I'm on the Medical Merry-Go-Round

Google has some good images of the stuff:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Toxic+Black+Mold&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=UE5&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=PX87UaaNAcLv0gHWuIGQBA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1025&bih=479

Living in a swamp, I'd been around molds all my life, and most are harmless, but this particular type is DEADLY.

Guardian said:
Lisa Guliani said:
This hasn't been an issue for me living in a colder climate, so in looking back at it, I think ( maybe incorrectly) that the warm, moist climate conditions in florida were conducive to the growth of bacteria and perhaps whatever caused me to get the meningitis. I haven't had it since moving up north.

You are describing almost the exact symptoms I had when I was infested with a Black Mold that almost killed me years ago. It is the only time in my life I've been sick, and I just wanted to die I felt so awful. Over time Black Mold can totally destroy your immune system, then everything starts to fall apart.

I remember you said your place often floods...is there any mold that you know of, perhaps in the walls?

Agree about what Guardian discussed about mold and was further thinking about the issue of toxic drywall imports. I had not thought about this and was recently reminded. Where I live we have gypsum mines and fairly local manufacturing, but what has been learned, especially in the US, is not a good situation and many my not know what is lurking where they live. Imported products have high levels of formaldehyde etc.

Also, since you said you were in Florida, and perhaps it is not relevant due to the time period, yet from 1990's i believe, Chinese imports of toxic drywall are being investigated with many warnings available now. These drywall's were especially prevalent in Florida, Louisiana, Virginia (during post Katrina repairs) and who knows where else and are also being sussed now as being in Vancouver.

Toxic wallboard turning up in Canada

_http://www2.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=a2030f8d-b786-496f-bdf0-5f5783e22537

excerpt said:
Continued exposure could result in severe health problems, says Martin's group.

"It's scary, it's a nightmare," said Martin. "We think we are looking at the worst case of sick houses in U.S. history. Toxic Chinese drywall is the worst environmental disaster ever to be faced by U.S. homeowners."

A copy of one home-inspection report obtained by The Province on a Florida home where Chinese drywall was installed reads:

"This type of drywall was produced with materials that emit toxic hydrogen-sulfide gas and other sulfide gases alleged to cause serious health conditions and illnesses, such as shortness of breath, dizziness, headaches, fatigue, insomnia, eye irritations and respiratory difficulties.

The Chinese drywall appears to have been made using gypsum that was first used in slurry containing carcinogens to de-sulphur coal. It was later used in making wallboard.
[...]
Chemicals remaining in the wallboard are sufficiently toxic that as few as three sheets of drywall may be enough to contaminate a home sufficiently that it requires bulldozing, Martin said.

Further from here: _http://inhabitat.com/drywall-from-china-is-a-toxic-nightmare/

New homeowners in Florida, Louisiana and Virginia are being forced out of their homes because of toxic indoor air quality. The culprit -toxic drywall from China. Tests are revealing that the toxic drywall contains hydrogen sulfide and formaldehyde, both of which are incredibly harmful to your health. The toxins are also causing visible signs of corrosion throughout the homes – blackening copper pipes and wiring, causing appliances to fail, and filling the homes with the smell of rotten eggs. What’s worse, many of the homeowners are also horribly sick, with nosebleeds, sinus infections, respiratory problems and more. It’s nightmares like this situation that remind us how important it is to build with non-toxic and eco-friendly materials – not just for the environment, but for our health and sanity too!

These symptoms may not exactly correlate with what you have described, yet it might be a factor - for others, too.

Guardian's right. I didn't think about that angle at all. Living in a basement is seriously unhealthy under the best of conditions. From what you've described, the conditions of your apartment are not the best. It may very well be that moving could save your life and produce a dramatic improvement in your health.

Lisa Guliani said:
Gertrudes, the brain fog started happening at the beginning of all this foot stuff. Within the first week of being off of work, I developed a very bad cold. My eyes watered terribly and I got this horrific headache. I had some sinus pain and pressure, but that subsided after 2 or 3 days. But a pounding headache remained and persisted for almost 2 weeks. The top of my head, my forehad and temple areas were in constant pain. I used to have chronic migraines in my 20s and early 30s, but have not had one in years. I don't think this was a migraine. It felt different from the kind of headaches I used to get all the time. It hurt so bad, I could barely lift my head.

This is what made me think of the Mold...my head hurt so bad I wanted to die, and it was NOT like a migraine at all. It felt "deeper"

I didn't have any problem with my feet, but my hands would feel kinda numb and I couldn't keep a coherent thought in my head. My white cell count also went through the roof, and they couldn't figure out why.

Lisa, if this is a possibility, do you remember if you might have had mold in your environment when you were diagnosed with reflex sympathetic dystrophy back in 2000?

Laura said:
Guardian's right. I didn't think about that angle at all. Living in a basement is seriously unhealthy under the best of conditions. From what you've described, the conditions of your apartment are not the best. It may very well be that moving could save your life and produce a dramatic improvement in your health.

Lisa I have to concur with Laura from similar personal experience. You stated (in Reply # 170, among other things):
Gertrudes, the brain fog started happening at the beginning of all this foot stuff. Within the first week of being off of work, I developed a very bad cold. My eyes watered terribly and I got this horrific headache. I had some sinus pain and pressure, but that subsided after 2 or 3 days. But a pounding headache remained and persisted for almost 2 weeks. The top of my head, my forehad and temple areas were in constant pain. I used to have chronic migraines in my 20s and early 30s, but have not had one in years. I don't think this was a migraine. It felt different from the kind of headaches I used to get all the time. It hurt so bad, I could barely lift my head. I worry alot about headaches because I've had viral meningitis twice in my life and both times, it started as a headache that worsened in a short period of time.
Both cases of meningitis occurred in my 20s within 5 years' time. I never found out what caused me to get it. I was living in Florida both times I had it.
This hasn't been an issue for me living in a colder climate, so in looking back at it, I think ( maybe incorrectly) that the warm, moist climate conditions in florida were conducive to the growth of bacteria and perhaps whatever caused me to get the meningitis. I haven't had it since moving up north.

The first bolded part matches my own experience after becoming unemployed. While being at home all or most of the time, your exposure to whatever is causing the trouble mounts sky high exponentially compared to when you're away a lot for work or whatever, and only intermittently at home for far shorter hours.

The second bolded part got me thinking of a possible TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack) i.e. some sort of mini stroke which would perfectly fit in with other symptoms you're describing:

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_ischemic_attack

I hope this may help a bit to sort out your troubles even more. Keep up good spirits. We're all commiserating with you in your current predicament. :flowers:

Vitamin C detoxifies most mycotoxins (mold toxins) in vivo and in vitro, so it may be worth thinking about high dose Vitamin C, liposomal, if possible? Unless there's some other reason to avoid it that I missed (e.g. the iron issues discussed lately).

If the severe headaches WERE a result of TIA, as mentioned above by Palinurus, immediately taking 100 mg of niacin, 1 gram of vitamin C, and a B-complex (in that order of importance) will relieve the TIA. TIA's are caused by spasming in the brain blood vessels, and the spasming is very often caused by molds / mold toxins (most often sorghum mold, but could be many others). So there's definitely more clues to look into. Hope this helps. Hang in there Lisa.

Considering the seriousness of your condition, all the issues brought up in this thread, I hope that you (Lisa) will not fall into the Normalcy Bias and assume that you can just wait it out. See the cognitive science board for explanation of the Normalcy Bias. Sometimes, there is a narrow window of opportunity and if you don't take it, you die.

Laura said:
Considering the seriousness of your condition, all the issues brought up in this thread, I hope that you (Lisa) will not fall into the Normalcy Bias and assume that you can just wait it out. See the cognitive science board for explanation of the Normalcy Bias. Sometimes, there is a narrow window of opportunity and if you don't take it, you die.

I agree. Along these lines I was surprised you didn't take me or Gimpy up on the offer to send you some magnesium oil which will increase your body's absorption of it greatly and help address Raynaud's disease and it's symptoms more effectively. It may seem like a small thing since, as you said, you are already taking magnesium, but you will need to come at this from as many different directions as possible - and all more or less simultaneously, in order to get better it seems.

Ennio, I just have a hard time asking people for help or to do things for me. I was raised this way and it's something I'm working on. It's very difficult for me to ask for help, and even more difficult to ask people I don't know for help. It has nothing to do with not taking anything seriously or becoming complacent. I'm not complacent and I understand the gravity of the situation. If you think it might help, please do send the magnesium oil. I thank you and appreciate your offer and suggestions - everyone's suggestions.

Re: the mold issue
I've lived in this apartment for 4 years. It has flooded at least a couple dozen times over that period of time. I'm not talking about a leaky pipe under the sink. I'm talking about water pouring into the back of my apartment in the closet that holds the electrical box ( yeah, I know) and also water coming in under the wall on the side of the house. I asked many people, including my landlord about this situation over the years and depending upon who was asked, the source of the problem becomes a different answer.

I think it has to do with the foundation of this house needing to be fixed. The landlord has tried to convince me that it is due to clogged gutters, drain pipes and a downspout that needed to be replaced. He let this situation continue for three years before he replaced the downspout and gutters. A few weeks ago, it rained and water flooded again in the apartment, but not to the extent I've seen in the past. It wasn't a particularly hard or heavy rain, but it did rain much of the day. Still, this flooding is not supposed to be happening anymore, and it did, so the problem is not fixed.

When it floods, I get standing water in the back of my apartment, in the abovementioned closet, in the little hall area in front of the closet, in the bathroom and also in my kitchen.
I keep a wet/dry vac in my bathroom at all times because I never know what will happen when it rains. This situation is a problem during the spring and summer months and it has happened every year I've lived here in this place. My landlord tried to convince me that it is happening simply because it's a basement apartment and that this happens in all basement apartments.

I've done a pretty good job of getting the water up quickly and have spent who-knows-how-many hours drying the wet areas when this happens, but I can't really dry inside the walls, behind the walls. The closet has a musty smell, but the rest of the apartment does not. I run a dehumidifier most of the year, which keeps the apartment dry ( except the back area when it rains hard) and in the winter, the heat from the furnace room does a good job of keeping the apartment dry.
There is an area of exposed insulation in my bathroom just above the shower wall that I'm sure must have some kind of mold, since there is no way water could not have gotten in there when the shower is on. My bathroom was supposed to be replaced, but the landlord never seems to get aorund to actually doing what he promises he will do. I've been waiting for three years for a new bathroom.

Only once did the flooding extend all the way into my living room area. That was the worst flooding from rain I've seen here and I was really concerned because now the water had reached floor areas where there are electrical wires. I had to elevate all the wires after that, because of the fear of being electrocuted upon entering my apartment if the living room floor became wet. As I said, the water has only reached the living room space once, but once is enough.
I've stayed in this place because the rent is cheap and I can walk the couple of miles to work, saving me transportation costs.

There was also one other flooding incident in which the bladder of the water heater rusted out and water sprayed throughout the furnace room for three days. it also saturated through the wall of my bedroom closet and everything I had in the closet became soaked with water. My landlord told me to "think outside the box" since he was on his way to Florida and didn't want to be bothered with it.
It took me three days to get a plumber in here. The plumber blamed the problem on my landlord's lack of preventative maintenance. My landlord has quite the reputation in this city for being a slumlord who does not pay repair people, so it's difficult to get anyone to come here to fix anything, because they don't think they will be paid.

I've managed by taking care of the flooding myself when it happens ( although the landlord has gotten an earful from me many times). I had to fight for a reduction in my rent one month due to the losses from the water heater/ bedroom closet flooding. He then tried to charge me for the overage on the water bill from the water spraying for three days, but I won that round too and did not pay it.

So yes, there is probably mold in this apartment in spite of my best efforts to keep the place as dry as possible.
Rent is very high in this town and Penn State students scoop up most of the available housing units.
Landlords and rental companies here take advantage of the demand and exploit the situation.
They're making a killing off of ripping people off for substandard housing in this city. My landlord is not the only slumlord here.

I appreciate everybody's advice and suggestions and all of your well wishes for me.
If I haven't directly jumped at offers for help, please know it's not because I don't want or need or appreciate your help or that I don't take this seriously, because I do - it's just a difficult thing for me to do.
I was raised to always say no. Obviously, I do take help when it is offered, but it's hard for me to ask.
Yes, I know it's stupid, and I am working on it.
Please don't misinterpret my lack of response to offers to send me things that might help.
I'm not trying to be unkind or casually dismissive or complacent - and I do thank you all sincerely.

I think it is time to do some research on lawyers in the area who might take a contingency case regarding damages to health due to gross negligence. Can we get some research on that in PA?

Lisa
My landlord tried to convince me that it is happening simply because it's a basement apartment and that this happens in all basement apartments.
:mad: This guy is so full of it! No wonder you are having health problems!

Thanks for more explanation about the fact that it is so difficult for you to accept help--that it is an actual program that is running big time. It helps me understand why you are still in that place, though you must seriously consider getting out even if it means accepting help.
take care,
shellycheval

shellycheval said:
Thanks for more explanation about the fact that it is so difficult for you to accept help--that it is an actual program that is running big time. It helps me understand why you are still in that place, though you must seriously consider getting out even if it means accepting help.

I think that taking some kind of action to protest against current living conditions is the way to go. Like taking a stand and to not accept the living circumstances which are destroying your health. It will help you allow ideas (and blood) to circulate in your life without restrictions. Be it from yourself, but also most specially from your friends too. :flowers:

Psyche said:
shellycheval said:

I think that taking some kind of action to protest against current living conditions is the way to go. Like taking a stand and to not accept the living circumstances which are destroying your health. It will help you allow ideas (and blood) to circulate in your life without restrictions. Be it from yourself, but also most specially from your friends too. :flowers:

Also, if the apartment is not up to code, you can put your monthly rent into an escrow fund until the landlord fixes things. That gets their attention pretty quick.

Here's an attorney you could call for a consult:

http://www.centreinjurylaw.com/

Back
Top Bottom