I'm losing weight!

davey72 said:
Curious. I had my appendix out about 5 mnths ago now, and i am not sure why, but i have lost about 50 lbs since then.
Slowly, but surely. I have been eating the same, which is to say not very well. I have been trying to eat better lately, now that i'm working again, but i am not sure this is the problem.
Is it possible that these are part of the changes we are gonna go through?

50 pounds in 5 months? That seems really quick and extreme to me especially as I get the impression you have not changed much about your diet. Is losing that much weight that quickly something to be concerned about? I am no expert, so I don't know. Can someone else comment?

Patience said:
davey72 said:
Curious. I had my appendix out about 5 mnths ago now, and i am not sure why, but i have lost about 50 lbs since then.
Slowly, but surely. I have been eating the same, which is to say not very well. I have been trying to eat better lately, now that i'm working again, but i am not sure this is the problem.
Is it possible that these are part of the changes we are gonna go through?

50 pounds in 5 months? That seems really quick and extreme to me especially as I get the impression you have not changed much about your diet. Is losing that much weight that quickly something to be concerned about? I am no expert, so I don't know. Can someone else comment?

It sounds like a lot of weight to lose in a short time to me as well. It might be worth consulting a doctor, since you've stated that you're not yet on the detox diet.

Thanx Shijing.

I am just starting to eat better,(in which i mean healthier) just recently.

For years up till now, i have always had the same poor eating habits. I will eat pretty much anything. Like when i am at a buffet, i will try to eat as many different things as i can. The thinking on this(right or wrong) was to get as many vitamins, etc. as i can. There are some days though when i will only eat pastries, or this type of thing, mostly due to poor finances. Now that i am working again, and starting to figure out (via the forum) what i should be eating. It is just strange that while doing nothing different, i am as skinny as i wanted to be my whole life. I beleive the last time my waste was this big was in grade 7.
I have not been able to pinpoint any other reason; Other than the fact i am withdrawing off opiates right now.

I am just in the beginning stages of trying to cut out glutin, and casien.

Some are saying i look annorexic, but i think it is just cause it's different.
I really feel good this way.

I was only asking out of curiosity. Is it possible? Considering the reasons for taking out the appendix in the first place?

manitoban said:
RedFox said:
I can be a bit slow to 'get things' sometimes, and went off on a tangent after reading the Mark Hyman quote.....

I came back to small intestinal bacterial overgrowth a few days ago.
After doing some more research on this, I've started using herbs (ginger root, liquorish, enteric coated peppermint oil - I may add others to this soon) to treat for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. I'm on day two and if day one was anything to go by this is the most dramatic improvement in my symptoms (fatigue, lethargy, brain fog, apathy, exhaustion, sleep disturbance etc) I've had in a long time.

Really glad to hear it RedFox, sounds like you are making great progress in restoring your health. Keep up the good work! :)

Thanks....I just want to note my observations for anyone who may find it useful for future reference.
After a week or so of following this (and tweaking it along the way) my health has steadily (and quite dramatically) improved.
Still a way to go yet, but this is the most useful thing I've done next to cutting out all gluten/dairy.

I've been following Psyches suggestions in the Sluggish Liver thread.....I knew mine was sluggish before due to not being able to digest/handle a lot of fat and if I had too much fat I would get abdominal pain like you would if you had gall stones (and ultra sound showed 0 gall stones). Using coconut oil and taking caprylic acid for a few months helped my liver become less sluggish....the caprylic acid also clears up/keeps at bay any candida overgrowth.
I recently revisited Lauras quotes on the leaky gut thread....and this helped put a few peices of the puzzle together.

So my symptoms where inability to handle much fat/(red) meat, occasional pain on my right side, sluggishness/lethergy/depression (general mild brain chemical imbalance), magnesium depletion (muscle cramps)......coupled with very occasional heart burn. I've been on the ultra simple diet for some time, so it wasn't a food allergy (or so I think).
In recent months the pain never showed up any more on my right side, but all the other symptoms persisted. Taking the herbs etc brought the pain in my right side back...but in the way it might if you where cleaning a wound.

My conclusion (which is still evolving) is that it was low stomach acid caused by/leading too a bacterial overgrowth in the stomach (H. pylori _http://www.smart-publications.com/articles/view/eradicate-h.-pylori-infection-and-protect-yourself-from-ulcers-natural/)....probably caused by chronic stress and poor diet, then exacerbated by poor liver function and malnutrition.
This leads to small intestinal overgrowth (_http://altmedicine.about.com/od/healthconditionsdisease/a/overgrowth.htm), due to lack acidity in the small intestines and food not being broken down properly in the stomach.....this also feeds candida. Heavy metal toxcicity, damage to the intestines from gluten/dairy (leaky gut), and poor liver funtion (not enough bile) also cause/exacerbate this problem (_http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/98393.php _http://www.greenridge.com.au/condition/sluggish-liver _http://www.celiac.com/articles/21842/1/-Bacterial-Overgrowth-Gut-Permeability-Tied-to-Non-alcoholic-Fatty-Liver-Disease/Page1.html).
Chronic low level infection, poor nutrient intake (from damaged intestines and food being eaten before it enters my body) leads to chronic stress/system over work leads to reduced stomach acid production, and over working the liver....causing sluggish liver (candida/bacteria can block the bile duct also). This leads to the system/brain chemical imbalances.....lack of resources due to not enough getting in, most being used by the liver...and competition in the body among systems for resources exacerbates all the problems!
All this stress leads to adrenal fatigue....depletes magnesium/vitimin C (the guts are over sensitive to everything due to being damaged so I couldn't get enough magnesium/vitimin C in that way).

The whole thing is a vicious cycle that I hadn't been able to figure out/break until I tackled several things all in one go.....before I'd been tackling one health problem at once with initial success followed by failure to fix the over all problem.

So 10 minutes before every meals I have been having digestive aids with hydrochloric acid, 1000mg of ginger root (kills bad bacteria and promotes good, aids digestion by increasing stomach acid/gastric juices, is also anti inflammatory and boost the immune system), 500mg of liquorice root (lookup DGL liquorice, as striate liquorice can cause blood pressure problems.....liquorice kills bad bacteria and heals the stomach/guts and the adrenal glands, its also anti inflammatory _http://www.regenerativenutrition.com/content.asp?id=454) , 500mg of echinacia (kills bad bacteria, boost immune response), 50mg enteric coated peppermint oil (this I only take once a day with breakfast now, due to it making me need to go to the bathroom at 4am if I have it any later in the day!), 350mg caprylic acid, 200mg Silymarin [milk thistle] (plus all the supplements mentioned in Psyches post on the sluggish liver thread at least once a day....vitamin C and magnesium through out the day). I'm also taking 5htp (100mg after lunch and 400mg in the evening).....I use to have stomach issues with taking these and got migraines when I took them in the past, but this time they are working.

Like with everything don't take my word for it and do the research first if you think it would benefit yourself.

Hi RedFox,

This is funny because we have similar experience. I had gone through the chest xray, blood tests, thyroid tests, liver ultrasound scan too and all was fine except an excess of iron. And like you I don't sweat much and have very little body odder.

Anyway, since this period (January-April 2010), I have gain 5kg/13.4pounds :). What I have done ? I have introduce beef tripe in my diet. The advantage of tripes is his gelatinous consistency so I think it's well assimilate by the body. So I recommend to have a try to all of us who have weight loss.

What about you since November and your new diet, have you gain weight ?

Ellipse said:
Anyway, since this period (January-April 2010), I have gain 5kg/13.4pounds :). What I have done ? I have introduce beef tripe in my diet. The advantage of tripes is his gelatinous consistency so I think it's well assimilate by the body. So I recommend to have a try to all of us who have weight loss.

Speaking of foods that help with weight gain, I find that raw mature coconut, being very fatty but also "light", therefore easy to eat, can also help.

Added: although any underlying issues that might be impeding weight gain should be checked and accounted for

Added 2: out of curiosity Ellipse, how do you have your tripe? Where I'm from we have it stuffed with several types of meat, are you referring to something similar?

Gertrudes said:
Speaking of foods that help with weight gain, I find that raw mature coconut, being very fatty but also "light", therefore easy to eat, can also help.

Yes, I've this in mind too. I'm actually searching where I can get it.

Gertrudes said:
Added 2: out of curiosity Ellipse, how do you have your tripe? Where I'm from we have it stuffed with several types of meat, are you referring to something similar?

Well, I got it from the supermarket, sometime from the butcher. Seem there's only beef tripes in it. I can give you one of the brand : Bigard, but as I'm on the other side of the channel I don't know it's helpful to you unless I send it to you by mail ;).

"mijoté" mean "slow-cooked"

tripes-a-la-mode-de-caen1.jpg

Oh, I had forgotten about those! I used to see them a lot when I lived in Portugal, and I LOVED them. They're a little hard to get here, at least where I live, although I have seen it before in Turkish supermarkets. I'll be looking for it again though.

Beef tripe... interesting. Anyone know what the equivalent in France is?

Kniall said:
Beef tripe... interesting. Anyone know what the equivalent in France is?
Not sure if this helps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripe

It seems to be the same word in French as in English. My understanding is that it's the lining of the stomach although I may be off.

Maybe it fits into this topic. I have the opposite "problem", I just can't gain weight. Usually I eat twice as much as other people do. It didn't bother me much because I prefer to be thin than the other way round. But now I consider to buy a FIR-Sauna and reading all those reports of loosing weight after using them I am a little bit concerned what could happen to me (53 kg, 180 cm) if I start using the sauna every day for detox. Thoughts or experiences about this anyone?

Hi Stranger

According to Mark Givert at Get-Fitt (who supplied my FIR sauna blanket), a FIR Sauna blanket will get you to your optimum weight, whether you are above or below it. He, himself, gained weight when he first started to use a FIR Sauna blanket. Give him a call and talk it through with him.

As far as gaining weight, I have a similar problem. From what I've seen, there is a ton of bad ingredients added to foods to enhance taste or induce cravings.

I believe the top ones are: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Partially Hydrogenated Oils, Sugars, Refined Table Salt, MSG, and many others.

Back
Top Bottom