I'm on the Medical Merry-Go-Round

Lisa Guliani said:
Thank you everybody for all your efforts on my behalf. I really appreciate you.

I got a call this morning from my doctor's nurse and I am going to be referred now to an allergist because of my concerns regarding being tested for mold toxins.
Yay! Another co-pay!

One piece of good news. I was told I do not have lupus, that my previous bloodwork results showed I test negative for that. ( Would have been nice of them to tell me that by now, eh?)

So I'll keep you posted on the mold testing appointment.

Well, that sounds like good news to me Lisa. If the mold is the prob - that can be fixed - Lupus, maybe not so easy. :)

That is great about your appointment for mold test and not having Lupus (right on!).

I'll just add the reply this morning from my friend concerning the above:

If your friend is immune compromised then mould may be problematic for that person. Normally mould is not a concern for a healthy person. This stuff is everywhere. It is part of our environment. Once they are immune compromised (which your friend appears to be) then I would be interested in getting the site tested. What is normally done is that the consultant will probably test using two methods. One will be with the use of a spore trap (collects live and dead structures) and the other is an actual collection on growth medium to identify species. They will take several samples in the home as well as outside for comparison. The tests will assess for species and amount. If the species and the amounts are similar inside and outside then this is not a concern. If the species are different and or a magnitude higher than outside then this is an indicator that may warrant corrective action. Some moulds do not readily release into the air but they produce mycotoxins (volatile organic compounds). Some people are quite sensitive to these. One of the moulds that sparks fear is stachybotrys (your black mould- sticky stuff). It rarely is released in the air but does produce fairly potent mycotoxins.

Some of the common moulds found in wet environments will be penicillium, clostridium and aspergillus and occasionally alternaria. Remember that there are probably 150 or more types for each genus. Some of these types can be more problematic such as (I believe)alternaria fumigatus. Symptoms can show up as: allergies; hypersentitivity pneumonitis (not good to get); sinusitis (runny nose) and on rare occasion, if severely immune compromised, can actually grow in the lungs. If the mould levels are massive then the risk increases for health effects.

If there has been floods and it has not been cleaned and dried within 48-72 hrs. then mould will definitely be there. This is one of the things that has to be rectified otherwise you will never get rid of it.

With high humidity one would expect allergies from dust mites and possibly cockroaches. This can get worse with time.

Radon is a possibility depending on the background rock formation. Pennsylvania appears to be a high risk area. Check this website for your friends location. http://www.epa.gov/radon/zonemap.html. If this person has lived in this site for some time than there may be a risk. EPA suggests that the site be tested. The test is pretty inexpensive.

You never mentioned if the floods were strictly water or sewage. If sewage then your looking at bacteria.

Other things that may be an issue could be CO; cleaning products, poor ventilation, possible off gassing from newer furniture/carpeting.

Without knowing exactly the history or what your friends illness is, this is the best I could come up with.

Ancillary email:

I would get your friend to contact EPA and OSHA for information. I believe there is an agency call HUDAC, a housing development government agency that should be able to help.

Hope you can discover things Lisa from your tests.

Good Morning...:-)

I received the mold testing kit yesterday, read through it three times to make sure I understood the process and performed the test this morning.

The sample was collected at 9:47 am and I ran the test strips at 9:49 am.

Strip 1 tested for Aspergillus and/or Penicillium. The test result was NEGATIVE. ( a single colored line appears in the control window to indicate this.)

Strip 2 tested for Stachybotrys, ( I think this is the black mold stuff mentioned by Voyageur's friend in the post above).
Strip 2 tested POSITIVE.
( Two colored lines appear - one in the control window and one in the test window. The colored line in the Control window appeared brighter and more intense than the line in the test window, and the accompanying literature mentions this and says that the appearance of ANY colored line in the test window, accompanied by a colored line in the control window indicates a positive test result.

So, according to this, I have black mold in the bathroom.

Thank you very much for ordering this test kit and sending it to me. And Voyageur, I thank you also for consulting with your friend and sharing his response with us.
I really appreciate the information and that you asked on my behalf.

So now you can take that to the doctor to show, right? Does the result "stick" or fade? Do you need to take a photo of it?

I tried to take a photo of it and it didn't come out well. I think the strip fades. But I have three swabs left from the test kit that are still in the packaging. When I get the appointment with the allergist, I can bring samples with me.

Lisa Guliani said:
I tried to take a photo of it and it didn't come out well. I think the strip fades. But I have three swabs left from the test kit that are still in the packaging. When I get the appointment with the allergist, I can bring samples with me.

Good job.

Have you been looking into the black mold problem so that you can talk about comparisons between what has been recorded/documented and what you have experienced?

I'm thinking that if this mold thing is at the bottom of your illness, you may have a serous lawsuit and serious compensation.

This page has already been posted, right? http://blackmold.awardspace.com/black-mold-toxic-stachybotrys-mycotoxins.html

Lisa Guliani said:
Strip 2 tested for Stachybotrys, ( I think this is the black mold stuff mentioned by Voyageur's friend in the post above).
Strip 2 tested POSITIVE.

Given this positive result - finding another place to live ASAP - should be top priority. Even if you have to bunk on someone's couch till you can find something else, I'd get the hell out of there and the lawyers can hash out the rest later.

The book on Raynaud's arrived yesterday. I work the week-end, but will give it a read first part of the week. It's not a very big book, so if you PM your address, I'll forward it on to you. I'm hoping for your sake, just getting out of the black mold will reverse your symptoms and you will be right as rain again soon.

Now I'm thinking I need to get one of those tests for my son's apartment. He's been having a lot of headaches, and the house he rents an apartment in is old as dirt and the landlord is a "slumlord". Is the link for the test kit listed in this thread? I may have missed it.

Yep, I'm looking into it. I want to see what the allergist has to say and get some testing done at the hospital lab before pursuing a legal avenue, Laura. I have to be able to show a lawyer something like lab test results. Something definitive. If I'm gonna go after these people, I don't want them to be able to wiggle out of it.

1) I think you could call the rent management company, get assertive with them, tell them that you've had umpteen medical tests and now the doctors are suspecting some kind of mold, that you got a test kit and it is positive and there IS black mold, and they need to take care of it like right NOW and that means to pay for you to stay elsewhere until the problem is sorted (you don't have to tell them you won't be coming back),

2) Or get a lawyer on the horn. One of the ones posted above who deals with this mold business. Just tell them that you are sick, the doctors keep talking about cutting off your feet, medical tests thus far have not isolated the problem and now you are scheduled for the mold allergy tests; meanwhile, you got a test kit and it shows black mold, and you need to get out of the place like right now, so what to do?

Or a combination of the above. I think you need to get out of there yesterday.

Lisa Guliani said:
Yep, I'm looking into it. I want to see what the allergist has to say and get some testing done at the hospital lab before pursuing a legal avenue, Laura. I have to be able to show a lawyer something like lab test results. Something definitive. If I'm gonna go after these people, I don't want them to be able to wiggle out of it.

Well, here's one opinion:

http://www.cleanwaterpartners.org/mold/legal-aspects.html

Mold contamination has become an increasing problem in homes, offices, and other indoor places across the United States. Mold can cause a lot of health problems to people who are exposed to it, and in severe cases, exposure to mold spores can even be fatal. Due to this growing concern, many different laws have been passed, which protect the rights of people in case of mold contamination. Here are some of the legal aspects of mold contamination.

Landlord and Tenant: The landlord has a responsibility to ensure proper living conditions for his tenants, which includes having premises free from any kind of mold contamination. If you are a tenant, and have discovered any mold in your rented premises, then it is the duty of the landlord to get the mold removed and pay for any such removal. Landlords, who fail to make their property free from mold contamination, can be sued by their tenants.

{In short, you notify them immediately to fix the problem. In writing. Like today.}

As a tenant, if you have suffered from any illness due to mold contamination in your rented apartment, then you can sue the landlord for compensation and damage. The first thing that you need to do is to provide evidence of mold contamination. A report from a home inspector, which affirms the presence of mold in your home, can be sufficient proof of mold contamination. You also need to get the air quality tested to determine if there are elevated and harmful levels of mold spores in your rented premises.

Under the law, it is not the duty of the landlord to provide or pay for such proof, or to get the premises tested for any signs of mold contamination. The burden of providing such proof lies with the tenant. But if there is in fact any mold contamination found, and the landlord has been proved guilty of neglecting his responsibilities, then a tenant can recover any expenses relating to gathering of the proof, as well as any other damages that may arise due to mold contamination.

{Call the county health department - board of health to get an inspector out there right away. Tell them you are sick already, that you've done a preliminary test.}

<snip>

Damages Due to Mold Contamination

If you have suffered from any disease due to mold contamination at your workplace, in a rented apartment, or in your new home, then you may be entitled to receive the following damages:

Medical expenses incurred on illnesses due to mold contamination. Future expenses can also be claimed as damages.
Pain, anguish, and suffering.
Damages for loss of wages as a result of mold illnesses.
Loss of earning capacity.
Damages due to loss of companionship, comfort, financial losses etc in case of death due to illness caused by mold contamination. Such damages can be recovered by survivors of the deceased.
Damages for destruction of property due to mold contamination.
Punitive damages.

Mold contamination is a very serious problem, which can result in a host of problems, medical and otherwise. If you have suffered in any way due to mold contamination, you should hire a lawyer immediately, to protect your rights and recover any damages that you may be entitled to.

Click Here To Contact An
Expert Toxic Mold Lawyer Today!

Another:

Mold is one of the newest environmental hazards causing concern among renters. Across the country, tenants have won multimillion-dollar cases against landlords for significant health problems -- such as rashes, chronic fatigue, nausea, cognitive losses, hemorrhaging, and asthma -- allegedly caused by exposure to "toxic molds" in their building.

Landlord Legal Responsibilities for Tenant Exposure to Mold

With a few exceptions, landlord responsibilities regarding mold have not been clearly spelled out in building codes, ordinances, statutes, or regulations. Below is a discussion of the few states and cities that do have mold laws, and an explanation of how landlords can be held responsible for mold problems even absent specific laws governing mold.

Federal Law on Mold

No federal law sets permissible exposure limits or building tolerance standards for mold in residential buildings.

State Laws on Mold

Only a few states have taken steps toward establishing permissible mold standards. California, Indiana, Maryland, New Jersey, and Texas are among the few that have passed laws aimed at developing guidelines and regulations for mold in indoor air.

Where to Find Information on Mold-Related Laws

For information on mold rules and regulations in your state. check with your state department of environmental protection (find yours at the federal EPA website) or your state department of public health (the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a list).

For local mold-related rules, contact your city manager or mayor’s office or local health department. Check out State and Local Government on the Net (www.statelocalgov.net) for finding local governments online.

Even if your state or city doesn't have specific mold laws, your landlord may still be liable for a mold problem in your rental.

Some landlords include clauses in the lease that purport to relieve them from any liability resulting from mold growth. At least one court (in Tennessee) has refused to enforce such a clause, ruling that to do so would be against public policy. More cases from other parts of the country are sure to arise as mold litigation makes its way through the courts.

More links:
http://www.ktnv.com/news/local/158452905.html

http://www.toxicmoldadvisor.com/mold-and-landlords

Mold Inspection and Remediation

The first step to resolving a mold problem is to notify your landlord, in writing, by certified mail, of your concern. Keep documentation of every conversation you have with the landlord about your mold concerns. These documents will become important if you end up in court to resolve the issue.

Ask your landlord for a professional mold inspection; if mold is found, insist on professional mold remediation. Some landlords will try to resolve a mold problem themselves, unaware that the process of cleaning and removing mold often releases more mold spores into the air, where they will affect both the cleaner and the residents who have to live there.

If your landlord is unwilling to resolve the toxic mold problem in your house or apartment, be prepared to move to a safer living space. If moving means breaking your lease or rental agreement, you might need the help of an attorney to keep from being penalized.

http://www.toxicmoldadvisor.com/toxic-mold-law

Document every contact you make about this matter, including the time, day, date, what was said by both parties, and any promises made. End every such conversation with a firm date by which the next action should be accomplished and document that date. If you have these conversations by phone, follow with a letter recapping what was agreed upon. Save copies of all letters.

Hire a mold inspector or mold remediation professional to test for the presence of toxic mold in your home and the scope of the problem. You will need firm evidence that a problem exists if you later take the matter to court.

Keep records of every doctor visit, every prescription, and every lost day of work. Tell your doctors and your employer that you believe you have been exposed to toxic mold, so that fact is noted in their records.

Keep receipts for relocation and any other expenses that arise from your mold problem.

I don't think you have to prove that the mold caused the problems via medical tests because I'm not sure there are any that can do that. You only have to prove that there is mold and that you got sick. So do not put this off and wait for the doctors to prove it for you.

http://inspectapedia.com/sickhouse/Rental_Unit_Mold.htm

Action Advice for Tenants in Moldy Apartments

On-site inspection is important: Keep in mind that anyone whose opinion you seek by telephone, email, or web "prospecting", even if s/he is very competent, is distant and can't see all of the site conditions. Therefore such advice can only be general, and we must keep in mind that there could be, in fact probably are, important observations that might change the assessment of an individual situation as well as the advice on steps to take.

If more than ten square feet of moldy material is found in a building or if mold returns after you have cleaned a small moldy surface, ask your landlord to fix the problem.

Advice to Renters when health complaints appear related to spending time in a building - where Mold is Visible or Suspected

Building-related illness symptoms often stop or diminish quickly when the suffering person leaves that location. A simple subjective test which you have applied is the observation that you suffer health complaints soon on entry to the building and they stop when you've been out of the building.

Contents may be contaminated from a prior residence: Of course if someone's apartment contents were mold-contaminated from a previous residence those complaints could still occur, so it's important to rule out that chance by recalling what reactions you had to your previous home.

Mold related illness symptoms don't always stop right away: Finally, while some building-related or building-aggravated health complaints diminish or stop entirely on leaving that environment, other complaints may be slow to appear and also slow to diminish even after leaving the problem environment. In fact high exposure to some materials such as allergens or mold can increase sensitivity to those particles in some individuals, making them later react to even low levels of such particles in a new environment.
Health Risks for Tenants in Rental Apartments - Compromised immune system increases vulnerability to mold-related illness

The fact that a building occupant's immune system is compromised places that person at extra risk and means that s/he and the contents of their apartment need to be protected carefully.

People at extra risk of health problems if exposed to moldy dust and demolition debris include elderly, infants, immune-compromised, asthmatics, people suffering from COPD or other respiratory illness, and possibly others. While chronic exposure to high levels of toxic or allergenic mold can make even some healthy people become sensitized as well, the people I just listed should be particularly careful about exposure.

Advice When Building management is slow to address mold problems properly

Mold cleanup cost concerns: Sometimes a building management is reluctant to face the expense and trouble of handling leaks and mold contamination correctly. Correct response might require a (costly) thorough building survey, evaluation, diagnosis of problem areas and their causes and specification of the steps to remedy them, followed by performing of the work followed by clearance inspection and testing by someone not at all connected with the contractors performing the remediation. It would be rare for a building manager to have such an expert on full-time staff, so hiring an outside expert would be necessary.

Mold fear concerns: Reluctance of building managers to address mold also comes from the wish to avoid alarming other tenants. In our experience this is always a mistaken notion, as tenants talk to one another anyway, and building-related illness frightens people - fear spreading faster than mold growth. Accurate information and the assurance that tenant concerns are being handled competently is more effective than other less direct responses by building management.

True cost of improper mold remediation: Half-baked or amateur workmanship risks increasing the ultimate cost to the building management:

Improper mold cleanup can increase indoor mold levels, making building occupants sick and/or by contaminating their belongings leading to the need for additional cleaning of contents and personal items.
Improper mold remediation can lead to unnecessarily high costs of repeated attempts to clean up or remove problem mold or even repeated visits by building inspectors and "mold testers" until someone finally correctly diagnoses the causes of problem mold and finds the actual mold reservoirs, including moldy materials that may not have been obvious based on just a superficial inspection, an air test, swab, or culture mold sample.
Risks of mold-related illness may spread to other building occupants or to future tenants in the same rental space if the cleanup is not properly performed.
Improper mold causation diagnosis risks having to repeat the mold cleanup because the basic causes of mold growth have not been identified and corrected

In sum, it's least costly if mold remediation is performed properly in the first place.

Notify in writing: You should notify building management in writing of unhealthy unsafe conditions that need attention and that you are unable to live in the apartment. If you are not certain of the presence of unsafe conditions in the rental apartment, your letter should state your observations, complaints, concerns, and ask the building management to bring in the appropriate professional to inspect, diagnose, and if needed, specify what repairs, cleaning, or remediation are needed.

In cases where persistent water problems are not addressed, you may want to contact local, state, or federal health or housing authorities. Also see Health Department.

Simple mold testing: You might be successful in identifying some of the mold suspect material you see as problematic, and you might collect a settled dust sample to see you can pick up indications of other problem molds or allergens.

However identifying mold in an apartment, while it may convince building management to act, does not and cannot establish the level of exposure that an individual has had to the mold found, nor does it assure that the mold identified is the only or even the main hazard. The prime use of tenant sampling in this case is to show management that there is at least some evidence of problem mold in the building.

In some egregious cases tenants have taken their complaint to the local health department.

If you live in another city or town, contact your local health department for advice. But beware; the staff at some health departments may not be educated about the common causes, extent, and potential health complaints often associated with mold exposure.

Lots more stuff on that page.

Another news item on a blog about it:
http://moldblogger.com/black-mold-forces-family-to-leave-rental/

They are asking for stories, so maybe they might give some guidance?

Not sure how helpful this can be, so FWIW:

http://www.ei-resource.org/expert-columns/dr.-lisa-nagys-column/neurological-and-immunological-problems-associated-with-mold-and-mycotoxin-exposure/

Neurological and Immunological Problems associated with Mold and Mycotoxin Exposure

Lisa Lavine Nagy M.D. graduated Magna Cum Laude from The University of Pennsylvania and then from Cornell Medical College in 1986. After a surgical internship she completed Emergency Medicine residency at Metropolitan Hospital in NYC and practiced in Los Angeles until becoming severely ill (Addison’s Disease, Mitochondrial Myopathy, Dysautonomia) –as a result of a complex medical condition known as Chemical Sensitivity or Environmental Illness.

Her story of survival and journey of discovery which led her to determine what had made her have such severe symptoms inspired ABC’s ‘Nightline’ to interview her this year and many newspapers and magazines to feature her recovery. In her case it was due to toxic mold and in others it is due to pesticide or chemical exposure. She learned about the field of Environmental Medicine and it’s focus on finding the causes of disease including genetic, hormonal, nutritional, allergic, and environmental factors.

[...]Her website is www.EnvironmentalMedicineInfo.com

Below is a selection of research papers highlighting the effects of exposure to mold on the nervous and immune systems which Dr. Nagy feels are important.

Arch Environ Health. 2003 Aug;58(8):464-74.

Neural autoantibodies and neurophysiologic abnormalities in patients exposed to molds in water-damaged buildings.

Campbell AW, Thrasher JD, Madison RA, Vojdani A, Gray MR, Johnson A.
Medical Center for Immune and Toxic Disorders, Spring, Texas 77386, USA. md@immunotoxicology.com

Adverse health effects of fungal bioaerosols on occupants of water-damaged homes and other buildings have been reported. Recently, it has been suggested that mold exposure causes neurological injury. The authors investigated neurological antibodies and neurophysiological abnormalities in patients exposed to molds at home who developed symptoms of peripheral neuropathy (i.e., numbness, tingling, tremors, and muscle weakness in the extremities). Serum samples were collected and analyzed with the enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) technique for antibodies to myelin basic protein, myelin-associated glycoprotein, ganglioside GM1, sulfatide, myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein, alpha-B-crystallin, chondroitin sulfate, tubulin, and neurofilament. Antibodies to molds and mycotoxins were also determined with ELISA, as reported previously. Neurophysiologic evaluations for latency, amplitude, and velocity were performed on 4 motor nerves (median, ulnar, peroneal, and tibial), and for latency and amplitude on 3 sensory nerves (median, ulnar, and sural). Patients with documented, measured exposure to molds had elevated titers of antibodies (immunoglobulin [Ig]A, IgM, and IgG) to neural-specific antigens. Nerve conduction studies revealed 4 patient groupings: (1) mixed sensory-motor polyneuropathy (n = 55, abnormal), (2) motor neuropathy (n = 17, abnormal), (3) sensory neuropathy (n = 27, abnormal), and (4) those with symptoms but no neurophysiological abnormalities (n = 20, normal controls). All groups showed significantly increased autoantibody titers for all isotypes (IgA, IgM, and IgG) of antibodies to neural antigens when compared with 500 healthy controls. Groups 1 through 3 also exhibited abnormal neurophysiologic findings. The authors concluded that exposure to molds in water-damaged buildings increased the risk for development of neural autoantibodies, peripheral neuropathy, and neurophysiologic abnormalities in exposed individuals.

[...]

In the study below, they tried something called CSM therapy which involves cholestyramine -- I have no idea if that's a safe stuff. Wikipedia has listed some possible bad side effects.

http://www.chronicneurotoxins.com/learnmore/latestAbstracts.cfm

Sick Building Syndrome: Possible Association with Exposure to Mycotoxins from Indoor Air Fungi

HK Hudnell1, RS Shoemaker2
1US Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, NC 27711 USA
2McCready Outpatient Services Center, Pocomoke City, MD 21851 USA

Introduction. Chronic human illness associated with residential or occupational buildings, commonly referred to as sick building syndrome (SBS), may be a multifactorial condition, involving in some cases volatile organic compounds, CO or CO2, pesticides, biologic agents, temperature and humidity, lighting, and neuropsychological status. Recent evidence indicated that the primary causative factor in a subset of SBS cases may be exposure to mycotoxins from indoor air fungi. A variety of fungal genera, including Stachybotrys, Aspergillus, Penicillium and Cladosporium, have been identified on interior cellulose materials following water intrusion. Many species have been shown to produce mycotoxins and release spores to air. Mycotoxin exposure has been associated with effects on the nervous, digestive, respiratory, cutaneous, urinary, reproductive, immune and other systems (1). Dr. Shoemaker's data from a series of cases are described to illustrate a new approach to diagnosis and treatment of mycotoxin-induced SBS.

... Cases were treated solely with an orally administered, non-absorbable polymer, cholestyramine (CSM), that binds salts from bile through anion exchange. CSM was previously used to successfully treat chronic illness induced by other biotoxins (2), presumably by preventing toxin recirculation through enterohepatic reabsorption, thereby enhancing toxin elimination rates.

[...]

Results. One or more genera of toxin forming fungi was identified in each building. All cases reported neurologic symptoms and symptoms involving at least three other systems. All cases showed depressed VCS in the presence of normal visual acuity, indicative of a neurologic effect. No probable alternative causes of illness were identified. Following 2 weeks of CSM therapy in the absence of re-exposure, all cases showed normal VCS and at least a 90% resolution of symptoms. Relapse occurred only with re-exposure and resolved with re-treatment.

Conclusions. Even in the absence of measures of airborne spore concentrations and mycotoxin levels in tissue, these results strongly support the hypothesis of mycotoxicosis in these SBS patients. Multiple system symptoms, the objective indication of a neurologic effect provided by VCS, relapse with re-exposure and successive recoveries following CSM therapy are consistent with this diagnosis. The CSM response in these chronically ill patients unresponsive to previous treatments has no known explanation other than enhancement of toxin elimination rates. This is an abstract of a proposed presentation and does not necessarily reflect EPA policy.
References. 1. HM Ammann. Is indoor mold contamination a threat to health? http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/oehas/mold.html
2. RS Shoemaker & HK Hudnell. Possible estuary associated syndrome: symptoms, vision and treatment. http://ehpnet1.niehs.nih.gov/docs/2001/109p539-545shoemaker/abstract.html

http://virtualmentor.ama-assn.org/2009/06/oped1-0906.html

What Primary Physicians Should Know about Environmental Causes of Illness

William J. Rea, MD

.... Chronic inflammatory diseases of unknown cause can often be a sign of environmental sensitivity or overload. Conditions such as thrombophlebitis, vasculitis, arthritis, colitis, Crohn’s disease, esophagitis, and sinusitis can have triggering agents such as molds, foods, and chemicals. If these conditions continue to recur in a patient, the environmental stimuli should be sought, found, and eliminated or treated with intradermal provocative neutralization therapy and proper nutrition. ...

The generalist should also be aware that chronic fatigue often has environmental elements and medication as triggering agents. These agents range from food and food additives to mold and mycotoxins, volatile organic hydrocarbons, heavy metals, particulates from African and Asian dusts, car exhausts, and factory and farm emanations. Any of these incitants can cause arrhythmias, heart failure, GI upset, cerebral dysfunction, fibromyalgia, and neuropathy. Often they cause or propagate chronic fatigue, which then progresses or is prolonged for years. Recurrent fibromyalgia often accompanies chronic fatigue with pain in the muscles and spasm, which often responds to magnesium compounds like magnesium citrate, gluconate, glycinate, or chloride in doses of 500 to 1,000 mg per day. Diarrhea is the limiting factor in this type of treatment. Successful treatment comes in eliminating as many triggering agents as possible. Often, molds and mycotoxins cause chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia. ...

An example here is a man whose office became extremely moldy. He developed chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia, which became incapacitating. Mold cultures in the office showed high levels of Aspergillus niger, ochratoxins, and stachybotrys. Mycotoxin levels in his urine showed elevated levels of aflatoxin, ochratoxin, and tricothecene. Intradermal skin tests proved positive for the three molds and mycotoxins. He eliminated his exposure by moving his office to a mold-free area and received subcutaneous neutralization shots for the offending molds and mycotoxins, intravenous and oral nutrients, and heat depuration (sauna) therapy. After 3 months’ treatment, he was again vigorous, free of fatigue and fibromyalgia.

Sometimes patients with chronic fatigue or peripheral and central neuropathy who have short-term memory loss, headaches, and dizziness are unable to walk a straight line with their eyes open or closed and cannot stand on their toes. They may have high venous oxygen-extraction levels, which indicates the inability to extract oxygen in the tissues even though oxygen exchange across the lung membrane is from 95 to 100 percent. Frequently, there is enough oxygen in the tissues to keep the patient alive but not enough for optimum function. Such patients need extended oxygen therapy.

Hang in there Lisa! :hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

Lisa, I was just reading about EDTA chelation therapy and thought of you. I posted what I was reading here:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,30709.msg404097.html#msg404097

check out all the posts regarding the EDTA therapy, because see what they say:

When 65 patients on the waiting list for CABG surgery for a mean of 6 months were treated with EDTA chelation therapy, the symptoms in 89% (58) improved so much they were able to cancel their surgery. In the same study, of 27 patients recommended for limb amputation due to poor peripheral circulation, EDTA chelation resulted in saving 24 limbs.

But read it all so that you understand what it does, and how it cleans the arteries from accumulated metals and minerals.

I have been astonished at the crass incompetence of the medical profession in the US while reading through this thread. Looks like these poeple are highly trained functional illiterates. I'd bet that collectively the people who have posted to this thread are more competent than any given equally large group of USan doctors, not for nothing a Spanish word for doctors is matasanos ;-)

On a more serious note, in addition to all else what was said, on dealing with mold:
- Take passable photos of all surfaces where mold is visible. Also look behind and under mobiliary. If the cam has this function, let it timestamp the photos (dont forget setting time/date correctly). This is for dealing with the landlord.
- Wash your walls, ceilings, floors with a mix of water, vinegar and salt. For one liter of water, add a small cup (125ml) of vinegar and the same cup full of salt, mix well so the salt dissolves. Use a breath protection mask so you don't breath in the mold while working. If available, also use one of those white full-body jumpsuits which painters use. Wash until all visible traces of the mold are gone. Do NOT rinse off after the last washing but let the mix it dry in place. When it has dried you'll notice small salt crystals, that's OK. Explanation: vinegar kills the mold, salt keeps the surface dry and makes it difficult for the mold to regrow. Use this mix rather than bleach or other commercial poisons, which may cause you respiratory troubles. Put all cleaning material like overall, breath masks, sponges ... which you used in one of those big black garbage bags of plastic, close tight and throw in the garbage.
- To deal with the symptoms, try Loratadin 10mg or Desloratadin 5mg. These are the most common anti-hystaminica used around here for allergies due to mold and pollen and they are not subject to prescription (do the doctors on the thread have any objection?).
- Another thing is an allergy test. I went 2 years ago or so to a special lab where they put 10-12 drops of different substances on my inner arm and made needlepricks on these patches and then let that "work" for several minutes. Based on where I'd get a red swelling plus a blood test they'd tell me what allergenes I had. I had no mold problem at that time. Where I live, the city runs these labs b/c they are very much on top of health issues related to the many old buildings here. You may want to see if you can make one of these tests and if your insurance or your city will pay for it.
Another tip with mold is to keep your abode well ventilated, just blowing heat on affected surfaces or heating the place will not help. Open your windows at least twice a day for a couple of minutes and let air circulate through the place. If you have condensation on the interior side of windows and especially if the window frames are made of plastic, then you are not airing enough. If you can incline your windows instead of opening them totally, use that feature.
Last but not least, where I live you can buy special paint which repels mold. It is expensive, and IMO this should be paid by your landlord, in addition probably of sealing off the walls against moisture.

Where I live, mold is a no-discussion no-no: if there is mold, the landlord must deal with it or he risks having the whole building declared unfit for inhabitation. We recently had a small outbreak in the kitchen b/c a piece of the outer stucco fell off, what led moisture into the wall. We made photos and emailed the landlord, and within 3-4 working days they had people climbing down from the roof and re-sealing of the wall. Next week we'll have them paint the whole kitchen with anti-mold paint.

Most important, keep your ears stiff and get well Lisa, OK?
[me=name]pats Lisa on the back: P A T ! P A T ! P A T ! [/me]

Oh boy. I called the attorney who is linked on page 13 of this thread: the name is Yurchak. This attorney can't even do a consult on this until April 3rd, so I have to look for another lawyer who can talk with me sooner than that.

I called the hospital to set up an appointment with an Allergist. The first appointment they could give me was for April 8th. Unacceptable. So I asked to be transferred to the nurses' station, spoke with a nurse and she is having the scheduler contact me on Monday. Apparently, the scheduler "left the building' in the 3 minutes I was on the phone with the nurse. ( Eye-rolling begins.)

I just also learned that my doctor's office ( internal med and primary care doc) did not yet return the FMLA paperwork they promised my employer and me they would return this past Wednesday - UNTIL TODAY ( like 5 minutes ago). Because of this, my FMLA hasn't been approved yet, according to the certified letter my mail carrier just delivered to me.

The short term disability check from Aflac that was allegedly mailed on the 12th has not arrived yet, the allergist office may not be able to schedule me earlier than April 8th ( but I'll learn more hopefully on Monday) and I can't see the chiropractor or the allergist until the check arrives.

Thank you for all the suggestions and information in the above posts. I'm looking for another attorney, but chances are that I won't have any luck with that until Monday.
Hopefully, the insurance check will arrive by then so I can pay a retainer.

What a nightmare. I'm doing my best here, but really don't feel up to all of this.

Lisa Guliani said:
What a nightmare. I'm doing my best here, but really don't feel up to all of this.

I know you don't feel up to it and that is what makes it so infuriating. Perhaps you should sit down, write one of your excellent rants about it, and send it as an email to all the local media?

Back
Top Bottom