7 and 1.9 ATA. Also, in the Guardian article they say "In the pod oxygen makes up a greater percentage of the atmosphere, so naked flames are forbidden" so there is more O2 than normal. They don't seem to bring up the subject of oxygen toxicity?
In one of the article on yahoo (now I can't find it), the basic hypothesis they went with is - there are major benefits after 1.6 ATA.

What has been learned from Dituri's 100 days living undersea?​

A team of 12 medical doctors conducted routine testing of Dituri’s brain waves, heart rate, blood pressure, ear pressure, urine, oxygen saturation and muscle measuring.
  • Height: Dituri shrunk half an inch during the mission.
  • REM sleep: While living undersea, Dituri slept in 60-66% in REM sleep consistently, compared to 40% prior.
  • Cholesterol: While living undersea, Dituri’s cholesterol dropped 72 points and remained low.
  • Inflammatory markers: While living undersea, all of Dituri’s inflammatory markers decreased by 30% and remained low.

Possibly the "sweat wristband" goes around the primary filter in the air compressor (shown in the below picture)? It seems to be the "first point of entry" as air flows to the compressor(?), so the cotton fabric would gather larger pieces of dust and other impurities.

View attachment 74984
That is what I tought too, but no... got a reply from Macy Pan.
They are for the oxygen concentrator. You have to unsrew 3 screws that hold the top (and only) box compartment under the hatch. Remove the compartment. Inside the concentrator you will see two cylindrical housings in the middle that you have to unscrew, which may be a little hard, even for a healthy man. At least, that was the case on my machine. Threads are normal, right threads so you unscrew them counter clockwise. But first you have to remove the two tubes, see the picture below. After that, you just swap the filters.
IMG_20230610_145658_99.jpg
Old and new filters side by side.
1687026728005.jpeg
After replacing the filters (and the ones from the compressor) I didn't notice any difference in the chamber performance neither did I have any problems prior to this maintenance.

There seems to be a connection between HBOT and NAD+:

In the present study, we explored the new molecular pathway underlying HBO protection in the model of MCAO-induced HT. The benefits of HBO on HT, observed in our study, are in agreement with previous studies.9,10 The novelty and important finding of the study is as follows: the protective effects of HBO are, at least partly, mediated through ATP/NAD+/Sirt1 pathway.

Early restoration of energy can interrupt the initial responses and delay or even disrupt the spiral of abnormal changes that culminate in cell death after ischemic stroke. HBO is able to increase the level of ATP and relieve the energy stress in experimental stroke,2729 but the mechanisms underlying HBO-induced protection have not been fully elucidated yet. In our study, we used the MCAO model, a well-established model of ischemic stroke. We demonstrated that hyperglycemia exaggerated the decrease of the ATP and NAD+ level, HT, and neurological deficits in MCAO rats. HBO treatment reduced the infarction volume, as well as hemorrhagic volume, and eventually improved the neurological deficits. Additionally, HBO treatment increased the level of ATP and the activity of NAMPT, promoting the production of NAD+. We further demonstrated for the first time that HBO activated ATP/NAD+/Sirt1 pathway and, consequently, reduced HT and apoptosis.

NAD+ played an important role in energy balance and cell survival in ischemic stroke. After brain ischemia, NAD+ fuels Sirt1 and enables it to regulate transcription factors involved in pathways linked to apoptosis and inflammation.13 HBO has been reported to increase Sirt1 protein and mRNA expression in animal models of stroke.14 We found that HBO treatment significantly increased the level of ATP and NAD+, ameliorated HT, and improved neurological functions in hyperglycemic MCAO rats. Administration of NAD+ mimicked the effects of HBO. More important, using pharmacological manipulations, this study showed for the first time that HBO positively modulated the activity of NAMPT and upregulated NAD+ levels by increasing the level of ATP, thereby, controlled Sirt1 expression, leading to deacetylation of NF-κB and p53. Our results were consistent with the previous studies that inhibition of NAMPT with FK86613 or silence Sirt1 with Sirt1 siRNA20 deteriorated the outcome after stroke. We demonstrated a novel ATP/NAD+/Sirt1 signaling pathway of HBO treatment for HT after stroke. Previous studies have demonstrated that HBO increase the oxygen delivery to ischemic tissue and is able to restore energy status of the tissue.27,40,41 We think, therefore, that both direct delivery of oxygen and the activation of ATP/NAD+/Sirt1 pathway underlay HBO-induced BBB protection.

As an NAD+-dependent deacetylase, Sirt1 specifically promotes the transcription of a set of genes related to cell survival, energy metabolism, and inflammation. Sirt1 deficiency or knockdown attenuated the neuroprotection of NAD+ in ischemic stroke.13,42 Sirt1 mediated deacetylation of p53, reducing its proapoptotic effects, and it also deacetylated NF-κB, reducing its proinflammatory effects.43 p53 mediates apoptosis through several pathways and results in activation of caspase-3, the executor of cell death.44 NF-κB is the major transcription factor that transcribes proinflammatory mediators in the nervous system, including MMP-9. In ischemic stroke, MMP-9 is released from neurons and reactive astrocytes to degrade the components of BBB.4547 We showed that in hyperglycemic MCAO rats, Sirt1 was highly colocalized with NAMPT and positively regulated by ATP and NAD+. We also observed that HBO treatment decreased the level of acetylated NF-κB and acetylated p53 in hyperglycemic MCAO rats, and knockdown Sirt1 by Sirt1 siRNA abolished the effects of HBO. Finally, we proved that the beneficial effects were abolished by Sirt1 siRNA. Taken together, we demonstrated that Sirt1 is a key mediator of HBO protective effects.

We think, therefore, that the beneficial effects of HBO on neurological functions can be explained, at least partly, by the activation of ATP/NAD+/Sirt1 pathway and subsequent preservation of BBB in hyperglycemic MCAO rats.

If this is true, and one of the major effects of HBOT is an increase of NAD+, then there is certainly a lot of room for improvement of HBOT therapy, because there are other ways to improve NAD+ and SIRT1.

Ark and I took a couple/three week break from HBOT and only started back on this past Monday. My first session after the break was tough. I had to use the air release valve to slow down the pressurization because my ears couldn't handle it. I would open the valve enough to stop pressurizing and wait a couple of minutes for ear adjustment, then close it and resume. I did this about 3 times.

Second day was not so bad, and by the 5th day, I was able to just let it pressurize as normal without interference.

I feel so much better overall that it is hard to pinpoint one major thing. But if I had to, it would be that my legs no longer feel like they are filled with lead. In fact, they feel more like "young legs" when I go up and down stairs.

I am also doing intermittant fasting: eating one meal a day, and we work out in the gym twice a week.

Altogether, I seem to have reversed a lot of things that were making me feel very bad in a lot of ways. The only thing that has not improved has been my eyes. But I'll be getting those fixed soon.

Fwiw, I have now done over 100 sessions, and I'm doing superb as far as I can tell. I also integrated HIT-Training 1 to 2 times a week, for about 2 months now. I'm using the time inside the chamber, to learn a language or other stuff, for meditating and a bit of reading and sometimes just for resting. In summer, I recommend a fan inside of it and a wet towel. Otherwise, it can get pretty hot till feeling uncomfortable.

What I generally notice:
  • more energy
  • better recovering time of wounds etc. or muscles
  • hair growth is much stronger
Nonetheless, I'm doing it now more irregular and every other or third day, to keep the benefits. Though taking too long a break, it is then harder to get back on track. And from the Macy-pan I removed the blue cover, that it doesn't feel like a submarine in a deep ocean anymore :-).

Yesterday I've done my first session. I've done 60min for the introduction with ease. No problems with ears while pressurization/depressurization but my chamber is only 1.3 ATA. I'm also almost a month into phase 3 of Samozdrav protocol. I was doing this protocol two times daily 20-30min. but from now on I intend to do one 25min Samozdrav session in the morning and do HBOT later in the afternoon. Will keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom